Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 222ND
Anytime someone mentions the word bully it reminds me of Elmer Kieths book “Hell, I was there”. The story about the bully in the book was very entertaining. I’ve retold the story many times. The book should be required reading.

Let's hear the short version. I haven't read that book.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Bullying during recess? Why isn't a teacher monitoring the playground then?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Somehow I don't think this is going to work. A school in England has eliminated recesses and...well, you'll just have to read it.

In an effort to eliminate bullying, a school in England has replaced breaktime playground games with poetry recitations, choir and quizzes. Said Charlotte Whelan, the Hackney New School head teacher (the British equivalent of a principal): “A school without bullying sounds like a utopia, but it is achievable.”

Whether or not reciting Percy Shelley during recess is your idea of utopia, a BBC piece on the school quotes Whelan saying: “It’s long been my belief that we could be doing more for pupils while they are on their breaks. So often you see them aimlessly wandering the playground. We want every second at school to count.”

I’m sure the kids are counting the seconds, too.

Clearly, Whelan is of the belief that kids’ brains shut down the moment they are not engaged in something officially academic. Now the students, aged 11-16, practice sonnets by bards of yore and recite them in the lunch line — or even while eating. For even more fun, Whelan said, they “quiz each other on capital cities.”

Woo-hoo!

The issue here is not just the Dolores Umbridge nature of the administration. It’s the inability of that administration to believe that kids could possibly be learning anything — or not bullying — when they are allowed to goof around. The “teachable moment” notion of child development is so thick here that kids are not allowed to “waste” their time even in between bites.

This notion is wrong. “When they are free to play in their own ways, children practice the most important skills required to move toward adulthood — how to take initiative, make their own decisions, solve their own problems, negotiate with peers and, yes, how to deal with others who aren’t always nice,” says Boston College psychology professor Peter Gray, one of the co-founders of Let Grow with me. “When we prevent them from such opportunities by taking continuous control of their lives, we prevent them from growing up.”

Prevent away! That seems to be the philosophy of those who believe the only way to end bullying is to end any freedom the students enjoyed. Linda James, founder of a nonprofit called Bullies Out, notes in the BBC piece, “Unstructured games can sometimes lead to nasty comments, aggressive behavior or children feeling left out.”

She’s right: some sad feelings — and betrayals and loneliness — are inevitable in childhood (and adulthood!). Talk about your teachable moments! Not that anyone wants kids facing constant cruelty. But learning how to deal with some playground frustration is actually a big life skill it behooves kids to learn.

I doubt it will come as a surprise that another expert quoted in the piece said it is important for schools to create safe spaces, where kids “feel supported and included.”

In other words: Kids will fall behind and hurt one another the second they get the chance, so the only option is to micromanage every interaction — and throw in some sonnets.

That Hackney New School sounds just horrible, what I imagine the world would look like if Julie Andrews (back in her day) would look like. That lady always did make my skin crawl.

I’m pretty sure in Hell they play the “Sound of Music” non-stop.

Maybe I have issues.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
This falls within the same problem they have of trying to make boys more like girls - sit quiet, pay attention in class, study hard.

Boys are not girls, and a lot of the problem with the school environment is that they don't have many opportunities to burn off their masculine energy.

Taking away recess is NOT going to help that.

And, I agree. The best way to deal with a bully is to fight back. You might not win, but you'll get respect.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When my with and I got married the had a son that was 4 years old. When he started to go to kindergarten he would walk the the neighbor kid. My wife noticed bruising on his shins. So the next day when school got out she walked down to where she saw the neighbor kid kicking Jim’s shins. She told me about it when I got home from work. I went up stairs and ask Jim about it. I told him the next time that happens, punch Ben right square in his nose, not his chest, or his arm, hard right in his nose. NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN!.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Anytime someone mentions the word bully it reminds me of Elmer Kieths book “Hell, I was there”. The story about the bully in the book was very entertaining. I’ve retold the story many times. The book should be required reading.

Keith family moved to western MT from Missouri. Boys were about 8 and 11 years old. Bully picked up younger one by his ears. Older one see’s what’s going on and try’s to help. They both get beat up. They go home and dad tells them if they don’t beat up bully within a week he will tan their hides. They pattern bully and lay for him. Priest happens to come by when the beating is taking place. Priest pulls Keith kids off bully and probably saves his life. Bully gets better after extended absence from school. Bully tells all new kids that come to school, that you can pick on anyone you want to around here, but stay away from those Missouri kids cause they’ll just kill you. I forgot to mention, the weapon the Keith boys decided on was some wagon spokes they got from the local blacksmith. I’m not much on typing so I hope you enjoy the story.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Bring back the fist fight and stop protecting bullies.

Easy.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
3rd grade. New school. Me being short and w crooked eye

Some jackass decides to mouth off. Kinda got pushy too.

So i ran him into the corner of the room and grabbed Mrs Black's oak chair....and was gonna crash it over his head.

But she walked in and yelled my full name so I put the brakes on mid swing.

Hauled me to the hall and gave me a paddlin, after the rest of the class came in.

Proly could feel the heat off my face for 20 ft. Man was I pissed.

No problems after that really. Next bastard I wasnt gonna stop teachin a lesson too.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I wasnt popular, wasnt unpopular. Didnt give a chit, made good grades....and got along fine w the diff types....preps, nerds, jocks, stoners.

Just be cool and most folks will leave ya alone.

Cept the groids. They are just trouble.

Had one of them fugg w me in HS. Til i slapped his head off the desk and took his knife.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
English bullies are not like those found in the US. One of my students went to an English school during his 11th grade year while his father was on sabbatical. A British Bully caught up with him and broke his arms and legs and the kid had to spend 4 months in a hospital. The Bully picked him up and through him down a double set of stairs. It is more allowed there. They would go to jail in the present time in an American Public school.

We used to have more bullies and more people eating crow in the old days. We are pretty soft as a nation now. Girls are much more aggressive in their fights now than what they used to be. Girls generally want to leave a permanent mark and understand the consequences so when they go they go for real.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Keith family moved to western MT from Missouri. Boys were about 8 and 11 years old. Bully picked up younger one by his ears. Older one see’s what’s going on and try’s to help. They both get beat up. They go home and dad tells them if they don’t beat up bully within a week he will tan their hides. They pattern bully and lay for him. Priest happens to come by when the beating is taking place. Priest pulls Keith kids off bully and probably saves his life. Bully gets better after extended absence from school. Bully tells all new kids that come to school, that you can pick on anyone you want to around here, but stay away from those Missouri kids cause they’ll just kill you. I forgot to mention, the weapon the Keith boys decided on was some wagon spokes they got from the local blacksmith. I’m not much on typing so I hope you enjoy the story.

Yes, that was good.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My daughter w health problems got bullied. Til her older sister beat the chit out of the bully. Admins and others never said a word.

And no more bullying of her little sis.
My midle kid about 5' 9"....

Proly brought the heat from the back room on that one.
Proly was a 2 punch deal.

But it worked

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Told my boys early on I would kick their ass harder than any kid ever could if I found out the picked on or bullied a kid. Never had to worry as both were very well liked brother's keeper types. They were atheletes in school, but got along with the nerds too.

I let them know it was ok to lose a fight if you are standing up for what is right. Just make the other guy second guess his choice. I don't think either of them fought more than twice each thru school.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Oldest kid said HS sucked. Groids and other girls were horrible. No fights. Never complained either.

Just said F em.

Being taller I think helps avoid getting picked on.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by BLG
Told my boys early on I would kick their ass harder than any kid ever could if I found out the picked on or bullied a kid. Never had to worry as both were very well liked brother's keeper types. They were atheletes in school, but got along with the nerds too.

I let them know it was ok to lose a fight if you are standing up for what is right. Just make the other guy second guess his choice. I don't think either of them fought more than twice each thru school.

Clyde

Yup, if they know you aint gonna take it theyll go someplace else without risk.

Kids remember who isnt a pushover.

Also remember who is cool. Word gets around who should be left alone. At least within a school.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Had a bully that decided I was going to be his target in high school. I was student teaching wood shop and he was in the class. The teacher saw it and punished him a few time witch just made him madder.
The last time he bullied me he came up behind me and hit Me in the ribs as I was ripping a board on the table saw. I turned and hit him right beside the head with the 1x2 about 2 foot long that I was using as a push stick! When he hit the floor I kicked him in the ribs 3-4 times! Funny part is in a class of 24 kids not one saw a thing! Teacher did see it but asked and I told him what happen. Never was punished but years after school the teacher told me he saw and understand what happened and wished he could have did it.

just for Fun
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My oldest son has never really been in a fight that I'm aware of. He mentioned his fraternity had some differences with others, but never said anything about fighting. My youngest son has only been in 2 fights and both were against bullies. The neighborhood bullies mom called the Sheriff's office. And when he hurt a school bully really bad the principle had to call the Sheriff's office. Both ended up being real sheit shows and we got sued for the second one. Teaching your kid how to fight and telling him to never let up till the ahole quits moving might not be such good advice.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by renegade50
Getting your azz whipped or giving out a azz whipping is part of growing the fugg up.

Probably half the males in this country across all age groups aint never had 1 good punch in the face or dealt one out in their life.

Part of growing up I always figured. They're turning young men into effeminate weirdos.

Romans 5:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is bully like show 'em who is boss, and there is bully, like pointless injury.

I know a lot of guys permanently angry by being injured by a strange male of another race.

My trouble was with a pit bull when I was 14. There is nothing you could say to change my mind about pit bulls.

Once a cat jumps on a hot stove, it never jumps on any stove ever again.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when my oldest son was 15 he had a guy in school bullying him, he lived with my first wife. we were fishing down the island and he asked me what to do, I told him to catch him between classes come up behind and hit him as hard as he could, and knock him down and kick him till he stoped moving. A week later my ex called and asked if I told him that, I said yeah, she said it worked but he got arrested and the other kid got hauled off in an amberlamps. he had to spend the rest of the semester in, in-school suspension. she thanked me, no one ever messed with him again after that.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.