Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
I haven't read all these posts but why would anyone waste time and money shooting groups all day long? To say nothing about wearing out barrels.

Those who do this probably can't hit a pie plate at 100 yards if they get up on their hind legs and shoot like a man.

I have some acquaintances who shoot a lot from the bench, don’t worry about wearing out barrels and would like to bet you on hitting 10 inch steel plates standing at 200. And one of the them will make you dig at 300.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I haven't read all these posts but why would anyone waste time and money shooting groups all day long? To say nothing about wearing out barrels.

Those who do this probably can't hit a pie plate at 100 yards if they get up on their hind legs and shoot like a man.

Offhand, I'd say you're wrong, and anyhoo, if you don't wear out a barrel now and then how are you ever going to justify a new barrel?

Flintlock, 50 yards:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

.38-55 100 yards:

Both of 'em shot while upright on my hind legs.

I cheated on this one, elbow rest:

Pleas note there are a bucket full of one hole groups on the targets above. And the pie plate died peacefully.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Benchrest 'smith buddy of mine would LOL at this thread !!!!!!

and why not,

its entertainment

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What is your expectation/experience in that regard, and what do you consider acceptable accuracy for hunting, say 300 yds. and under??

This past year I took a little different approach. I bought a new Tikka in 308 and after mounting a Leupold scope it would shoot a little over 1” at 100 yards.

There is a shooting range near the boat landing I use to launch my boat to go to my camp. Every Friday on the way to the landing I would stop at the range and shoot one shot to make certain a first shot from a cold bore went where I wanted.

Knowing where that first shot went was more important to me than eventually shooting a 3/4” group.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Benchrest 'smith buddy of mine would LOL at this thread !!!!!!

and why not,

its entertainment

ya!

GWB

Free ta boot !! smile smile smile

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Several have mentioned cold bore 1st shot.
👍👍👍
Wont wet clean a center fire barrel after confirming zero prior to deer season.
Bore snake em several times between the shots at the range.
Then boresnaked for hunting after that last range shot.

That 1st shot out of wet cleaned and put up for the year barrel is always a flyer at some oclock position 1 to 2 inches off the zero.
Then bore snake it....
# 2 3 4 5 boresnaked shots in between outta the "conditioned" barrel are on the bull. Looking at previous Tgts also confirms 0 scope drift.

Copper clean every 25 30 rds.
A storage clean in between the copper clean #,s is just Hoppes#9
Which is easily negated back to a hunting condition barrel with the 1st shot.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is a wet clean then dry bore rountine between shots for my Kodiak .45 inline ML.
Like to keep it that way for consistency and I'm only taking 1 shot with that during ML for the year anyways.

My Savage 220 is a dry clean bore snaked rountine also for a hunting conditioned barrel.
1 shot for the year with the 220 also.

The 1st shot counts the most...

YMMV.....

Last edited by renegade50; 03/14/21.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
What is your expectation/experience in that regard, and what do you consider acceptable accuracy for hunting, say 300 yds. and under??

Paper Plate.

Garbage can lid.
Call me Shakey.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
May go a 100 rounds or more between cleanings...and even then think it unnecessary. Have yet to have a first shot miss that was the rifles fault.

Haven’t missed one that was standing for awhile. Have when they were moving out, but I couldn’t blame the rifle.

Addition: Thinking on it...would much rather have a rifle that shot well dirty....than one that only did so when relatively clean.
And again when referring Big Game, most are big.

Last edited by battue; 03/14/21.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I can cover a three shot group with a nickel at a 100 yds and keep them in the bottom of a coke can at 300+ I’m good to go. Knowing what’s going on in between the muzzle and the target is just as important imo. I mostly just shoot off the shelf ammo that my gun likes.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OK, I've developed my load. Now it's time to test for first shot, cold bore @ 100 yds. In this case I waited a few minutes and followed up with a second round.

Only two shots, but IMHO, this is a true 1 hole group. The 60 gr. load with the 130 Ballistic Tips/Accubonds is my "go-to" load for the 270 Win.

BTW.

It works for me.

YMMV

ya!

GWB
Put #3 in between those two and you will be good to go!!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Quien Sabe?

GWB

I am perfectly content with 1.5 MOA out of my big game hunting rifles.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I once asked a gunsmith if he could do anything mechanically to the rifle he was working on for me that would negate me peeking over the scope, jerking the trigger, and rolling my shoulder into the recoil? I'm guilty of that when I get excited/in a hurry while hunting. IF I remember to take just enough time to think the word "squeeze" my bullets get placed exponentially more accurately. Shooting upland game over my flushing dog wreaks havoc with my rifle shooting if I don't take the time to think "Squeeze". There's an embarrassingly large number of coyotes that have run away unscathed when I tried to shoot them with a rifle using sloppy shotgunning technique.

In regards to the OP:

1. I'm not good, consistent, patient, observant, nor meticulous enough to shoot 1-hole groups "all day long", it really doesn't matter if the rifle is that capable, because I'm not.

2. I sight in my hunting rifles dead on @ 200yds. Actually shoot targets @ 200, not 1.5" high @ 100 and call it close enough.

3. I prefer the Redfield/Champion grid targets for sighting in and I prefer using the diamonds in the corners vs. the center. The corner diamonds are 3" tip to tip.

4. My goal @ 200yds is to keep 5 shots inside that diamond and have the group centered near the middle of the diamond. That's with a good BR front rest, sandbag on the rear, solid bench and "ideal" wind conditions.

5. Assuming I've achieved #4's goal, now it's time to get the hunting rifle off of the bench and shoot steel from field positions.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If I'm trying to make a move on a deer using terrian to my advantage.
With a nothing to lose but everything to gain situation.
Running, jogging , slow walking over a short or long distance.
I'm looking ahead for a tree to brace on, or if not a kneeling position to take the shot.
Having a tight grouping zeroed rifle compensates for error.
Most important thing IMO when your blood is pumping and your breathing is fast.
Is to exhale and shoot at the natrual 1 to 2 second max pause at the bottom of your breath and let the crosshair settle down naturally from the exhale onto your shot.
You might get away with repeating 2 or 3 cycles of a respiratory pause doing this to get off a shot.
But that 1st cycle is your money maker.
After a couple of cycles of doing this .
Your lungs and blood are screaming for 02 if ya cant get it done and your vision will blur on ya faster at the bottom of your exhale.

JME......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One hole groups in the field:

They work every time.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I really love carrying my customized mauser 8x57 versus the mod 70 ot6

7.75 pds scoped and loaded versus a almost 9 pd mod 70 classic sporter in same condition.

Poor ole ot6 aint seen the woodline since fall 2017.

That 8x57 is a perfect woods rifle to me.
Lightweight to me.
Easy to carry
Accurate
Hard hitting with 196gr SPCE bullets at 2592 fps.

1st shots are money..........

Last edited by renegade50; 03/14/21.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by renegade50
If I'm trying to make a move on a deer using terrian to my advantage.
With a nothing to lose but everything to gain situation.
Running, jogging , slow walking over a short or long distance.
I'm looking ahead for a tree to brace on, or if not a kneeling position to take the shot.
Having a tight grouping zeroed rifle compensates for error.
Most important thing IMO when your blood is pumping and your breathing is fast.
Is to exhale and shoot at the natrual 1 to 2 second max pause at the bottom of your breath and let the crosshair settle down naturally from the exhale onto your shot.
You might get away with repeating 2 or 3 cycles of a respiratory pause doing this to get off a shot.
But that 1st cycle is your money maker.
After a couple of cycles of doing this .
Your lungs and blood are screaming for 02 if ya cant get it done and your vision will blur on ya faster at the bottom of your exhale.

JME......

Good post on getting the job done. I have never had the training you have but I have had to just stop for a second, relax and take a few deep breaths to gain my composure. Of course that is not always an option.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Big difference betwixt hunters....and shooters!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Big difference betwixt hunters....and shooters!

True, rarely in the field can I get into a position that I can take full advantage of a super accurate rifle. I like accurate rifles as much as the next guy and spend a lot of time getting the best out of my guns and loads, but anymore it’s not the most accurate rifle that’s going into the field. Usually it’s a beater that I don’t mind if it gets scuffed up.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by battue

I have some acquaintances who shoot a lot from the bench, don’t worry about wearing out barrels and would like to bet you on hitting 10 inch steel plates standing at 200. And one of the them will make you dig at 300.

Consistently, or once in awhile? When I was 18, I won 6th place National Champion in the Master Class at the national matches at Camp Perry. 16 out of 20 shots, offhand at 200 yards, were inside of the 12" aiming bull. Only 16. With respect, I don't think your friends can consistently hit a 10" bull at 200 yards and, if they can, why waste time shooting groups off the bench. Unless, of course, they are a competitive bench rest shooter.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Acquaintances not friends.

They will monotonously ring steel standing at 200 yards when they grow tired of shooting groups.... and a couple summers ago the one was over 50% hits at 300 with a .338Fed.

As far as Bench vs offhand, when they show up at the range they come with a bunch of guns. And between the rifles and scopes they a pushing a nice truck between their group. How many? I don’t know, they just have more than a few, few of which are not custom and they are there for the day.

The boys are “shooters”.

Addition: I’m not in their league, but if I had to bet on myself shooting a one hole 3 shot bench group, or ringing steel offhand at 100. I’ll be standing.

Addition again: I forgot to mention they are shooting their bench groups down on the far right benches...at which they can only shoot at the 400-500-600 banks

Last edited by battue; 03/14/21.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,818
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.