Hop To
Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by 222ND
What Does Declining Church Attendance Mean for Our Society?

That is an easy question to answer. Just watch the news...

But one can point to many periods of time throughout history where attendance was close to 100% and conditions were oppressive and horrible.

Correlation isn't causation.

When I read accounts of what the early settlers put up with in regards to the clergy it astounds me. Especially given what they set out to escape in England.

No wonder the best and brightest that are handed down as heros didn't "fit". Boone, Kenton, etc.

No different than government. Small it fulfills it's mission. The bigger it gets the more corrupt and evil it becomes.

MAGA
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by wabigoon
John 3:16 says a lot.

Yes it does Richard. I just wish more people could see that.

I am more of an Old Testament kinda guy...

Though He slay me, I will hope in Him; yet I will argue my ways to His face.

- Job 13:15

The New Testament is a book of "Hope"...

The Old Testament is a book of "Discipline"...

The Testament that is being written NOW... is one of "Strength".

The Old Testament prepared the world for the coming of the Savior.

The New Testament fulfilled that prophecy.

"The New Testament fulfilled that prophecy."

Really?

The new Testament is an "Hope Filled" Obama soup sandwich with a side order of cold stale fries.

It has been manipulated and abused FOREVER.

Dig deeper...

Life is damn hard... The Old Testament was very clean on that. Israel is a miserable chunk of rock... but the Jews hold it like a jewel because the know that Hard = Truth.

Prepare Now... extremely hard schist is coming.

If you follow the Old Testament and ignore the New Testament, then I guess you're not a Christian. A Christian is a follower of Christ and I guess that you don't like his teachings.

Oh no... you worship a different God than me...

Oh me... oh my... what shall we ever do...

Maybe start a war... like a hundred times before.

Let's burn it all down... because of what... remind me again.

Oh that's right... I quoted Job... and not John...

Surely someone must die...

You obviously don't know that the root of Christian is Christ. It's because of people like you that I don't have much use for organized religions. That's okay. I'm going out on a hike to worship God's creation.

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/03/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lots of people refuse to believe in God because they simply don't like the way He is running things. "I just can't believe in a god that would allow suffering!".... "I won't believe in a god that would send anyone to hell!"... "I refuse to believe in such an arbitrary god!".... "I won't worship a god that says we should do this, and we shouldn't do that!".... It seems they would prefer a god of their own making. A god that does what they tell him to... rather than the other way around.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"Yeah, so, regardless of how you live, if you never even knew about Jesus, let alone "believed" in him, torture for eternity."

I believe that those who have never heard the Word, little babies, aboriginals in deep remote areas as examples are probably given a pass. If the Lord God is truly just, He could do nothing less.
Paul B.

Yeah, see, that's not what the bible says.

And if you get to just pick, choose, and add stuff, well, it sure isn't an infallible source.....

You are dead wrong about that. All of us are held accountable by God for what light we have on his word. How can an infant or very young child know and make a choice as to whether to follow God or not. They can't. Same for some remote tribe too. There are few left that haven't heard but when it comes to the very young, yes they do get a pass and if they die before they reach an age of accountability they go to Heaven.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stophel
Lots of people refuse to believe in God because they simply don't like the way He is running things. "I just can't believe in a god that would allow suffering!".... "I won't believe in a god that would send anyone to hell!"... "I refuse to believe in such an arbitrary god!".... "I won't worship a god that says we should do this, and we shouldn't do that!".... It seems they would prefer a god of their own making. A god that does what they tell him to... rather than the other way around.

You are so right. You have to see the "big picture".........most people don't. They see and believe in what is convenient for them. That is why it is so important to read the Bible, go to church and participate in study and discussions of the word of God, and then maybe you just might begin to understand what God is about, and why He wants to believe in Him.

There was a time in my life when I turned my back on going to church, and tried telling myself that I didn't need to go, and could worship God in my own way. Of course, I can't speak for everyone, and am not going to pass judgement on them, but I finally figured out that by attending church I became much closer to God, and that I needed the fellowship and support of fellow Christians.

Yes, you can worship God any time or any place, it doesn't have to be on Sunday or inside a church. Yes, there are times when we get mad at certain people who are pretending to be Christians, and we decide that we don't want to be a part of something they're a part of, specifically a church. But, we shouldn't let those people dictate our relationship with God, or to determine whether or not we attend a church. Our relationship with Him is between the two of us, and no one else.

Last edited by JamesJr; 04/03/21.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And along comes one of our hate filled racist right on que.

But never on Sundays I'd presume.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by akasparky
And along comes one of our hate filled racist right on que.

But never on Sundays I'd presume.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend one of the minority members on here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"Yeah, so, regardless of how you live, if you never even knew about Jesus, let alone "believed" in him, torture for eternity."

I believe that those who have never heard the Word, little babies, aboriginals in deep remote areas as examples are probably given a pass. If the Lord God is truly just, He could do nothing less.
Paul B.

Yeah, see, that's not what the bible says.

And if you get to just pick, choose, and add stuff, well, it sure isn't an infallible source.....

You are dead wrong about that. All of us are held accountable by God for what light we have on his word. How can an infant or very young child know and make a choice as to whether to follow God or not. They can't. Same for some remote tribe too. There are few left that haven't heard but when it comes to the very young, yes they do get a pass and if they die before they reach an age of accountability they go to Heaven.

Cite chapter and verse please

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by SuperCub
If you live a good, moral life, you'll end up where you're supposed to.

In that, you are saying that you can "do good" yourself into heaven. If that is the case then Jesus died for nothing.

In reality, there are none who can merit going to heaven without Jesus' righteousness imparted upon us None! It's the work of the cross not our own good works. No matter what you (or I) do, we will never be good enough to go.

That part of Christian doctrine troubles me. A Buddhist monk who has done no harm to anyone or anything in his lifetime, and who has lived a virtuous life, goes to eternal torment upon death, but a sleazeball small-town politician or thieving businessman who has screwed people over all of his adult life gets to go to heaven, just because he was a deacon in church for the connections it gave him?

What about mentally ill people who, through no fault of their own, can't attend church or understand it? Schizophrenics, agoraphobics, people with social anxiety disorders, people with severe learning disabilities. They are tossed into the lake of fire because they were unlucky enough to have malfunctioning brains?

It all seems very unfair and arbitrary.

God gives everyone a fair shake.
There will be lots if LD adults in heaven that will have an IQ unencombered by the childhood vaccines or drugs their parents took. I can prove from the Bible that the children who left this world at no fault of their own were shown mercy beyond belief.
God seems unfair to you because you haven't talken time to get to know the God of the Bible.

IF you, y-o-u want to be judged by the standard of your morality, He will when that day comes.
If I got what I deserved, I would be in hell right now.
He will let you choose mercy and forgiveness instead IF that's what you want. However, it's on His terms. It's described in His Word.
If you don't want that, He will let you hold onto your self righteousness too. It's all a matter of your choice.
Are you as righteous as Jesus?

"As it is written, there is none righteous, no not one....
For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God."
Romans 3

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
6:23

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2:8-9

The rest is described in my signature link
https://youtu.be/GxdXw7LFguk

Would the virtuous Buddhist monk go to heaven?

Ask the Almighty God of the Bible.
Then read what I wrote last night again.
I wasn't very clear since I was tired.
Please watch the link as well.
I have been raised Catholic, led into a Buddhist practice, Hinduism and dabbled in Taoism in my youth. They all are based upon a most grave sin called Idolatry or idol worship. The Bible states,

"But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils."

The Buddhist gods are real beings, however they are false gods. They receive worship that is only due to the true God. All of them are evil wicked spirit beings called angels, the fallen ones.
Jesus called those gods, devils and evil spirits because they are.
He never allowed them to continue harming those who were possessed by them. He would command them with same authority of God Almighty that Jesus is. They were harmful and deceptive to those who served them and associated with them. Jesus was constantly casting them out during his ministry.

Do you think Buddhist priests go to heaven?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If entering into a building that is dedicated to the worship and teaching of God isn't for you that's your business but there's a few things I do question. How many missionaries have you supported? How do you expect the lost sinner that has not teaching in regard to the Bible to hear the truth if you've chosen to hide your light under a basket? How are we going to support the ongoing outreach through speaking, writing or otherwise? Do you tithe? There may be other questions I'm not arguing about church attendance but if everyone quit going who is carrying the torch? Are you?

I also want it to be known that my post isn't a defense of the Catholic church as some here have had a problem with. As far as I'm concerned they are not a Bible based doctrine and it's no wonder they have allowed what they have.

I don't attend a church. Once I heard a church was having difficulty so I started sending money anonymously. A man came to my company looking for a job. He happened to be the son of the pastor of above church. I did not mention I was helping his church. He told his dad about me, the religious fantastic who doesn't go to church.

This ol' boy came to visit. He condemned me for not giving to God's work. I chuckled but said nothing. The building does not make one a Christian.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Romans 7:9
If you read that verse & the surrounding verses you'll find what people are using as the age of accountability. The actual term age of accountability is not found in the Bible to my knowledge.

Romans 5:1
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
If entering into a building that is dedicated to the worship and teaching of God isn't for you that's your business but there's a few things I do question. How many missionaries have you supported? How do you expect the lost sinner that has not teaching in regard to the Bible to hear the truth if you've chosen to hide your light under a basket? How are we going to support the ongoing outreach through speaking, writing or otherwise? Do you tithe? There may be other questions I'm not arguing about church attendance but if everyone quit going who is carrying the torch? Are you?

I also want it to be known that my post isn't a defense of the Catholic church as some here have had a problem with. As far as I'm concerned they are not a Bible based doctrine and it's no wonder they have allowed what they have.

I don't attend a church. Once I heard a church was having difficulty so I started sending money anonymously. A man came to my company looking for a job. He happened to be the son of the pastor of above church. I did not mention I was helping his church. He told his dad about me, the religious fantastic who doesn't go to church.

This ol' boy came to visit. He condemned me for not giving to God's work. I chuckled but said nothing. The building does not make one a Christian.

Had this pastor have been true to God he'd have never treated you that way. To start a conversation with someone you know nothing about and assume they don't tithe in some form shows me they need to get right with God. He also cares little for the souls of any of us. Rarely do we hear a word in our church about giving. I mean maybe once every several years. Giving should always come from the heart, never by being told to do so. As you know.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If one understands that the nature of fallen man (ALL fallen men) is sinfulness, unrighteousness, and unworthiness, then questions like "what about the remote person who has never heard the Gospel?", and "what about the 'innocent' child?", and "what about the righteous Buddhist?" already have their answer.

For no one is righteous. No, not one. None seeketh after God.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kingston
Fewer children will be molested by clergy.

+1. I was raised a Catholic and the Church's dealings have sickened me. So I go this way
Matthew 18:20 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."
I don't really need organized religion. If you live a good, moral life, you'll end up where you're supposed to.

I don't agree with you very often but on this we see eye to eye.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[/quote]
Cite chapter and verse please[/quote]

Romans 7

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

How can a child, retarded person or completely ignorant know anything about sin and whether or not they are committing sin? Babies are born with the original sin of Adam but what can they know or do about it? How are they to choose to ask God to forgive them of this? How can they even have willfully sinned and been aware of it? The only sin they have is what they inherited because they are human and until their minds can understand that they can't be to blame.

Ezekiel 28:15

15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

An infant is born perfect in it's ways and at some point is accountable to God for the sins they may commit. So before that day comes that person is free from sin of their own making. God does not ask us to give an account for the sins of our parents or others. To expect an infant to know what it means to sin is the same as expecting them to know what breaking any law it.

Last edited by Jim1611; 04/03/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Cite chapter and verse please[/quote]

Romans 7

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

How can a child, retarded person or completely ignorant know anything about sin and whether or not they are committing sin? Babies are born with the original sin of Adam but what can they know or do about it? How are they to choose to ask God to forgive them of this? How can they even have willfully sinned and been aware of it? The only sin they have is what they inherited because they are human and until their minds can understand that they can't be to blame.

Ezekiel 28:15

15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

An infant is born perfect in it's ways and at some point is accountable to God for the sins they may commit. So before that day comes that person is free from sin of their own making. God does not ask us to give an account for the sins of our parents or others. To expect an infant to know what it means to sin is the same as expecting them to know what breaking any law it. [/quote]
👍

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s easy for some to love their religion more than they do the people for whom the religion was given. And then some can even end up hurting people with the religion that was given for people, and then wonder why people don’t want to get involved with their religion. Some people give up on religion, or give up on church, because they ran into some church people who seemed to love their church, and love their religion, more than they loved them...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The answer is in the Bible - you have to be perfect, sinless. Since no man has ever been sinless,.

Doesnt Bible tell you Adam was created
without sin?

That part of Christian doctrine troubles me. ..

What about mentally ill people who, through no fault of their own, can't attend church or understand it? Schizophrenics, agoraphobics, people with social anxiety disorders, people with severe learning disabilities. They are tossed into the lake of fire because they were unlucky enough to have malfunctioning brains?

It all seems very unfair and arbitrary.

Strong resemblance to the Nazi state
euthanasia program, coz they only wanted
fit and productive types for the Reich.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Adam was without sin, but sin was in the garden already. How else could he have sinned unless the enemy ( lucifer) was there to tempt?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I was raised in a very legalistic fundamentalist church where they had all sorts of rules that didn’t come from the Bible BUT I also had a group of deeply gracious, loving, and hospitable group around me who represented Christianity well. A particular individual who was legalistic, pompous, and off-putting was a pastor; another who was particularly gracious and kind was also a minister.

That is, for me people are people no matter where I go. For me and my household the observances and rites of collective worship... and that includes putting up with the @$$holes (I know you’ll all be dumbfounded, but at times that includes me) are part and parcel to being in the “called out community” (ecclesia in Greek translated church in NT) and all are used by God to form us into the image His Son.

I’ve got men around me who correct me and adults who take my kids aside and reinforce the teachings of the community so I’m not alone in parenting. Women come around my wife and help her when she has difficulties. The men with whom I have deer camp are mostly brothers from my congregation; some are from other congregations and a couple aren’t from any.

Church is the place that God has ordained that we as believers sharpen one another. That means putting up with crap. I put up with others’ and they mine.

Just like in the rest of life I get returns commensurate with the investment. As long as I keep in perspective that my $h!t stinks just as much as everyone else’s I’m ok.

Just my take.

Page 8 of 26 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,707
Posts18,475,342
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.