Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 27 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 26 27
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The most important "Thing", is The Cross.

Nothing "in it", for Jesus, except to pay for the sins of all of us.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by antlers
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Was simply looking for truth, honesty, 'REAL' and proof, Sir, but realizing i had never learned to yield [kneel/beg/worship] i let it go, dont want to be a fake/hypocrite in anything i do, the fighting/hypocrisy here amongst "the believers" didn't help the possible explorative journey either, it's all good though i'll just continue to live to be a good husband, neighbor, son and friend, full well remembering the road to hell is paved with good intentions, we shall see someday.

I've tried to raise that point here several times in the past.
"It's your choice" is a phrase that many are fond of using when confronting those who don't believe the way they do. Its an obviously false statement, and easily provable to be so, but it gets brought out time and again anyway.

Ok, I’ll bite.....

Why is it not a “choice” to ponder and pursue God...... or not?

Why is it not a choice to reject God.... or in context with this thread, to reject Jesus?

Pondering may be a choice. If your pondering leads you to a place where you are convinced that you have found the truth, you will beleive. On the other hand, if you find it all sounds absurd to you, and doesn't ring true, you won't beleive.

I could probably read and study Scientology for as long as I could bear it and not become a believer. Its simply too absurd and nonsensical for my mind to accept, I have no choice in that matter. Others, obviously, have a very different experience, and I have to assume its the same for them.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Was simply looking for truth, honesty, 'REAL' and proof, Sir, but realizing i had never learned to yield [kneel/beg/worship] i let it go, dont want to be a fake/hypocrite in anything i do, the fighting/hypocrisy here amongst "the believers" didn't help the possible explorative journey either, it's all good though i'll just continue to live to be a good husband, neighbor, son and friend, full well remembering the road to hell is paved with good intentions, we shall see someday.

"It's your choice" is a phrase that many are fond of using when confronting those who don't believe the way they do. Its an obviously false statement, and easily provable to be so, but it gets brought out time and again anyway.

Ok, I’ll bite.....

Why is it not a choice to reject God.... or in context with this thread, to reject Jesus?

Pondering may be a choice. If your pondering leads you to a place where you are convinced that you have found the truth, you will beleive. On the other hand, if you find it all sounds absurd to you, and doesn't ring true, you won't beleive.

I could probably read and study Scientology for as long as I could bear it and not become a believer. Its simply too absurd and nonsensical for my mind to accept, I have no choice in that matter. Others, obviously, have a very different experience, and I have to assume its the same for them.

Bingo. Very well written.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Ok, I’ll bite.....

I mostly agree..... but if “if it all sounds absurd.... you won’t believe.” Would it not be a “choice” to deem the “study” to be insufficient?

If the fruits of one’s “study” are deemed “insufficient” ....or leads to something being deemed “absurd”..... is that consequence the fault of what is studied..... or that the “student” somehow failed in his pursuit?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by DBT
Ever heard of logical contradictions?....where if one claim is true the opposite cannot be true. Brahman in Hinduism is not the same as Yahweh as described in the bible. If one is true, the other must be false...or both are false. Both cannot be true.
Maybe all of them have a lot of truth in them and were pretty similar to begin with. Truth that has been obscured by those that amend the original and sell their version to control, maintain societal stratification, and last but not least cash in and live as a parasite on the masses. I know Hindus and Moslems that accept the teachings of Jesus which is more than several books of the New Testament do in ascribing teachings to Jesus that he never uttered and in fact contradicted. If an atheist reads this long thread and decides to remain an atheist, I understand.

The truth is that the human mind seeks answers...and sometimes fills gaps with imaginative stories when there are no answers.

The truth is, we don't have the answers on how the universe came about, or if it, it may be cyclic or whatever. We don't know, we are in the dark.

Our big list of gods are our attempts at explaining the inexplicable. They all differ enough to be incompatible, Zeus is not Yahweh in disguise, the Rainbow Serpent is not Allah....

Not sure what others think, and I certainly don't understand it all myself, but their may be some merit in Julian Jaynes idea around breakdown of the bicameral mind - where we developed introspective consciousness by a better (?) connection of the function of our brain halves. Before this happened one half of the mind delivered information to the other half that made it appear as coming from another source (ie divine?). Churches and temples with idols and images were used to initiate or enhance the divine sensation.

The breakdown of separation, or connection, was made through the pressure of increasing civilisation group sizes and the complexities of interactions, as is a learned change rather than anything physical - having language also helped pave the way. At this time there was also a perceived abandonment by the gods when the divine went away.

Schizophrenia occurs when these 2 minds separate and maybe somewhat of a legacy from our earlier development.

Could be something to it.

IC B2

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon

If only we knew what actually happened.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

Ok, I’ll bite.....

I mostly agree..... but if “if it all sounds absurd.... you won’t believe.” Would it not be a “choice” to deem the “study” to be insufficient?

If the fruits of one’s “study” are deemed “insufficient” ....or leads to something being deemed “absurd”..... is that consequence the fault of what is studied..... or that the “student” somehow failed in his pursuit?

No one has infinite time, energy or interest to study things we find to be absurd. If I study the greek Gods or maybe the gods of Hinduism, I'm sure I could probably dedicate years trying to learn all there is to know. At the end of it all, I'd know alot about those religions but I still doubt I'd believe in an elephant god or Zeuss. If something seems nonsensical to you, I don't think you find yourself inclined to make a more serious study of it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
As DBT said "If we only knew what actually happened". I would love to be able to see a real time video of what all went on in Jerusalem that week. Jesus rode in a hero on a borrowed donkey and was greeted befitting a hero. He went to the temple to clear out the franchise holders who were shaking down the pilgrims and you can be sure that was a bloody battle with tables turned over stiff resistance from the "merchants" and their temple official sponsors. I am thinking the very short redacted version in the gospels didn't portray what may well have been a full scale riot type of rebellion causing Pilate to brutally put it down with the army. Then we have the strange trial of Jesus where he pleads basically no contest and the judge initially gives a directed verdict of acquittal but then allows the prisoner executed. Pilate desperately wanted to get those Passover Jews out of town and resume normalcy. Pilate obviously understood the motives of the Jewish leadership in wanting Jesus dead. Maybe in the next life we will get to watch the replay of their secret meetings and plotting. I would like to see what went on with Judas' meetings where he first ratted out Jesus and then repented and at the next meeting threw the money down and went out so distraught that he hanged himself.

Last edited by Hastings; 03/22/21. Reason: added word

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have a leg up, when we love/respect one another.

To passphrase tinny Tim, "May God Bless us one, and all."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Ok, I’ll bite.....

No one has infinite time, energy or interest to study things we find to be absurd. If I study the greek Gods or maybe the gods of Hinduism, I'm sure I could probably dedicate years trying to learn all there is to know. At the end of it all, I'd know alot about those religions but I still doubt I'd believe in an elephant god or Zeuss. If something seems nonsensical to you, I don't think you find yourself inclined to make a more serious study of it.

Sure, I could give consideration to the idea that Haile Selassie was God Incarnate. It would take me a very short period of time to discard that idea as "absurd." But, the point is..... a choice was indeed made.... I discarded the Haile Selassie notion.

It is also absurd to propose that one study every crackpot idea that comes down the pike. Choices are made and absurdities are discarded.

However, the question of ...God? Would remain.....

God promises that those who seek Him .... honest seekers.........will find Him.

Do not be misled by blind guides..... truth matters and choices are being made.

All men need to remain clearheaded, ponder eternity and be aware that there is true truth: God.”

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon

^^^^^^^TRUTH. ^^^^^^^

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
..He went to the temple to clear out the franchise holders who were shaking down the pilgrims and you can be sure that was a bloody battle with tables turned over stiff resistance from the "merchants" and their temple official sponsors. I am thinking the very short redacted version in the gospels didn't portray what may well have been a full scale riot type of rebellion causing Pilate to brutally put it down with the army...

The temple courts holding the merchants are not
a small area , to think a Jesus could enter and widely
disrupt the place in such manner for such length
of time without temple guards intervening sounds
like a bullch*t story.

Then we have the strange trial of Jesus where he pleads basically no contest and the judge initially gives a directed verdict of acquittal but then allows the prisoner executed. .

Blasphemy as put forward by the Sanhedrin council
was not recognized in Roman law , so how can one
be put on trial for such in the Roman system?

Pilate could find no cause to prosecute Jesus under
Roman law. but as governor had the discretionary
power to permit the Jews to decide what to do
with him...ultimately Sanhedrin required Romans
to carry out execution for only Rome had authority
to conduct capital punishment in the province.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, I’ll bite..... Why is it not a “choice” to ponder and pursue God...... or not? Why is it not a choice to reject God.... or in context with this thread, to reject Jesus?
TF49, you are not biting on anything unfamiliar to normal human experience. The "choices" you note are most real and common to most of humankind, and have been occurring all day, every day. for a long, long time. It simply does not become conversational currency because most folks do it internally - infrequently through interaction with others. The "choices" seem to become conversational primarily under certain circumstances.

Some persons feel called to create such circumstances - to preach, to call out, to post provocative messages or chunks of Scripture, to challenge or advise others, etc. Others simply look for opportunities to be supportive and helpful for folks who may be searching toward, or researching, such choices. Others will share or express their thoughts and recommendations only if directly asked. Some good people will never engage such issues with another.

Then too, some people seem to disdain the very existence, or at least the idea, of any such choices. They may act as if supremely knowledgeable, challenge the choices and beliefs of others, create diversions, you name it. Humans are diverse - thus the differences.

However, we do seem to have some important commonalities in the core. And, with some, the reaching and making of such a monumental choice will prompt significant changes of belief and behavior - changes that can be huge.

This is just a tiny slice of singular human experience.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We can't just switch belief on or off at will. Conviction is a process by which we come to accept or reject propositions, teachings, claims or whatever.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
One exercise I saw named by Eric Weinstein (I could be wrong and am open to correction on that) is “steel-manning” as a verb.

We all know what a straw man argument is; one poses the weakest available case for an opponents’ position and tears it to shreds. The steel man exercise is just the opposite; one attempts to verbalize the best argument his opponent has... and keeps attempting until his opponent admits he has characterized the position in a satisfactory light.

Whatever neuroscientists may hypothesize about the mechanics of decision making, the exercise described above seems to me to offer a way to intelligently converse with people of differing opinions.

Of course to do so one must set aside the prevailing sentiment of deconstructionism so rife in our society which tears every “old” idea down as a mere power grab by those who seek to manipulate the masses and embrace the possibility that there is ultimate truth somewhere. Additionally one must have the courage of intellect to recognize the old adage that it is possible to engage in and consider an idea seriously without subscribing to it.

Again, sorry to the OP for the “off topic” post.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by efw
One exercise I saw named by Eric Weinstein (I could be wrong and am open to correction on that) is “steel-manning” as a verb.

We all know what a straw man argument is; one poses the weakest available case for an opponents’ position and tears it to shreds. The steel man exercise is just the opposite; one attempts to verbalize the best argument his opponent has... and keeps attempting until his opponent admits he has characterized the position in a satisfactory light.

Whatever neuroscientists may hypothesize about the mechanics of decision making, the exercise described above seems to me to offer a way to intelligently converse with people of differing opinions.

Of course to do so one must set aside the prevailing sentiment of deconstructionism so rife in our society which tears every “old” idea down as a mere power grab by those who seek to manipulate the masses and embrace the possibility that there is ultimate truth somewhere. Additionally one must have the courage of intellect to recognize the old adage that it is possible to engage in and consider an idea seriously without subscribing to it.

Again, sorry to the OP for the “off topic” post.

Hmm.... three good and relevant posts in a row..... good sign!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There’s been a big migration away from from Christianity in this country...especially the organized/institutional aspect of it. And it’s not because they find atheism so appealing, it’s because they find Christianity so unappealing. And certainly much of it ‘is’ the church’s fault. The reason that many people have disengaged from it, as I see it, is not because of the message...it’s because of the messengers. At the end of the day, the reason that many find it so unappealing, and so unscientific, and so irrational...is because of the messengers. The general public that Jesus interacted with...who were nothing like Him, liked Him, and He liked them back. If Christianity isn’t compelling or attractive nowadays, is it possible that much of it is because we don’t practice the same ‘version’ of it nowadays that He practiced Himself...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Narrow is the gate........

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I like the disengenuous posts from guys who are turned from believing in GOD because a believer posted some scripture on the Fire saying believers cram their beliefs on them, as if they had been planning on getting out of bed some Sunday AM, getting cleaned up, dressing up, warming the truck and driving to some Church somewhere to hear the words from a preacher.

Hahaha. TFF.

As if they had no choice in deciding to click on the thread in the first place. Man, i hate having to carry that guilt trip.

HE was right. There is power in the Word. It convicts. I feel soory for the misery they have when driving by a church. Of course, they can do that without having to look at it, and i will guarantee you many look away when they drive by one.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/23/21.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 19 of 27 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,135
Posts18,502,708
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.