Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
NightForce 2.5-10x 42, MOAR, DigAllum, Zero Stop
NightForce 2.5-10x 42, MIL, DigAllum, Zero Stop

Just bought my first true long range scopes. I have talked about it & asked many questions here over the last four years or so.

Went to the range yesterday to sight in the MOAR @ 100 yards. I called Nightforce and discussed the starting point for elevation but did not even consider asking about the windage starting point. So, I simply started on the zero it was on when it came outta the box. Got it sighted in fine, set the Zero Stop on the elevation turret. Then I, in my shallow novice mind, popped the cap on the windage to do the same & then realized it did not have a zero-stop.

At this point, please entertain my ignorance. How am I to maintain my windage zero once I ever begin to turn that turret afield? Is it as simple a matter as recording its current zero setting & remembering where it is? Zero windage at 100 yds is currently at 2.0 on its index. Remembering things I did fails to come to mind at a recall attempt happens more often than not.

This all being my first attempt I will need more practice obviously. But, I'm looking for as much input as possible.

Last edited by Reloder28; 03/27/21.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Download instructions if you do not have the booklet.

I don't have that Nightforce but there should be set screws to loosen and then lift and turn the turret to return to zero. Tighten the set screws and you will now start at zero. That is how most work.

An older method on non turret scopes has a rotating base that aligns to zero.

You don't have a zero stop on windage because you need left / right adjustability. Learn to use your hash marks.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
You don't have a zero stop on windage because you need left / right adjustability. Learn to use your hash marks.

Good advice. Thanks

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
There is no zero stop on windage. You're supposed to just loosen and set the turret to "0" after sighting in. Usually when dialing wind I'm within 0-3 minutes from starting point, so you don't get lost. It's all within first rotation. Not so with an elevation turret where you are usually past a full turn at 1000 yards plus (depending on cartridge.)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
When I got the LRHS's sighted in, I haven't touched the windage dial since. Don't plan to unless sighting in a different load.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You have a rotating KNOB.....and a BARREL! THE BARREL is the cylindrical tube that the KNOB sits atop! If the KNOB is rotated all the way down to bottom out.......look closely and inscribed on the BARREL you'll find horizontal lines etched into the BARREL!! That will be your foundation for establishing a zero point!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
As mentioned, you will as a rule not need a full turn of the dial for windage.
And if its so windy that you do, best to pack up and go someplace else.
As for zero stops, they arent really necessary if you pay attention and know where the dial should be for your zero.
But you can always count the clicks to the bottom of the elevation adjustment, then mark it down for future reference.
Like on a pc of masking tape on the scope tube.
Something like ( 0 = 28 up.
Worked well back in the dark ages before zero stops, and you know what? it still does.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Zero stop prevents the dial from being turned one way or the other. Do you want to give up the ability to dial left or the ability to dial right?

Regarding the MOA version, You've got 1MOA designators on the horizontal out to 20MOA.

Secondly, you've got 1/4MOA increments up to 10MOA inscribed on the dial in either direction.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm up to speed now. Thanks for all the input.

Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (Anaconda, 308ld, 35, BamBam, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,887 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,740
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.