G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Reticle in 1st focal plane enlarges as magnification is increased....reticle in a 2nd focal plane scope remains static through all power ranges

Thanks!

I will say i struggled a bit with a coyote at 588 the other day using my LRTS on 12X, not as clean as i'd hoped.

LRTS or LRTSi?

Jordan, LRTS, i saw the bulet hit him, using the little 6.5 Swede and 147 Horn, he spun a couple circles and made the 15 yards through the North fence, died in the rocks and sawbriars, i didn't crawl through for the autopsy.

Trump Won!
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Coyote hit at 588 is good stuff!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Coyote hit at 588 is good stuff!

Thanks MtnBoomer, little hash marks a bit busy with him standing in brush of the same dang color, if those sombucks wouldn't move, we'd never see em.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Ringman
Second focal plane for me!

I don't like covering so much of the target when increasing the magnification.

HUH? FFP reticles cover the SAME amount of target no matter the frigging power......

Even when looking at people thru your scope?

lololol. That was funny.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Shooting colony varmints. Like rock chucks and p dogs would be a great use of ffp. Big game hunting. Naw. Are you taking one shot or multiple at the same targets typically. One shot hopefully, second focal. Raining in multiple shots. Ffp

You don't know what the hell you are talking about as usual. I have killed more big game with a ffp scope than you will likely even see. They work just fine. If you are going to dial, and/ or hold for wind, then a ffp scope is a great asset. If not, then a sfp scope will likely work just fine for all of your hunting needs.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Reticle in 1st focal plane enlarges as magnification is increased....reticle in a 2nd focal plane scope remains static through all power ranges

Thanks!

I will say i struggled a bit with a coyote at 588 the other day using my LRTS on 12X, not as clean as i'd hoped.

LRTS or LRTSi?

Jordan, LRTS, i saw the bulet hit him, using the little 6.5 Swede and 147 Horn, he spun a couple circles and made the 15 yards through the North fence, died in the rocks and sawbriars, i didn't crawl through for the autopsy.

Nice work! What was it about the scope that you struggled with?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by atse
Shooting colony varmints. Like rock chucks and p dogs would be a great use of ffp. Big game hunting. Naw. Are you taking one shot or multiple at the same targets typically. One shot hopefully, second focal. Raining in multiple shots. Ffp

You don't know what the hell you are talking about as usual. I have killed more big game with a ffp scope than you will likely even see. They work just fine. If you are going to dial, and/ or hold for wind, then a ffp scope is a great asset. If not, then a sfp scope will likely work just fine for all of your hunting needs.

+1

But I would modify it a bit. If you are going to use the reticle as a ruler for any reason, then FFP is a great asset.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The hash marks and the coyote standing in that old tall yellow range grass and general dead brown brush, he was hard to clean up in there Jordan, went back and looked at the same spot through my NF with NP-1 reticle, a lot cleaner to me, i know, old school, but damn i like it.

I dont shoot further than i can twist, so all the extra ups are of no use to me, if you care to see how i gauge wind, go down to the BPCR forum and look under the Bagwell Eulogy thread, Pacecars posted up a couple youtube vids for me, one is shooting a 152 year old original 45-110 Sharps buffalo rifle at 700 yards with barrel ladder sights in a guesstimated 12-15 mph full value crosswind, i held near 8 feet into that East wind shooting dew North.

The 514gr paper patch bullet over Lord Black landed a bit high and right of the 13 inch bullseye, the gong in 3'x3', still a dead buffalo, and that's what those old rifles were made for.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The hash marks and the coyote standing in that old tall yellow range grass and general dead brown brush, he was hard to clean up in there Jordan, went back and looked at the same spot through my NF with NP-1 reticle, a lot cleaner to me, i know, old school, but damn i like it.

I dont shoot further than i can twist, so all the extra ups are of no use to me, if you care to see how i gauge wind, go down to the BPCR forum and look under the Bagwell Eulogy thread, Pacecars posted up a couple youtube vids for me, one is shooting a 152 year old original 45-110 Sharps buffalo rifle at 700 yards with barrel ladder sights in a guesstimated 12-15 mph full value crosswind, i held near 8 feet into that East wind shooting dew North.

The 514gr paper patch bullet over Lord Black landed a bit high and right of the 13 inch bullseye, the gong in 3'x3', still a dead buffalo, and that's what those old rifles were made for.

Thanks. Makes sense, as the center of the LRTS reticle is extra fine, even compared to the LRHS or LRTSi. To me the LRTS is more of a good light/clear background type of scope, while the LRHS and LRTSi are better suited to difficult lighting conditions and tough backgrounds that are common in hunting scenarios. I really like the LRTS for a steel/play rifle, though.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet, that 147 Horn tagged his ribs hard too, a lot of pink bubbly going under the barbed wire, i wouldn't hesitate a big buck or pig with that scope/rifle/load, i've underestimated that bullet more than once in the wind on home steel. crazy

Trump Won!
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by atse

+1

But I would modify it a bit. If you are going to use the reticle as a ruler for any reason, then FFP is a great asset.

Over the last 3 years, since I began experimenting with an LRHS/LRHSi and getting accustomed to FFP, I've found the above from Jordan and atse (obviously not cummins) to be 100% spot on while culling a couple hundred pigs and about 50 whitetail does. Lot's to like about FFP in the field I've found.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/18/21.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Field? Not playground?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Threads like this make me envious that I don't have a place to do long range plinking, training and hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

HUH? FFP reticles cover the SAME amount of target no matter the frigging power......

Exactly. And I don't like it when they are turned up. With 2nd plane the reticle gets smaller as one turns up the magnification.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With 2nd plane the reticle gets smaller as one turns up the magnification.

Relative to the target. To the eye, it stays the same size.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ohhh chit, ooohhhh chit, is that a three-point or a spike? Ohhhhhhh.. Hurrrryyyy.. Ohhhh chit... Oooh chit. Gossssshh... Ooooohhh. Ohhh fuuuckyeah... Ooooohhhh I'm gonna kiiilllll it.........

OHHH CHIT - oh it's some gal jogging! Safety on...

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ohhh chit, ooohhhh chit, is that a three-point or a spike? Ohhhhhhh.. Hurrrryyyy.. Ohhhh chit... Oooh chit. Gossssshh... Ooooohhh. Ohhh fuuuckyeah... Ooooohhhh I'm gonna kiiilllll it.........

OHHH CHIT - oh it's some gal jogging! Safety on...

sounds more like a tranny jogging if counting points!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Exactly. And I don't like it when they are turned up. With 2nd plane the reticle gets smaller as one turns up the magnification.

???? I think you have that backwards. Like Vic is suggesting, the reticle only gets smaller relative to the target when magnification goes up in a SFP.

In FFP, the reticle size (or more appropriately, appearance of size) changes along with the magnification, and carries the same subtension throughout the power range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every scope gives up something, just because you can use a 40mm tube 8-32x56 ffp scope that is 3 pounds. Yeah it will work on a deer hunt. But it’s not the best scope for the job. Just like a 1-4x scope isn’t good for load development.

Love the comments about using the reticle as a ruler, you dipchits must shoot stationary deer. If I miss they typically run off. I am also shooting from a field rest and there is most likely going to have recoil blow me off target and me not be able to spot my hit or in this case miss. The guys saying this crap are range wanna bes.

Ffp or sfp. Both have an advantage and disadvantage. Those that cant sum it up like that and say ffp is the only scope to get don’t know shat from shinola. Go ahead attack the messenger with insults and not debate or facts. I am the luckiest guy in town if you knew me and the life I lead outside the forums. and could care less about your insults and don’t need anyone’s approval

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 03/18/21.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nobody ranges off a reticle anymore. Everyone uses laser rangefinder.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 990 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.