Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As Ribka and Eaglemountain have said try intermittent fasting. There is a good book by Dr. Jason Fung which is worth reading before you start.

With the Intermittent Fasting, reducing high sugar foods and exercise (strength and cardio) your A1C should improve.

I’ve been fighting mine for decades, keeping it in the 6.2 range.

GB1

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Research says, over half of all American adults are now insulin resistant. The standard American diet, and the 50-year old myth that saturated fat is bad, is the cause. There are cases where even type 1 diabetes was fixed with diet when caught early. My diet consists of meat and fat, and little else. It works, and is healthy. Anyone who thinks otherwise, needs to do some research.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
IPA's & PA's are the debil........

That much I've figured out.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
You can't eat a S.A.D diet (Standard American Diet) and be healthy. It's impossible. And working-out can only get you so far, and won't reverse heart disease (everyone that eats an American Diet has heart disease). Drugs can't either - only diet can. Diet is king, exercise is queen. But it takes an entire re-examination of what you've grown up with... most people can't do it and just want another drug or fad diet which will change nothing. If you can make the jump it will be life altering.

That's pretty much a summary of the facts. Diet is indeed King. It's a transition to looking at food as fuel and exercise as maintenance for most days. You can still enjoy some things that aren't great for you, but you have to own up to the prescribed limits and choose to stick to them. Something like 1-2 meals a week that aren't good for you will work for many. The rest of the week is more strict, but can still be made to be rather tasty and enjoyable with some planning. Also, find smaller "treat" items you enjoy. These will satisfy that urge but have a minimal impact on your daily food intake. Much better to have a 150 cal bonus snack than a 800cal big-meal blowout.

As for me, I'm about 25lbs below where I used to be, and should be about 10lbs lighter, but am working on it (Covid pounds). To trim it off, I eat around 300-400 calories a day below my normal workday calorie requirement, and then I work out 3-4 times a week. It's not too bad and I feel a lot better than when I'm overeating. I get most of my calories from protein, eggs, meat, nuts, and vegetables/fruits. Most days I try to keep the carbs dialed back pretty hard unless I am about to go lift weights. I need the energy bump on those days and enjoy that rice/potatoes/bread. And I like knowing I'm going to use it up to get stronger. I grab a 200cal protein bar or shake every afternoon to span the 7hrs between lunch and dinner.

A nice trick for the "I need a big dinner plate" feeling is to swap out those starches for extra vegetables and cut the meat portion back a little bit. It's still a big plate of food, just better stuff. You don't have to feel guilty about it. I often do some dinner carbs for the kids, but pass on them myself or just have a little bit. They think it's odd to have a meal with only one or two vegetable offerings. Those microwave steamer bags of vegetables are great. You can drain them, add a touch of melted bacon grease and salt and pepper to create a pretty good side. Salads with meat are huge at my house. Probably 3 nights a week. Might be venison taco salad, might be steak/feta/tomato salads on spinach, might be grilled chicken over spring mix with fruit and avocado.

I eat lighter fare overall than what I grew up with, and it is a change in mindset. I still like tasty food, but found alternate ways to get there. Plus, those occasional big-boy meals taste better when it's time to enjoy one.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Now with even more aplomb
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Seek progress not perfection.

You’ll get there.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Raeford

Have also gotten quite lazy with making my own green tea[controlling sugar], been buying Lipton Citrus which has to end asap

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by yukon254
Research says, over half of all American adults are now insulin resistant. The standard American diet, and the 50-year old myth that saturated fat is bad, is the cause. There are cases where even type 1 diabetes was fixed with diet when caught early. My diet consists of meat and fat, and little else. It works, and is healthy. Anyone who thinks otherwise, needs to do some research.

Yup

insulin resistance is the enemy, not carbs, or fats

Mid chain or medium fatty acids, coconut oils, olive oils are good for you

Another myth, --- apples are good for you, ----- fructose is a killer

if you need to snack ie. quick energy --- use citric acid based, or vinegar, acetic acid based snacks.

Last edited by Etoh; 04/12/21.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Any beer worth drinking is bad for you. Any low carb "beer" isn't worth drinking.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

...yep, and is my biggest downfall - I do love my IPA's grin

Some have commented above on breakfast ideas - one I do is oatmeal with a couple scoops of protein powder added. Chocolate protein powder with a small scoop of peanut butter in oatmeal makes a decent tasting breakfast that seems to hold me pretty well.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Etoh

Yup

if you need to snack ie. quick energy --- use citric acid based, or vinegar, acetic acid based snacks.

Dear Ethanol:

Could you explain why? Apparently I've forgotten some things from my nutrition and physiology courses...

John

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Michelob Ultra Pure Gold. Only 85 calories and 2.5 grams of carbs in each frosty ice cold bottle. I love the stuff.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was 292lbs. Now 230 and in great shape at 61. Buddy, you need to eat meat and veggies and cut out the pasta, potatoes, and bread. I do 30 minutes on the elliptical machine 3-4 times a week with 20-30 minutes of weights. You won't recognize yourself in the mirror in a year. Hard work will pay off in spades. Good luck!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by antlers

Michelob Ultra Pure Gold. Only 85 calories and 2.5 grams of carbs in each frosty ice cold bottle. I love the stuff.

Either you have very poor taste in beer or you're baiting me. Or both. grin

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by Etoh

Yup

Dear Ethanol:

Could you explain why? Apparently I've forgotten some things from my nutrition and physiology courses...

John

Citric acid and acetic acid are taken directly into the Krebs (tricarboxylic acid) to be used as energy, no need for insulin as cell membrane transport, so they do not cause insulin resistance

medium chain fatty acids, eg. olive oil provides as much if not more energy than equal wt, sugar with no insulin stimulus. not immediate, 1-2 hours, but energy lasts for 6-8 hrs. vs. sugar at 30 to 45 mins.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by antlers

Either you have very poor taste in beer or you're baiting me. Or both. grin
lol

I like steaks cooked medium well too. And I like good bourbon with ice and Diet 7•Up too.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're a sick puppy, no doubt. laugh

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by JGray

...yep, and is my biggest downfall - I do love my IPA's grin

Some have commented above on breakfast ideas - one I do is oatmeal with a couple scoops of protein powder added. Chocolate protein powder with a small scoop of peanut butter in oatmeal makes a decent tasting breakfast that seems to hold me pretty well.

great combo--- the protein powder provides all the essential amino acids for your daily needs, you should add more peanut butter (no sugar of course) it contains more tryptophan which helps the melotonin/circadian rhythm part----- ie. increases cortisol pool, decreases stress, reduces craving for sugar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like almonds, cashews, pecans, and walnuts too. They are loaded with energy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are talking about protein powder to actually drink, my crew really likes Met-Rx Natural Whey chocolate, as it uses Stevia instead of Sucralose. The kids will sometimes use it in a shaker bottle for breakfast. Add some powdered peanut butter and it tastes like a Reese cup. There's a lot of terrible tasting protein powders out there, but this isn't one. Can order it from Wal-Mart or Amazon.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,567
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.