Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gsganzer
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

But when a law firm I do some consulting work for asks me for my opinion, I'll give him my best shot as to HOW... wink

I'm not knocking you personally, I'm also a consultant and I understand some customers have warts. However, nobody gets hurt, but a law firm wants an answer so they can try to make money from it anyway?

If Biden ever gets the PLCAA (Protection of Legal Commerce in Arms Act), they'll use an endless string of lawsuits like this to bankrupt the industry.

I'm all for keeping defective products safe, but I'm not sure this fits that category, or is the intent of the law firm.

Maybe I just have a really low opinion of lawyers.

Perhaps the law firm was seeking a professional opinion so they could tell the client they did not feel they had a case?

Law firms investigate every aspect of everything. Even if it concludes the client is at fault. (At least the decent ones do.)

Which is exactly what happened.

Lawyer told the client if he wanted, to contact S&B himself and maybe they'd send him a new box of ammo. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For one thing, where;s the BOX being moved? Was it full of ONLY ammo boxes or packed cattywampus, with "other" items inside?

Box doesn't look in the greatest shape, either. Been handled a lot, and not well.

That's also a terrible picture of the primer, but that thing looks like it fired, tried to push itself out, and a large round thing was pushing back, therefore the dimple or concavity. Clearly, there was ANOTHER box of ammo underneath, in the corner, with the round below lined up just right.

I'd bet the company the kid slipped, the corner hit, and BANG.

Operator error to me. That these geniuses actually have contacted a lawyer just lowers the IQ assessment. If your kid drops the big box of ammo you overloaded on the granite countertop, what the heck would you EXPECT to happen?

Some people don't deserve their gun rights.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by gsganzer

But when a law firm I do some consulting work for asks me for my opinion, I'll give him my best shot as to HOW... wink

I'm not knocking you personally, I'm also a consultant and I understand some customers have warts. However, nobody gets hurt, but a law firm wants an answer so they can try to make money from it anyway?

If Biden ever gets the PLCAA (Protection of Legal Commerce in Arms Act), they'll use an endless string of lawsuits like this to bankrupt the industry.

I'm all for keeping defective products safe, but I'm not sure this fits that category, or is the intent of the law firm.

Maybe I just have a really low opinion of lawyers.

Perhaps the law firm was seeking a professional opinion so they could tell the client they did not feel they had a case?

Law firms investigate every aspect of everything. Even if it concludes the client is at fault. (At least the decent ones do.)

Which is exactly what happened.

Lawyer told the client if he wanted, to contact S&B himself and maybe they'd send him a new box of ammo. wink

You might have repaired some of my opinions of lawyers. smile

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The primer looks like it has been ripped inward. If that is the case, I would first suspect defective primer, in example, thin metal. Finger pressure upsetting the mix.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Knew a gun shop owner who would slam a box of ammo down on the counter for the hellovit. He also put old, discoloured ammo into brass vibrator to clean them up to sell. None of them ever went off.

Something struck that primer, for sure. I”m going with a piece of plastic debris in the box.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Odd, primer looks as if it has been hit by something. Case split would be normal firing not chambered.

Without a doubt.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've seen a case and bullet, after the .45 ACP round rolled off a dresser and fell to the carpet tack strip below...loud pop and split brass case, flash burn spot on the wall and back of the dresser, size of a tangerine, and the bullet left a short line on the painted wall above the singed spot. case looked very similar, primer showed a sharp strike, not the usual dent.

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been hand loading for 40 years, and I load for over 35 cartridges (at last count). Only twice have I ever had a primer go off (I'm talking tens of thousands of rounds). I've crushed them sideways, upside down, every which way over the years. That anvil has to be "smacked" just right. As others have said, SOMETHING hit that primer. Did the kid drop something on top of the box of S&B ammo while it was on the counter? Oh, I also work at a busy gun shop and i'm throwing around cases of ammo, handling boxes of ammo, and sometimes loose ammo, all day long, NEVER had a round go off.

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Somebody lied.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Somebody lied.

Yup. Can't go bang without the primer getting struck.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d expect to see a lot more soot/burn marks on the box. Judging by the nose of the bullet, it looks like the primer was definitely struck by something.

Dollar to a donut you could hold a round with pliers and hit it with a something enough times to make it go off.

Id like to see the top and bottom of the box, the side doesn’t tell anything except that the round wasn’t in it when it went off.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
1 in a kabillion primer strike on something in the ammo box or something edge pointed enough in the packing box to come in contact with the ammo box and specifically on that primer.
Add in possible weight on top of the box of ammo in the moving box
Had ta have force from a drop to dent it enough to go off.

Did anyone beside the kid witness it???

He probably dropped the box????
Goofing off hitting on a primer with the butt end of a butterknife???

one in a kabillion thing maybe???
Schitloads of variables in the whole thing.

Wouldnt say it was S&B,s fault.
Too much unknown when, where , or how the box mighta been dropped.

The lawyers are aware S&B are a Czechoslovakian company???
Good luck with litigation internationally for a mystery round going off.
Probably even a blurb about proper storage on the package???
Or on Msds sheet available upon request.

The people ougta ask for 1k of ammo for compensation????
Or maybe a gift certificate for some thru the U.S. distributor???
LOL!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 03/15/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
1 in a kabillion primer strike on something in the ammo box or something edge pointed enough in the packing box to come in contact with the ammo box and specifically on that primer.
Add in possible weight on top of the box of ammo in the moving box
Had ta have force from a drop to dent it enough to go off.

Did anyone beside the kid witness it???

He probably dropped the box????
Goofing off hitting on a primer with the butt end of a butterknife???

one in a kabillion thing maybe???
Schitloads of variables in the whole thing.

Wouldnt say it was S&B,s fault.
Too much unknown when, where , or how the box mighta been dropped.

The lawyers are aware S&B are a Czechoslovakian company???
Good luck with litigation internationally for a mystery round going off.
Probably even a blurb about proper storage on the package???
Or on Msds sheet available upon request.

The people ougta ask for 1k of ammo for compensation????
Or maybe a gift certificate for some thru the U.S. distributor???
LOL!!!

Girt certificate? Pfft take a hike

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ammo was still in factory box.

It was in a larger box as the guy was moving to another house. Box was on kitchen counter, and when his son picked up the box, the detonation occurred.

His son wasn't hurt, but scared the hell out of both of them.

Here's the photos the law firm sent me for my opinion.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Box. You can see the tears in the box from detonation.

What say you?

What caused this?

Hey I got 200 boxes of that stuff, something I should be concerned about

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How long can a hang-fire take to decide to go off? Hang-fire placed back in box? Just a WAG.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I suggest that something smacked thar primer. IF it really went down the way the plaintiff is saying, then there must have been something in that box of ammo that shouldn't have been there. A ball of #6 shot, possibly? Maybe they're not being straight about it...maybe the kid was actually "setting it down" (and not so gently) rather than picking it up. Whatever the case may be, I think it went off because the primer was struck.

Yep, somewhere somehow, and then call yer lowyer bud. whistle

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crappy primer pic, but it looks as though something made a strike.

1Minute
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Any body else ever had a round go off when they picked up a box of ammo?

I worked for Scheels during college. I ran the ammo dept. for 3 yrs. I have literally moved 10’s of thousands of ammo boxes myself. Never had one go off pick it them up nor putting them down. Never had a round go off in the store due to a dropped box which happens at least weekly.

Last edited by horse1; 03/15/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Any body else ever had a round go off when they picked up a box of ammo?

I worked for Scheels during college. I ran the ammo dept. for 3 yrs. I have literally moved 10’s of thousands of ammo boxes myself. Never had one go off pick it them up nor putting them down. Never had a round go off in the store due to a dropped box which happens at least weekly.

I'm with you, does anyone know the force it take to set off a primer? Put your finger on a bolt face and pull the trigger, I bet it hurts, hope UPS or Fed EX don't see this thread or we will be pay haz-mat on shipping ammo

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
" get that @$%# box off the counter" Usual kid response would be to slam it down

Where is Paul Harvey?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,500 guests, and 873 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,945
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.