Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Ohhh chit, ooohhhh chit, is that a three-point or a spike? Ohhhhhhh.. Hurrrryyyy.. Ohhhh chit... Oooh chit. Gossssshh... Ooooohhh. Ohhh fuuuckyeah... Ooooohhhh I'm gonna kiiilllll it.........

OHHH CHIT - oh it's some gal jogging! Safety on...

sounds more like a tranny jogging if counting points!

It's rutttttiiinnngggg! Don't turn your back on it!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Nobody ranges off a reticle anymore. Everyone uses laser rangefinder.

What does that have to do with the discussion? Never mind the fact that atmospheric conditions can render a laser RF unusable, I was not talking about ranging when I mentioned using the reticle as a ruler. Holding wind, holding elevation, holding lead on a moving critter (whether for a first shot or a follow-up, where increased FOV is helpful and I don’t want the scope set on max magnification), in addition to spotting shots for a hunting partner where you may need to call a correction, are all situations where I’ve used the reticle as a ruler many times in the field, and have nothing to do with using the reticle to range the target.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
you dipchits must shoot stationary deer.....The guys saying this crap are range wanna bes.....Those that cant sum it up like that don’t know shat from shinola....

....Go ahead attack the messenger with insults and not debate or facts.

Anybody with half a brain cell can clearly see the hypocrisy in your self-proclaimed victimhood status. You’re not fooling anyone.

I think it’s also equally clear to anybody with even a hint of savvy, who in this thread is basing their opinions off of field experience hunting BG, and who are the “range wanna bes”.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Nobody ranges off a reticle anymore. Everyone uses laser rangefinder.

What does that have to do with the discussion? Never mind the fact that atmospheric conditions can render a laser RF unusable, I was not talking about ranging when I mentioned using the reticle as a ruler. Holding wind, holding elevation, holding lead on a moving critter (whether for a first shot or a follow-up, where increased FOV is helpful and I don’t want the scope set on max magnification), in addition to spotting shots for a hunting partner where you may need to call a correction, are all situations where I’ve used the reticle as a ruler many times in the field, and have nothing to do with using the reticle to range the target.

Jordan shoots at deer that are deaf and don’t care about high powered rifle shots being lobbed at them. Let’s call them maniquin deer

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you wear a flat-bill hat and run a carbon barrel, you need first focal plane.

If you like to hunt, and like being able to see the reticle on the first half of your scope's power range, you need second focal.

LOL, no flat bills or carbon barrels here, but I’m also not an extreme range varmint shooter or 1000 yard BR shooter, so I’ll take a well-designed FFP reticle over SFP every time for my hunting and shooting needs.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You can hold wind on second focal too. The hash marks are just a reference unless trying to convert to dialing. If I shoot and hit 2 hash marks right, I can simply hold two hash marks left the following shot. Doesn't matter if you have first or second focal. Same thing goes with a moving animal...

Wind is voodoo anyway, always amusing when people bring wind into a discussion like they have some fool proof system. . Usually it's people that don't shoot in wind....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can hold wind on second focal too. The hash marks are just a reference unless trying to convert to dialing. If I shoot and hit 2 hash marks right, I can simply hold two hash marks left the following shot. Doesn't matter if you have first or second focal. Same thing goes with a moving animal...

Wind is voodoo anyway, always amusing when people bring wind into a discussion like they have some fool proof system. . Usually it's people that don't shoot in wind....

Experience and practice gives the magnitude of those “reference hash marks” meaning. Ballistic solvers are a useful reference there, too. IME shooting a lot in the wind and at moving animals (from varmints to big game), FFP vs SFP does matter to me, and first-round hits without worrying about variable subtensions are more likely with a good FFP reticle. Again, IME.

There’s no foolproof system for wind, but the more a person practices shooting in the wind, the less “voodoo” it becomes.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don`t own a FFP scope. All mine are SFP, but to me it`s about application. Where I do most of my deer hunting here in Northern Wi., a FFP scope in the middle of a cedar swamp at first lite would be useless at low power for max FOV. I couldn`t see the reticule.
I have other tools for other applications.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atse
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Shooting colony varmints. Like rock chucks and p dogs would be a great use of ffp. Big game hunting. Naw. Are you taking one shot or multiple at the same targets typically. One shot hopefully, second focal. Raining in multiple shots. Ffp

You don't know what the hell you are talking about as usual. I have killed more big game with a ffp scope than you will likely even see. They work just fine. If you are going to dial, and/ or hold for wind, then a ffp scope is a great asset. If not, then a sfp scope will likely work just fine for all of your hunting needs.

As usual. LOL. cc just has a special blend of aggressive ingnorance, condescension and then whiny victimhood about him.

I’ve taken Mule Deer, Elk, Moose, and multiple different varmints w/ a FFP scope. No complaints at all, and won’t be going back to SFP. Reticle design is huge to me tho.

But hey, if a guy likes SFP better for his uses, more power to him. Just don’t be a tool about it and act like anyone who uses a different method is a ‘range wannabe’... laugh

Last edited by Wrongside; 03/19/21.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
I don`t own a FFP scope. All mine are SFP, but to me it`s about application. Where I do most of my deer hunting here in Northern Wi., a FFP scope in the middle of a cedar swamp at first lite would be useless at low power for max FOV. I couldn`t see the reticule.

FFP is useless on low power, but FFP soap boxers refuse to acknowledge it.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you have to ask, you don't want it. Busy crosshairs and FFP aren't for casual shooters.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That too would depend on the scope.
There are wonderful FFP scopes that aren't equipped with large magnification ranges / turrets / busy reticles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The vast majority of my kills since switching to FFP, have been on the bottom or lower end of the mag range. You’re looking thru the wrong scopes, with the wrong reticles. But then, confirmation bias is the way of the Innanet. So carry on... 😋

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

There are wonderful FFP scopes that aren't equipped with large magnification ranges / turrets / busy reticles.

Absolutely. Guys that make blanket statements about FFP reticles being unusable on low magnification typically have very limited experience with various FFP reticle designs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrongside

The vast majority of my kills since switching to FFP, have been on the bottom or lower end of the mag range. You’re looking thru the wrong scopes, with the wrong reticles. But then, confirmation bias is the way of the Innanet. So carry on... 😋

Yup!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
With 2nd plane the reticle gets smaller as one turns up the magnification.

Relative to the target. To the eye, it stays the same size.

Relative to the target is all that matters here! A scope laying on the table in front of me looks a certain size. Put it at 100 yards and it looks smaller, despite it being the same size.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yup!

And then again there's this new technology called an "illuminated reticle".

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/19/21.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yup!

LOL, well there's that too!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SKane

Yep. There were a number of Euro ffp scopes that were considered the ne plus ultra of first/last light hunting scopes. I don't know the current contenders since I quit following them when the costs really grew out of my league.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Yup!

WWP53D
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,674
Posts18,493,813
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.