J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Starman
According to some CF Christians no Catholic
is a real Christian.

Troll much?

Added, and just to be clear a denomination does not denote Christianity or lack thereof.

Last edited by JSTUART; 03/21/21.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some like to believe that if someone doesn't subscribe to their brand of Christianity they are not 'true Christians.'

Hitler was a cherry picker, mashing pagan beliefs with a selection of ideas from the bible...but that doesn't make him an atheist.

The implication appears to be that someone of faith would not do terrible things. Which ignores the work of the church during the inquisition, scum like Ivan the terrible, etc....theists who tortured and killed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DBT
Some like to believe that if someone doesn't subscribe to their brand of Christianity they are not 'true Christians.'

Hitler was a cherry picker, mashing pagan beliefs with a selection of ideas from the bible...but that doesn't make him an atheist.

The implication appears to be that someone of faith would not do terrible things. Which ignores the work of the church during the inquisition, scum like Ivan the terrible, etc....theists who tortured and killed.

To be honest I think he was a wackjob that used anything to justify whatever he wanted...but that doesn't negate the fact that Germany as a nation was predominately Christian when they went on a killing spree.
Not that it matters much for when things degrade to that point religious belief seems to take a back seat right next to civilised.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A wackjob with a set of insane beliefs, a blend of ideology and religion, which he packaged and sold to a nation, causing untold suffering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by DBT
As an internet coward emboldened by anonymity, you brand yourself with the very label you use on those who disagree with your beliefs.

Peep, peep, Little Chicken, peep, peep:

Mein Kampf (1925-1926)
''Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord. (p. 65)''

''In this hour I would ask of the Lord God only this: that, as in the past, so in the years to come He would give His blessing to our work and our action, to our judgement and our resolution, that He will safeguard us from all false pride and from all cowardly servility, that He may grant us to find the straight path which His Providence has ordained for the German people, and that He may ever give us the courage to do the right, never to falter, never to yield before any violence, before any danger... I am convinced that men who are created by God should live in accordance with the will of the Almighty...''

God the Almighty has made our nation. By defending its existence we are defending His work.
Radio address, 30 January 1945; from Thomas Streissguth (2002). World War II. New York: Greenhaven Press, p. 118.

Only He can relieve me of this duty Who called me to it. It was in the hand of Providence to snuff me out by the bomb that exploded only one and a half meters from me on July 20, and thus to terminate my life's work. That the Almighty protected me on that day I consider a renewed affirmation of the task entrusted to me.

''I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so. '' Adolf Hitler in 1941 to General Gerhard Engel. In John Toland (1992). Adolf Hitler. New York: Anchor Publishing, p. 507.

GFY, loser.

Internet coward?

Moron.

You found some anti-religion bullshit somewhere, and post it as legit.

But thanks, for pointing our the legitimacy of the Third Commandment.

AH hid behind Christianity to advance his agenda, as many illegitimate killers have.

The fact that you choose to believe the rantings of a lunatic, over his actions, proves your stupidity beyond any redemption.

'member the 6 million jews killed by the Nazis?

Well, there was a equal number of Catholics and others killed, by the guy that was such a devout Catholic.

No surprise, that a loser like you would grip onto internet bullshit, rather than examine the actions of Adolf "Catholic" Hitler.

But, when a person's desperate ta not look like a moron, the size of the crap that they pull outta their @sshole is often surprising.

Aaah, no true Scotsman.

šŸ˜‚

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Went to another funeral yesterday, three preachers spoke at the service, three longtime sellers with well rehearsed SOP lines, felt like i was at a used car lot, sad really, even worse that so many are so gullible.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This guyā€™s an American philosopher and an atheist. He has a BA in Philosophy from Cornell University, a BPhil from the University of Oxford, and a PhD in philosophy from Harvard University. He has an interesting perspective...

ā€œIn speaking of the fear of religion, I donā€™t mean to refer to the entirely reasonable hostility toward certain established religions and religious institutions, in virtue of their objectionable moral doctrines, social policies, and political influence. Nor am I referring to the association of many religious beliefs with superstition and the acceptance of evident empirical falsehoods. I am talking about something much deeperā€“namely, the fear of religion itself. I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isnā€™t just that I donā€™t believe in God and, naturally, hope that Iā€™m right in my belief. Itā€™s that I hope there is no God! I donā€™t want there to be a God; I donā€™t want the universe to be like that.ā€ - Thomas Nagel

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
One of my dear mother's favorites

[Linked Image from st3.depositphotos.com].

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
This guyā€™s an American philosopher and an atheist. He has a BA in Philosophy from Cornell University, a BPhil from the University of Oxford, and a PhD in philosophy from Harvard University. He has an interesting perspective...

ā€œIn speaking of the fear of religion, I donā€™t mean to refer to the entirely reasonable hostility toward certain established religions and religious institutions, in virtue of their objectionable moral doctrines, social policies, and political influence. Nor am I referring to the association of many religious beliefs with superstition and the acceptance of evident empirical falsehoods. I am talking about something much deeperā€“namely, the fear of religion itself. I speak from experience, being strongly subject to this fear myself: I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isnā€™t just that I donā€™t believe in God and, naturally, hope that Iā€™m right in my belief. Itā€™s that I hope there is no God! I donā€™t want there to be a God; I donā€™t want the universe to be like that.ā€ - Thomas Nagel

Well, if you stop and actually contemplate the ideas most religions, and all the major ones have, it's pretty scary stuff.

Christianity has the whole "believe or burn" thing going on. The idea that someone who did heinous things, but then found Jesus is saved, yet someone who (possibly without even knowing who Jesus was) lives by all the "rules" in the bible but doesn't "believe" burns forever doesn't make an objective observer jump in line to worship.

It's almost as if the "it's not your actions, but your conformity" thing is about control.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by DBT
Faith is not the way to truth.
Would you kindly explain how and why that statement is truth?

Faith is a belief held without the support of evidence. Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc, etc, have faith in their own version of God or gods and theology, their own 'truth,' but logically they can't all have the truth, what they believe contradicts each other. What is being believed on faith is not necessary true and factual.
Ever read the ancient story of the blind men and the elephant??

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by JSTUART
is a real Christian.

Troll much?

Added, and just to be clear a denomination does not denote Christianity or lack thereof.

He's 100% correct. I'm not willing to do the deep dig for the statements, but they're there.
Pissed off a couple good guys enough that they left.

Last edited by NH K9; 03/21/21.

ļæ½Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.ļæ½
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Apparently when a person is desperate to not look like a moron he falls back on vitriol and denigration to bolster his dubious self worth.

Then there's no doubt you're desperate enough ta explain why a Catholic would slaughter millions of other Catholics.

Go for it, moron.

Crusades...middle ages...papacy...ring a bell?

I don't feel any need to call you names as you have already shown what you are...easy for any who read your last few posts to discern your metal.

Wasn't no Catholics murderin Catholics by the millions, in any of the bullshit examples you puked out.

You can either admit AH wasn't a Catholic, or you can continue to look like a fool.

Your choice.

4th Crusade wasn't against Muslims....

Despite their oaths and the threat of excommunication, the Crusaders systematically violated the city's holy sanctuaries, destroying or stealing all they could lay hands on; nothing was spared, not even the tombs of the emperors inside the St Apostles church.[12] The civilian population of Constantinople were subject to the Crusaders' ruthless lust for spoils and glory; thousands of them were killed in cold blood.[13] Women, including nuns, were raped by the Crusader army,[14] which also sacked churches, monasteries and convents.[13] The very altars of these churches were smashed and torn to pieces for their gold and marble by the warriors.[12] Although the Venetians engaged in looting too, their actions were far more restrained. Doge Dandolo still appeared to have far more control over his men.[citation needed] Rather than wantonly destroying all around like their comrades, the Venetians stole religious relics and works of art, which they would later take to Venice to adorn their own churches.

It was said that the total amount looted from Constantinople was about 900,000 silver marks.[15] The Venetians received 150,000 silver marks that was their due and the Crusaders received 50,000 silver marks. A further 100,000 silver marks were divided evenly between the Crusaders and Venetians. The remaining 500,000 silver marks were secretly kept back by many Crusader knights.[16][17]

Neither was the Albigensian Crusade

The Crusaders captured the small village of Servian and then headed for BĆ©ziers, arriving on July 21, 1209. Under the command of the papal legate, Arnaud Amalric,[61] they started to besiege the city, calling on the Catholics within to come out, and demanding that the Cathars surrender.[62] Neither group did as commanded. The city fell the following day when an abortive sortie was pursued back through the open gates.[63] The entire population was slaughtered and the city burned to the ground. It was reported that Amalric, when asked how to distinguish Cathars from Catholics, responded, "Kill them all! God will know his own." Historian Joseph Strayer doubts that Amalric actually said this, but maintains that the statement captures the "spirit" of the Crusaders, who killed nearly every man, woman, and child in the town.[64]

Amalric and Milo, a fellow legate, in a letter to the Pope, claimed that the Crusaders "put to the sword almost 20,000 people".[65] Strayer says that this estimate is too high, but noted that in his letter "the legate expressed no regret about the massacre, not even a word of condolence for the clergy of the cathedral who were killed in front of their own altar".[66] News of the disaster quickly spread and afterwards many settlements surrendered without a fight.[65]

A lot of Crusades occurred in Europe before the Reformation, making them effectively Catholic vs. Catholic:

There were 5 Crusades against the Hussites, plus a half dozen more against various bohemian sects.Over 200 years there was a dozen or so crusades against the Poles, Slavs, Netherlands (sound familiar) Lithuanians, Estonians, Fins, and pretty much anyone else North and east of modern Germany. In other words, the Catholic Church had an established history of crusading in the invaded by Hitler. Heck there was 10 more crusades just on the Italian peninsula, all prior to the reformation.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/21/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
Well, if you stop and actually contemplate the ideas most religions, and all the major ones have, it's pretty scary stuff.
Christianity has the whole "believe or burn" thing going on. The idea that someone who did heinous things, but then found Jesus is saved, yet someone who (possibly without even knowing who Jesus was) lives by all the "rules" in the bible but doesn't "believe" burns forever doesn't make an objective observer jump in line to worship.
It's almost as if the "it's not your actions, but your conformity" thing is about control.......
Iā€™m not a fan of organized/institutional religion. My beliefs are mine. I donā€™t need or want them to be dictated to me by anyone or anything else. Organized/institutional religion has been misused to control, monopolize, and extort the masses. As have other institutions in our history. We see it today in our government and the media.

Anyway I found it interesting that he clearly didnā€™t solely...if at all...base his atheistic position on a ā€œlack of objective evidence.ā€ His position clearly involves his ā€˜willā€™; ā€œ...I hope there is no God! I donā€™t want there to be a God...ā€. His statement of ā€œI want atheism to be true...ā€ also stands out.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good Friend Antlers, there's a HandBook on the Subject.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
is a real Christian.

Troll much?

His statement is accurate. In many of the previous religious threads Campfire Christians explicitly stated Catholics are not Christians.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good Friend Antlers, there's a HandBook on the Subject.
Yeah, I know wabi. Thereā€™s actually 27 different handbooks on the subject in the New Testament alone.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
A wackjob with a set of insane beliefs, a blend of ideology and religion, which he packaged and sold to a nation, causing untold suffering.

He sold it to a Christian nation (62.7% Protestant, 32.5% Catholics, 4.8% other, 0.8% Jewish in 1933) of willing buyers.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Wabi, Religion or no religion, I sense you are a truly good man to your core. Your brand of faith allows you to tolerate us heathens in good humor, your faith in God I respect completely. When I go on my little soapbox, none of what I say applies to you and your like minded brethern. My beef is with the militant Christians who insist, 'my way or the highway'.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Wabi, Religion or no religion, I sense you are a truly good man to your core. Your brand of faith allows you to tolerate us heathens in good humor, your faith in God I respect completely. When I go on my little soapbox, none of what I say applies to you and your like minded brethern. My beef is with the militant Christians who insist, 'my way or the highway'.

Yep.
There are many different christianities, and they are not all equal.

I
IZH27 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by CCCC
Of course, I have not read and studied it all, but so far I have seen nothing in the Holy Scriptures that charges, or even encourages, a Christian to evaluate the worthiness of another person with regard to his/her status or favor in the eyes of the Lord. How could a person possibly make such judgments about another - how could one begin to make a determination about any elevation of his/her status or worthiness over another person with regard to the living of the Christian life? Do I recall something like "judge not - - -" All such sorting is the realm of the Lord.

That said, it is not difficult to find instances where the faithless, or doubters, or waverers, or professed non-believers feel that they are being viewed or labeled at some lesser level when engaged in discussions or even arguments about Christian elements - especially factors over which humans have no control. Often it is difficult to sort this out - to determine whether or not those injurious perceptions or feelings emanate from personal guilt or assumption of inferiority - rather than from any actual judgment or labeling by others.

Often it is not an easy task for most Christians to convey or relate to others God's expressed expectations, regardless of the sincerity with which it is done. The task seems to become even more difficult if the Christian could be seen as hypocritical, pompous, etc. Add to that the defensive, or guilty, or victimized posture of some non-Christians and the challenge increases.

I never read where God says it will be an easy process - for either.

I can't disagree with your observations. There is a plague within the thinking of Modern Evangelicals and Fundamentalists in general that they are intrinsically or at least through cooperation with God becoming more Holy. This projection has been commonplace over the years that I've been reading religious discussions here.

A lot of posts here imply a level of self righteousness in the posters. If a human becomes righteous in the sight of God through his own efforts it's only reasonable for the people projecting that view to share their progress and tell us specifically what they have done and how they accomplished their claim.

Page 10 of 27 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (5sdad, 673, 300_savage, 1minute, 35WhelenNut, 6mmCreedmoor, 14 invisible), 1,604 guests, and 967 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,863
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.