Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That was Tommy Tuberville.

He lernt that whilst head coach at Auburn, the Trailer Park masquerading as a University. LOL! RTR

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Noticed several references pertaining to the ability to balance a checkbook. Bet I haven't written a check in over 25 years, thought those days were long gone? On very rare occasions I still see some little old lady holding up the line in Wally world while she scribbles out a check, always amazes me the practice still exists?

But you somehow keep track of your account balance so you do not overdraft?

We had a secretary at work. She called the bank a couple times per week to check her son's account balance. If it got low, she would transfer money into it.

Her son was 35+ years old, single, employed. She and her husband were breaking $100k/yr, but not by much.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Dess
Cursive, penmanship, addressing an envelope, can opener, any board (nonelectric) game.

When I was in Basic Training, I quickly got the nickname of the Professor, Since i was a college Grad...

The black guys use to write their mother 3 times a day it seemed, and almost all of those letters seemed to come right back to the base post office as undeliverable...

The drill sgt pulled me out of formation, and told me that I was to take most of our black guys in our platoon, into a training room
and teach them to address an envelope....this was per express orders from the Battery Captain, who was black...suggested by Senior Drill, who was black...

even they were shocked that so many of the black guys couldn't address an envelope...

later I had a second class, I was ordered to do... this time it was a couple of white guys from Georgia from our platoon, along with a batch of others from other platoons..

out of 200 guys in our Company/Battery ( Ft Sill, artillery base, hence Battery), the average educational level of our unit, was 10.5 years of school...more than 50% of the guys never graduated high school... also something like 40% of the guys in the unit, were given a choice by a judge, to either enlist or they'd be looking at 2 years in jail....

I thought I had a pretty good handle of what stupid was.... but basic training showed me new dimensions I never thought existed in this country...

I went to basic training in 1969 and had more than a few of MaNamara’s 100,000 in our company and later in Vietnam. I could hardly believe the ignorance and lack of aptitude of these guys and some of the regular guys, too. It was a pathetic experiment by our democrat administration. Some couldn’t even tell time. Sad.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
All they really need to know is how to talk to that bitch SIRI.

I don't even have it enabled on my phone. smile

As I recall, my wife was using it once, and I exclaimed "Fook"- and got back "That's not nice!"
Cracked me up.

Last edited by las; 03/03/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by JackRyan
The Earth orbits the sun and the moon orbits the Earth.

I had a friend’s step son out here helping me with some fence and firewood a couple years back. He is about 30 years old.

Deep blue sky that day, he says to me “hmmmph....when did the moon start hanging out during the day” ??

youre shîttin me, right? lol

You didn't know, huh?

Carter Administration. smile

Last edited by las; 03/03/21.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Noticed several references pertaining to the ability to balance a checkbook. Bet I haven't written a check in over 25 years, thought those days were long gone? On very rare occasions I still see some little old lady holding up the line in Wally world while she scribbles out a check, always amazes me the practice still exists?
That old lady is probably taking her time just to set a practical example - show some spoiled younger ones how to live right. Some folks even still read books and stuff like that.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
The reason all these things happen is due to previous generations not paying any attention to the changes in curriculum and policy in the public school system. You’re witnessing the product of their parents. Or more accurately, (in most cases) their grandparents.
This is most of the root of the problem - and those who have taken over the disgraceful aspects of "public education" took advantage of that inattention on the art of those who own the system.. The parents who stay deeply involved with the education and training of their kids and who expect/demand quality outcomes, seem to be in the minority. They are raising what amounts to a breed apart - the gap between the have and have not is widening by the day. It is a sad and frustrating challenge for those have nots who eventually realize their shortcomings and try to make up the gap later in life.

Abortion is a horrible practice, and that horror also is probably saving a whole bunch of kids from having uncaring and irresponsible parents. So much for the free-love drug culture spawned in the 60s and its inevitable products in society today.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

I agree, but you can read and interpret your statement.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Who was responsible for those free love hippies from the sixties?

Inattentive and uncaring parents during the forties and fifties. It is not a new problem.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I was talking with a 9th grade social studies teacher and she does a little "test" at the beginning of the school year to see where kids are at. She told me 1/3 of her class didn't know where the capital of the US was. We had those memorized by 2 or 3rd grade when growing up.

Last edited by killerv; 03/03/21.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by killerv
I was talking with a 9th grade social studies teacher and she does a little "test" at the beginning of the school year to see where kids are at. She told me 1/3 of her class didn't know where the capital of the US was. We had those memorized by 2 or 3rd grade when growing up.

Teachers Union on full display.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by steve4102

As are the parents.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This is from Paul Shirley's Can I Keep My Jersey?. At the time, he was with the Grand Rapids Hoops of the CBA.

"I barged into our locker room prior to a recent game to find some of my teammates embroiled in a heated debate. They could not come to a consensus regarding the number of states in our country.... Two thought there were fifty, while the others contended that fifty-two was a more likely answer. But neither party could win the support of the other. When I arrived on the scene, the group appealed to my vast knowledge of third-grade social studies for a final answer. After an initial reaction of incredulity, and actually, indignation, I set them straight and then decided to press the issue a bit.... So I asked if anyone knew how many stripes were on the flag. (This, after I clued in those present to the tidbit that is the correlation between the states in the Union and stars on the American flag - a startling revelation to some. I wish I were joking.) The first response to the stripes question was thirty-three. But that hypothesis wasn't voiced very convincingly. There were no other guesses."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

As are the parents.

School has always , always been, a day care facility first and an education curriculum second ,

Parents sent their kids off to school so they could work, get drunk, f*ck the mailman, whatever, but they expected, rightfully so, that when the little snot nosed skulls full of mush came home they actually learned something.

The days of teaching and education our youth went down the schitter with Common Core and most important The Democrat Sponsored Teachers Union.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

As are the parents.

When we pay big bucks for a service as we do for education, we shouldn’t have to double and triple check every aspect of it just to see if we got our monies worth.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Dess
Cursive, penmanship, addressing an envelope, can opener, any board (nonelectric) game.

l

I went to basic training in 1969 and had more than a few of MaNamara’s 100,000 in our company and later in Vietnam. I could hardly believe the ignorance and lack of aptitude of these guys and some of the regular guys, too. It was a pathetic experiment by our democrat administration. Some couldn’t even tell time. Sad.

Project 100, 000 , a long-forgotten fiasco of unbelievable ineptitude in which Secretary McNamara forced the Armed Services to accept 100,000 Category IV's. Category IV meant that you scored so low on the ASVAB that you were disqualified from serving due to dull wit and lack of even the most basic tools like reading and arithmetic. Army got some, Navy got some, I dont know if the Marines accepted any or not, Air Force refused to take any at all. It very nearly ruined the United States Navy, these guys went directly from basic training to a ship, where all they were able to do was chip paint or pull kp on the mess deck. The poor guys were in over their heads and they knew it, bringing about anger and discord near to mutiny, most of them were quietly discharged as soon as it could be arranged.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lack of knowledge or experience is greater than school subjects in today's world
Many play baseball, tennis go fishing, and probably hundreds of other things using a computer game, they learn nothing of reality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cretch
Guess it depends on the High School, but I had never heard of ohm's law until I went to tech school for electronics. I would be surprised to find many high school grads that knew what it was.

My HS physics teacher taught us Ohm's Law as P = I E, easier to remember "PIE" than the E = I R. he said. P = I E is also known as Joule's Law

From "All About Circuits" website -

There are two basic Ohm’s Law equations: one relating voltage, current, and resistance; and the other relating voltage, current, and power (the latter equation is sometimes known as Joule’s Law rather than Ohm’s Law):

E = I R

P = I E

I have long said there should be a required class in every HS curriculum called "Life 101" where a bunch of stuff that has been mentioned would be taught, or at least mentioned (I told this to each of our kids when they were in HS, because Mom & Dad don't know anything, RIGHT?).

Last edited by Otter; 03/03/21.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

As are the parents.

School has always , always been, a day care facility first and an education curriculum second ,

Parents sent their kids off to school so they could work, get drunk, f*ck the mailman, whatever, but they expected, rightfully so, that when the little snot nosed skulls full of mush came home they actually learned something.

The days of teaching and education our youth went down the schitter with Common Core and most important The Democrat Sponsored Teachers Union.

Maybe in some households. We spent hours per day drilling our grade school kids with flash cards, math problems, and reading. After school, vacation from school, and summer.

If a kid can read and do math, the rest is a piece of cake. If they can not, they will fail in every discipline.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

As are the parents.

When we pay big bucks for a service as we do for education, we shouldn’t have to double and triple check every aspect of it just to see if we got our monies worth.

An astute parent recognizes the teacher has her/his hands full just getting the basics pounded into the heads of the misfortunate.

An astute parent will recognize that his own children are worthy of more than the typical public education teacher can afford to offer.

An astute parent will pick up the slack with personal time, tutoring, or transfer to better schools.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.