-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've built 4 6x6.8 rigs, 2 ar15s, 2 bolt rigs and they were just perfect for coyote to deer.
Being so accurate I sold them and built 2 savage 6x6.8 rifles. The savage builds are more so accurate, no issues at all. 55g to 90g all sub moa, 22 inch 1/9 twist black hole barrels from ritches precision
I got 2 die sets from ch4d and 1 hornady die set in a group buy on PM, also have a redding bushing die set.
The best single bullet for coyotes to deer is the 90g noslers hbt and 90g Sierra tgk.
Powder h335 is tops.

I almost did the 6mm grendel but the 6.8 case offered me 3000fps vs maybe 2700 with the 6mm grendel, very happy I did.
This was way before the 6mm arc and the 6x6.8 is still better IMO.
I am building a 6mm arc for a rancher right now due to the simple fact it's factory supported.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Problem with 6ARC is you can't push it unless your using a bolt action and that's where it really shines! As does the Grendel itself. I've got a 6mm Predator same as 6Grendel in an AR platform and it's doing well with 105 RDFs!

The 6.8 case can take more pressure than the 6ARC which gives it an upper hand in an AR platform.

MAGA! This is the way!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
You want to sell the hides or blow the sh*t out of them? Lot a guys on here will swear till hell freezes over that the 223 is good enough for deer should not be a problem taking coyotes + salvaging the hide. Seems to me a 224 Valkyrie would be the logical move, I see that as more availible than the 6 arc and no dicking around converting brass or hunting for loads. You asked

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Problem with 6ARC is you can't push it unless your using a bolt action and that's where it really shines! As does the Grendel itself. I've got a 6mm Predator same as 6Grendel in an AR platform and it's doing well with 105 RDFs!

The 6.8 case can take more pressure than the 6ARC which gives it an upper hand in an AR platform.

+1
We saw the 6mm ARC in the highpower rifle world as the 6mm AR and the 6mm Fat Rat...and it wasn't uncommon that I'd hear about AR bolts shedding lugs. I'm hearing it's also a thing with the Grendel (at one time AA said you needed to use their enhanced bolts for longevity). Ever wonder why Hornady downloads their ARC? Problems arise when either A) you're shooting thousands of rounds in practice and competition...or B) you're hotrodding your handloads (as many in our sport are prone to do).

Low volume and moderate pressure (50k)...you could be fine.

I have a 6mm WOA and it does great to 600 yards. I neck down in one pass and fireform with a reduced load (no COW, TP and Pistol powder for me!).

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
SAAMI spec for the 6mm ARC is only 54K psi.
That wider cartridge base shaves a lot of steel from the bolt in places that it matters.

Sure, you gain in case volume, but you give much of that gain back in reduced safe pressure levels in the AR platform.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/16/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
That wider cartridge base shaves a lot of steel from the bolt in places that it matters.

Sure, you can in case volume, but you give much of that gain back in reduced safe pressure levels in the AR platform.

One of the reasons I'm thinking about going with the 6x45 instead of the ARC. I was hopefull the 6mm ARC would be successful, but when you look at the bolt face of one of those, it kind of makes you cringe. Dang it... You and ChrisF are hitting on some good points.. Also one of the reasons I asked you who makes die sets for 6x45. I don't really care if the 6x45 isn't quite as fast as the 6mm ARC, but what is important is the fact that the 6x45 bolt is likely not going to come apart. I don't think the 6WOA has the same issues as the ARC in this regard, but having owned a 6WOA, I can tell you that getting anything out of WOA is like pulling teeth and you are very limited in the die sets you can buy/find. That becomes a major hassle as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sure, you can in case volume, but you give much of that gain back in reduced safe pressure levels in the AR platform.

One of the reasons I'm thinking about going with the 6x45 instead of the ARC. I was hopefull the 6mm ARC would be successful, but when you look at the bolt face of one of those, it kind of makes you cringe. Dang it... You and ChrisF are hitting on some good points.. Also one of the reasons I asked you who makes die sets for 6x45. I don't really care if the 6x45 isn't quite as fast as the 6mm ARC, but what is important is the fact that the 6x45 bolt is likely not going to come apart. I don't think the 6WOA has the same issues as the ARC in this regard, but having owned a 6WOA, I can tell you that getting anything out of WOA is like pulling teeth and you are very limited in the die sets you can buy/find. That becomes a major hassle as far as I'm concerned.

BSA, your hitting on a lot of the reasons I went with the 6x45. In this state, 6mm is the minimum for big game, and an 85gr bullet for elk. Not that I don't have better guns for elk, but it's nice to have the option.
Lots of folks here killed a lot of game with the 5.56 so I wanted to keep as close to the 5.56 as possible.

Same bolt, same mags, same brass, likes the same powders, and the die I wanted (Forster) off the shelf, and barrels on close out for $85 when Columbia River bought out BHW made it an easy call for me.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

BSA, your hitting on a lot of the reasons I went with the 6x45. In this state, 6mm is the minimum for big game, and an 85gr bullet for elk. Not that I don't have better guns for elk, but it's nice to have the option.
Lots of folks here killed a lot of game with the 5.56 so I wanted to keep as close to the 5.56 as possible.

Same bolt, same mags, same brass, likes the same powders, and the die I wanted (Forster) off the shelf, and barrels on close out for $85 when Columbia River bought out BHW made it an easy call for me.

Makes a lot of sense to me man.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you want to get technical I believe the true parent case for the grandel for the 220 Russian. Which the PPC cases were made from. And the Grendel is stretch I think .070 and shoulder angle just a bit different than a ppc . 7.62 x 39 is close . Never tried to make grendel brass from x 39 doesn't work as good as one expected . I always knew the 300 Blackout and its previous Life as a 300 whisper

Last edited by ldholton; 02/16/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I just bought a reloading die set for the 6x45. I'm glad you can buy a damn RCBS die set for this cartridge. Like I said, you can't for the 6WOA. You are basically stuck with what you get. Not much support in that department. I have a chit ton of 6mm bullets and bought a bunch of the 90gr Sierra game changers that I had high hopes for in the 6WOA, but it absolutely hated that pill. It loved the 85gr GK, but that bullet has a bc like a spit wad. I've been eyeballing the 6x45 for a long time and damn near bought one before the 6WOA came along. I was hoping the WOA would be better, but in the end, I'm not thinking so. I have my eye on a 20" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and will hit the buy button here in a bit. I'm thinking it will be a great shooter. We will see. I also don't care that I'm giving up 100 fps to the WOA either. At least the 6x45 will stabilize the 90+ gr bullets.. That's my only word of caution to anyone looking to build a 6x6.8 AKA 6WOA, be mindful of the twist rate. I'd be looking at a 1 in 8 minimum.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I just bought a reloading die set for the 6x45. I'm glad you can buy a damn RCBS die set for this cartridge. Like I said, you can't for the 6WOA. You are basically stuck with what you get. Not much support in that department. I have a chit ton of 6mm bullets and bought a bunch of the 90gr Sierra game changers that I had high hopes for in the 6WOA, but it absolutely hated that pill. It loved the 85gr GK, but that bullet has a bc like a spit wad. I've been eyeballing the 6x45 for a long time and damn near bought one before the 6WOA came along. I was hoping the WOA would be better, but in the end, I'm not thinking so. I have my eye on a 20" barrel with a 1 in 8 twist and will hit the buy button here in a bit. I'm thinking it will be a great shooter. We will see. I also don't care that I'm giving up 100 fps to the WOA either. At least the 6x45 will stabilize the 90+ gr bullets.. That's my only word of caution to anyone looking to build a 6x6.8 AKA 6WOA, be mindful of the twist rate. I'd be looking at a 1 in 8 minimum.

Here you go:

https://columbiariverarms.com/product/6x45-1x8-20-configurable/

20" 1/8 twist, Caudle 3-land polygonal rifling, choose your threads and profile.
No sales at the moment, so machine finish is full retail of $295.00, and add $30.00 if you want the black satin finish.
Delivery times are running 3 to 12 months, so, you'll have to decide what you think about that as it compares to what else might be out there in these interesting times.

Best of luck with your build.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/19/21.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Here you go:

20" 1/8 twist, Caudle 3-land polygonal rifling, choose your threads and profile.
No sales at the moment, so machine finish is full retail of $295.00, and add $30.00 if you want the black satin finish.
Delivery times are running 3 to 12 months, so, you'll have to decide what you think about that as it compares to what else might be out there in these interesting times.

Thanks buddy, but I bought a barrel that I'll have in 3 to 5 days. I don't like to wait on things. From what I hear, they are very accurate as well. Tons of good reviews from other sites, it's twisted right (1 in 8), stainless and 20". Plus it's a good deal at $250.00 We will see....Dies and every thing else is on its way too... Should be shooting it by next weekend.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Here you go:

Thanks buddy, but I bought a barrel that I'll have in 3 to 5 days. I don't like to wait on things. From what I hear, they are very accurate as well. Tons of good reviews from other sites, it's twisted right (1 in 8), stainless and 20". Plus it's a good deal at $250.00 We will see....Dies and every thing else is on its way too... Should be shooting it by next weekend.

I can understand not wanting to wait. Figured that even in these times you'd have a line on something of good quality. I look forward to hearing about your results.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'll let you guys know, as per usual.. Hopefully it will be alright (sub moa for 10 shots). I have a pretty good selection of bullets that were just sitting. I also found some 100gr Hornady btsp interlocks today and a partial box (80 pcs) of 85gr Sierra bthp gamekings. Those were only $10.00 at a shop that had a bunch of partial boxes of reloading components. I also saw some 85gr tsx bullets, but figured the 6x45 doesn't push them fast enough to warrant a mono metal. One shop I was at today had some BCG's. They had some JP enterprises BCG's for $239.00 and some SAA nickel boron BCG's. Those were $189.99. I didn't need another BCG, but spent the money on one and also bought an older like new stainless Ruger 10-22 with metal trigger guard. Lucked out on that one as well, only $249.00. Didn't appear to have been shot much. I've been on the lookout for one of the older ones for a while now. Couldn't pass on that deal.. I wonder what the OP is doing with his builds? That reminds me, I have a 6.8 SPC bolt if the OP wants it, for a small fee, and about 30 pcs of brass that was sized for my 6WOA. Its primed with BR4 primers. I also have some mags. ASC and another brand. I'd have to check to see what they are, but if the OP is interested in anything like that, he can pm me... I know bolts and chidt are kind of hard to find right now..

BSA MAGA
S
S
I bought a 22” 1-8 twist barrel from BHW in 6x6.8. And I ordered the reloading dies from CH4D. I haven’t really got into loading for it yet. But now I have some time and was digging it out. I think the 6x6.8 is better to keep the bullet weights at 100 grains and under. And really 90 and under in that BHW chamber I think because it was relatively short. I went with the 6x6.8 since I was so into the 6.8spc. And wanted to get some lighter weight bullets going fast for coyote hunting. And lwrci was selling their 6.8 bolts for around $50 a piece too. Longer range heavier bullets isn’t what the 6x6.8 was designed around. But I plan on working on some loads once I fix my chrono that I somehow shot. I hope the 87 vmax work nice in this barrel.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Scurvy_dog
I bought a 22” 1-8 twist barrel from BHW in 6x6.8. And I ordered the reloading dies from CH4D. I haven’t really got into loading for it yet. But now I have some time and was digging it out. I think the 6x6.8 is better to keep the bullet weights at 100 grains and under. And really 90 and under in that BHW chamber I think because it was relatively short. I went with the 6x6.8 since I was so into the 6.8spc. And wanted to get some lighter weight bullets going fast for coyote hunting. And lwrci was selling their 6.8 bolts for around $50 a piece too. Longer range heavier bullets isn’t what the 6x6.8 was designed around. But I plan on working on some loads once I fix my chrono that I somehow shot. I hope the 87 vmax work nice in this barrel.

87 v-max should be golden in that rifle, as well as 85gr Sierra gameking. I'll be running anything and everything in my 6x45. I have a bunch of 6mm bullets to try..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 1,929 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,873
Posts18,497,594
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.