Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by DBT

Genesis specifies morning and evening of each day. This is undeniable. It's there for anyone to see and read. Morning and evening of each day cannot mean eons, millions or billions of years.

You clearly didn't read my post.

I read it, but it made no sense.

GB1

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
Well sir, if one bases Christianity upon the Bible, then I can more clearly see your point of view. But the Bible isn’t the foundation of Christianity. It wasn’t for early first century followers of Jesus (when the Bible didn’t even exist), and it’s not now. The Bible exists ‘because of’ Christianity...Christianity doesn’t exist ‘because of’ the Bible. Jesus’ most devout first century followers never owned the Bible, never read the Bible...because there was no ‘the Bible’ to be had or read. There was no ‘the Bible’ until the 4th century. There were tens of thousands of Christians before there ever was ‘the Bible’. The Bible did not create Christianity. It’s the other way around.
Well said, and true. Some churches has a scrap of a letter from one evangelist that they reverenced and often read, and others had another, and some had a copy of one of them, and some had no New Testament scripture at all. What they had was the faith.

Faith in word of mouth transmission: talk...which was later put to parchment.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Genesis specifies morning and evening of each day. This is undeniable. It's there for anyone to see and read. Morning and evening of each day cannot mean eons, millions or billions of years.

You failed to understand it. Read it again, slowly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Some churches has a scrap of a letter from one evangelist that they reverenced and often read, and others had another, and some had a copy of one of them, and some had no New Testament scripture at all. What they had was the faith.

Faith in word of mouth transmission: talk...which was later put to parchment.

So faith is derived from the oral that transitioned
to what was scribed.

But since such writings aren't necessary for faith
why bother?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
There's a difference between ascribing creation to "a God" and Christianity. Christianity in this modern era just doesn't have a leg to stand on. There is just SO much in the Bible that has been proven to be untrue. So if you believe the Bible is the true inspired word of God, literally God breathed (Ephesians 3:20), then there are some problems.
Well sir, if one bases Christianity upon the Bible, then I can more clearly see your point of view. But the Bible isn’t the foundation of Christianity. It wasn’t for early first century followers of Jesus (when the Bible didn’t even exist), and it’s not now. The Bible exists ‘because of’ Christianity...Christianity doesn’t exist ‘because of’ the Bible. Jesus’ most devout first century followers never owned the Bible, never read the Bible...because there was no ‘the Bible’ to be had or read. There was no ‘the Bible’ until the 4th century. There were tens of thousands of Christians before there ever was ‘the Bible’. The Bible did not create Christianity. It’s the other way around.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I have ZERO problem with people who want to believe The Bible as a personal belief system. However, when you want to mandate how my children are taught, or limit their exposure to scientific teaching because of any religion, then I have an issue.
I don’t disagree with any of that.

You ever hear of The Old Testament?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ringman

What we call the Old Testament didn't exist under one cover till about the Fourth Century AD. They were a collection of scriptures, and churches disagreed as to which ones should be called sacred, i.e., canonical, and which apocryphal, and which merely to be respected.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well said, and true. Some churches had a scrap of a letter from one evangelist that they reverenced and often read, and others had another, and some had a copy of one of them, and some had no New Testament scripture at all. What they had was the faith.
But many people are quick to question or attack a book that didn’t even exist when Christianity began. And many people clearly attack Christianity ‘by’ attacking the Bible. That tactic fails miserably. Christianity would still be true even if every Bible and manuscript in the world were non-existent.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What we call the Old Testament didn't exist under one cover till about the Fifth Century AD. They were a collection of scriptures, and churches disagreed as to which ones should be called sacred, i.e., canonical, and which apocryphal, and which merely to be respected.
And the Old Testament scriptures didn’t become the first part of the Christian Bible, first. Early Jesus followers, ‘not’ the Jews themselves, saw that they pointed to the Messiah, who they recognized and believed to be Jesus.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

What we call the Old Testament didn't exist under one cover till about the Fourth Century AD. They were a collection of scriptures, and churches disagreed as to which ones should be called sacred, i.e., canonical, and which apocryphal, and which merely to be respected.

Maybe you could tell me what was translated from Hebrew to Latin 250 before Jesus was born.

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Maybe you could tell me what was translated from Hebrew to Latin 250 before Jesus was born.

Do you mean Greek? The Septuagint was a collection of scriptures that Greek speaking Jews considered important to their religion, which included the Torah, the Psalms, the prophets, etc., all translated into Greek so they could understand it. Very few Jews could read the original Hebrew. The Septuagint wasn't something they considered canonical, though. They disagreed as to the relative importance of the various scriptures within the Septuagint. Some they just considered histories, not sacred, e.g., the Maccabees.

IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

You failed to understand it. Read it again, slowly.

It was wrong the first time and it was wrong the next. What makes you think it's true?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RIGHT ON

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by xxclaro
We are living in the end times.

Same has been thought by Christians from day 1...surely this time it'll be correct.
There are many (and more than a few here) that are gonna be sooo disappointed if it doesn’t happen while they’re alive.

The Tribulation is on its way.
We don't know if the "end times" are going to be a time period that lasts 3 more weeks or 1,000 years, but these are the end times. As is always prudent, keep your powder dry.

Truth.
Like the Watchman awaiting his Master’s return.
We know not when......

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many people have what they call 'truth,' yet cannot agree amongst themselves on what that may be.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DBT
Many people have what they call 'truth,' yet cannot agree amongst themselves on what that may be.

It’s called human nature.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's an interesting theory in physics that says something to the effect that time stretches. It makes 200 year old people and 7 day creations possible.

Now there's an interesting idea if I've ever heard one.

That explains Methushael and 969 years.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DBT

It was wrong the first time and it was wrong the next. What makes you think it's true?

I reformulated it to be easier to understand. Try it now.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

What did Jesus refer to when He told the Jews, "You search the Scriptures...?"

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

What did Jesus refer to when He told the Jews, "You search the Scriptures...?"

Scriptures. "The Old Testament" isn't one to one equatable with "Scriptures," as I thought I explained. In fact, Protestants and Catholics don't even agree on what books belong in "The Old Testament." Jews didn't even have anything called that. They had scriptures of varying levels of importance to them, and not considered one book.

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 58 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.