-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like your priorities tend toward more defensive capability over absolute lightest weight and concealability.

A 6 shot .38 Special with a barrel length between 2 1/2 to 4 inches is the sweet spot. Several fit the bill - Smith Model 10, 64, 15 or 65 - 4" is the standard in each of those and are easy to find. To reduce size for concealment a round butt with a BK grip adapter might be helpful. A .357 K-frame would work just as well but I'd still carry .38 or .38 +P level loads if it was 2 1/2" or 3". The slight velocity gain isn't worth the cost in recoil which makes repeat shots more difficult.

A good Ruger Security or Speed Six with 2 3/4" or 4" barrel shouldn't be overlooked as well.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 45_100
My EDC is a Cimarron Lightning in 38 special with 3 1/2" barrel. Not ideal I know because it is single action. But it is a smaller frame than the full size Colt or Ruger. The main reason I carry it is because I have to deal deal with injured livestock from time to time. I think it is adequate to deal with deranged people if necessary. I carry it in a modified Galco SAO holster which can be carried strong side or cross draw. My second choice is just what you described. With a fixed blade knife, chaps, a rope and handgun it starts to add up.

The original Colt Lightning was double action. Why is yours only single action?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
3" SP101 in 357mag

this

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Smith and Wesson model 65 LadySmith 3” 357 magnum. Backed up by a S&W model 49 or 640.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie
3" SP101 in 357mag

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^

IC B2

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For all those suggesting 5-shot J Frames, I appreciate your input, but is that really the gun you want for a gunfight? It's a serious question, not a criticism. Size and weight aren't going to be the deal breaker here for me (within reason--I'm probably not going to opt for an N Frame with a 8 3/8" barrel).

If somebody was waiting for me in the parking lot and the fight was on, I'm thinking I'd want a real rear sight--not just a notch, and bit more grip than the typical 2 finger. How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker.

Thanks!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My truck gun is a colt trooper 4 in

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Like many here, I could be happy with either a 3" SP101 or Model 60. Left to my own devices, though, I would more than likely opt for a Smith 325.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These are the only revolvers I keep loaded:

Colt Cobra 38sp Aluminum 6 shot
S&W 642-2 Airweight 38sp+P hammerless 5 shot
S&W 640-1 Stainless 357 mag hammerless 5 shot

I am in a city of 25,000 with no gunfights in the 100 year history. A cop did shoot a dog, wounding it. A cop did shoot a bank robber in the hip. Some unknown person shot a deer with a pellet gun.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Model 66, see no need to go further.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I often carry revolvers by choice. I shoot them well, can reload quickly, and have confidence in their payload. Some in the carry rotation are a .38 Special snub Model 442, a three inch Model 65, a three inch Model 60, a 4 inch Model 19, those three in .357 Magnum. I also carry, from time to time. revolvers in .44 magnum and .45 Colt.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 03/28/21.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders
For all those suggesting 5-shot J Frames, I appreciate your input, but is that really the gun you want for a gunfight? It's a serious question, not a criticism. Size and weight aren't going to be the deal breaker here for me (within reason--I'm probably not going to opt for an N Frame with a 8 3/8" barrel).

If somebody was waiting for me in the parking lot and the fight was on, I'm thinking I'd want a real rear sight--not just a notch, and bit more grip than the typical 2 finger. How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker.

Thanks!

A standard old school police sidearm should fit the bill nicely, meaning a Smith Model 15 is your huckleberry since you want good sights. I have no empirical data but have heard through the grapevine that more than a few police officers so armed came out on top in a gunfight against a determined adversary. The Ruger Security Six 4" would also be a good second choice but lots of good used 15's are still around for a "reasonable" price even in these inflated times.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'd carry what I carried for many years as my EDC, an S&W Model 13, FBI configuration (three in bull barrel, round butt frame), in a Milt Sparks VM II and a speed loader.

This is the best fug the rest . No better combat 7-12 yd revolver out there simply superb. FBI been getting their ass shot off ever since they went to snubbies and auto hosers. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waders;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, it's been much to long since I've said hello to you sir, but I hope that all is as well as can be with you and your family.

Since as a Canuck we're not currently allowed to even have impure thoughts about carrying a sidearm for defense, my thoughts on the subject are akin to how many angels I think can dance on a horseshoe nail.

That said, for me personally and especially so as I've been aging, I'll take nice square sights rather than a trough or notch for sure. In the same vein, I can usually do better with a 4" barrel revolver than a shorter one, but that's my semi-old guy eyes and not yours.

If you can hide it and don't mind the length difference for concealment, I'd pack whatever I shot the best with - once again if we were allowed such basics of free citizenry here across the medicine line.

Stay well and all the best of our Lord's blessing to you all.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wear a revolver by choice. First generation Charter Bulldog .44 Special, bull barrel. Loaded and in the pancake holster, it's less then 1.5 pounds. One speed loader and a speed strip for reloads. Summer load is 210 gr Silvertips, winter load is 240 gr SWC.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Anteloper
Originally Posted by sparkman10mm
386PD

+1 on this. I have one & love it but Find one today...

A three inch 386sc on GB now. Not cheap, but it checks a lot of boxes. 7 shot as well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I carry a 1911 but have had the revolver bug myself the last few years, though for different reasons than the OP. I have been playing with different ones but have not become confident enough yet with any full sized revolver to make any sort of a recommendation. I do believe I'd avoid any .44 Mag or bigger though, just because it isn't needed for self defense and the guns they come in are generally pretty big. One of the oddball .45 ACP revolvers or such have grabbed my attention, though sticking with standard .357 Mag probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Bbl length I suspect is optimal at around 4", maybe a bit longer.

I normally advocate carrying what you'd would want to have if it is needed, and then figure out how to conceal it. When in summer though, dressed like the slut that I am I have lately been packing a Ruger LCR in .38 Special +P in my front pocket with a speed loader in the other. It is more accurate than a sub 2" bbl should be but still just doesn't feel "right" for self defense.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Colt Detective Special in 38. I carried one for years and it would do anything I needed it to. For me it was a matter of what it would do at 10 feet and loaded with hollowpoints that little pistol was more than accurate enough and a 38 hollowpoint in the chest is a great equalizer.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
well if i got people i think are going to be attacking me, it would be the lightest one i could shoot the best. might try the s&w 629 scandium frame ones with 44 special loads.

My diploma is a DD214
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,416
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.