Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Jim1611
So we blame religion on the problems of our nation. We should be getting better if that's the case since the church is losing it's influence. We've taken God out of everything for the last 60 years and we still are seeing a decline in morals. Shouldn't that trend be going the other way if it was right to do that? Maybe if we pass a law against religion it would help.

It’s not taking “God” out of everything.... it’s taking common sense, decency, civility and reality out of everything. God has nothing to do with it.
Exactly, these values are not the exclusive domain of Christianity and pretending they are does a major disservice toward their achievement.
No, jack, those values aren't exclusive to Christianity. But the notion of inevitable suffering and the fact that suffering doesn't have to be in vain IS exclusively Christian.

The rest of the World is running around chasing good times and doing all they can to avoid pain & death. When those good times end, they have nothing. They have lost their highest value. It's very sad.

I see you don't know a thing about Buddisism.

Beat me to it...
4 noble truths:
1) Life sucks
2) It sucks because you’re materialistic and vein
3) It doesn’t have to suck
4) Quit being a materialistic self involved [bleep] and it will suck less

Yep, that is Buddhism in a nutshell.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I see you don't know a thing about Buddisism.
Buddhism teaches people the path they believe leads to a cessation of suffering. Christianity teaches us how to embrace suffering as part of the path to salvation.

Christianity says there is no avoidance of Earthly suffering and that it's cause is our fallen nature, something we can't change. Buddhism says the cause of suffering is ignorance, attachment, and aversion. Cessation of suffering is possible through the "right" path. Buddhism says that "Nirvana" (Heaven) can be achieved through “the noble eightfold path: right views, right resolution, right speech, right action, right living, right exertion, right mindfulness, right concentration”. No word in that about embracing the Cross. About as close as Christianity gets to that is the concept of virtue leading to a better life, but not one that excludes suffering.

Yes, I understand Buddhism. I studied it for several years and implemented many of it's practices before realizing that it is at heart self-centered.

You are correct in the respect that Buddhism, like Stoicism, put the responsibility for your condition upon YOU, and doesn't provide the "outs" of blaming the Devil, or God, or some woman who ate an apple.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So if you live a good life, help others whenever possible, do no one any harm. Raise good kids etc... but don’t accept Jesus as lord and savior, you go to hell. But you can be a murdering, child rapist and repent and accept Jesus 15 min before they throw the switch on your ass and you’ll go to heaven?

Makes total sense....

I said basically the same thing in one of these religion threads the other day. There is no way that the omnipotent, all knowing and wisest being in the universe would set up a system of cosmic justice that f#*^ed up. And if he did then he's 100 times more evil than Hitler.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are correct in the respect that Buddhism, like Stoicism, put the responsibility for your condition upon YOU, and doesn't provide the "outs" of blaming the Devil, or God, or some woman who ate an apple.
Buddhism, like Stoicism, gets a lot of things right. Even Christianity teaches that some types of suffering can be avoided through virtue.

I know things are going well for you now, you are crushing life. But it won't always be that way and it won't necessarily be because you did anything wrong.

You're a good dude, but no amount of charity, meditation or anything else is going to save you from suffering at some point.

Christ calls us to pick up our cross as a blessing, not something to be avoided at all cost. It's a tough thing to do. It's why so many are called and so few make it.

And Christianity doesn't guarantee that virtue brings worldly success either. Any religion that does is a flat-out lie.

ETA: I used to follow Lao Tzu, performing his health/spiritual practices daily for several years.

Last edited by Tyrone; 04/04/21.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buddhism, like Stoicism, gets a lot of things right. Even Christianity teaches that some types of suffering can be avoided through virtue.

I know things are going well for you now, you are crushing life. But it won't always be that way and it won't necessarily be because you did anything wrong.

You're a good dude, but no amount of charity, meditation or anything else is going to save you from suffering at some point.

Christ calls us to pick up our cross as a blessing, not something to be avoided at all cost. It's a tough thing to do. It's why so many are called and so few make it.

SMFH...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SMFH...
Are you going to have your sock puppet chime in on this too? laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Which one?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Safariman was an Elder.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Which one?

Oh, man! Decisions, decisions!

I really can't pick a favorite! laugh

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're not alone.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Safariman was an Elder.

LOL

Are you guys having an Easter Egg Hunt down there?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Safariman was an Elder.

LOL

More sad than lol, but it's a valid point.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by CRS
This thread is a great example in the lack of tolerance in freedom of religion. People saying you must believe how I believe...

I completely disagree. This is a great illustration of the beauty of our freedom of religion and of expression.

What I mean is this; we can come on a public site and disagree. We can disagree vehemently. We can even kind of annoy each other.

And then, as Kingston and I have done, we can hang out and laugh and enjoy one another’s friendship around guns and food and story telling.

And not, as in countries that don’t share our western values of freedom, kill each other over it.

If so and so says that I need to do such and such and I disagevoutistree the fact that his god says I’m going to hell matters not a bit to me, especially if I don’t even believe in his god.

Unlike the Left, I do not believe words are violence and I can disagree and still be friends.

As a matter of fact my life would be boring as heck if you all agreed with me. Not to mention we’d all be wrong on many counts...

Once again, isn't freedom of religion great. You have a great outlook, unlike most.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

what does it mean?.....less jets .....bob

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Originally Posted by CRS

Once again, isn't freedom of religion great. You have a great outlook, unlike most.

Unlike most?

Has someone leveled a credible threat of violence against you?

I’d say the fact that you can say my belief in God is complete and utter non-sense and that you want nothing to do with fools who believe such superstition (not that you have... but that you can) without concern for your family, property, or life says a lot.

Do you agree?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw

Originally Posted by CRS

Unlike most?

I’d say the fact that you can say my belief in God is complete and utter non-sense and that you want nothing to do with fools who believe such superstition (not that you have... but that you can) without concern for your family, property, or life says a lot.

Do you agree?

I certainly do.

The fact that it wasn't always the case regarding Christianity, however, also weighs heavily in my assessment.

Either way, have a great Easter Sunday.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by efw

Originally Posted by CRS

Unlike most?

Do you agree?

Credible in who's mind?
In the mind of the believers, yes they threaten atheist with eternal torture during everyone one of these discussions.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Credible in who's mind?
In the mind of the believers, yes they threaten atheist with eternal torture during everyone one of these discussions.

Who cares?

If a person who believes in wood fairies says that I’ve violated the forest and I’m going to be punished by them would I care? (No)

And that isn’t it even a fair comparison; for many here a more fair comparison would be

If a person who believes in wood fairies warns me that if I do X to violate the forest I’ll be in danger of being punished by them... that is, because they believe it to be true and don’t care to see harm come to me.

Either way my original point stands. If you don’t believe the threat to be credible it matters not.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by efw

Credible in who's mind?

Who cares?

If a person who believes in wood fairies says that I’ve violated the forest and I’m going to be punished by them would I care? (No)

And that isn’t it even a fair comparison; for many here a more fair comparison would be

If a person who believes in wood fairies warns me that if I do X to violate the forest I’ll be in danger of being punished by them... that is, because they believe it to be true and don’t care to see harm come to me.

Either way my original point stands. If you don’t believe the threat to be credible it matters not.

So Christians should just get a free pass when they threaten people with eternal suffering if they do not bend to their ways?
What about when they do it to impressionable children?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This thread is all over the place. I will add this;

IMO if there's anyone out there that does not understand that empty pews in the churches of our neighborhoods and the state of our nation do not have direct correlation they're severely deluded. Our freedoms are connected to our nation and fairly unique to it.

John Wesley said "What one generation tolerates the next generation will embrace".

The Bible is full of the words "The people did what was good and right in thier own eyes" or just "what was good to themselves". Just read from the prophets and you'll know where it ends.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all .

GOD BLESS Y'all and HAPPY EASTER

Page 13 of 26 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.