Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A couple weeks ago I pulled 4 teenagers out of a snowdrift. I handed the driver one end of the chain to find a place under the car to hook it. He put it through a tow hook but didn't have a clue how to hook a grab hook back to the chain. It was kind of comical watching him try to figure it out. Of course if he wasn't a dummy, he wouldn't have been in the snowdrift to start with. He was going too fast on a snowy mountain road and missed a corner. They were all very lucky that he didn't go off the other side of the road and kill them all.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by killerv
I was talking with a 9th grade social studies teacher and she does a little "test" at the beginning of the school year to see where kids are at. She told me 1/3 of her class didn't know where the capital of the US was. We had those memorized by 2 or 3rd grade when growing up.

Teachers Union on full display.

As are the parents.
School has always , always been, a day care facility first and an education curriculum second , - - - - -
Not for our family and not where we grew up. I am sorry to know you experienced that.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
JMO I do think it's a shame that we no longer place
any emphasis on grammar and using words in the
proper context and basic spelling.
These days, you get called a "grammar nazi " and
severely flamed, while elsewhere in the world
young kids learn several languages and grow up
and immigrate here and take up the top executive
positions in our companies, and we can't figure out why.
That, and some small kid named Ranjeetpaldum
Hanpanhagaamagaa III wins all the nation's top
spelling bees, and gets full scholarship offers from
a dozen top universities

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ranger speaks the truth.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They also come here and take up a good number of the seats in engineering and hard sciences classes as undergrads, and their proportion is even larger in grad schools.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A couple weeks ago I pulled 4 teenagers out of a snowdrift. I handed the driver one end of the chain to find a place under the car to hook it. He put it through a tow hook but didn't have a clue how to hook a grab hook back to the chain. It was kind of comical watching him try to figure it out. Of course if he wasn't a dummy, he wouldn't have been in the snowdrift to start with. He was going too fast on a snowy mountain road and missed a corner. They were all very lucky that he didn't go off the other side of the road and kill them all.

LOL

hook it to the tie-rod end

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ranger99
a dozen top universities

And some people will call you mean.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was talking with a 9th grade social studies teacher and she does a little "test" at the beginning of the school year to see where kids are at. She told me 1/3 of her class didn't know where the capital of the US was. We had those memorized by 2 or 3rd grade when growing up.

As are the parents.

When we pay big bucks for a service as we do for education, we shouldn’t have to double and triple check every aspect of it just to see if we got our monies worth.

An astute parent recognizes the teacher has her/his hands full just getting the basics pounded into the heads of the misfortunate.

An astute parent will recognize that his own children are worthy of more than the typical public education teacher can afford to offer.

An astute parent will pick up the slack with personal time, tutoring, or transfer to better schools.

Great response Idaho. In my home we view our children’s time in school as a foundation. A foundation that needs to be built upon and expanded by the parents. I understand that in today’s society many parents both work usually so they can afford new cars and fancy toys. They choose to place “things” above their children’s education and money before morality. It’s easier for them to ignore their ultimate responsibility and put the entire onus of molding intelligent, caring, responsible young people onto the teachers and the school.

In my experience the parents of students in private schools were the worst offenders. They figured that since they were paying big bucks $$ for their children’s education that they shouldn’t have to lift a finger to further that education. I had friends that I’d gone to elementary and middle school with whose parents, come high school, put them in a private school. Those friends of mine were good kids until they got to high school. Their parents slacked off and put the the responsibility of child raising on the school. I remember thinking that private schools took good kids and turned them into monsters. That’s an ultra simplified view but it’s not far from the truth.ime

I was talking to the nurse that took care of me during my night at the hospital post back surgery back in November and she started asking me about our children. I told her about our children and that both were 4.0 students. Our son was a fantastic athlete a QB and captain of the football team and a very sweet and well liked kid. Our daughter is a talented athlete in her own right. She’s a great softball and volleyball player and she too is well liked and respected by the teachers and students at her school. Her goal, which she’s on track for, is to be Valedictorian. The nurse (Asian) was stunned that a redneck cracker like me was able to produce 2 intelligent children that were straight A students. Those types of kids are usually Asian or East Indian, not white. She asked how we did that and I explained that my wife and I are involved in their education and their lives. We made sacrifices that allowed us to be present AND involved. The sacrifices that we made enabled us to volunteer at the schools, coach their sports, be home when they got home and make dinner (not fast food) so that we could sit around the supper table and discuss their day. After supper they did their homework and we were available to help them if they needed it.

There is much effort involved in raising good kids but it’s the most important job that we’ve ever had and we took/take it very seriously. Thankfully we made those sacrifices because we are blessed with amazing, conservative, God fearing young adults. If we’d have trusted the school, whether public or private, to fully educate our children I don’t think the results would’ve been the same.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aces - most excellent post!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not saying schools are not a “foundation” or at least they used to be, today’s schools are not even close to a foundation.

When I went to school we had to do our part as students in order to progress and to move on.

If we didn’t learn and get a passing grade, we did not move on. The teachers had a job to do and they did it, if the student (with a little the help of the parents) failed to do their part, they were held back. In my day it was called “flunked”. And if one were to get “flunk” the parents would take action to correct the students behavior not blame the school or the teacher.

Since the takeover by the Unions , students no longer can be flunked and no longer need to learn to progress. It is much easier for a teacher to just pass the student on then to take steps to teach.

As a parent I spent hours with my two sons after work doing what needed to be done for them to learn, they learned more in one hour at home than they did in 7 at school, that is just sad. It got to the point we questioned why do we send them to school in the first place .

When I was a kid in school in the 60’s there was no need for parents to pick up the slack , all that was required was make sure the homework got done and done right. There was no sitting at the desk for hours a night teaching what should have been taught that “day”. And there sure as hell wasn’t any student passed up to the next grade that didn’t Earn it.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Otter
Originally Posted by Cretch
Guess it depends on the High School, but I had never heard of ohm's law until I went to tech school for electronics. I would be surprised to find many high school grads that knew what it was.

My HS physics teacher taught us Ohm's Law as P = I E, easier to remember "PIE" than the E = I R. he said. P = I E is also known as Joule's Law

From "All About Circuits" website -

There are two basic Ohm’s Law equations: one relating voltage, current, and resistance; and the other relating voltage, current, and power (the latter equation is sometimes known as Joule’s Law rather than Ohm’s Law):

E = I R

P = I E

I have long said there should be a required class in every HS curriculum called "Life 101" where a bunch of stuff that has been mentioned would be taught, or at least mentioned (I told this to each of our kids when they were in HS, because Mom & Dad don't know anything, RIGHT?).

That's great that this was taught in your high school. However, from the responses I'm seeing is unless a kid took physics, Ohm's Law isn't something a kid would learn in High School. When I was in High School less than 25 percent of the kids took physics. It looks like there are about 39 percent that take it now. Still a minority. Kudos to those that did.

3825 24336
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Cretch
I will start.

How to count change?

Ohm's law?

Guess it depends on the High School, but I had never heard of ohm's law until I went to tech school for electronics. I would be surprised to find many high school grads that knew what it was.

Everyone that took electronics at my high school knew Ohm's law, but in the 70s shop classes were plentiful.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
a dozen top universities

eye dont no bout no Ranger 99 dood

butt yu izz meen.......

alla time meen.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm finding handwriting nearly illegible and the only thing they need to write on their multiple choice Hunter Ed exams is their name. Then, when they get their cards there is a signature line. Ask them to sign their cards and one gets a blank stare. Few if any can do cursive now.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by ironbender
a dozen top universities

eye dont no bout no Ranger 99 dood

butt yu izz meen.......

alla time meen.

mmhmm

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm finding handwriting nearly illegible and the only thing they need to write on their multiple choice Hunter Ed exams is their name. Then, when they get their cards there is a signature line. Ask them to sign their cards and one gets a blank stare. Few if any can do cursive now.

Some of us are cursed with illegible handwriting, no matter the effort we put into it.

Through High School and College I was forced to print any assignment I wanted the instructor to decipher. Then I got a typewriter.

My Mom had beautiful handwriting. Dad could not even decipher his own chicken scratches ten minutes after the ink dried. My handwriting is almost as bad.

I suspect it might be tied to hand/eye coordination in which I am also severely lacking. That is genetics.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
Noticed several references pertaining to the ability to balance a checkbook. Bet I haven't written a check in over 25 years, thought those days were long gone? On very rare occasions I still see some little old lady holding up the line in Wally world while she scribbles out a check, always amazes me the practice still exists?
My checkbook is on Excel. It's self balancing except when I make a wrong entry. Then it can be a bitch to find sometimes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
self checkout at walmart

it’s worth repeating

Boomers bragging about their algebra skills but can’t weigh an avocado at the checkout terminal.

LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

As are the parents.

When we pay big bucks for a service as we do for education, we shouldn’t have to double and triple check every aspect of it just to see if we got our monies worth.

An astute parent recognizes the teacher has her/his hands full just getting the basics pounded into the heads of the misfortunate.

An astute parent will recognize that his own children are worthy of more than the typical public education teacher can afford to offer.

An astute parent will pick up the slack with personal time, tutoring, or transfer to better schools.

Great response Idaho. In my home we view our children’s time in school as a foundation. A foundation that needs to be built upon and expanded by the parents. I understand that in today’s society many parents both work usually so they can afford new cars and fancy toys. They choose to place “things” above their children’s education and money before morality. It’s easier for them to ignore their ultimate responsibility and put the entire onus of molding intelligent, caring, responsible young people onto the teachers and the school.

In my experience the parents of students in private schools were the worst offenders. They figured that since they were paying big bucks $$ for their children’s education that they shouldn’t have to lift a finger to further that education. I had friends that I’d gone to elementary and middle school with whose parents, come high school, put them in a private school. Those friends of mine were good kids until they got to high school. Their parents slacked off and put the the responsibility of child raising on the school. I remember thinking that private schools took good kids and turned them into monsters. That’s an ultra simplified view but it’s not far from the truth.ime

I was talking to the nurse that took care of me during my night at the hospital post back surgery back in November and she started asking me about our children. I told her about our children and that both were 4.0 students. Our son was a fantastic athlete a QB and captain of the football team and a very sweet and well liked kid. Our daughter is a talented athlete in her own right. She’s a great softball and volleyball player and she too is well liked and respected by the teachers and students at her school. Her goal, which she’s on track for, is to be Valedictorian. The nurse (Asian) was stunned that a redneck cracker like me was able to produce 2 intelligent children that were straight A students. Those types of kids are usually Asian or East Indian, not white. She asked how we did that and I explained that my wife and I are involved in their education and their lives. We made sacrifices that allowed us to be present AND involved. The sacrifices that we made enabled us to volunteer at the schools, coach their sports, be home when they got home and make dinner (not fast food) so that we could sit around the supper table and discuss their day. After supper they did their homework and we were available to help them if they needed it.

There is much effort involved in raising good kids but it’s the most important job that we’ve ever had and we took/take it very seriously. Thankfully we made those sacrifices because we are blessed with amazing, conservative, God fearing young adults. If we’d have trusted the school, whether public or private, to fully educate our children I don’t think the results would’ve been the same.

Good on you, Aces. And, Congrats to your kids for being able to see the light in front of them.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't remember what our girls knew when they left HS but, apparently it was enough. My wife did home school three of them in the 70s when just about no one else was doing that - which gave them some advantage when they went into the public schools. I refuse to brag about them, ever, because they are normal people who have worked hard and are solely responsible for what they have achieved - as straight "A" students in HS and college, all have college degrees and two have graduate degrees, they all have excellent jobs and the three who married have been very successful at that and in raising their kids. They are self-sufficient,responsible ladies of high moral character. This is not praiseworthy to me - it should be the norm - and all we did as parents was to try to model what we believed and emphasize such expectations. It was not difficult, it was not exceptional, it was loving and caring. That should do it.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,514
Posts18,490,872
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.