Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am happy for residents and envy you who live in Wyoming, but this sucks for non residents.

To those in the know, how likely will this pass? It will really hurt those who have been sitting on points for that special hunt.

Sorry if this has already been posted.

ALERT: New Wyoming bill introduced that impacts nonresident hunters | goHUNT
https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/wyoming-bill-introduced-impacts-nonresident-hunters#gs.ujd2io

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Without digging into the details of Pros/Cons, but, if I was as a resident - I’d probably be happy if it passed.

As a NR that hunts Wyoming, I would prefer a different percentage of 70-30 Res to NR.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good thing I'm going to burn my NR antelope points this year. $600 for a NR antelope tag------LOL-----not for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If it's put up for a vote by residents, I'm sure it will pass. Can't blame a resident who wants a better shot at limited tags. It will hurt the game department as non-resident licenses make up the majority of the budget, so residents will have to shoulder the burden in fees. Look at how much they fleece non-residents now. Probably hurt the hospitality industry (outfitters, motels, bars, & stores). That's one of the reasons they have the silly outfitter needed for wilderness areas, to provide income for outfitters. But if you believe in states right, they certainly have the right and should do what they believe is best for their citizens.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's been doing this for years. In all hunts with quotas or draws, non-res applicants can only get 10% of the tags.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have been going to Wyoming for 21 years. No more! [bleep]!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can wholeheartedly empathize with the folks from WY. I hope the resident hunters are able to at least keep the G/O's marginally in check from completely selling out the resource to the highest bidder.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Damn I have 10/ea pronghorn, deer, and elk points. I really wish I had time to burn my pronghorn points this year.

This is REALLY gonna shaft those of us with lots of points.

I can understand residents wanting a better slice but to me their point system is already an unsustainable scam. At least in Idaho limited tags are allocated randomly with no point system.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Damn I have 10/ea pronghorn, deer, and elk points. I really wish I had time to burn my pronghorn points this year.

This is REALLY gonna shaft those of us with lots of points.

I can understand residents wanting a better slice but to me their point system is already an unsustainable scam. At least in Idaho limited tags are allocated randomly with no point system.

Well, there is a chance it won't pass, I guess. This has come up before without passing.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho's been doing this for years. In all hunts with quotas or draws, non-res applicants can only get 10% of the tags.

UP to ten percent of the tags. Oftentimes it’s less than that.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

This is REALLY gonna shaft those of us with lots of points. 9

I had 9 points for elk to, I was thinking about donating them to the wounded warriors, Wyoming won’t let me do that.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by ccrifles
If it's put up for a vote by residents, I'm sure it will pass. Can't blame a resident who wants a better shot at limited tags. It will hurt the game department as non-resident licenses make up the majority of the budget, so residents will have to shoulder the burden in fees. Look at how much they fleece non-residents now. Probably hurt the hospitality industry (outfitters, motels, bars, & stores). That's one of the reasons they have the silly outfitter needed for wilderness areas, to provide income for outfitters. But if you believe in states right, they certainly have the right and should do what they believe is best for their citizens.

I feel the same way. And you're exactly right. The state has the right to do what they believe is best for their citizens. But I/we, as nonresidents, can also choose to spend what amounts to large sums of money, elsewhere. There's a huge potential for the state to loose not only financially, but a large amount of tourism and service related jobs if this bill passes.

I don't mind so much allocating more tags to residents. But to have the remaining lucky nonresidents pony up with increased tag fees for the states ensuing financial shortfall, is BS.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think they are doing this for the budget, not resident hunters

$8m dollars worth

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
I think they are doing this for the budget, not resident hunters

$8m dollars worth

Yep. You guys are facing some serious budget shortfalls with the new administration, coal and gas are taking a hit. Years of low tax rates are catching up.

https://www.wyofile.com/for-wyos-untaxed-generations-the-free-ride-may-be-over/amp/

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I don’t mind the price increase so much, the quota cut sucks though, especially since it’s been in place for 14 year and folks like me have been buying points for that long. Pard and I are applying for antelope in hopes of spending 14 points, think our unit is 70% draw odds with max/special license. Hopefully they just cut the bison, sheep, goat and moose to 10% and leave the rest the same.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
It's hard to fund game and fish budgets without non-resident hunters.

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I don’t see any way this could result in more money for WY. Sure, there’s fee increases but the much more expensive tags & fees for non residents, being sold in much lesser volume has to reduce total income without even factoring the likely more significant gas, lodging, food, etc.

I’m a resident but spent the bulk of my life hunting here as a non-resident before I moved, so I feel for y’all. Hope it doesn’t pass.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
From what I'm understanding, they wanna do away with the regular\special tag fees and just go special prices, so basically everything will be double, not just the special "fees"...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m genuinely curious as to how high exactly prices would have to go before they saw a decrease in applications. Because every increase that’s ever been implemented has had the opposite affect.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Anteloper
I don’t see any way this could result in more money for WY. Sure, there’s fee increases but the much more expensive tags & fees for non residents, being sold in much lesser volume has to reduce total income

In the application process you submit the whole amount for a license and tag. They hold that money for quite awhile and collect interest on it while you wait for the drawing. If you are successful and get a tag great if you aren't you finally get a refund. Wyoming makes a tremendous amount of revenue off that interest. Prices for the licenses are what ever the market will bear for nonresidents. If I was a resident I'd probably resent the nonresident intrusion in the hunting season as an average person trying to make a living there. Of course as someone making a living off the resource would have the opposite attitude. Pretty sh*less to take people's money for points then change the rules though. In 1995 I drew a general season statewide elk tag first time I tried, it was $355 residents paid $28 over the counter. Hunted in units around Atlantic City on the 5th day I shot a spike bull and was. happy to get him. Saw a lot of moose. So in 1996 I put in for a nonresident moose tag for that area 4 tags availible and at drawing time 5 applicants and no I didn't draw was priced at $1000 the next year the tag tag went up to $1700, they factored me out on the spot. Scarce resources are allways expensive and will cost even more as demand increases. Maybe wyoming game and fish wants less interest money and applicants in exchange for higher tag price I don t know. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/04/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (260Remguy, 300_savage, 12344mag, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1_deuce, 52 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,617
Posts18,473,985
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.