-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Savage model 99F in .308 was my first purchase of this fine rifle. The receiver and barrel was reblued, but the furniture was stock, and not messed with. The forearm is slender and light that just makes it a fine firearm to carry in the woods all day. Since this rifle has come into my possesion it has not touched the ground on a hunt. I topped it off with a fine Leupold and it has become my favorite rifle as I get older. Once you reach the age when your eyes aren't what they use to be........you will like a small scope!

I would like to add.......if the recoil of the .308 hurts you in anyway.....maybe you should find another hobby?

Last edited by onelostsoul; 03/29/21.

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Have the 99F in .308 and it kicks me, but that's me. I have tried the reduced recoil load by Hornady and that helps. If I ever return to PA for deer I will need a lever gun or a Remington pump to fit in with old friends.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Yes it has a weaver scope on it. Boyd lol on fitting in with friends but so true. A little kick does not hurt long.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Heck, I got rid of a M1920 .300 once because it was a nasty bugger to shoot. It is indeed all about gun weight and stock shape in terms of individual fit.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boyd45
Have the 99F in .308 and it kicks me, but that's me. I have tried the reduced recoil load by Hornady and that helps. If I ever return to PA for deer I will need a lever gun or a Remington pump to fit in with old friends.

with the sights on a deer you never feel the kick anyway. sighting in just don't do it off a bench. won't have a bench in the woods.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by onelostsoul

I would like to add.......if the recoil of the .308 hurts you in anyway.....maybe you should find another hobby?

The 308 Fs aren't easy on me. I've been shooting for almost 50 years. I've owned and shot dozens of rifles and calibers. I don't intend to find another hobby.

I would like to add...you are a douchebag.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Back at ya' buddy......if I was afraid of the recoil on any rifle..Doesn't matter who made it......Savage,Remington,Winchester.... .I would not own it!

Thanks for the compliment,
Douchebag!

Onelost!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by onelostsoul

Knitting is a low impact pastime. Or a guy could learn topiary. Me, I want to learn how to tie-die
in camo colors. Maybe when I am too big a wuss to shoot a 308 that's the way I'll go.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a 308 E and don’t remember it being bad to shoot. Got a beautiful DL and that thing rattled my teeth. Gave it to John for his Birthday. I can shoot 100 rounds a session through my 250 with zero recoil damage to my shoulder. I’ve shot deer and pigs in the eye with it. No flinch factor with any load. If that gets too hard to shoot, I’ll just boost Gary’s set trigger Hornet, single shot and keep shooting in the eye. Ain’t taken up paint by the numbers.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
[quote=onelostsoul]

Or a guy could learn topiary.

Dang! I had to look that up! You can learn something here every day...

An armed society is a polite society.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
<!DOCTYPE html>
<!--[if lt IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie6 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie7 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8]> <html class="no-js ie8 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en-US"> <!--<![endif]-->
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0">

<title>www.24hourcampfire.com | 520: Web server is returning an unknown error</title>
<meta charset="UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge,chrome=1" />
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1" />
<link rel="stylesheet" id="cf_styles-css" href="/cdn-cgi/styles/main.css" type="text/css" media="screen,projection" />

</head>
<body>
<div id="cf-wrapper">

<div id="cf-error-details" class="p-0">
<header class="mx-auto pt-10 lg:pt-6 lg:px-8 w-240 lg:w-full mb-8">
<h1 class="inline-block sm:block sm:mb-2 font-light text-60 lg:text-4xl text-black-dark leading-tight mr-2">

<span class="cf-error-type">Error</span>
<span class="cf-error-code">520</span>
</h1>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">Ray ID: 63832ff1abf40285 •</span>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">2021-03-30 17:51:39 UTC</span>
<h2 class="text-gray-600 leading-1.3 text-3xl font-light">Web server is returning an unknown error</h2>
</header>

<div class="my-8 bg-gradient-gray">
<div class="w-240 lg:w-full mx-auto">
<div class="clearfix md:px-8">

<div id="cf-browser-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<div class="relative mb-10 md:m-0">
<span class="cf-icon-browser block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-ok w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">You</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Browser</h3>
<span class="leading-1.3 text-2xl text-green-success">Working</span>
</div>

<div id="cf-cloudflare-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-cloud block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-ok w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">San Jose</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Cloudflare</h3>
<span class="leading-1.3 text-2xl text-green-success">Working</span>
</div>

<div id="cf-host-status" class="cf-error-source relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-server block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-error w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">www.24hourcampfire.com</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Host</h3>
<span class="leading-1.3 text-2xl text-red-error">Error</span>
</div>

</div>

</div>
</div>

<div class="w-240 lg:w-full mx-auto mb-8 lg:px-8">
<div class="clearfix">
<div class="w-1/2 md:w-full float-left pr-6 md:pb-10 md:pr-0 leading-relaxed">
<h2 class="text-3xl font-normal leading-1.3 mb-4">What happened?</h2>
<p>There is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.</p>
</div>

<div class="w-1/2 md:w-full float-left leading-relaxed">
<h2 class="text-3xl font-normal leading-1.3 mb-4">What can I do?</h2>
<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are a visitor of this website:</h3>
<p class="mb-6">Please try again in a few minutes.</p>

<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are the owner of this website:</h3>
<p><span>There is an issue between Cloudflare's cache and your origin web server. Cloudflare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. To help support the investigation, you can pull the corresponding error log from your web server and submit it our support team. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page).</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200171936-Error-520">Additional troubleshooting resources</a>.</p>
</div>
</div>

</div>

<div class="cf-error-footer cf-wrapper w-240 lg:w-full py-10 sm:py-4 sm:px-8 mx-auto text-center sm:text-left border-solid border-0 border-t border-gray-300">
<p class="text-13">
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1">Cloudflare Ray ID: <strong class="font-semibold">63832ff1abf40285</strong></span>
<span class="cf-footer-separator sm:hidden">•</span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Your IP</span>: 2603:8080:1c02:1007:c112:d12b:b05c:dc99</span>
<span class="cf-footer-separator sm:hidden">•</span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Performance & security by</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://www.cloudflare.com/5xx-error-landing" id="brand_link" target="_blank">Cloudflare</a></span>

</p>
</div><!-- /.error-footer -->

</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

get this one, then get ready for the next one

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
get this one, then get ready for the next one

Only thing that made it?

Everything else is just text.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have one, doesn’t kick for cshit. Granddaughter shoots it sometimes, she likes it, she might be 110 lbs.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ken, all you are getting is a page full of error stuff?

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok, all you He-Man Recoil Absorbers: recoil has an effect on everybody, no exceptions. It's a cumulative effect that doesn't effect each individual the same way, but regardless of who you are it will catch up sooner or later- and it'll be sooner rather than later if you persist in shooting Macho Calibers in lightweight guns or guns that don't fit properly.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ok, all you He-Man Recoil Absorbers: recoil has an effect on everybody, no exceptions. It's a cumulative effect that doesn't effect each individual the same way, but regardless of who you are it will catch up sooner or later- and it'll be sooner rather than later if you persist in shooting Macho Calibers in lightweight guns or guns that don't fit properly.

Very true. I know my father in his 70s no longer shoots the bigger calibers he used to when he was younger. The rifle fit definitely has something to do with the feel of recoil too. I have a Marlin in 45-70 that I can comfortably shoot but I shot a buddies 45-70 and it was noticably more uncomfortable.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I think fit is important too. It certainly is with shotguns and pistol grips can make or break you in bullseye shooting. Rifles are no different. We just tend to think of them differently.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Knitting is sounding better all the time.

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was sorta thinking tie die camo would be awesome. Drive a bit to Eugene and you can learn all you need to know and pass it on to us! The deer won't know what hit them.

Last edited by damnesia; 04/01/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dang gum-it-all , now I have to get rid of my 458 Winchester Magnum .

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 3,128 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.