Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
How does one become POTUS without knowing how many states he's POTUS of?

Suckermore, Leroy, Gayghost, Calledumb, PloughboyTim. Jumboin Tenn, Northmam, Ejit, Sac, Piddler, Suckawhore, UPKiker,...etc.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
...the difference between a plural and a possessive.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You guy’s know what I mean?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plural's have possession's?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before I retired from full time butchering, I worked with some kids that printed their name as a signature because they didn't know cursive....and by kids, I mean early 20's.
Pathetic.

Proud NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I will start.
How does one graduate HS without knowing....

That Alaska is not an island?

Had an admin assistant once. She overheard me talking about wanting to drive up to Alaska one day. She said "you can't drive to Alaska!". When I asked what she meant, she said "it's an island!!!"

No, unfortunately I am not chitting you. She firmly believed after all those years of staring at one of these in school....

[Linked Image from nationsonline.org]

...that Alaska was an island.

I wish I was kidding. I'm not.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I absolutely love these threads.

How does one graduate from HS without knowing that it is improper to start a sentence with "I seen". This is rampant on forums.

How does one graduate from HS without knowing that he has been saying should've/would've/could've and not "should of", "would of" and "could of". The only way to get to that point one must have either: a) accidentally skipped class every single day that contractions were studied and graded; or, b) simply decided I want to type something completely different than we were taught.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Or graduate high school rather than graduate from high school.

Dropping the "from" has certainly become common, and is seen even in some fairly formal writing, but it is still not considered correct.

I admit to being old school, but when I hear graduate high school I immediately think "Billy Bob is the first in our family to graduate high school".

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranger99
JMO I do think it's a shame that we no longer place any emphasis on grammar and using words in the proper context and basic spelling. These days, you get called a "grammar nazi " and severely flamed, while elsewhere in the world young kids learn several languages and grow up and immigrate here and take up the top executive positions in our companies, and we can't figure out why. That, and some small kid named RanjeetpaldumHanpanhagaamagaa III wins all the nation's top spelling bees, and gets full scholarship offers from
a dozen top universities

This is a very good point. It shows how we, as a society, have made a decision to "give up". I think the same can be said of most other examples provided in this thread. There is simply no more shame in the U.S. and that, pardon the pun, is a shame.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul39

Dropping the "from" has certainly become common, and is seen even in some fairly formal writing, but it is still not considered correct.

I admit to being old school, but when I hear graduate high school I immediately think "BIlly Bob is the first in our family to graduate high school".

Paul, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I absolutely love these threads. How does one graduate from HS without knowing that it is improper to start a sentence with "I seen". This is rampant on forums. How does one graduate from HS without knowing that he has been saying should've/would've/could've and not "should of", "would of" and "could of". The only way to get to that point one must have either: a) accidentally skipped class every single day that contractions were studied and graded; or, b) simply decided I want to type something completely different than we were taught.
Er - - - actually, the contraction should've would be from "should have", etc. not "should of". Maybe this is what you meant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
I absolutely love these threads. How does one graduate from HS without knowing that it is improper to start a sentence with "I seen". This is rampant on forums. How does one graduate from HS without knowing that he has been saying should've/would've/could've and not "should of", "would of" and "could of". The only way to get to that point one must have either: a) accidentally skipped class every single day that contractions were studied and graded; or, b) simply decided I want to type something completely different than we were taught.
Er - - - actually, the contraction should've would be from "should have", etc. not "should of". Maybe this is what you meant.

I am willing to stand corrected; but, please show me where I am in error. My point is, we have lots of people who type "should of" in places where "should've" is the correct thing to type. Hence, apparently, people think that the words "should" and "of" together are a substitute for "should've" and, consequently, "should have". It is understandable that a foreigner, with no training/teaching in English, who's only reference for our language is what they heard, would think people were actually saying "should of"; but, someone who has presumably graduated from high school in the U.S. does not have that excuse. So, what I meant, and what I thought I conveyed was people who have presumably graduated from high school repeatedly type "should of" where "should've" is the correct thing to have typed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It seems to me the "ve" at the end implied the contraction of the word have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC

I am willing to stand corrected; but, please show me where I am in error. My point is, we have lots of people who type "should of" in places where "should've" is the correct thing to type. Hence, apparently, people think that the words "should" and "of" together are a substitute for "should've" and, consequently, "should have". It is understandable that a foreigner, with no training/teaching in English, who's only reference for our language is what they heard, would think people were actually saying "should of"; but, someone who has presumably graduated from high school in the U.S. does not have that excuse. So, what I meant, and what I thought I conveyed was people who have presumably graduated from high school repeatedly type "should of" where "should've" is the correct thing to have typed.
I think that your premise is quite good - on the mark.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not knowing the difference and proper use of "their" and "there". Also the difference of "to" & "too". I also see people using "were" instead of "we're" alot.

3825 24336
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes people just need a little "trick" to remember.

Their is an "ownership" word. Take off the "T' and it still is.

There is a "place" word. Take off the "T" and it still is, and also is the opposite of the full word.

Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have a couple college professor friends, and today's students feel text lingo is perfectly acceptable in their formal compositions.

1Minute
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Paul39

I admit to being old school, but when I hear graduate high school I immediately think "BIlly Bob is the first in our family to graduate high school".

Paul, thank you, thank you, thank you!

A public bulletin board/outdoors forum is hardly "formal writing".

So where do we find the rules of what is acceptable usage for informal writing?

I fail to see how "graduated High School" would raise an eyebrow in a place where fugg, schitt, and niqqer are commonly used.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have a couple college professor friends, and today's students feel text lingo is perfectly acceptable in their formal compositions.

Eternally glad I didn't go the college teacher route.

When at University, way back in the olden days, I'd go to the library and get trash paper from the copy center. One side was blank, I could use it for scratch paper for calculus and chemistry figuring.

Once, I got some paper that was apparently for a remedial English class, for those folks that needed a class to catch up to college level English I guess. Upon reading the paper, I was stunned. The nuns wouldn't have passed me out of 7th grade with writing like that, yet apparently someone had managed to get into a University and needed to catch up.

On one of my jobs I had the pleasure of doing the school tours, when the big yellow bus showed up with a load of kids to visit the facility. Younger kids were just there for "fun". The older kids, junior high through high school were sometimes there to see a possible future for themselves in the field.

When the teacher would ask "Geno, what type of classes should someone interested in your field take to prepare for a job here?", I'd give them the bad news. "Well, math for calculating, biology for knowing the critters you're working with, and English for writing reports to supervisors or publishing papers about your work". You could just see the frowns and slumped shoulders start on the kids that had seemed interested in such a cool, decent paying job.

Oh well, like many things in today's world, I figure I'm on the way out sooner than later, and therefor these problems will be left for others to solve.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good you are grateful Geno for, conversely, I am eternally grateful that I did go the college teacher route.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.