Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The last 5 years has been a rollercoaster for me. I now get these spells of insomnia that last about a week or so, where I'm only getting about 3-4 hours of sleep, some times less. shocked I just recently retired at the age of 59. It's impossible for me to sleep or nap during the day, which really sucks...I am jealous of People who can nap during the day. Besides meds, and punching the Clown, lol, any helpful tips for insomnia? Thank you.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
two night ago, slept 6 hours, up once, then another 4 hours. Last night, slept 3 hours, up twice. Things vary

Sam......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In the spring summer and fall I work like a dog... and sleep like a dead man on a slab.

During the winter... when there is nothing to do... sleeping sucks.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I work third shift last three years. You'd be surprised how much sleep you don't really need. At least that is what I tell myself. I get about four or five hours a day. About once a month I just crash for a day. Probably not healthy to be honest though.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Get a sleep study.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
The last 5 years has been a rollercoaster for me. I now get these spells of insomnia that last about a week or so, where I'm only getting about 3-4 hours of sleep, some times less. shocked I just recently retired at the age of 59. It's impossible for me to sleep or nap during the day, which really sucks...I am jealous of People who can nap during the day. Besides meds, and punching the Clown, lol, any helpful tips for insomnia? Thank you.

I find what often helps is to leave the TV on. What I actually do when this is an issue is just play episode after episode of the old Andy Griffith Show that's free on Prime. They will play back to back without you having to do anything. I'm usually asleep before the end of the first episode. But it's important not to try to sleep. Actually lay in bed and attempt to stay awake and follow the story line, even if your eyes are closed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I been falling asleep around 8:-9 and sleep until midnight then pizz then fall right back asleep until 4-4:30. Average night for me is about 7-8hrs. I don't nap during the day.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I usually get 6 hours sleep a night. Sometimes 7. Not counting my nap. Naps are good if you can do it. When I was younger I couldn't take a nap. Some where around 55-60 I mastered it.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
No caffeine after 10 AM helps me quite a bit. If you're a caffeinated pop or coffee drinker; try cutting back.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Get a sleep study.

Yep. 100%

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nollij
No caffeine after 10 AM helps me quite a bit. If you're a caffeinated pop or coffee drinker; try cutting back.

I try to avoid caffeine after 3 PM or so. If I go out for supper, I drink water or a beer or both. Before I started using CPAP, I could drink iced tea or soda anytime I wanted to and still fall asleep, (sometimes driving!) Now I don't take the chance of not being able to sleep and just stay away from caffeine beyond mid afternoon.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I normally get about 6-7 hours a night on average. Maybe once or twice a week I wake up between 2 and 3am , then I'm wide awake for a couple of hours until I get go back to sleep. That builds up and then I'll try to sleep until 8 or so on the weekends.

One thing I've done is even though I want to, I don't take a late afternoon nap and I don't drink anything after 8pm - doing everything I can to get a solid nights sleep. Because we've been doing it for years, my sleep cycle has me ready to start the day at 5am. Great if I"m a farmer, not so much with me being a suburbs guys working from home.

Started taking melatonin on days that were particularly stressful. Stress causes me to have uneven sleep. I find many times I end up having dreams of always trying to solve a problem that has no solution. Then I wake up stressed.

Last edited by KFWA; 03/06/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER

I find what often helps is to leave the TV on. What I actually do when this is an issue is just play episode after episode of the old Andy Griffith Show that's free on Prime. They will play back to back without you having to do anything. I'm usually asleep before the end of the first episode. But it's important not to try to sleep. Actually lay in bed and attempt to stay awake and follow the story line, even if your eyes are closed.

This
I find the TV takes my mind off issues that keep it a racing.

I also can’t sleep well in a bed that is flat, I need the head raised quite a bit.

Getting up to piss isn’t a problem, falling back to sleep afterwards is a real problem.

I prolly get 5-6 good hours a night.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
5-8 hours/night. 8 hours if I do a 20-40 mile bike ride. 4 or 5 hours if I imbibe in 2 or more scotches. If you have more than one “alcohol drink”, your blood sugar level plummets several hours later, for me that’s at 2 or 3 am, and you wake up and usually can’t get back to sleep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No tips for insomnia here. Haven't slept well in 15 years

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
About 30 yrs ago, a kid had a .220 Swift...and I had a VW bug. We traded straight across, and I have not slept well since that day.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
6 to 7 hrs. Fortunately, if memory is correct, I drop off within a minute or so of hitting the pillow.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm of no help, years in the Army taught me to sleep when I can. I can take a nap like it's nobody's business!

I work for BNSF on call 24/7/365 with 10 hrs rest between going to work. It doesn't matter if I work 1 minute or the full 12 hrs, once I clock out I have a minimum 10 hrs before I can be called to work, but no schedule at all. I dread getting a call for work starting between 10 pm and 3 am, after eight years of doing this job I still have days where I'm not rested and going 24-30 hrs without sleep.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i take a melatonin tablet before bed and sleep with a box fan on. still get the occasional 3AM regretathon that ruins it. in summer i sleep better due to more activity. winter sucks all around for my sleep and mood.

My diploma is a DD214
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Seriously men, most of us get by fine on 5 hours a night, almost indefinitely. But I was complaining to my Doc about not sleeping the night before a big trip. Hoping he would prescribe something for those rare occasions. He said, do what I do, take 2 Wally World Ibuprofen and one Tylenol before bedtime with a half glass of water, you will get a solid 7 or 8 hrs, without disorientation or 'hangover' the next day. He said never use an antihistamine for people over 60. Anybody heard of this?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,684
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.