Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ok, I know some of you guys love these BCM's. I know a guy at my club only buys BCM. He likes to run and gun and go to those Yeager seminars too, but he doesn't shoot in our AR competitions. His rifles just aren't accurate enough to compete with the big boys. I can understand liking them for what they are. In our parts are parts thread, I'm thinking a lot of guys rate BCM as top tier. Would you guys get offended if someone bought a BCM and pulled the barrel off and threw it away and put a better barrel on it? Hell, I might even pull the gunfighter stock off, and toss the grip as well. More than likely going to put a raptor charging handle on it too, as I don't like the gunfighter. LPK is going to be Armaspec. The npt trigger may get tossed. What the hell is going to be left that is BCM? The BCG of course and the upper and lower. I might even splurge and buy a BCM handguard, as opposed to my el cheapos I've been running lately, only because it says BCM on it... Your thoughts on BCM. I know MontanaMan (MM) and probably TWR will chime in.. Oh, and before this place shut down 3 days ago, I tried to ask you guys if I should buy this BCM complete lower and upper assembly. I was at the range and trying to decide whether or not I should leave to go and buy it after checking it out the day before. I decided to hit the buy button to see what the hell the hype was all about with the BCM. Having never had any issues with my Spikes, Noveske, Northtech, Colt, Stag, or even my Rogue Defense. Never even a burp, let a lone a hiccup.. The only AR that has even begun to give me fits was my AR10 Armalite when I first got it, I found out it DID NOT like to be ran dry. I can get away with running the AR15's that way with no issues at all, but the Armalite is fincky that way. Especially with factory federal gold medal match. It much prefers my hand loads over anything else...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Not accurate enough for serious social work? Different people have different uses for their ARs. Shooting little groups from a bench isn't on the top of some peoples' priorities.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Not accurate enough for serious social work? Different people have different uses for their ARs. Shooting little groups from a bench isn't on the top of some peoples' priorities.

Accuracy is accuracy, it doesn't matter if you are shooting off a bench or from your hind legs..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don’t really think you’re the BCM type.

But there’s nothing wrong with starting with a solid gun (I prefer Colt) and making it yours. Don’t like chrome lined barrels? Change it. Don’t like the furniture? Change it. Don’t like the trigger? Change it.

There are things I look for in an AR that might never cross your mind. We have different uses or at least ideas of what we want. That’s okay.

I put more emphasis on mags dropping free and inserting easily than if it’ll shoot a 1/4” group. I like to shoot fast and on my feet but I also sit at a makeshift bench and shoot steel at 600 yards so I’m not talking about inaccurate guns either. That’s okay too.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It kinda all depends upon what the main mission is for your rifle.

If the mission is running full tilt, with mag after mag getting emptied in tactical drills...BCM might be your bet, if all you need is minute of bad guy accuracy.

If shooting little bug holes in paper is the main mission, and wear and tear on parts isn't a real critical issue to you...one can customize to their heart's delight.

If the main mission is personal/home defense and occasional maintenance shooting, then that accurate bull barrels isn't going to be the ticket. Short barrels and light weight for tight maneuverability is what you're looking for. BCM may fit here, or not.

Just my $0.02

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Depends on the competitions.

Shoot fast competition, the stock barrel will do fine.

Service rifle match, shooting groups at 600 yards, it's probably best to pull it off, sell it to a run and gun type, and buy a barrel optimized for accuracy.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Uppers in stock notice just a short while ago....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BCM makes excellent products for what they are intended for.

If you're buying (a fully built) BCM rifle in hopes of it being a "precision" rifle, then look elsewhere.

And if you're going to buy it & start changing out parts, then why buy it at all?

I use their stripped uppers when I can get them, (as they are very concentric & thermo-fit pretty much all normal barrel extensions) & some of their other parts & they are very good for any use, I even have one of their built uppers from them & it runs perfect & fills my expectations.................it's a CL hammer forged barrel, & though not a "precision" rifle, it shoots everything pretty well, with good 77/69 grain loads going into an 1.5" or so with a decent scope, but it has a red dot on it so it is what it is.

JMHO, YMMV

MM

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I bought one of the BCM uppers for a defensive carbine franken-build. It's the 14.5" pinned/welded SOCOM profile, with FSB.

It's not a precision rig. My Ballistic Advantage, and DPMS barrels, shoot tighter groups.

What it is, is a solid and reliable setup, with a decent chrome-lined barrel. That's what I was looking for.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,088 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.