Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
You have a death trap on your property and you know it. If the unthinkable happens you will have no legal defense.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having spent 36 years in the well business I have seen some sight. Old hand dug welsl are full of contaminates. In the decades of working on wells and cisterns I have only seen one that did not have something dead in it. Make it go away. Water would be unfit for human consumption. The open well also contaminates adjoining wells. If you were going to try and save it, Get a Duerr gravel guard screen for the bottom 5 feet and solid pipe to the surface. Place in the well and backfill with 3"+ washed rock to within 5' of the surface, then 6" of bentonite on top of the rock and fill to top with native soil. All this done after all the dead critters are removed.

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 03/23/21.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

If the old open well was on my property I'd fill in with riff-raff rock and sand up to within a few feet from the top and then fill it to the top with dirt.

When we lived out in the country the field behind our place had two such old wells. One had a cover of old rotting wood over it, the other was open and had no cover. The open well with no top had slick moss covered cobble stone walls and had been there so long the surrounding dirt at the top had created a sort of funnel about 6' feet across. When crops were planted there was no way to tell exactly where it was.

A big pecan tree grew near it and one day after crops had been harvested my wife, son and I walked back there to pick up pecans. Neighbor's little Beagle was running loose and tagged along behind us. Beagle got too close to slick "funnel" around well and down the hole it went. Luckily we had had a good bit of rain that Fall and the well had filled with water pretty close to the top but still It was all I could do to lay down flat on my stomach, and was just barely able to reach and grab the dog by the scruff of the neck as it whined and swam in circles and sling it up back on top again.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Put a stick of well casing in the middle, fill with several yards of gravel, and dirt the rest of the way. Cap the casing for future use.
Plant garden in low area...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You better just hope there's not a wellwalker in there.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would fish it with a magnet first and recover all the muskets and cannon balls, then fill that death trap in with rocks and dirt.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you ever had the water tested? Good stout cover would be the way i would go

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
stock it with some catfish.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A well just sitting there.....I'd have to case it and then start pushing it with a dozer. Take about 10 minutes and it's no longer an issue.....and you have a casing to work up some irrigation if you need it.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fill or fence.

Yup.
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by shaman
Additional info: The current cover is 10 feet across. It's a big hole, although I can't say for sure.

Holy Crap. That thing will eat cows and deer.

I would hire or rent a front end loader/excavator and fill that in post haste. I can not imagine the tragedy if a kid or drunk adult stumbled across that and fell through.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I still say find a big spool from the power company.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fill it, fence it, or cap it. Whatever your budget allows; it don't take a committee.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I would put in a four foot casing, fill around it, and put on a cover. I have filled in some old cellars and a shallow (part-time) well on our place, just in the interest of safety. We have a campground and can't risk a kid falling in a hole. GD

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

How many lawyers and liberals will it hold? Sounds like a money maker to me. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
I'd have it filled[after putting a pipe in].

That was my thought upon seeing shaman's post about using the surrounding clay and using a pipe in the future if he needed it.

Why not dump a truckload of gravel/sand or similar in there around a pipe already to get, then fill with the clay. Of course, it rains back there. No way in hell I'm completely giving up a source of water on my land out here.

Good luck with it shaman, but make that thing safe before you "lose the farm".

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Do you want to drink water from a well that animals have been falling in for 80 years?.. fill it in if you need water go a ways off and drill a proper well ,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I filled one in with torn off roofing shingles.

Tires and old wurshing mo-chines.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
Can you get a big-ass spool from the power company?

Good idea.
That doubles as a 360° sign, can be free, but downside will rot. St least it buys time and should be impossible to move with four mining bolts.

I would start by seeing how big a sheet of galvanized and baked corregated metal roofing is available.
I've covered septic tanks with multiple layers, covered with soil and run riding mowers over them for a decade with no problems. Of course, YMMV.

As valuable as wells are, Im going with keeping it and considering it for back up or future off grid option.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 03/23/21.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.