-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
carry it every day almost, winter I'll carry a full size 1911.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve been known to stick a S&W M&P340 in my pocket running around town. Have a couple of Speed Strips. Using aftermarket Hogue grips gets you away from “2 fingered” grips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Waders
If you were to pick a revolver for your full-time EDC, with the expectation that one day you might be the target of an attack directed specifically at you (not just some random mugger or crazy guy), what would you carry? I ask, because my home state is extreme enough to try to ban all semi-autos. I'm not saying such a ban would survive judicial scrutiny, but in case I have to pack a revolver for a year or so while the appeal process works, I want to own/practice with my gun in advance rather than join the rush of people all shopping at once.

PLEASE - Let's NOT discuss politics or delve into a constitutional debate. Just talk revolvers you'd carry as an EDC if that were your only choice. Thanks!

And if you care, currently my default choice, based on what I already own would be a pinned/recessed Smith 66-1 2.5" in an OWB holster with a speed strip in each front pocket of my suit pants. I'm thinking I might want a 4" gun for the longer sight radius (my near vision is not great), but I'm not sure.

Alloy- framed six-shot Colt revolver chambered for .38 Special. S&W version is called Model 12.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[quote=goalie]3" SP101 in 357mag (quote)

Good idea,mine is a 9mm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 45_100
My EDC is a Cimarron Lightning in 38 special with 3 1/2" barrel. Not ideal I know because it is single action. But it is a smaller frame than the full size Colt or Ruger. The main reason I carry it is because I have to deal deal with injured livestock from time to time. I think it is adequate to deal with deranged people if necessary. I carry it in a modified Galco SAO holster which can be carried strong side or cross draw. My second choice is just what you described. With a fixed blade knife, chaps, a rope and handgun it starts to add up.

The original Colt Lightning was double action. Why is yours only single action?

You are correct. From what I understand the Colt Lightning was somewhat fragile and tended to break. Hard to find one in good working condition and they are highly prized if found. Cimarron has used this as a marketing gimmick and advertises the single action Lightning as " the gun Colt should have made". This gun has the firing pin in the frame but I don't think it has a hammer block so I carry five rounds. They also make the Thunderer which is a full size SA revolver with the Colt style firing pin on the hammer. I think it is all about marketing.
Good question and very observent.

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
M10-8 in .38. Worked well in the big city

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This works if you have to keep a low profile. I still carry this daily in retirement. Preferable (to me) to a semi, but I'm not expecting a reinforced Haji rifle squad.

Last edited by RGK; 03/28/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
3" SP101 in 357mag

nailed it right out of the gate. hands down what I would do

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For all those suggesting 5-shot J Frames, I appreciate your input, but is that really the gun you want for a gunfight? It's a serious question, not a criticism. Size and weight aren't going to be the deal breaker here for me (within reason--I'm probably not going to opt for an N Frame with a 8 3/8" barrel).

If somebody was waiting for me in the parking lot and the fight was on, I'm thinking I'd want a real rear sight--not just a notch, and bit more grip than the typical 2 finger. How much sight radius would you want? I'm talking in terms of fighting back against a determined attacker.

Thanks!

I can hit clay pigeons easy at fifty yards with my sps101 and no problem hitting a chest size target at a 100

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a SW 360PD in 357 mag when I hike. I think it weights 12 ounces. Actually hurts to shoot 357 kinda, so a better carry than range gun for salty loads.
I also have the same 329 in 44 mag, but it is pretty big. I think it weighs about 27 ounces? Anyway it is not pleasant to shoot with full loads, but a lot better than the 357.
I do think the 360 is a good carry.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can and do carry my 4" 586 a fair bit, but if I were in town more than the woods, it'd be a 3" mod 60. Real sights, extremely easy for me to shoot accurately. I replaced the springs and smoothed the action. With some .38 +p sjhp I don't feel undergunned in the least when I'm carrying it in town.

MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
As i've already ground that useless hump off the Hogue grips that hindered speedy speed loading on my old 1st Gen 4" 357 mag Colt Trooper as well as having 6 speedloaders for it, that would be the one, it's accurate, smother than smooth and dependable.

125gr XTP's 1450.
125gr Barnes hp's 1450.
140gr Barnes hp's 1400........................drill bit load.
158gr cast Performance hard cast, 1366.

I suppose a man could get most all of it done with those loads, that 140 Barnes is ugly.

Trump Won!
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
If you were to pick a revolver for your full-time EDC, with the expectation that one day you might be the target of an attack directed specifically at you (not just some random mugger or crazy guy), what would you carry? I ask, because my home state is extreme enough to try to ban all semi-autos. I'm not saying such a ban would survive judicial scrutiny, but in case I have to pack a revolver for a year or so while the appeal process works, I want to own/practice with my gun in advance rather than join the rush of people all shopping at once.

PLEASE - Let's NOT discuss politics or delve into a constitutional debate. Just talk revolvers you'd carry as an EDC if that were your only choice. Thanks!

And if you care, currently my default choice, based on what I already own would be a pinned/recessed Smith 66-1 2.5" in an OWB holster with a speed strip in each front pocket of my suit pants. I'm thinking I might want a 4" gun for the longer sight radius (my near vision is not great), but I'm not sure.

Around here it would be a choice between a snub nose LCRx and a 4 inch SP101, each in 327 mag loaded with a powder coated 120 gr hardcast over a case full of H110.

The LCR fits well in a pocket. Carrying the SP 101 requires holster.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I wear a revolver by choice. First generation Charter Bulldog .44 Special, bull barrel. Loaded and in the pancake holster, it's less then 1.5 pounds. One speed loader and a speed strip for reloads. Summer load is 210 gr Silvertips, winter load is 240 gr SWC.

I carried one of those for a while back in the 1980s. Great choice.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MAC
Colt Detective Special in 38. I carried one for years and it would do anything I needed it to. For me it was a matter of what it would do at 10 feet and loaded with hollowpoints that little pistol was more than accurate enough and a 38 hollowpoint in the chest is a great equalizer.

Another one that I carried daily for years, back approximately somewhere between 2005 and 2010. Another excellent choice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
M10-8 in .38. Worked well in the big city

[img]https://i.imgur.com/dML0IQT.jpg[/img

Yep. Same appeal as the FBI configured Model 13.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
3” for me as well. Either mdl 60 or kimber K6S DASA. Never thought I would love the kimber but I do. Very accurate for me and zero problems so far.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Or 3 speed six

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find many answers interesting.

The question, simply, was what would you carry if you had reasonable
expectation of bring attacked by an asassin? Hit man?
Like you are a DA or judge in an organized crime trial?

Most would say a shotgun or rifle. Hired bodyguards if practical?

But limited to revolvers?

So we get answers to what's the nicest revolver to carry?
In the remote, off chance, you might possibly, sometime, maybe, need it?

But then, I guess some would grab a small gripped, short barrel, lightweight, crappy sighted, 5 shot to go into a fight? Not in case, but into a fight?

It's the difference between your walking around 223 in case you want to shoot
something, and a "following a wounded Brown Bear in the pucker brush gun".

Waders, I probably destroyed your thread, sorry.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I find many answers interesting.

The question, simply, was what would you carry if you had reasonable
expectation of bring attacked by an asassin? Hit man?
Like you are a DA or judge in an organized crime trial?

Most would say a shotgun or rifle. Hired bodyguards if practical?

But limited to revolvers?

So we get answers to what's the nicest revolver to carry?
In the remote, off chance, you might possibly, sometime, maybe, need it?

But then, I guess some would grab a small gripped, short barrel, lightweight, crappy sighted, 5 shot to go into a fight? Not in case, but into a fight?

It's the difference between your walking around 223 in case you want to shoot
something, and a "following a wounded Brown Bear in the pucker brush gun".

Waders, I probably destroyed your thread, sorry.

The OP specifically asked for revolver recommendations.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Page 4 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.