Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by gunner500
Well, well, well, i stopped by a buds shop on the way back into town yesterday, we were shooting the crap, i looked over on his deep freezer to see to two 1000 count boxes of small pistol primers, both CCI's, one regular and one mag, i hollered good score buddy!!!!! he laughed, you know old Joe, yeah why? his daddy that recently passed was a gunsmith, i told Joe you had loaded a thousand pistol rounds for folk that go to church with your Mama.
He handed me these and said i'll cover the primers, TWO times! cool i told Mom, she said God Bless Joe and you tell him i said Thank You, pretty cool deal i thought.
Indeed...!
As i was driving away that 'mysterious ways" deal i remember from vacation bible school flashed across my brain pan ; ]
lol

God Moves in a Mysterious Way.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The pre-Bible Christians had the preaching of actual Apostles at first, plus they had the Old Testament.
The Hebrew scriptures meant NOTHING to the Gentiles.
So it was never like the original Christians were without guidance, they didn't come up with their own beliefs.
I believe that guidance from God Himself was available to the “original Christians” as the Apostles clearly taught it was. And I believe that guidance from God Himself is still available to Christians nowadays. Guidance doesn’t only come from scripture and preaching...it didn’t back then and it doesn’t now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pre-Bible Christians had the preaching of actual Apostles at first, plus they had the Old Testament.
Then why was it translated into the language of Gentiles, Greek?
So it was never like the original Christians were without guidance, they didn't come up with their own beliefs.
I believe that guidance from God Himself was available to the “original Christians” as the Apostles clearly taught it was. And I believe that guidance from God Himself is still available to Christians nowadays. Guidance doesn’t only come from scripture and preaching...it didn’t back then and it doesn’t now.
The laws are written on ALL men's hearts by the Holy Spirit. But that is only the most basic moral law. And of course, we all benefit from having that law pointed out and reinforced by our brethren, something that can't happen outside of a community. Without a community, we are vulnerable to the snares of Satan. How easy would it be to follow the Holy Spirit if we were immersed in say, Wahabism?

And of course, the basic moral law doesn't tell much about the specifics of how Christ asked that we worship him.

Politics is War by Other Means
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by Stophel
antlers, it's funny. My idea of what a church should be drives you away.... and your idea of what a church should be drives me away.
Yep. We see things differently regarding this matter. That’s OK with me. People see things differently regarding politics, the economy, certainly religion, and pretty much anything else. To me, the church is most appealing...and ‘Christians’ are most appealing...when grace is most apparent. And Jesus extends grace to all...not just to “the saints”...but also to “the lost.”
Problem is that I’ve never found the latitude given in scripture for the Christian to view God as he pleases or chooses.
It’s telling (and sad) that someone/anyone who professes to be a Christian is completely dependent upon “scripture” to tell them what their own “view” of God is. There were tens of thousands of Christians who knew the God of the New Testament before there ever was a New Testament. They knew that God loved them, and what God had done for them, before a New Testament ever told them so. Some people choose to have a living vibrant relationship with a living resurrected Savior. Others prefer to choose a ‘relationship’ that is dictated to them by what’s between the covers of a book that didn’t even exist when Christianity began. Nor did it exist for the first 300 years of Christianity. Then in the 4th century when the Christian scriptures were bound together with the Hebrew scriptures to become ‘the Bible’...it was kept out of the hands of the people by the Church for another 1200 years. Christians have been without ‘the Bible’ for a whole lot longer than they’ve had it.

Do you find any value in scripture?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Getting back to the original subject of the thread, the decline in church attendance makes society as a whole more vulnerable to the wickedness of the devil.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because of the increasing significance of educated Greek-speaking Jews. And it didn’t even occur until the 3rd century.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.

Do ‘you’ find any value in Christianity itself, apart from scripture...?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
As good a place as any to put this in.

[Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Yes.

Did you discover Christ outside scripture?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.

Did you discover Christ outside scripture?
Yes.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because of the increasing significance of educated Greek-speaking Jews. And it didn’t even occur until the 3rd century.
3rd C BC.

Many of the Greek-speaking Jews were Greek speaking because they were converts.

The Apostles taught the Old Testament to gentile converts to Christianity as well.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
No. Paul said that if it weren’t true I’d was foolish to follow. Stoicism is likely more sound as a code for living.

How did you discover Christ aside from scripture. Was there an experience? An epiphany?

Do you consider yourself to have Gnostic or Mystical leanings?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
hmm, I'll say, you need some basic Bible learning, then something that lets you see the light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Apostles taught the Old Testament to gentile converts to Christianity...
From a historical perspective regarding Israel. Gentiles didn’t care, at all, about the Hebrew scriptures (what we call the Old Testament). It was a covenant that God made with Israel. It was NOT a covenant that God made with Gentiles. Apostle Paul, better than anyone else, understood the stark contrast between what had come before (the Old Covenant made with Israel) and the kingdom that Jesus came to introduce (the New Covenant made with ALL people). Apostle Paul knew the legalism, hypocrisy, self-righteousness, and exclusivity that characterized ancient Judaism would eventually seep into and erode the beauty, simplicity, and appeal of Jesus’ New Covenant. Paul realized, and taught, that Jesus’ followers were accountable to His New Covenant commands. NOT the 600 and something laws in the Old Covenant, NOT the Ten Commandments, and NOT the Mosaic Law. At all. In ANY way, shape, or form.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this:
No. Paul said that if it weren’t true I’d was foolish to follow. Stoicism is likely more sound as a code for living.
Your answer to this:
?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The whole post was an answer to your question.

Do you consider yourself a Gnostic or a Mystic?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by wabigoon
hmm, I'll say, you need some basic Bible learning, then something that lets you see the light.

Antlers or me?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How did you discover Christ aside from scripture.
I learned about Jesus from my grandfather when I was a boy.
Was there an experience? An epiphany?
More like a realization that came gradually, many years later as an adult with a great many evaluated life experiences.
Do you consider yourself to have Gnostic or Mystical leanings?
No.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is this:
Your answer to this:
The whole post was an answer to your question.
Thanks for clarifying that you find no value in Christianity itself apart from scripture. You and I are very much in disagreement with each other regarding this matter. And that’s OK with me. Our disagreement doesn’t diminish the reality of Jesus or the Gospel in any way whatsoever.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Antlers or me?

Any. and all of us.

Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 47 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.