Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by longarm
Geno
Aren't you on the other side of the mountain from Shastina?
Man you are going to have the best pics on the Fire ...

Oh yea, about 100 miles due East.

But with prevailing winds, I'll get to see the 'splosion a few hours before we all choke to death and get buried like them Italian folks.

Maybe it catches me on a sourdough rye day and that gets mummified too!

Oven spring!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
First? LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Wow, if they all went at once, would that not change the demographics of the Northern Leftist Coast?
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

I didn't realize there were that many so close to me lol.
I remember Mt St Helen's going off, we had quite abit of ash falling, even here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
So how powerful are they? This lava rock is in so. central Idaho, about 20 miles north of Ketchum. It's approx 6' in diameter so it's got some weight to it. It's sitting on a low granite ridge. The nearest old volcano is more than 50 miles away in a straight line. That's a long toss. Most of Idaho's volcanoes were the kind that poured out rivers of lava resulting in thousands of square miles of lava beds. This one obviously came from an explosion but most were very unlike the Cascade ones.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sheesh! That is incredible!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Not "first" but "next".

Correct. The OP must be too young to remember the one where the whole side of the mountain blew off - what was the name of it? Mt. St. Helen's, maybe?

Yep. May 18, 1980.....I remember that Sunday morning well.

. I remember it like it was yesterday. Have Cousins in Yakima, they had several inches of ash on the ground, it was like driving on ice. It turned dark in the middle of the afternoon. I won a lottery for the first 50 People to fish Spirit Lake after the eruption 5 years later.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So how powerful are they? This lava rock is in so. central Idaho, about 20 miles north of Ketchum. It's approx 6' in diameter so it's got some weight to it. It's sitting on a low granite ridge. The nearest old volcano is more than 50 miles away in a straight line. That's a long toss. Most of Idaho's volcanoes were the kind that poured out rivers of lava resulting in thousands of square miles of lava beds. This one obviously came from an explosion but most were very unlike the Cascade ones.

Perhaps a glacier?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Giant thunder egg.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember it also, was in Lewiston Idaho taking my soon to be wife to the movie theater for an afternoon show. After the movie we went out to the parking lot, it was dark and looked like it was snowing. City road maintenance used snow plows to clear the roads. Had to change air filters in the vehicles every time doing an oil change and several times in between, for a long time.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve

Giant thunder egg.

Didn't you say that you were a fossil/ gem collector Steve?
I can only imagine that it would fragment on impact
. That said, it would be easy enough for the locals to verify without need of a geologist.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 79S
Growing up was always told the 3 sisters in Oregon were the ones to watch out for. Far as mt hood it all depends which way she blows. If it’s side explosion like St. Helens Portland is all but gone. If it blows towards Hood River I guess it potentially plug up the Columbia river. Bunch of what if’s

Around here it’s Glacier Peak they say is more concern than Rainier but Rainier has a ton of people in its path.

οΏ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.οΏ½ οΏ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
andesitic strato volcanoes are mean mfkers, got that big solid β€˜cum plug’ that lets pressure build and build, then it lets loose like a retard on prom night

Experience?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Lassen, Shasta, Hood.......

It will all fail in comparison to a properly placed Juan De Fuca or San Andreas event.

A Juan De Fuca event in particular wipes out everything west of I-5 in Washington, and possibly everything in the area up to 200' above sea level.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Was 5 when st helens blew, quite the deal alright.... The toutle still isn't right, rainier blows, to the west, it'll be something else....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
andesitic strato volcanoes are mean mfkers, got that big solid β€˜cum plug’ that lets pressure build and build, then it lets loose like a retard on prom night

LMAO

Geology with Professor Slumlord.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by kingston

LMAO

Geology with Professor Slumlord.

You're smoking Krakatoa!

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Lots of eruptions are just drops in a bucket perhaps taking out a few cities and towns. Krakatoa (1883 I think) was a pretty serious deal with the initial shock waves making 7 or 8 passes around the globe. Seems recording barometers were the vogue thing among the wealthy in Europe at that time, and they recorded the pressure spikes as they repeatedly circled the earth.

Still, for those in the immediate area, even the small ones are significant. I got to venture into the Spirit Lake area a couple months after St Helens blew. The surgical nature of the pyroclastic flows was amazing. Old growth timber, blasted free of bark, all down, and oriented in the same direction was hard to understand when a stand 5 yards to the right appeared untouched, erect, and healthy. There were places where the forest and its underlying soils were heaved over the horizon. As we approached the mountain from the east, there were several view points where I would have confidently placed myself to watch the eruption. Had one indeed been there, no sign of him would have ever been found.

Indeed, Mother Nature can be a bitch, and it seems it's always the government's fault when she unwinds.

If I elect to occupy a flood plain, coastal sand dune, or a volcanic slope, it was my own undoing.

How far was that location you mention from the mountain?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The Mt St Helens area is still quite a sight, especially for flatlanders.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Similar lava bolulders we found in New Mexico. Out in the middle of no where. I mean NO WHERE. No idea how far it was to anything resembling an old volcano, but it was at least 50 to 75 miles. That's one heck of a shotput throw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duck911
Lassen, Shasta, Hood.......

It will all fail in comparison to a properly placed Juan De Fuca or San Andreas event.

A Juan De Fuca event in particular wipes out everything west of I-5 in Washington, and possibly everything in the area up to 200' above sea level.

I'll bet the double ace flys over and rescues at least half a million people......

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve

Giant thunder egg.

Didn't you say that you were a fossil/ gem collector Steve?
I can only imagine that it would fragment on impact
. That said, it would be easy enough for the locals to verify without need of a geologist.
I'm no geologist and don't know much about this stuff. I ran across this thing while hunting and it's very out of place sitting where it is. It's porous lava and there's no other lava for many miles. It's possible that it's final placement was by a glacier but it's only about 5 miles from here to the top of a 10k ridge. It still would have to have been tossed 40 to 50 miles and over that ridge. There was a lot of old volcanic activity in Idaho but most was in the flat desert. This is in the high mountains.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (222ND, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,054
Posts18,482,307
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.