Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sounds like a good way to spend the day.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Up until 3.5 years ago, I had never dropped a tree. Now, it's second only to mowing.

I took a wild hair and bought a little patch of property that a hippie family had allowed to become over grown while they did their "back to nature" bullshit.

I've been cutting trees and brush ever since.

I don't have any exotic equipment, so I go at it with a chainsaw, a chipper, a 65 year old body, a 70 year old tractor, and a Bic lighter assisted by some stock in a charcoal lighter company.

I dug a pretty good sized hole out back to burn it all in. So far this year I've cut down and burned a 25' spruce tree that had died, (after cutting all the ancient Christmas tree lights out of it) and some type of exotic Maple tree that hippies seem attracted to. I liked the Maple tree too,...but evidently, they planted it when they were too stoned to realize that they set it out right under the power lines that feeds 3 houses out here.

For the past few years one of my favorite activities is to spend the day hanging out back by the fire hole pitching a dissected tree into it while occasionally taking sips from the pint bottle which stays secured in the bib pocket in a pair of Liberty overalls.

It's a lot of work,..and I have to take regular breaks to keep my wind up. But I'm glad that it's tree cutting/burning, pint sipping time again.

Every age has its high spots. As a young man it was chasing puzzy,...at middle age lt was making kids and being driven crazy by the wife I had then,...as a senior citizen, my high point is to cut and burn trees while I sip on a favored libation until the sun sets and I wander back to the house to shower and sink into the bed.

I like this age. I'm stooped,..every joint in my body hurts,..I'm old, ugly, and all my hair has fallen out. But I can stand by a fire pit out on the backside of my property by myself,...watch the trees I've cleared burn,..sip on a pint, and be at peace with the world.

All in all, it beats the hell out of that disco ball I was dancing under back in '77.

I'm happy for you B.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We only clean roads, field edges, feeding areas, fences, etc..

Just too large of a mess to be overly picky. Local guy has grabber type grapple on his skidsteer that would be perfect for clearing it into windbreak shelter type brush piles.

We let people cut wood but of they always want to cut the standing dead. Over half of the chit on the ground is punky.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I see nothing wrong with your plan of attack B.
Actually I get alot of satisfaction working on the lawn and brush around here.
And if you get a few nips of "fire water" along the way-even better.

Last edited by rong; 03/28/21.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
All of the playing with a chainsaw has allowed me to experiment around with chain sharpening technique. My toolmaker background caused me to ponder a chainsaw chain and to see what I could do to make it cut better.

I bought one of those chain grinders from Harbor Freight,...which actually is a damn nice little tool for $30.

The first time I sharpen a new chain, I set the tooth angle at 35 degrees and file about a 16th inch off the rakers so the teeth can dig in and take a bite. I think some Lawyer made the manufacturers set the rakers so high. Or maybe the manufacturers set them that high so people who can't rationalize out the function of a chainsaw chain will go buy another one once it gets dull,...I dunno.

My opinion,..a 35 degree angle on the cutting edge of a chain tooth and knocking the rakers down with a file will make a chain bite right smart.

I've about beat this Echo 58V to death. I might have to get another saw before the summer is over.

IC B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I presume you have a 3/8 chain?
So then its a 7/32 file.....
You are correct on the 35 degree, also......if you hold your file handle slightly lower than the tip end, it will also put another angle on your tooth making it cut even better.

Rolling your file handle with every stroke, upwards, will clean up the filed edge.

The most common mistake filing is pushing down to hard with your file, so that after your chain gets lets say 1/2 worn, your file no longer catches the cutting portion of the cutting tooth, (the top). If you look with a mag glass you will see the cutting edge on top is filed or is being missed because the file is too deep.

Rakers....yes I like mine at least a thickness of a dime below the cutters. If you go more it becomes a danger, kickback can be a problem.
Hope your wearing chaps, and a face shield, I have stitches in my leg and face from chainsaws, lots of stitches.
Its important to know a saw is the most dangerous tool out there, even in ideal conditions.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't use a file. I use a grinder,...best 30 bucks you can spend if you use a chainsaw.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK, I didn't know one existed, but for 30 bucks, its worth that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Up until 3.5 years ago, I had never dropped a tree. Now, it's second only to mowing.

I took a wild hair and bought a little patch of property that a hippie family had allowed to become over grown while they did their "back to nature" bullshit.

I don't have any exotic equipment, so I go at it with a chainsaw, a chipper, a 65 year old body, a 70 year old tractor, and a Bic lighter assisted by some stock in a charcoal lighter company.

I dug a pretty good sized hole out back to burn it all in. So far this year I've cut down and burned a 25' spruce tree that had died, (after cutting all the ancient Christmas tree lights out of it) and some type of exotic Maple tree that hippies seem attracted to. I liked the Maple tree too,...but evidently, they planted it when they were too stoned to realize that they set it out right under the power lines that feeds 3 houses out here.

For the past few years one of my favorite activities is to spend the day hanging out back by the fire hole pitching a dissected tree into it while occasionally taking sips from the pint bottle which stays secured in the bib pocket in a pair of Liberty overalls.

It's a lot of work,..and I have to take regular breaks to keep my wind up. But I'm glad that it's tree cutting/burning, pint sipping time again.

Every age has its high spots. As a young man it was chasing puzzy,...at middle age lt was making kids and being driven crazy by the wife I had then,...as a senior citizen, my high point is to cut and burn trees while I sip on a favored libation until the sun sets and I wander back to the house to shower and sink into the bed.

I like this age. I'm stooped,..every joint in my body hurts,..I'm old, ugly, and all my hair has fallen out. But I can stand by a fire pit out on the backside of my property by myself,...watch the trees I've cleared burn,..sip on a pint, and be at peace with the world.

All in all, it beats the hell out of that disco ball I was dancing under back in '77.

You know Bristoe,

Undoing the damage done by hippies outta get you a good seat later on..

Enjoy the peace you earn by making you piece of this work better...

Carry on...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 673
OK, I didn't know one existed, but for 30 bucks, its worth that.

There's much more heavier duty chain grinders out there. But the little 30 buck Harbor Freight machine will definitely do the job,...and it's easy to use once you figure out how to set the stops,...which isn't rocket science.

IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

You know Bristoe,

Undoing the damage done by hippies outta get you a good seat later on..

Enjoy the peace you earn by making you piece of this work better...

Carry on...

This house and site is where the family who farms the land surrounding it built on 50 years ago. They had several hundred acres to choose from and they built here. The house is decent, but nothing special. But the building site is very nice. It's up on a hill and you can see for 3 or 4 miles in two directions. The family who grew up here still farm the land that surrounds it. They all grew up and went their own way,...the old folks died off,...so they sold off the old homestead.

I'm the second owner since it was sold off by the family who farms the land around it. I jumped on it when it came up for sale.

It needs to be cleaned up, but I've taken it a long way over the past 3.5 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That would probably work.

I cut everything above 3" diameter up and put it in the firewood stack.

Today, I put all the limbs in the back of my F-150,..hauled it back by the fire pit, then let the tailgate down, tied a string onto a limb on the bottom and pulled the whole mess out of the back of my pick-up with the tractor.

It's supposed to rain all night. After the rain quits, I'll go back there with my chainsaw and cut the pile up into pieces that will fit in my fire hole and pitch them in it as necessary.

It all goes pretty fast once everything gets going.

I was standing there looking at all the limbs stacked in the back of my old pick up,..and it brought to mind the album cover of Led Zeppelin four.

That's quite a load of [bleep]! (f a g g o t s - a bundle of sticks or twigs bound together as fuel.).

Last edited by AB2506; 03/28/21.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by AB2506
That would probably work.

I cut everything above 3" diameter up and put it in the firewood stack.

Today, I put all the limbs in the back of my F-150,..hauled it back by the fire pit, then let the tailgate down, tied a string onto a limb on the bottom and pulled the whole mess out of the back of my pick-up with the tractor.

It's supposed to rain all night. After the rain quits, I'll go back there with my chainsaw and cut the pile up into pieces that will fit in my fire hole and pitch them in it as necessary.

It all goes pretty fast once everything gets going.

I was standing there looking at all the limbs stacked in the back of my old pick up,..and it brought to mind the album cover of Led Zeppelin four.

That's quite a load of [bleep]! (f a g g o t s - a bundle of sticks or twigs bound together as fuel.).

lolol,...

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Bristoe, glad you're still enjoying your property. Has the cane that you were dealing with a year or two ago made a comeback, or are you in good shape with it?

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I renting an 80 acre pasture that has been getting overgrown with cedar and Jonny loctus spent the day with a chainsaw today ain’t as say as it used to be. Have a short window as when the grass gets too high it binds up the chain saw. Later after the cows get it down it’s just to blasted hot.
Don’t seem like im making any progress

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by acy
Bristoe, glad you're still enjoying your property. Has the cane that you were dealing with a year or two ago made a comeback, or are you in good shape with it?

It's beaten down.

I had a guy with a forest mulcher pulverize it then I spent several hours dragging a subsoiler behind my tractor to scratch up the root system. There's a couple of little clusters trying to come back, but they die if you repeatedly mow them. I might hit them with glyphosate if they get too stubborn.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
I renting an 80 acre pasture that has been getting overgrown with cedar and Jonny loctus spent the day with a chainsaw today ain’t as say as it used to be. Have a short window as when the grass gets too high it binds up the chain saw. Later after the cows get it down it’s just to blasted hot.
Don’t seem like im making any progress

80 acres is a lot to tackle with a chainsaw. It's all I can do to clean up what exists on 5.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In the Seattle area, King county will not let you cut or trim your trees. If a tree is falling on your house, you can get a permit to have a licensed arborist cut it, but you will have to plant a tree to replace it.

So the city or county owns your trees.
The state owns your deer.

Sounds like England many centuries ago, when the king own the Oak tree on your property, and the deer on your property.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,830 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.