Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dustyq123
My dad once told me you learn a lot more by keeping your mouth shut, than you while running it.

Looks like you listened, one post in over a year. 😆

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by gdc2
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by Dinny
IMHO, anything more than double is gouging.

Double from when? 1987 or 2019 or what part of 2020? Sorry you have no case.....

It is called supply & demand. Don't like it move elsewhere.

Some states define price gouging as an increase in price greater than 25% over the past 30 days.

I'll add, many, if not all codified laws applicable to price gouging, only becomes enforceable upon the declaration of an emergency by the governor of that state. There is no such thing as a federal law that broadly prohibits price gouging.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I am a strong believer in capitalism. I think supply and demand will always play out if left without intervention. That being said if you are one of the people that have nothing better to do than hang out at the LGS for every shipment, then buy all the primers, powder, even though you don’t reload, and then buy all the ammo for calibers you do not even own just to sell on gun broker you are a complete f$&@&$g d$&k worthless human being. Should it be illegal,NO (although technically it is) I would rather pay my small dealer a premium, they have been higher than the LGS but less than gun broker. If the LGS would raise their prices enough that it wasn’t so lucrative to resell the supply would be better.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Make a mental note of who they are. When the smoke clears never do business with them again. Tell all your friends about them too.

That's my philosophy too.

When my fav gun store on the Front Range closed down I started doing business when I'm over there with another LGS that has in the past year has kept fair prices. The other day I was in there and they had received a shipment of H4350. $49.99

I know the store owner and I told him he was taking a short view that may come back to haunt him.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Yes sir Mr. Sandbilly He has been gone over 30 years now and I will never forget what he told me. I do see a lot of bad moods on here that I would like to comment on, but I keep it shut. Might be different if I could reach out and touch them, but I getting to old for that.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dinny
Midway gets their stock in spurts. When they're available (earlier this week), their price is $59.

Midway was askig $59 for primers? It seemed to me they were keeping a lid on prices, but didn't see the primers go through.

The Enduron powders and Varget that they had a few minutes ago were $38 a pound, but we should expect a price increase because of increased costs to the manufacturers.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sniggly

The reply in this post is the better point of this thread, so I will quote it just to make sure it doesn't get lost in the noise generated by the amplitude of the complaining. It offers a genuine opportunity to classically debate the merits of the general claim of this entire thread, but it will be missed...entirely.

I'm concerned that we would instead, prefer to perpetuate our secret love affair with that ever thorny contradiction, which looks something like this; continue marching to the Big Band sound of capitalism whilst waving a tall banner that says, "Capitalism For Everyone!". As soon as we see a price on any item that generates a knot in our emotional skivvies, rip off them bra's (gotta get it out through a shirt sleeve or you didn't do it right), let down that unkempt mane of 5am hair, drop the banner, and start screeching and demanding the intervention of some governmental authority, of which we usually express varying degrees of disdain based on whether we perceive they are on our side or the enemy, so that things can be, "...set right again...".

We should also hold steadfastly, with white knuckles and whale sweat, to the idea that the implicit power of the word 'no' (meaning you simply refuse to buy that item), should only be construed as; we can't have it (enter pouty face meme).

Being able to differentiate between the reality that a price has created tidal waves in your emotional ocean, and having access to the power of cognitive assessment on whether or not that 'mean ol price' is suitable to your endeavors...or not, are radically different standards that produce radically different responses.

Sniggly your being Smarmy.

Taking advantage of a difficult situation is not capitalism--it's price gouging. Hoarding is in large part responsible for the scarcity of everything that goes bang, but in part it's also the new gun buyers. They aren't necessarily hoarding.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
When all the chit settles it's gonna be fun watching the nancies drag their panties out of their twats.
Anyone who's been reloading for any length of time shouldn't have been caught needing to pay $40+ a brick.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Please let me know when you guys start selling ur houses for what u originally bought them for....id like to buy a few...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Tico
Please let me know when you guys start selling ur houses for what u originally bought them for....id like to buy a few...

Older ones, the newer one cost to much to build, I would buy 10 more farms for what I paid back in the early 80's, 160 grand for 386 acres

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
One mans gouging is another man’s capitalism.

Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The reply in this post is the better point of this thread, so I will quote it just to make sure it doesn't get lost in the noise generated by the amplitude of the complaining. It offers a genuine opportunity to classically debate the merits of the general claim of this entire thread, but it will be missed...entirely.

I'm concerned that we would instead, prefer to perpetuate our secret love affair with that ever thorny contradiction, which looks something like this; continue marching to the Big Band sound of capitalism whilst waving a tall banner that says, "Capitalism For Everyone!". As soon as we see a price on any item that generates a knot in our emotional skivvies, rip off them bra's (gotta get it out through a shirt sleeve or you didn't do it right), let down that unkempt mane of 5am hair, drop the banner, and start screeching and demanding the intervention of some governmental authority, of which we usually express varying degrees of disdain based on whether we perceive they are on our side or the enemy, so that things can be, "...set right again...".

We should also hold steadfastly, with white knuckles and whale sweat, to the idea that the implicit power of the word 'no' (meaning you simply refuse to buy that item), should only be construed as; we can't have it (enter pouty face meme).

Being able to differentiate between the reality that a price has created tidal waves in your emotional ocean, and having access to the power of cognitive assessment on whether or not that 'mean ol price' is suitable to your endeavors...or not, are radically different standards that produce radically different responses.

Sniggly your being Smarmy.

Taking advantage of a difficult situation is not capitalism--it's price gouging. Hoarding is in large part responsible for the scarcity of everything that goes bang, but in part it's also the new gun buyers. They aren't necessarily hoarding.

Smarmy? Maybe. Sarcastic as the day is long? Brand me. I'd prefer we be specific, rather than swim in a pool of varying interpretations of price gouging, especially when those interpretations don't conform to the current standard that governs the behavior of men (law)? Take note; I'm not defending the pimp here. I just don't get offended and steer my boat into the rough waters of pure contradiction, when I'm FREE to abstain from dealing with that person. That encounter isn't a catalyst for a sudden switch in my ideology. It doesn't grant me permission to suddenly pole vault from conservative centered ideas, to blatantly hard left caterwauling for ideas that run counter to my conservative center (not accusing you if that needs to be said). No one is slaved to the transaction. No one. The person that enters a difficult situation with an eye on squeezing the most out of the lemon can certainly be considered morally reprehensible, and we tend towards disliking that person quite a bit. But, some kind of compass must apply here, and if that compass spins in circles and refuses land on anything but, "how I feel, when I feel it, and then I'll be fine...", then it's not a compass. It's some kind of politically bi-polar pile of chaos. The best mediator we have to gauge the existence of price gouging is law, not the 'as the wind blows' psuedo-notion that seems to have seized men by the nose ring.

The economic system we know as Capitalism does NOT explicitly exclude taking advantage of a situation. The person that has piss poor credit might get dragged across glass shards (financially) if they need a car, but when they hit that buy here pay here lot, and they hand over cash that amounts to 3 times the value of the car, they leave with a car. It is not a single sided, single benefit endeavor.

e

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Smarmy? Maybe. Sarcastic as the day is long? Brand me. I'd prefer we be specific, rather than swim in a pool of varying interpretations of price gouging, especially when those interpretations don't conform to the current standard that governs the behavior of men (law)? Take note; I'm not defending the pimp here. I just don't get offended and steer my boat into the rough waters of pure contradiction, when I'm FREE to abstain from dealing with that person. That encounter isn't a catalyst for a sudden switch in my ideology. It doesn't grant me permission to suddenly pole vault from conservative centered ideas, to blatantly hard left caterwauling for ideas that run counter to my conservative center (not accusing you if that needs to be said). No one is slaved to the transaction. No one. The person that enters a difficult situation with an eye on squeezing the most out of the lemon can certainly be considered morally reprehensible, and we tend towards disliking that person quite a bit. But, some kind of compass must apply here, and if that compass spins in circles and refuses land on anything but, "how I feel, when I feel it, and then I'll be fine...", then it's not a compass. It's some kind of politically bi-polar pile of chaos. The best mediator we have to gauge the existence of price gouging is law, not the 'as the wind blows' psuedo-notion that seems to have seized men by the nose ring.

The economic system we know as Capitalism does NOT explicitly exclude taking advantage of a situation. The person that has piss poor credit might get dragged across glass shards (financially) if they need a car, but when they hit that buy here pay here lot, and they hand over cash that amounts to 3 times the value of the car, they leave with a car. It is not a single sided, single benefit endeavor.

e

You don't know what you're talking about. Claiming the current market is capitalism at work is absurd. Firearms and ammunition markets are highly manipulated. The current ammo shortage is a symptom of a highly manipulated market. Firearms and ammunition markets suffer at the whim of regulators. Regulators suffer at the whim of politics. Much of the angst in these threads is a reaction to the fact that these markets are being politicized. Any claim that profiteering in the extremes of these markets is just capitalism at work, is utter nonsense.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by kingston

e

You don't know what you're talking about. Claiming the current market is capitalism at work is absurd. Firearms and ammunition markets are highly manipulated. The current ammo shortage is a symptom of a highly manipulated market. Firearms and ammunition markets suffer at the whim of regulators. Regulators suffer at the whim of politics. Much of the angst in these threads is a reaction to the fact that these markets are being politicized. Any claim that profiteering in the extremes of these markets is just capitalism at work, is utter nonsense.

You've run aground somewhere and missed the entire spirit and point of my reply to Alpine. I don't know how you did it, but you did. I never claimed the current market is, "...capitalism at work..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

e

You've run aground somewhere and missed the entire spirit and point of my reply to Alpine. I don't know how you did it, but you did. I never claimed the current market is, "...capitalism at work..."

Perhaps your point was lost to loquaciousness.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

lol......

To The Loquaciously Smarmy Sniggly,

We are all on the 'fire at Rickbin's pleasure, and we all have the privilege of asking any outrageous, gouging, even unethical, price we chose. By the same token the rest of us have the privilege of calling it out for what it is.

Is this a great website or what?....... wink

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Just paid $120 / 1000 at a local store I frequent.
Limit of 1000/ household.
Fair enough in these times .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since I don’t know what any of these places has to pay to get this stuff, I can’t comment on whether they’re gouging or not. I can only refuse to pay the prices they’re asking.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Pappy,

The cost of manufacturing has increased. As far as components are concerned the people I've talked to said social distancing at the manufacturing facilities has made the process less efficient, plus unprecedented demand has meant the manufacturers have have hired significantly more employees and are running shifts 24/7. And the cost of shipping has increased and manufacturers have had to scramble to find enough shipping (which has slowed down for the same reasons) and are paying more for the shipping.

And, the word is shipping of hazmat materials from overseas has seen a substantial increase in cost to the importers/distributors. Throw in rising costs of commodities and it all adds up to an increase in costs BEFORE retailers start adding a bit of extra to their price, because they can.

I think we can figure on a 30% increase of powders, primers, and bullets just for the "normal" price of components before any gouging takes place.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

lol......

To The Loquaciously Smarny Sniggly,

We are all on the 'fire at Rickbin's pleasure, and we all have the privilege of asking any outrageous, gouging, even unethical, price we chose. By the same token the rest of us have the privilege of calling it out for what it is.

Is this a great website or what?....... wink

Ya see!!! Now I gotta change my name! laugh (starts to ponder whether or not 7 syllables will actually fit into the name field on the fire)...

I'm not prone to sesquipedalianism, but I do like my comma's. And I think your comments are a most suitable closing summary.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,857
Posts18,497,077
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.