Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Had a half blind TIA couple of months ago. Vision returned after three days.

I too had a TIA a couple months ago. Vision went to chit cooking dinner and asked wife for a hand, I laid down and she secured things then came in the room and said "in my car or 911" into her car and off to ER. 24 hrs a CT scan ,MRI , Echo cardiogram ,Carotid ultrasound and lots of Heparin later no bleed or other damage. Lecture about my daily aspirin and upping my cardio daily.

i a

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Side pass what you doing for cardio? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Frig.

Glad you are still with us Dave.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Had a half blind TIA couple of months ago. Vision returned after three days.

I too had a TIA a couple months ago. Vision went to chit cooking dinner and asked wife for a hand, I laid down and she secured things then came in the room and said "in my car or 911" into her car and off to ER. 24 hrs a CT scan ,MRI , Echo cardiogram ,Carotid ultrasound and lots of Heparin later no bleed or other damage. Lecture about my daily aspirin and upping my cardio daily.

That's exactly why I didn't go to the ER. Knew they'd order every test know to man and those test would not change the outcome. I've had 3-4 TIAs during the last two years. Just increase ASA dose and move on.

Alright , I'm bull headed.

This past Monday I awoke to chest pain at 2AM. Took some ASA and a dose of my blood pressure meds. No relief so at 6AM drove myself to the ER. After being kept in the waiting area I got rowdy enough they took me to the treatment area and did an EKG,Chest xray.02, CT, blood drawn twice,They told me my cardiac enzymes were sky high. nothing for pain. Sat there shivering in the hospital gown while nurses walked around with light jackets or sweaters on. Six fkn hours. Pain eased off at 12pm and I told them FU and left.

Cardiologist called me at home and I agree to return for cardiac Cath. So they schedueled it for this coming FRIDAY! Wtf?

i a

Last edited by websterparish47; 03/11/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ace, I'm 61, and up until Monday, absolutely nothing worth noting medically, either treating or medicating. I had COVID and never even needed a hanky.

There's a couple other surprises I got from the MRI and CT scans, in essence, 45 year old time bombs left over from cancer treatments (4000 rads of glowing goodness) back in the 1970s. It's likely the biggest, nastiest surprise caused the stroke and it isn't cardiovascular in origin. The radiation fried both my brain lining and a heart valve, it seems. But the observations of the stroke event are real, and I had no idea what I was experiencing was anything other than "getting old."

Just thought I'd say something about balance and eyes, because it's not being taught.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
strokes run in my family

I figure its whats gonna expedite my end of life, whenever that comes. Hopefully not for awhile.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
When you feel unstable and can't focus take an extra blood pressure pill and 4 aspirin. I had my first wake up call in 2009. And after everything was said and done I came to the conclusion that there's nothing that can save or prevent you from a stroke.
Life is good live it while you can.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was 58 when I had mine.
That was good advice Dave, if only had then. Keep up the faith.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dave, thank you for pointing out the balance and eye symptoms. I didn't know that. I sincerely hope that whatever effects you are experiencing from your stroke lessen with time.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My dear mother had a horrible stroke at the age of 47. She was in a coma for 6 weeks.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's a good idea for us old folks to carry a couple of aspirins, chew it if you have to.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Dave, Do you ever take your blood pressure?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Side pass what you doing for cardio? Mb

Stationary bike and fast walking. Retire tomorrow or tomorrow is my last day of work. Will be joining a gym if any are open and adding elliptical and rowing to the mix 4 days a week.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Interesting on the aspirin. Im an EMT and we are taught not to give aspirin if we suspect a stroke because it can make the bleed worse?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Prayers for you complete recovery, Dave!

I know you must be having a hard time right now. frown

Thanks for the post.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hoping the best for you, Dave. Get better!!!

I cannot (did not) read your post . It’s a day to day ordeal for me. Hard for me.

Been so since the nightmare began Dec. 28, 2014.

Again. I truly wish the best for you AND your loved ones.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
No you're not, not yet, but I did. Last week. It's bad.

No sympathy needed or wanted, and especially no guff about "God's plan" or "lucky," but I learned something I really needed to know beforehand that they DON'T put in the Public Service Announcements, at least here in Montana. All I want from you is for you to read, learn, and maybe save yourself. And maybe if you're a strokee, tell me if I'm right.

The official "code" for stroke as on TV is, F A S T -- Face, Arms, Speech, Time. And even though my blood work shows nothing that would make me a "stroke candidate," I paid attention with the intent of spotting it and helping others get to the hospital, as some of my friends have stroked, some okay, some really not. So I've memorized FAST, right?

So, last Monday night at about 4 AM, I'm on deadline, cranking hard, up on coffee and Copenhagen, stress headache and my eyes get "computer fuzz," which I've had before, almost exactly the same way, same time, two or three times in the last two years. Heck with it, I'll walk home. Halfway through the walk, I feel dizzy and can't see squat, I got lost on a path I can easily walk in full dark with my eyes closed. Got home, thought maybe I should FAST myself, and I did. Recited the Preamble without a hitch, did a couple pushups, checked my face (I could only see half at once), did a drunk test on myself, I was fine, not a bobble. "Heckit, I'll sleep this off as usual." Couple Aleve, to bed, as I'd been fine after sleeping things off before. Maybe I should have chugged some aspirin, because in the AM I was still blind in half my field of vision in both eyes and aspirin is the first thing they give you in the ER. Still am. Sucks.

Off to the ER, too late. 20 grand later, with a couple of snapshots of my head the only take-home besides the bill and the "You've Had A Stroke You Poor Thing" handouts.
In sorting the handouts, there's, you bet, a FAST card, like that's gonna help now? But in the full size sheets, there's another checklist, this one translates as B E F A S T. Well, Bang Me Thuot.
The B and E stand for BALANCE and EYES. Bang Me Thuot, TWICE.

With plenty of time to contemplate, I finally realized the FAST narrative is focused on spotting strokes in others, not in yourself. Had I known about the BE part before FAST, maybe I wouldn't be utterly screwed for the rest of my life, because the B and E is what happens to YOU when YOU'RE HAVING A FACKING STROKE.

And it's especially important for us in the outdoors where there's nobody around to help.

First, the B. If you're walking around, stone cold sober and you start feeling a bar buzz, that's your BALANCE. I felt like I'd had two drinkies, and I hadn't touched a drop in two weeks prior. PAY ATTENTION.

Second, the E. That's eyes. We've all had fuzz outs and tunnel vision, right? That's migraine, because it's a ROUND fuzzout that looks circular, while your center is still okay. Kind of like crawling the scope wrong, that's not a stroke.

In a stroke, you lose ONE side or the other off the vertical crosshair, you can only see half the prairie dog, and BOTH EYES blind in the same part of the sight picture of each. You'll lose the horizontal crosshair on either side, not both, of the vertical. The vertical line between "see" and "blind" is unmistakable, and will move with your eyes.

Put another way, if you look straight at something and can only see half of what you're looking at and expecting to see, split vertically, YOU"RE HAVING A STROKE.

What do you do? Swat aspirin, call help and get to the ER by the fastest possible means, warp speed, period, or you are F0ed beyond belief. Utterly f ed. The life I envisioned for the years I have left is GONE.

Thing is, if I'd ever heard of BE FAST, not just FAST, I'd be telling you about a close call. Don't be me, BE FAST. I slipped through the "public education" cracks on this one, and it's a gaping canyon with my life splattered on the rocks at the bottom. Trust me, the public health/public misinformation "experts" who decided FAST didn't need to BEFAST, or that the public is too stupid to memorize BEFAST, will feel my pain, very soon. I fully intend to quietly find out who was responsible for the production of that advertisement, and they will never, ever forget me.

Well, you come across as fully okay mentally, which is great. Sorry to hear this happened to you, and thanks for the information. I will take it to heart. Don't give up on getting over most of any deficit that you have. It may well all (or mostly) clear up in time. Best of luck to you in that regard.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dave glad to read you are ok / on the mend. Thanks very much for the detailed information.

Hugh
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Long known medical fact: For every 5 millimeters of mercury (mmHg) reduction in diastolic BP, your incidence of stroke is cut by 34%.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
this will help > tobacco is not good for anyone >> get rid of the Copenhagen

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 53 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.