Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by RGK

This works if you have to keep a low profile. I still carry this daily in retirement. Preferable (to me) to a semi, but I'm not expecting a reinforced Haji rifle squad.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Curious about the taped grip. Throw down like The Godfather bathroom stashed piece? wink

No, it's not a "throwdown". Never had to plant anything on the people I arrested (or shot). This 442 has a set of plastic stocks on it that give a better grip, but are very slick, especially in hot, humid weather. The solution was the sticky electrician's tape, which also helped secure the revolver in my back pocket when I was buying narcotics. I never carried it in a holster or carried extra ammo when I was buying; cops wear nice holsters and carry spare ammo, bad guys don't. Plus, the tape made the gun look like a crook's stolen gun. That impression worked a couple of times when the 442 was spotted. I didn't purchase any dope those times, but I didn't have to fight, either.
Bob

Wrapping tape around the grip works.

I use hockey tape. Along with various pieces of material over the years on the backstrap to help mitigate the recoil from shooting it a bunch.

People who see it in person often comment about its unconventional looks until they handle it. Then the lightbulb comes on. Shooting it really is educational compared to a non modified one, especially during a long session.

I have over 5 K rounds through this J Frame in the last 20+ years. Only replaced a broken firing pin (so far).

I don't carry it as a primary, but it is rarely far away.

A fresh wrap of hockey tape and it is Good to Go!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Two fingers???

How do you hang on to the sonofabitching thing?

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
And J Frames can shoot better than people give them credit for.

At 21 feet you can drive tacks with one, with a bit of practice.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A J Frame would not be my choice of a daily carry gun. BTW. I was simply commenting in reference to the above posts.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I do okay single action....but cant do anything like that double action.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
W Bill makes some cool Speed Strips carriers.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog
[Linked Image]

Charter Arms .45 ACP Pitbull
[Linked Image]

The .45 is a bit bigger and heavier, and also holds five rounds. The Pitbull has a unique cylinder in that it does not require moon clips to hold the rounds at the proper depth in the cylinder. There is a spring loaded retainer, built into each round slot in the cylinder that holds the rounds in place. Pretty slick. When you push the extractor rod to eject the spent brass or unfired rounds, it releases it grip on the cartridge rim and they are easily extracted. I consider both of these excellent "truck guns" and with Buffalo Bore Hard Cast Wadcutters (@927fps) in the .44 Special it provides deep, straight line crushing action on bones, with no mushrooming. The hard cast .45ACP loads provide adequate protection against humans and black bears.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Expect about 24 inches of straight-line penetration in living mammalian tissue with this load

[Linked Image]
The two non-expanding loads are designed to shoot through large shoulder bones or the skull on a black bear.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Me either.....i can get 5 center mass hits quick DA fire at 7 or 10yds on a silhouette target with my tuned SP101, but nothing like the groups Mackay posted.

Last edited by marktheshark; 03/30/21.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If I had to carry a revolver this is what I would do personally.

While I have 2.5" and 4" Model 19s, I don't consider either ideal, though the 4" is a bit better.

The reason being anything less than a 3" barrel and you risk not getting complete ejection of empty cases during a reload.

While the 4" can work, I would opt for a 3" barrel and high visibility, adjustable sights.

That eliminates the Model 10s and 13s.

Ruger makes a perfect candidate in the 3" GP-100 .357 Mag. They can be found in both the standard and Wiley-Clapp version with a Novak rear and a fiber optic front. It is about as perfect as you could ask for.

Loaded with some Plus P .38s, with a speedloader in your pocket, or better yet, a J Frame. One should be pretty well set.

3" K Frame with adjustable sights or a 3" GP-100. Either would do nicely.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Me either.....i can get 5 center mass hits quick DA fire at 7 or 10yds on a silhouette target with my tuned SP101, but nothing like the groups Mackay posted.

The target shown was not fired quickly. It was simply fired standing, and taking my time stacking the DAO trigger. I literally have thousands of rounds through that 442, so I am used to it, and have practiced shooting it out to 50 yards.

That said, most any quality medium frame DA gun from Ruger or S&W can be made to have a very workable trigger, and with practice are quite accurate. The key is lots of practice. Frankly when I take months off from shooting a DA wheelgun, my skills diminish and I suck. It takes a couple hundred rounds to get things back to where they should be again. Most all of us simply don't put in the work that we should to be at the level we want to be when it comes to shooting DA revolvers these days.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mack, is that paint on the front sight or did you have something milled into place?

Please don't feed the trolls!
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by RGK
Nothing wrong with a 66...kinda big, though.
Bob

Thank you for these great pictures of yours. I suppose that the front sight is the result of an aftermarket gunsmith job.

Elmer Keith
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
At those Buffalo Bore velocities you wouldn't get much expansion using lyman#2 or linotype either.
Nice shooting M S with the j frame I have a m60 DAO that was a NYP gun that has great DA and is easy to shoot well.
Pachmyer rubber on it gives it a solid grip. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 03/31/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
An ADDENDUM:

[quote=RGK]Nothing wrong with a 66...kinda big, though.
Bob

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My post which is Immediately before this ^^^^ was NOT interpreted For Concealed Carry.

I agree RGK that the 66 is a little too big for C C .

I have 2 semis - 9mm & 40 SW for C C or Open Carry (holstered).

IF I was choosing a revolver for CC and EDC I would choose a smaller gun too.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
From time to time I'll carry a S&W 310 with 40 S&W/moon clips in a Milt Sparks PMK. Double speedloader pouch made for 357's will allow 2 stacked moon clips of 40's.....that's 6 in the gun, an 24 on the belt. Fairly fast to reload.

Could do the same with 45's in a 6/325. With 357/38's a 6/327 will hold 8 rounds but I don't think you can stack 2 in the pouch due to the longer length....maybe you could with 38's.

Lots of good options. Regardless of what I carried on the belt, I'd probably have jframe/LCR in my front left pocket as well.

Again....just for show/tell. It's really hard to beat a 310/325. Compact enough that it's no bigger than a Glock 19/23. Super fast reloads, the shorter auto rounds allow full ejection. 4 reloads on the belt....with 6 in that's 30 rounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
From time to time I'll carry a S&W 310 with 40 S&W/moon clips in a Milt Sparks PMK. Double speedloader pouch made for 357's will allow 2 stacked moon clips of 40's.....that's 6 in the gun, an 24 on the belt. Fairly fast to reload.

Could do the same with 45's in a 6/325. With 357/38's a 6/327 will hold 8 rounds but I don't think you can stack 2 in the pouch due to the longer length....maybe you could with 38's.

Lots of good options. Regardless of what I carried on the belt, I'd probably have jframe/LCR in my front left pocket as well.

Again....just for show/tell. It's really hard to beat a 310/325. Compact enough that it's no bigger than a Glock 19/23. Super fast reloads, the shorter auto rounds allow full ejection. 4 reloads on the belt....with 6 in that's 30 rounds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those S&W 310 Models are cool revolvers! Never was able to find one I could buy for a reasonable price, unfortunately. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S&W J-frame, stainless stubby in 38 speical. I can draw, point, and fire 5 rounds freaking ASAP into a 9" pie plate at 7-yards. It just points so well for me. Kind of wonder why I bother carrying a 9mm EDC sometimes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jerry doesn't carry this, but it's his personalized model JM that he had chambered in 9mm for thousand yard plinking. Lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No problem. Stainless steel Charter Arms Bulldog Pug with factory bobbed hammer in 44 Special.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Those S&W 310 Models are cool revolvers! Never was able to find one I could buy for a reasonable price, unfortunately. 😜

Yeah, I really like it. I think the 325 would be pretty cool and really efficient as well. I had a 327 Nightguard that I wish I had kept....357's would be hot, but 8 rounds of 38+p would be a pretty good SD option in it..

Page 14 of 18 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 43 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,561
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.