Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 27 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 26 27
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Id be glad to see you bring some over to the saved side, Hastings. Especially that Antelope Sniper. He seems like a pretty sharp guy.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Google "dictionary" then type in "faith"
mauserand9mm, thanks, however I did not ask for a definition - seems like I learned that a long time ago. (copied one below for you). For clarity, I asked the poster to provide "proof" of his statement about the way to truth. Have you seen that yet?
Definition of faith
1a : allegiance to duty or a person : b(1) : fidelity to one's promises
(2) : sincerity of intentions 2a(1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b(1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof clinging to the faith that her missing son would one day return (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction especially : a system of religious beliefs the Protestant faith on faith: without question took everything he said on faith
faith verb faithed; faithing; faiths transitive verb archaic: believe, trust
"firm belief in something for which there is no proof" seems a lot like "...a belief held without the support of evidence."So, DBT uses a valid definition of faith, and clarified which one he intended, but somehow you are still arguing this is a valid pathway to truth, or are you arguing for a different definition of faith as a pathway to truth?
I appreciated his post, and I have not argued anything about a definition. If you think I have, please quote my argument. I assume you understand that an ostensible disagreement does not constitute an argument - or, are you looking for one?

CCCC,
It's those darn definitions getting in our way again. To be clear, by argument ment:

2.a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

I did NOT mean:

1.an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.

Especially the "heated or angry" part. I'll leave the "heated or angry" to Doc. I see no reason you and I cannot maintain our typical collegiate spirit to our discussion.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
….Thanks for providing the way you see it - although the rationale for your differentiation seems overstated and possibly inconsiderate to a degree. Disagreements of this particular nature seem unsolvable by humans, particularly when they become overtly adamant - which was the driver for my original question to that poster.
So which planet do you originate from? The planet delusion from the galaxy avoidance? You're way overcomplicating this - is this deliberate or from a parable-addled mind?
Do you Aussies always start out by deriding someone who does not accept your total view - most I've met in the past have not been that way. It seem difficult to over complicate a very complicated matter. Let's see how the rational part of your mind works. Sans Divine guidance or intervention, do you not think that the experienced human views on the importance and power of faith are quite diverse, and complicated? Do you see the varied human beliefs about faith being easily resolvable into one coherent view? If so, how? If you engage someone who does not flatly accept you rationale - or someone else's rationale - regarding "the" path to truth, do you immediately label them "parable-addled"? If my dictionary were to define you as a bigot, would that be proof that you are a bigot? In my book, a human definition of something such a faith is not a proof - it is an attempt.

Faith complicates everything, because it lacks substance, so it's a case of anything goes, that's why there are the multitudes of religious beliefs and disparity within the clans. Faith came about from a way to understand the world and to try and justify why things happened. It looks like the rules were modified over time to try and cover all bases and scenarios, resulting in particular in the contradicting fairy tale that they call the bible. If your faith works for you, then well and good. Don't come crying to the non-believers and say it's all too complicated. We accept that we don't have all the answers but certainly have no reason to adopt any faith due to all the falsehoods contained within them - we don't share in the fear propaganda either. We don't believe lies.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 03/21/21.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

# Faith complicates everything, because it lacks substance, so it's a case of anything goes, ..

# Don't come crying to the non-believers and say it's all too complicated. .

If one is raised on convoluted tales of antiquity
it can be difficult to break free from the tangled
web of nonsense...many find it easier to stay
there and get offended when they look stupid.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
One, like me, that has never learned, been taught, or possibly "stooped" to the depths of worshiping, begging, relying on not one mother fu-king thing on this earth or anywhere else simply requires PROOF.

I happen to be married to the most beautiful vagina in the world, would i die protecting her? you bet, do i worship or have ever begged to her for any damn thing? fu-k no, and will never, i think religious are mostly brow beaten easily lead men that stayed WAAYYY to fu-king long on mamas titties, hope the fu-k none bathe with mama either!

"general weakness in males causes the need to join a group/congregation," and that came from a lab coat guy a hell of a lot smarter than me, which isn't saying much.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by jaguartx
Id be glad to see you bring some over to the saved side, Hastings. Especially that Antelope Sniper. He seems like a pretty sharp guy.

After reading these 300+ replies I can understand someone being leery of Jesus' "friends".

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by IZH27
This is aimed at those who name the name of Christ as important and integral to their life.

If your view of others in relation to your view of God and yourself cause you to view non-believers or those of another religion in such a way that you dehumanize them, see them in a lesser way than you view yourself, your view of God and yourself is in need of a catastrophic immediate evaluation.

I would agree that your assertion applies equally across the board....believers, non-believers, black, white, Asian, atheists, etc ad nauseum. Looking down on others as less than human would not be something that I see Christ doing or wanting us to do.

Enemies are a different matter. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place.

I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt!

How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

[/quote]
"firm belief in something for which there is no proof" seems a lot like "...a belief held without the support of evidence."
So, DBT uses a valid definition of faith, and clarified which one he intended, but somehow you are still arguing this is a valid pathway to truth, or are you arguing for a different definition of faith as a pathway to truth?

[/quote]

DBT uses only a "dictionary" type definition of faith. He also does not understand or refuses to see that faith is a gift.... of God... from God.... There is no doubt once God gives the gift.

The Bible's take on faith.... and where it comes from .....is very different from DBT's view....

Seek God....with an honest heart, and God will be found. Then God and the man will have an interaction... then the man is never the same.

Don't seek God.....? Want to live your life without Him? Ok, that is your choice.

Nope, not a threat, just a warning...

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Faith is not the way to truth.
Would you kindly explain how and why that statement is truth?

Faith is a belief held without the support of evidence. Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc, etc, have faith in their own version of God or gods and theology, their own 'truth,' but logically they can't all have the truth, what they believe contradicts each other. What is being believed on faith is not necessary true and factual.
Ever read the ancient story of the blind men and the elephant??

Ever heard of logical contradictions?....where if one claim is true the opposite cannot be true. Brahman in Hinduism is not the same as Yahweh as described in the bible. If one is true, the other must be false...or both are false. Both cannot be true.

IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Faith is not the way to truth.
Would you kindly explain how and why that statement is truth?
Faith is a belief held without the support of evidence. Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, etc, etc, have faith in their own version of God or gods and theology, their own 'truth,' but logically they can't all have the truth, what they believe contradicts each other. What is being believed on faith is not necessary true and factual.
Your response is understandable and accurate to some degree - however, you have provided nothing that proves, or even demonstrates, truth in your original statement. It is neither simple, nor easy.

It is basic logic.

If something is believed without the support of evidence, it is called faith. In common usage, faith is used as a blanket term in reference to good will/in good faith, confidence, trust, etc....but this does not negate faith in the context of a conviction without the support of evidence, be it religious belief, ideology, politics, etc.

If you hold a belief without the support of evidence, your belief is held on the basis of faith. Simple as that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Google "dictionary" then type in "faith"
mauserand9mm, thanks, however I did not ask for a definition - seems like I learned that a long time ago. (copied one below for you). For clarity, I asked the poster to provide "proof" of his statement about the way to truth. Have you seen that yet?
Definition of faith
1a : allegiance to duty or a person : b(1) : fidelity to one's promises
(2) : sincerity of intentions 2a(1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God
(2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b(1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof clinging to the faith that her missing son would one day return (2) : complete trust
3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction especially : a system of religious beliefs the Protestant faith on faith: without question took everything he said on faith
faith verb faithed; faithing; faiths transitive verb archaic: believe, trust
"firm belief in something for which there is no proof" seems a lot like "...a belief held without the support of evidence."So, DBT uses a valid definition of faith, and clarified which one he intended, but somehow you are still arguing this is a valid pathway to truth, or are you arguing for a different definition of faith as a pathway to truth?
I appreciated his post, and I have not argued anything about a definition. If you think I have, please quote my argument. I assume you understand that an ostensible disagreement does not constitute an argument - or, are you looking for one?

CCCC,
It's those darn definitions getting in our way again. To be clear, by argument ment:

2.a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

I did NOT mean:

1.an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.

Especially the "heated or angry" part. I'll leave the "heated or angry" to Doc. I see no reason you and I cannot maintain our typical collegiate spirit to our discussion.

All good.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
….Thanks for providing the way you see it - although the rationale for your differentiation seems overstated and possibly inconsiderate to a degree. Disagreements of this particular nature seem unsolvable by humans, particularly when they become overtly adamant - which was the driver for my original question to that poster.
So which planet do you originate from? The planet delusion from the galaxy avoidance? You're way overcomplicating this - is this deliberate or from a parable-addled mind?
Do you Aussies always start out by deriding someone who does not accept your total view - most I've met in the past have not been that way. It seem difficult to over complicate a very complicated matter. Let's see how the rational part of your mind works. Sans Divine guidance or intervention, do you not think that the experienced human views on the importance and power of faith are quite diverse, and complicated? Do you see the varied human beliefs about faith being easily resolvable into one coherent view? If so, how? If you engage someone who does not flatly accept you rationale - or someone else's rationale - regarding "the" path to truth, do you immediately label them "parable-addled"? If my dictionary were to define you as a bigot, would that be proof that you are a bigot? In my book, a human definition of something such a faith is not a proof - it is an attempt.

Faith complicates everything, because it lacks substance, so it's a case of anything goes, that's why there are the multitudes of religious beliefs and disparity within the clans. Faith came about from a way to understand the world and to try and justify why things happened. It looks like the rules were modified over time to try and cover all bases and scenarios, resulting in particular in the contradicting fairy tale that they call the bible. If your faith works for you, then well and good. Don't come crying to the non-believers and say it's all too complicated. We accept that we don't have all the answers but certainly have no reason to adopt any faith due to all the falsehoods contained within them - we don't share in the fear propaganda either. We don't believe lies.
Your mini-lecture about faith seems coherent, and certainly not unique to such discussions, but I see that you did not answer my inquiries. You seem to miss the point - or, maybe wish to portray a non-existent situation.
Have you read from my first post in this thread? It was a request that a poster offer proof for his/her assertion about the path to truth. I made no argument. Further, you had might as well not try to bait someone such as me with " Don't come crying to the non-believers " because, try as you might, you will not find an iota of that in my posts. I do not think of people as being "non-believers" and I certainly do not try to convince folks to "believe". Period. That is their business and they can try to justify it in any way they wish. If you think you saw that, or what you call "crying", kindly re-post it here and I will deal with it. Please note that you open your first line here citing the complication factor. I speak only for myself. For whom do you speak when you say "We"?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Your mini-lecture about faith seems coherent, and certainly not unique to such discussions, but I see that you did not answer my inquiries. You seem to miss the point - or, maybe wish to portray a non-existent situation.
Have you read from my first post in this thread? It was a request that a poster offer proof for his/her assertion about the path to truth. I made no argument. Further, you had might as well not try to bait someone such as me with " Don't come crying to the non-believers " because, try as you might, you will not find an iota of that in my posts. I do not think of people as being "non-believers" and I certainly do not try to convince folks to "believe". Period. That is their business and they can try to justify it in any way they wish. If you think you saw that, or what you call "crying", kindly re-post it here and I will deal with it. Please note that you open your first line here citing the complication factor. I speak only for myself. For whom do you speak when you say "We"?

DBT provided a logical assertion. He gave you a fact and you questioned it (because you didn't like that it threatened your faith, or ownership of it, maybe?) and it went on from there. Your questions are like a kid having a tantrum to get some response that they are in need of.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
. I do not think of people as being "non-believers"

You think of some as believers of the faith,
but don't differentiate others as non-believers?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DBT provided a logical assertion. He gave you a fact and you questioned it (because you didn't like that it threatened your faith, or ownership of it, maybe?) and it went on from there. Your questions are like a kid having a tantrum to get some response that they are in need of.
DBT did provide an assertion, and no doubt he believed it to be logical. I did not question it at all - I simply asked him for his proof basis. Now, kindly quote the "fact" he gave, to which you refer. A fact now, not a belief or assertion.

By now you might realize that your derogatory speculation about why I would question something amounts to mere hot air - a useless dig to go along with your puerile analogy. Why do proclaimed self-assured folks feel the need to stoop to ad hominem attacks if they are so sure of themselves. Get this: I do not need any response of any type from you or DBT- you could have shut up some time ago and that would have been fine with me. But, for as long as you persist, I may retort just for the exercise. I simply think it good to challenge some of the flimsy things offered up in threads like this. Asking you to justify something on factual grounds does not at all indicate what you speculate to be a need or a tantrum - but it could indicate curiosity and learning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
. I do not think of people as being "non-believers"
You think of some as believers of the faith,but don't differentiate others as non-believers?
Starbucks - are you back again - and still trying to tell me what I think? Repeated failures - doesn't that make you weary? "Believers" must be your term. It's not mine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Believers" must be your term. It's not mine.

Are you being honest about that?

02/19/21
... I do understand the contextual aspect with regard to Christians being "caught up" (Latin term 'Rapere,' meaning ''to catch up.' ) but have not thought about the promise of Christ's return and the aftermath in any terms other than those applied to the individual believer. To that, I have a ticket.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

DBT did provide an assertion, and no doubt he believed it to be logical. I did not question it at all - I simply asked him for his proof basis. Now, kindly quote the "fact" he gave, to which you refer. A fact now, not a belief or assertion.

By now you might realize that your derogatory speculation about why I would question something amounts to mere hot air - a useless dig to go along with your puerile analogy. Why do proclaimed self-assured folks feel the need to stoop to ad hominem attacks if they are so sure of themselves. Get this: I do not need any response of any type from you or DBT- you could have shut up some time ago and that would have been fine with me. But, for as long as you persist, I may retort just for the exercise. I simply think it good to challenge some of the flimsy things offered up in threads like this. Asking you to justify something on factual grounds does not at all indicate what you speculate to be a need or a tantrum - but it could indicate curiosity and learning.

It wasn't an assertion. People do happen to believe in things without the support of evidence. It happens. There are countless examples of this, in religion, ideology, politics, etc.

Something that is believed to be true without the support of evidence is called faith.

That is not an unfounded assertion or claim, just an observation, basic logic and semantics.

Page 16 of 27 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 47 invisible), 2,189 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,267
Posts18,504,924
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.