Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
At McMillan's price point im surprised they can sell enough stocks to stay in business, these stocks cost more than many rifles do, I dont see this kind of value here.......Hb

HR IC

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'd say the McM family did a good job of setting the business up for sale. Two years of running the business flat out. Order back log continues to build. Spreading fixed costs over as many units as possible. Weeding out the less profitable / more difficult to produce product variants. Continual gradual price increases. All things that make the bean counters eyes light up when they come in to determine sale price of an existing business. The McM's done good. Bully for them...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now with the change of hands new owners should have two priorities, one being quality and customer service second to none, and the second being to deliver product in a reasonable amount of time from my order to my front door.

That shouldn't be asking for too much for a plastic stock costing just shy of a grand.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Ordered one a few years back. Finally showed up and they used magnum fill when I requested standard, the barrel channel was crooked, and they put a 15" length a pull on there and I ordered standard. It was so long they glued a spacer into the stock. They let me return it for full refund, but I wasted 6 months waiting.

Two years ago I ordered a stock they had on hand in their store. Five months later and still no stock. Kept getting told "waiting on inletting." Finally reached out to Kelly McMillan and it magically appeared.

Thought about ordering another recently, but I see they now charge an extra $80 for a recoil pad. Who the F buys a stock without a recoil pad? After shipping and extras like sling stud and a pesky recoil pad, I was looking at $750. Just going to buy a B&C for less than half.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
McMillan is a name, nothing more.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see how things could possibly work out well for ME if I decided to treat myself to a McMillan. I'll pass.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I prefer to do my own work so I order my stocks in the raw with the rough inlets.

I like the McM's because they offer a slimmer hunting stock like the Hunters Edge or other slim patterns in Edge fill. I also like the molded in checkering

The Edges are heavy compared to other stocks like Wildcat or Bansner--which are 6 oz to 7 oz lighter.

The McM raw stock with inletting is 100's of dollars more than a Wildcat (which is not currently available to the USA) or a Bansner. For the price of two Edge's delivered I can buy three Bansners and still have a few bucks left over.

My High Tech Specialties, Bansner, and Wildcat stocks are just as stiff as my Edge's.

To me, the Edges are no longer worth the cost or wait.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don’t like all the changes at McMillan or the price increased but if they still have what I am looking for I still prefer them.

I just checked bansner and it was about $65 cheaper than the McMillan with no tax or shipping. The brown is way more expensive. I don’t particularly like the manners and they don’t have the configurations I want for my current project. I know you can get Hs precision or bell and Carlson quite a bit cheaper but I don’t like the feel of them or the weight.

Who else am I missing??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I must be living in the 4 leaf clover patch. Have ordered over a dozen over the years with various fills, shank lengths, barrel inlets, LOPs, swivel studs, flush mounts, rail mounts, adjustable cheek pieces and never had an issue. Doing business in the US isn't getting cheaper and costs rise, I for one hope they survive and flourish.

I would be guessing but if I was them, I'd [bleep] can the 80% of the stocks that make up 20% of their business. And I'd try to dominate the 20% of their stocks currently making up 80% of their business.

If I build another rifle, the stock choice is easy for me.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W

Let me put this back to the top. Just received the two stocks back from McMillan today. Believe me when I say that one of the stocks is worse than it was when I sent it back. Action doesn’t even fit. Unbelievable. I guess I’m done with them

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
None better than McMillan. I’ve had exceptional luck with them. As for other stock makers, the closest thing I’ve found are the Pacific Research (formerly Borden) stocks that are like hens teeth to find.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 03/29/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have quite a few of them, on Sako and Rem 700 actions. I like them, but not enough to buy them at their current prices and long wait times. I’ve moved on from them and have bought four stocks from other companies.

Last edited by dale06; 03/29/21.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by winchester88

Let me put this back to the top. Just received the two stocks back from McMillan today. Believe me when I say that one of the stocks is worse than it was when I sent it back. Action doesn’t even fit. Unbelievable. I guess I’m done with them

Yikes. Sorry. I bought a B&C recently and it was perfect. I started chopping and modifying it to my specs though... 😎

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I can say from personal experience with McMillan, Winchester88s situation is far from unique. I bought a hunters edge a couple years ago and the fit was so poor if it hadn't been bedded (and remember McMillan will tell you bedding isn't necessary) the action would slide backward in the stock almost a quarter inch under recoil. I've bought two that had to be sent back to be redone due to someone at McMillan not being able to read or comprehend the order. Most recently was exactly what his situation was. Ordered a Featherweight with a Featherweight barrel contour and they shipped a Featherweight with a sporter contour. At least the paint was right. crazy Someone in their shop isn't doing their job when crap like that gets through QA. Or maybe they don't do QA. Either way, I won't be going back for more. I'll happily spend the extra money on the Brown Precision Pound'r and have a better fit and a lighter stock. McMillan won't get any more of my business.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
None better than McMillan.
Glad you've had good experience(s) with them. Too bad you couldn't experience what it's like on the receiving end of poor customer service from them when things don't go well...you might change your tune.

I get it...I hopped on the McMillan bandwagon after guys here raved about them. And all you guys that have had great luck with them, good for you. But when you wait months for a stock and it's POS when you get it and they won't do anything but have you send it back so you can get in line again to wait some more for them to fix their mistake, then do it again...yeah, I won't get burned again. It's not worth it to me.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I called them last week to order a stock for my Model 70 classic and was told they do not inlet for that action anymore?

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CRS
I called them last week to order a stock for my Model 70 classic and was told they do not inlet for that action anymore?
At the very least they were cutting back on available options for the Model 70. I wasn't aware they had decided to discontinue offering them altogether. Their web site still shows them as available but who knows?

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by CRS

Maybe they lost their program on the CNC, so they just took a stab at inletting mine twice. Unsuccessful both times. 😡

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by CRS

This absolutely blows my mind. They have the mold, they have the CNC equipment and they turn business away. Seems like a good business model to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like new owners know schit about the gunstock business..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (338reddog, 300_savage, 308xray, 16penny, 280shooter, 27 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,261
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.