C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've no legalistic posts.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This has been a pretty good thread so far, despite a few unnecessary bumps along the way. My apologies for the role that I played in those unnecessary bumps.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Antlers.

Were you ever a member of graybeard outdoors under a different name?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I see nothing to disagree about, "It's" simple.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Tyrone
The way one properly forms their conscience is through scripture and apostolic tradition.
The earliest first century Gentile followers of Jesus didn’t have scripture or apostolic tradition. I disagree with what you said above. Wholeheartedly.
It’s a completely legalistic viewpoint that you present. If you’re comfortable within those confines (legalism) then have at it.

Yes, they had both. They had the Old Testament, the letters started coming in within 10 or 20 years and, better than those, they had the personal testimony of the Apostles and disciples. The earliest Gentile followers were even brought into the synagogues located beyond Israel at first. If you read the Bible, you'd know this.

My view is not legalistic, and I'll explain why (again). Legalism means the law is an end in itself. Follow the law to the letter, then no matter what your interior is like, you are justified. Non-legalism means that the law is an illumination, a guide for the just and to maintain order among the unjust.

I know you will never be convinced of anything happening outside your head. That may work for you (I doubt it), but it's not viable for future generations.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I know you will never be convinced of anything happening outside your head. That may work for you (I doubt it), but it's not viable for future generations.

Recipe for disaster, obviously. Really not even worth discussing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith
If you witnessed to a 30 year old man who had never heard the Gospel, how would you instruct him to grow in his knowledge and faith?
And I wouldn’t take it upon myself to just try and force my beliefs upon him under the guise of ‘witnessing’. ‘If’ he asked me about it, ‘then’ I’d simply tell him the Gospel, and that’d be it.
What parts of the NT would you leave out? Would you leave out almsgiving? That's a rule. What about "Do this in remembrance of me"?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by ctsmith

Recipe for disaster, obviously. Really not even worth discussing.

I’ve been studying Christianity in America for the last sixteen years. Youre statement could be the center piece for an argument for what I’ve found. A few points that stand out from what I’ve learned and the heritage that churches in America draw from can explain the conditions that fostered the OP of this thread.

Most early denominations in America sprang from movements that broke away from the established church. That added a heritage of self definition and reinvention.

As Americans we have a tendency to tear down old things and call them rubbish indiscriminately. Many posts in this thread demonstrate that mindset.

The revivalist movement was heretical. Charles Finney lied to gain pastorship in the Presbyterian church. Then he went rogue and developed a governmental/legal view of the Christian faith. He denied original sin and took John Wesleys doctrine of Christian perfection to its logical end. The direct result of his influence and the many spin offs resulted in that area of New York State being the seed bed for all of the major faux Christian movements that swept across America in the 1800’s.

That is our heritage. In my opinion we need to adopt the spirit of the Renaissance and reformation and call these religions that front as Christianity exactly what they are. False.

From studies that the Barna Group to what Christian Smith wrote about concerning Moralist Therapeutic Deism we can see the result of how these influences have gutted any objectivity concerning the faith and replaced it with emotionalism.

It’s no wonder that young people leave the church in America. It’s no wonder that the atheists and agnostics laugh at Christians and Christianity on these threads.

This thread demonstrates everything that is wrong with the American church. We have Gnosticism, Spiritualism, Mysticism, Rank Fetid Moralism and objectively ignorant cliche Christianity (I’m a good person) attaching false orthodoxy to the name of Christ. Just name the name of Jesus and we are all good and all the same no matter what we believe. It’s like Rodney King united the Christian faith under his cry “can’t we all just get along” at the cost of truth.

In respect to demonstrating those things this thread is wonderful.

Last edited by IZH27; 04/10/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, IZH27, great post.

It all boils down to humanity doing what we've always done - doing what we think is right and what we think God wants instead of what God tells us is right and tells us He wants.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Agreed. It started with our original father and mother. We have to embrace it and deal with it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s OK to disagree. The early church leaders had theological disagreements among themselves and it led to the 1st Church Council of Jerusalem. Their theological disagreements in no way diminished the Gospel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jews considered Gentiles (anyone not a Jew) to be unclean. Gentiles were well aware of this. The earliest Gentile Christians had no scripture at all. None of the Christian scriptures had been written yet, and the Jewish scriptures meant nothing to the Gentiles. The Apostolic Tradition hadn't even been comprised yet, so they didn’t have that either. The earliest Gentile Christians had no scripture and they had no Apostolic Tradition. All they had was the Gospel, as told to them by someone else. You disagree. That’s fine. Our disagreement on this matter doesn’t diminish the Gospel in any way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you witnessed to a 30 year old man who had never heard the Gospel, how would you instruct him to grow in his knowledge and faith?
First of all, instructing him to grow in knowledge and faith when he had “never heard the Gospel” is gettin’ more than a little bit ahead of yourself. And I wouldn’t take it upon myself to just try and force my beliefs upon him under the guise of ‘witnessing’. ‘If’ he asked me about it, ‘then’ I’d simply tell him the Gospel, and that’d be it.
What parts of the NT would you leave out? Would you leave out almsgiving? That's a rule. What about "Do this in remembrance of me"?
Again, ‘if’ he’d “never heard the Gospel,” and ‘if’ he asked me about the Gospel, ‘then’ I’d simply tell him the Gospel, and that’d be it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Our decline in church attendance is reason for the declining society.

Last edited by Lucas1; 04/10/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it possible that the decline in society is the reason for the decline in church attendance...?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it possible that the decline in society is the reason for the decline in church attendance...?
I believe they feed off one another. As usual, life is complicated and there are few simple answers.

Plus we are in the end times. The flow of history is tough to overcome.

Last edited by Tyrone; 04/10/21.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The country, North America, needs a good revival!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

It can go either way. I typed it that way the first time then I edited it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The country, North America, needs a good revival!

I don't think we will see that revival. Sodom & Gomorrah did not get their revival either. God just let them go their own way which is were we are now.

That doesn't mean God loses. He has already won.

Page 21 of 26 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.