Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Jesus Himself told His disicples before sending them out to stay and teach where they were invited to stay, and leave where there were not invited to stay, and shake the dust from their sandals as they were leaving, as a warning. He didn't tell anyone to do any throat-cramming ...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My religion is none of your MF'n business.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Fair enough, just don't try to make it ours either

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If something is nobodies business, why post it on a public forum?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by paulfish308
Jesus Himself told His disicples before sending them out to stay and teach where they were invited to stay, and leave where there were not invited to stay, and shake the dust from their sandals as they were leaving, as a warning. He didn't tell anyone to do any throat-cramming ...

Who pointed the gun to make you click on the thread? Ha. Couldnt help yourself, huh? Like a moth pissing about an open flame. grin

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by efw
I like discussing ideas and although I am a bit set in my ways I’m open to being corrected if a strong case is made.

I don’t consider it my place to debate Christianity with non-believers. If someone asks me an honest question I’ll do my best to give an honest answer. I also try to conduct myself recognizing that non-believers may be lurking who want answers and I don’t want to stand in the way of that person seeing the truth of our Lord and His story.

I really enjoy learning about the different faith traditions that make up historic Christianity. I don’t mind a good back and forth discussion/“argument” if it’s respectful, and do July best to uphold that on my side as well. I have run across a couple individuals here who were believers but violated their own professed convictions constantly when calling me out. To me that is hypocritical and I did not pull any punches in saying so.

I do my best not to offend but occasionally get a little wrapped up in the hostility that creeps into these anonymous debates where a human face isn’t before us. For that I am genuinely sorry.

At the end of the day this is the internet and we shouldn’t take ourselves or especially it too seriously.

Well said.

That being said, im not driven to investigate and post on the DU, and im not referring to you when i say this.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by EdM
Exactly why I did not return a call request with Wabi. Just finish a stir and start another. Rick needs a place for such threads and I believe he once had one...

Damn right they had one Ed, it was a cluster fu-k extraordinaire! if peace, love and light are so true, pure and available, how is it nothing but a constant stinking bullshlt sandwich?

I'll tell ya how, weak little beta men demanding others think the way they do because they haven't the testicular fortitude to have accomplished enough in life that others can SEE and FOLLOW!...........................fu-k faith, look right here, you can see it!

I like and respect both you guys a lot; I greatly enjoy your contributions to discussions you’re interested in on the fire so I don’t mean this with any disrespect at all.

Almost every day I check in and see what’s being discussed here on the fire. There are topics that I enjoy talking about, some I enjoy reading about, some in which I have no interest at all, and others that I know are going to go in a direction I don’t like. I make a choice to open or not open them and to participate or not participate based upon that analysis. I don’t need Rick to “banish” topics or people I don’t like I just don’t read their input or engage them.

Just my method of dealing with the issues you raise. Take it or leave it but I hope you don’t take offense.

This. I just counted 18 threads on the front page i have never clicked on though several have been running for days.

Make that 17 since im going to go back to it and ooen the one entitled Rotten Tomatoes.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Fair enough, just don't try to make it ours either

No worries. You get it or you don't. You will or you won't.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s pretty simple and easy to not open a thread if you’re not interested in the subject matter.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

That is totally cool by me.

Pardon me if I’m incorrect, but why the animosity? No one asked about your religion; you’re free to come on a thread marked “Religion?” and you’re free not to. Can’t be that you’re surprised to see the topic once you open it. No one forced you to post.

This is baffling to me.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
How do we follow Christ without following his word?
The men and women who actually knew Jesus personally and chose to follow Him...like Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, James, Andrew, Mary, Martha, and Paul...followed Him without ‘the Bible’. They received salvation without reading ‘any’ New Testament documents. And they were the men and women whose faith laid the groundwork for the evangelization of the entire world.
Some seem to think that Christianity depends upon the Bible. I don’t. Christianity would still be true even if every Bible and manuscript in the world were non-existent.

I appreciate your perspectives. You make some good points. I would agree that Christianity would still be true apart from the Bible. But I believe the scriptures are God breathed and given for a purpose. We wouldn't know of Jesus followers or the gospel so well apart from it. God could have passed on his truth through oral repetition, but that would be impractical. He has given his word that we might know him. I will look into your point about how scripture was used by Christ and others. I haven't heard that perspective. I appreciate the explanation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rickshaw, I appreciate your perspective as well. I agree with efw in that I also enjoy hearing and learning about the viewpoints of others regarding these things, especially when their responses are genuine and respectful. There are some smart men here, with some unique perspectives.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
How do we follow Christ without following his word?
The men and women who actually knew Jesus personally and chose to follow Him...like Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, James, Andrew, Mary, Martha, and Paul...followed Him without ‘the Bible’. They received salvation without reading ‘any’ New Testament documents. And they were the men and women whose faith laid the groundwork for the evangelization of the entire world.
Some seem to think that Christianity depends upon the Bible. I don’t. Christianity would still be true even if every Bible and manuscript in the world were non-existent.

I appreciate your perspectives. You make some good points. I would agree that Christianity would still be true apart from the Bible. But I believe the scriptures are God breathed and given for a purpose. We wouldn't know of Jesus followers or the gospel so well apart from it. God could have passed on his truth through oral repetition, but that would be impractical. He has given his word that we might know him.

That is so true, that He gave us His Word that we might know Him. Without His written Word, what would we have?

Creation . ..that certainly speaks of His power and general attributes, just not specifics.

His spoken Words to the prophets of old. Those would long be changed and forgotten.

I can only judge by historical records, observation, and the correctly translated Bible.

History going back to what are refered to as the church "fathers," shows us much. As they had worldly wisdom and superficial knowledge of the Scriptures, yet they were unbelievers in Christ as Saviour. That is extra biblical history going back as far as we have records remaining. There's much about their false version of "christianity" that can be gleaned, but the most basic concept of salvation was lost amongst them.

The spoken words of the Father were given for those to hear at Jesus' baptism and later during His prayer. It was not a doctrinal directive. The audible answer was a witness from heaven to earth that this was truly the Son of God and that He was very pleased with Him.
How long would we know those very Words had they not been inspired and preserved in writing today?
Maybe a couple of hundred years? Your guess is as good as mine.

The good thing is that we don't have to guess.
We look at the writings of John, Peter, Luke, and Paul.
I never counted how many warnings and corrections were given, but it was quite a LOT. Those were directed to churches they established themselves as well as for our own admonision. The city of Corinth had a large church that went into heresay, unjustified divisions, and didn't correct the gross immorality. That was during Paul's ministry. Today there's more of the same rather than improvement and strength.

I think this needs stating because we need not be concerned that there's unbelievers that want us to shut up and keep the Words of our Lord to ourselves. I'm trying to encourage us to stand against the devil in spite of attacks from his people. They don't hesitate to take His name in vain, and that in a way that is beyond what I ever heard from the dregs of society in my youth. Of course they hate Christ and His people. That's OK if they hate me. I wasn't wanting to put them on my friend list anyway. 😄

Jesus said to His half brothers when they proded Him to go into harm's way....
John7:7
The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil."

To His friends,

John 15:18
"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
"

Blessings to you,

Happy Camper

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by efw

Pardon me if I’m incorrect, but why the animosity? No one asked about your religion; you’re free to come on a thread marked “Religion?” and you’re free not to. Can’t be that you’re surprised to see the topic once you open it. No one forced you to post.

This is baffling to me.

I don't pretend to answer for my friend Pat. I will say that I understand his response. I have met him, interacted with him and I think I understand him. I am sure I understand his perspective. We have no animosity toward the Almighty or his Son. I speak for myself when I say I am grateful for his salvation. With that being said, my heart is hurt for the things I have seen, and felt. I understand that life is not fair. I see that the devil walks to and fro, seeking whom he may devour. I do not understand. I know it is wrong to question, yet I have questions... I am no longer comfortable in church, but I pray often. Is it animosity? I hope not. But I know that God is good. I give him praise.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Im on the bow and confess now program.

Many say better late than never.

I say better late than too late.

The choice is, make HIM your Creator happy, or make Satan, your persecutor happy.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
History has seen many who sold their soul to the Devil for power, riches and fame.

A lot of suckers sold out for a lot less.

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good point, I hadn't thought of "it", that way.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
CT my question about animosity had to do with the threads on religion... not animosity toward religious people. I am with you and get that. And I have no personal issue w/ anyone in this thread including Pat.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by efw

This is baffling to me.

I don't pretend to answer for my friend Pat. I will say that I understand his response. I have met him, interacted with him and I think I understand him. I am sure I understand his perspective. We have no animosity toward the Almighty or his Son. I speak for myself when I say I am grateful for his salvation. With that being said, my heart is hurt for the things I have seen, and felt. I understand that life is not fair. I see that the devil walks to and fro, seeking whom he may devour. I do not understand. I know it is wrong to question, yet I have questions... I am no longer comfortable in church, but I pray often. Is it animosity? I hope not. But I know that God is good. I give him praise.

God is not hard to find, but no man speaks for him.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I won't post a video,but, "You can't be a beacon if your light don' t shine."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,827
Posts18,477,918
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.