Home
Posted By: Pharmseller Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
I talked to my doc last week. Cholesterol is good (I’m on a statin so it’s working), BP is good (lisinopril, so that’s working), but my A1c is an RCH from diabetes. I’ve been a fat fûck for the last decade (gained 30 in the last 3 years) and the bill is due.

Tired of being tired. I can still hunt but it takes a lot more out of me. Sat down with wifey. Made the commitment to eat better and move more. Sure, I’ve made the promise before, but the specter of a physical breakdown seemed much more remote. Now I have a piece of paper that says “You’re killing yourself, dumbass.”

We’re gonna pay off the house next week. Financially set in IRA/401K, both of us. Great jobs, both of us. Great marriage. Now I just need to learn how to put the fork down.

Kinda looking forward to see if I can do it. I know what the consequences are if I don’t.

P
Good on ya, many are facing the same situation with aging....

Mike
Posted By: rem141r Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
i got an extra 25 i don't need. it don't come off at 59 like it did at 39.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
One heavy guy to another clean up your diet and exercise. The pounds will fall off and you won’t stress your body trying to lose it quickly. My bet you will feel better and continue the lifestyle. Good luck.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Pharmseller, activity, as well as diet, is key. Not just aerobic, but weights or some other form of resistance training. Past 40, people lose muscle mass unless they work to maintain it. A pound of muscle at rest burns 21 calories in 24 hours. A pound of fat only burns 9. So start working out, but start gently. The older you are, the easier it is to hurt yourself, as I'm painfully aware. Really cut back on the sweets, too. The less sugar you eat, the less you tend to want it. But don't deny yourself a treat on occasion. Just make it small and infrequent. Best of luck to you.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I talked to my doc last week. Cholesterol is good (I’m on a statin so it’s working), BP is good (lisinopril, so that’s working), but my A1c is an RCH from diabetes. I’ve been a fat fûck for the last decade (gained 30 in the last 3 years) and the bill is due.

Tired of being tired. I can still hunt but it takes a lot more out of me. Sat down with wifey. Made the commitment to eat better and move more. Sure, I’ve made the promise before, but the specter of a physical breakdown seemed much more remote. Now I have a piece of paper that says “You’re killing yourself, dumbass.”

We’re gonna pay off the house next week. Financially set in IRA/401K, both of us. Great jobs, both of us. Great marriage. Now I just need to learn how to put the fork down.

Kinda looking forward to see if I can do it. I know what the consequences are if I don’t.

P

Carbs and sugar, get rid of them ASAP!
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Not so much put the fork down as be pretty careful of what's on it on the way to your mouth. I kind of played around with lowering my A1c from 10 a few years ago, got it under 7, but stayed right there. Finally got serious and cut out most carbs, and work out more. It's been 6.2 for a few quarters, planning on bringing it down a bit more.
Posted By: antlers Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Eat clean and increase physical activity. Consistently. Low carb is a good way to go too.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Bet you will lose those meds once you have cleaned the diet up and start exercising.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
for me, it's drinking beer all day, lost 25lbs but gained it back the last two months since I stopped working. now I need to start walking or find something to get me some more exercise, maybe get an extra girlfriend...
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
This isn't as hard as you might think. I started exercising regularly, weekday mornings at the YMCA about 8 years ago. My cholesterol is unbelievably low but my blood sugar requires me to take a pill every morning. I cut some food out completely, I have moderated some others and no drama. You've got this, you'll do fine.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Not so much put the fork down as be pretty careful of what's on it on the way to your mouth. I kind of played around with lowering my A1c from 10 a few years ago, got it under 7, but stayed right there. Finally got serious and cut out most carbs, and work out more. It's been 6.2 for a few quarters, planning on bringing it down a bit more.

isnt that number a good one?.......I thought 6.7 and below were good....bob
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by stxhunter
for me, it's drinking beer all day, lost 25lbs but gained it back the last two months since I stopped working. now I need to start walking or find something to get me some more exercise, maybe get an extra girlfriend...

These?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Buy yourself some quality workout equipment. (You have the money....Grins)

Make a place in your house for it, and start using it 4 days a week.

It’s expensive, maybe look for used, or closeout from a health club. New is nice !

For me, having quality workout equipment has been helpful...I’ve torn up 3 Bowflex machines over the years.

This piece of equipment has kicked my ass.

https://totalbodyexperts.com/spirit...OgjBQvZ38NZkDzj9gTR6Phx_-RxoCsjUQAvD_BwE

🦫
Originally Posted by BobMt

Dr told me he'd like to see it at 6.0 or lower, Eye Dr said 6.5 or lower to avoid eye trouble.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
maybe get an extra girlfriend...

Rog,

My three hoe’s keep me in shape!!!

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: Boise Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
I read an article where it stated with age we have a tendency to substitute our thirst response with hunger and that was put forth as the reason for snacking and weight gain. Regardless if that is true how about substituting a large tumbler of water for snacks? The water substitution has been working for me.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Best wishes on your quest - looking forward to the good news.
Posted By: JGray Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21

I had a doc tell me I was borderline diabetic with low insulin resistance with A1c at 5 9 and 6.0 is diabetes. I've heard others say diabetes is at 7.0, so I'm unsure what the magic number is. When I asked the doc how to prevent becoming diabetic, he suggested watching my carb intake and place more emphasis on weights/resistance training vs cardio for exercise. I try to do that anyway but really focused on that going forward. Within a few months, my A1c which been a steady 5.9 for years dropped to 5.7 and they tell me it's just fine now. If I didn't like beer so much, I'd probably be skinny grin
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
I've noticed with a chronic lack of sleep I eat more for energy I should be getting from being rested. YMMV
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
I have a small home gym with a weight set. I now have a 3x/week routine to follow with walking the other two days. Never been much of a sweets guy, but dinner is my downfall. I love a big meal in front of the TV! Great big ribeye with a baked tater and sliced French bread, holy shît. I make a damned good steak.

Grilled elk steaks and a salad tonight. Palomas with diet Squirt. Can’t get too crazy.

P
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
I'm really starting to believe it's the carbs and sugars like many others here suggested,

Most people that I know of, who made big positive changes to their health, all did it with focusing on those two things.

but, carbs are large part of my diet it seems.....So, I understand the frustration...........
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Keep the ribeyes coming. Bye-bye potatoes and breads.

Maybe a sweet potato every now and then.

Snickers, Butterfingers and ice cream - sayonara

🦫
Posted By: jdunham Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I'm really starting to believe it's the carbs and sugars like many others here suggested,

Most people that I know of, who made big positive changes to their health, all did it with focusing on those two things.

but, carbs are large part of my diet it seems.....So, I understand the frustration...........

I will attest to cutting the carbs and sugar changing my life 3 years ago and causing 40 pounds to literally fall off. Get through the first 2 weeks or so and the carb cravings will disappear and it becomes easy to stick to it. If I eat like crap (carbs and sugar) for more than 2 days in a row now I feel almost sick and can't get back to my way of eating fast enough. The extended strays from eating well are almost always around holidays. I can eat whatever I want to here and there when I have an urge with no ill effects but if I keep eating that way my body lets me know to knock it off. Good place to be and my Dr is happy.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

These?

budlight, shiner sometimes.
Posted By: WMR Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Good for you. Around your same age, I’m 60 lb lighter than my highest weight. Like most fat guys, I just ate too much of the wrong foods and drank high calorie drinks. Now I’m a water drinker and have cut out (mostly) the junk food from my life. I also do some strength training. I plan to keep taking a hunting trip or two each year until I no longer can. These trips are, for me, powerful motivators when I’m tempted to skip a workout or hit the ice cream. Best of luck.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by jdunham

I will attest to cutting the carbs and sugar changing my life 3 years ago and causing 40 pounds to literally fall off. Get through the first 2 weeks or so and the carb cravings will disappear and it becomes easy to stick to it. If I eat like crap (carbs and sugar) for more than 2 days in a row now I feel almost sick and can't get back to my way of eating fast enough. The extended strays from eating well are almost always around holidays. I can eat whatever I want to here and there when I have an urge with no ill effects but if I keep eating that way my body lets me know to knock it off. Good place to be and my Dr is happy.

Cool story, care to give us examples and ideas of things to do?

I'd have to completely revamp my entire way of eating, and Gawd I love bread......
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
I have been lucky with the weight issue! I got to 190# a few years ago. Had no energy. I went to grazing , no sit down meals. Graze a little when hungry. I also substituted, fruit for sweets. Been holding 165# for a few years now! Just a few changes makes all the difference in the world! Pharm, keta says hello, he is reading over my shoulder, like a troll!
Posted By: rong Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
[quote .......and Gawd I love bread......
[/quote]

Me as well.
What are some examples of breakfast for you guys who have cut out carbs?
I typically am out the door with a thermos of coffee and a bagel and eat while driving to a jobsite.
Really cant find anything else to keep me full till lunch.So it's partially convienence as well.
Posted By: MPat70 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Tape a reminder to the refrigerator door. It works 👍
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Nobody here statistically has blood numbers as good as I do, not even up for debate. Even if you are twenty and I’m a senior citizen, my numbers won’t be beat.

At minimum every day do some jumping jacks, pushups, and walking. Get rid of night shade vegetables, fungi, and most sugar out of your diet, take 2-5 tablespoons of Avacodo oil per day, eat your big meal at lunch and soup for dinner.

Have a sweet potato as a bedtime snack then don’t eat again after you clean your teeth at night.

Live long !

Originally Posted by MPat70
Tape a reminder to the refrigerator door. It works 👍

Tape a mirror to the fridge.
Posted By: Angus55 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
WMR , I like your story, this is the way it is, push back on the food. I am and have been big guy, played a lot of football , and was a steel worker for 35 years, nothing I couldn't bend or lift. I weighed 308 when I had both knees replaced year in a half ago. I lost 46 pounds after and was rock hard again, then came these last holidays and I have put back on 20# and have started today to get it off and I know by May I will be in the 250 range, it is all in your head, just got to get pissed and do it, I will be 66 in two months, can't be fat and old,,, Ha
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
This is not all. This means you have the predisposition. You do not just lose 20 pounds and it's over. This is lifestyle change. As a diabetic I have to keep track of carbs and worry about food and eat when I am not hungry sometimes to keep my sugars where they need to be.

Every time you put something in your mouth its an insulin response.

Best i can offer is lose weight if you can and cut way down on sugar and pasta and bread. Read food labels. Keep an eye on your sugar and if it gets high exercise asap to get it down.

There is also a gene related issue that is not well understood. Its not as simple as "you got fat so you are diabetic."

It's a very long battle.
I'm 68, got under 200 lbs last summer for the first time in nearly 30 years. I hit the gym an average of 5 days a week with some hiking on off days. I do some strength training at the gym, but bad shoulders and a trick knee limit what I can safely do there. After the weight machines, I alternate days on the treadmill and eliptical. I don't run on the treadmill because of the knee, set it to 3.5 mph, raise the platform to 15 degrees and walk/hike for 5 minutes, drop it down to 12 degrees for another 22 minutes and then level it out as a cool down for a total of 30 minutes. I use the built in heart monitor to keep tabs on heart rate and try to hold it under 150 bpm. There have been times when it's gotten as high as 160, but not often. There was a athletic younger guy watching a while back who asked me what I was trying to do. I told him so I could keep up with the boys when we go hunting, said that's a piece of cake when you get to 10,000 feet in the mountains. His answer, "I don't want to go to the mountains".
Posted By: smallfry Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Stay off the carbs, eat less, stop eating after 3pm
Posted By: Brad Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Watch the documentaries "Forks Over Knives" and "Game Changers" as a couple of good places to start. Read the book The China Study. You can't eat a S.A.D diet (Standard American Diet) and be healthy. It's impossible. And working-out can only get you so far, and won't reverse heart disease (everyone that eats an American Diet has heart disease). Drugs can't either - only diet can. Diet is king, exercise is queen. But it takes an entire re-examination of what you've grown up with... most people can't do it and just want another drug or fad diet which will change nothing. If you can make the jump it will be life altering.
Posted By: nomad_archer Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Great first step saying your done with it. I've tried the no carb, low carb, low sugar, keto.... Blah blah blah diets and while effective they weren't long term sustainable for me. The best success I've found was through flexible dieting that focused on balanced macros instead of eliminating a macro nutrient group entirely. If it fits your macros worked aka iffym for me. I feel better and way more energy than I did on keto or the low carb stuff. Consider different approaches and find what works best for you.

You've taken the first step and said this isn't going to work anymore. Next up balance your nutrition and sort that out. Ease into working out. It will help but isn't required. Your nutrition will make or break everything. Good luck, you got this.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
nothing works without a plan
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Cut carbs out of your diet and the weight will fall off. I lost 17 lbs. in one month last year on a keto diet. I still keep carbs to a bare minimum and have not gained it back.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Carbs and sugar are the biggest issue for most people , but it is a lot more difficult to eliminate them than people realize. For instance, a cup of milk has at least a tablespoon of sugar in it. Learning to read labels on your food goes a long way toward altering your diet. I've been up and down the last 3 years especially since I retired and I'm carrying about 30 lbs I need to get rid of. My wife has a sweet tooth and brings home way too many sweets and I have very little ability to resist them- but I'm trying harder every day.

Definitely need to start exercising more and drinking more water instead of snacking in place of water consumption... haven't had my A1c checked for a bit, but a couple years ago my doc told me I was Pre Diabetic, so I'm assuming I'm dangerously close to having problems very soon... stats say that 70% of Pre Diabetics end up Diabetic and I don't want to go through that if I can help it. Diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol run in my family so I need to be extra watchful...

Bob
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
If I had an answer, I would not be overweight!

Good luck with it!
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/11/21
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Cut carbs out of your diet and the weight will fall off. I lost 17 lbs. in one month last year on a keto diet. I still keep carbs to a bare minimum and have not gained it back.

Good to see you back, boss!
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by 12344mag

P

Carbs and sugar, get rid of them ASAP!

Yup. Think KETO.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Try switching to Macadamia Milk. Before you know it, you'll fit into your wife's clothes.
Posted By: BOWHUNR Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Hang tough man! I've lost 70 lbs. over the last 10 months by getting away from eating crap, exercise and cutting WAY back on drinking. I won't lie, that first month was tough, but when you see the weight coming off and you start to feel better it will motivate you even more. At least it did me. I am 225 now for the first time since the 90's and would like to drop 20 more to reach my ideal weight. It's hard work, but well worth it in the long haul. Good luck!!
Posted By: ribka Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
intermittent fasting

and am sure you know the deal about carbs and lots of water . Only salads or veggies for supper.

fasting helps develop a different relationship to food so you're not just shoveling in every day even after you're full.

get "strength after 50" and change how you work out and HIT. training

alcohol puts on weight, especially around the stomach, really fast

it sux after 50

P
Posted By: 16bore Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Gotta make health a hobby.
Posted By: CBB Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Good luck, it you want it bad enough you'll do it.
Posted By: Lonny Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by rong

Me as well.
I typically am out the door with a thermos of coffee and a bagel and eat while driving to a jobsite.
Really cant find anything else to keep me full till lunch.So it's partially convienence as well.

I dropped 25 lbs that I had gained over the past 20 years and started the loss by eating a boiled egg and 2 microwavable small turkey sausages for breakfast.

Like you, I used to be a bagel eater for breakfast. The bagel for breakfast had me shaking and starving by 9 AM. Once I got past the first week or two on the boiled egg and turkey sausage breakfast, I could easily make it until lunch and not be shaking from hunger.

Once you get off the bread and carbs, you'll be less hungry and feel much better. You'll drop pounds too.
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Weight training! Muscle burns calories. You'll need energy to do the workouts - nothing wrong with complex carbs and you can't do without. A few years back I saw a dietician (and exercise physiologist for other issues) and got advice for weight gain (muscle). I wasn't eating all that well - high calorie bad food but I still needed a high calorie intake of the right food (complex carbs, good fats). Even with the large number of calories, the first thing that happened was my weight actually went down as the fat burned off - and that was from doing weights. After a year or so I gained muscle and some fat (you have to overdo the calories to know that you are at least getting enough) so did a course of HIITS - you drop the calorie intake and do high intensity workouts mainly with light weights and has an aerobic factor to it. It shifts the fat really quick and you don't loose the muscle. It's a torturous workout though.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Rog,

🤣🤣🤣🤣

I choose the hoe on the right. I like that its got two working ends.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21

It's easy ........ Less carbs, more walking.

At 61, I struggle with the carbs a bit but did walk over 10kms today. You will be surprised at how fast you will feel better with an hour of brisk walking every day.

The walking really paid off last fall on a Nfld moose hunt. On the 1st day the guides were sizing us old guys up seeing who can walk and who can't go far. On the 2nd day, my guide took me for a 16km route march over a huge bog. No problems Shot a smaller bull on the way.

Start walking! smile
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
No one believes I broke all my previous biking records at 65, until I say I cut carbs at 64 and lost 30 pounds.

My follow up joke is that after 20 years of having a belly, I was repeatedly freighted by the sight of a pair of feet in the shower with me.

Then they as if I was afraid of my own dick.... NO the dick did not scare me, but the feet scared me for months, until I got used to seeing those two big feet in the shower with me.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
I hope you are as serious as you sound. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: Otter Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
As many have said, low carb is the only "diet" that has ever worked for me. 20+ years ago I hit 310#. Found the book "Protein Power" by Michael R and Mary Dan Eades, and it sounded good and something I could stay with for a while. Followed it pretty carefully (yeah, I cheated some) for several months, got down to 268# and figured I could cheat just a little more . . . next thing I knew I was staring at 350#. Went back and revisited the low carb way of eating (last June) and am back down to 269#. Giving up most if the carbs is really, really hard but if I can do it almost anybody can. Good luck !!!

BTW - I'm 69 years old.
Posted By: rong Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by Lonny

Me as well.

I dropped 25 lbs that I had gained over the past 20 years and started the loss by eating a boiled egg and 2 microwavable small turkey sausages for breakfast.

Like you, I used to be a bagel eater for breakfast. The bagel for breakfast had me shaking and starving by 9 AM. Once I got past the first week or two on the boiled egg and turkey sausage breakfast, I could easily make it until lunch and not be shaking from hunger.

Once you get off the bread and carbs, you'll be less hungry and feel much better. You'll drop pounds too.

Thing is,the bagel holds me over till lunch,tried oatmeal and I was starving by 9;30.
I do drink alot of coffee in the am.
Will try the egg
Posted By: EdM Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by jdunham

My wife and I with the same experience. We can't eat a steak anymore, a small bun-less burger if we want grilled beef. We do make a pizza every couple of weeks as our Friday night splurge. We are each down 35#. We both need to drink less alcohol though.
You might want to investigate 16/8 intermittent fasting.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21

Diabetic BiL, mid 50’s, lost a lot of weight swimming at the Y, looks great for like 3 years now.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
It's been said a million times, but is worth repeating.

You can't outrun a bad diet.

Start there, add exercise as you go, but be careful because a lot of exercise will make you hungry, and then you are back to surplus calories.

Just eat plants and animals. Nothing with a nutritional label.

25# will go quick.
Posted By: Futura Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
I’m in the camp with those that recommend cutting down on carbs. You can do it In steps. Cut out soda and junk food first if you eat that stuff. Then start only eating whole grains (brown rice, quinoa). Then stop eating carbs after 5 pm and eat your carbs earlier in the day. My triglycerides dropped from the 400-500 range down to 105.
Posted By: kingston Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

Just eat plants and animals. Nothing with a nutritional label.

Sig line material!
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
You can do it. Beat it one day at a time.

My slogan is "Win the day".
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
In August of 2013 I was 57, not in particularly good shape, decided I was gonna ride a bicycle 2,000 miles to NY State the following summer. Took a bicycle off the garage wall that had been mostly unused for 25 years. When I started 7 miles was a long way.

Did my first 100 mile day in December of that year, been on bicycles ever since. With my knees I can’t hardly run non stop around a city block, but I can put in 40 miles on a bicycle no problem, and on rides I can hang in with twenty or thirty somethings far better than I ever could on foot.

So this is a plug for bicycles, they allow a degree of athleticism I thought was gone forever far into old age.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
If you do keto and actually do it right and don’t cheat, if you are significantly overweight, I’ll almost guarantee that you will lose 30 pounds in the first month.

It’s amazing how little food you need and how the cravings and hunger pangs go away. Friday, I cut out early to lay some sod. It rained a little, just enough to make it so I couldn’t get in back yard, and had to hump the sod out there myself. I hauled and laid three pallets of sod (1350 square feet) and finshed about 8:00 pm. I went hard at it all day because I was afraid it was about to rain more. I was too dirty to go inside. I didn’t eat. The last time I had eaten was at 6:00 p.m. the day before. I wasn’t hungry. I had no cravings. My energy levels didn’t crash and it really didn’t hit me at all until about the last half hour of work. When I got done I checked my watch and had done about 27,000 steps, around 13 miles, most of it carrying heavy sod. All while going on a 26 hour fast. Didn’t even think about food the entire time.

That’s keto. Cravings and hunger seem to disappear.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Sounds like I am some common company. I gained about 30 lbs in the last 4 years. I know that fix but I am lazy, lack motivation and make excuses. I get busy and grab fast food. I get busy and neglect exercise. I know ai need to act, I don't want that wake up call to hit like my friend that had a heart attack (survived with good results) since there is no guarantee I would come through it.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21

P

I've got the same problem. Health issues and taking lots of prednisone. I've put on an extra 50 the last 3 years and I was already overweight before that. If I don't get it off I'm not going to get my life back. Now my blood sugar is starting to creep up and it's always been good before.

My rheumatologist has been recommending gastric sleeve. He says they do it for a lot of patients with inflammatory autoimmune disease that have been on steroids long term. Says it's the best way to lose lots quickly but then you still have to work to keep it off.

Bb
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Go low carb.
Weight will fall off of you like magic.
You have to be strict though and many people just don't have the willpower.
Nothing will strip the fat off quicker.
Posted By: 30338 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by JoeBob
If you do keto and actually do it right and don’t cheat, if you are significantly overweight, I’ll almost guarantee that you will lose 30 pounds in the first month.

It’s amazing how little food you need and how the cravings and hunger pangs go away. Friday, I cut out early to lay some sod. It rained a little, just enough to make it so I couldn’t get in back yard, and had to hump the sod out there myself. I hauled and laid three pallets of sod (1350 square feet) and finshed about 8:00 pm. I went hard at it all day because I was afraid it was about to rain more. I was too dirty to go inside. I didn’t eat. The last time I had eaten was at 6:00 p.m. the day before. I wasn’t hungry. I had no cravings. My energy levels didn’t crash and it really didn’t hit me at all until about the last half hour of work. When I got done I checked my watch and had done about 27,000 steps, around 13 miles, most of it carrying heavy sod. All while going on a 26 hour fast. Didn’t even think about food the entire time.

That’s keto. Cravings and hunger seem to disappear.

Experienced the same thing with it. I try to do it pretty strict about 1 to 2 months per year. After that if I watch carbs I tend to keep weight off pretty easy. Convinced that carbs, corn sugar, bread, cereal, tortillas, chips, soft drinks including diet are all killing us. Lot of great keto ideas out there for eating while on the run. Just takes effort to learn it and live it. You will drop pounds fast with it though if you actually stick to it.
Posted By: benchman Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Sounds like a good move. The fact is, you can't beat father time. You CAN, slow him down some though. I'm a weightlifter, and get to chart my decline in my workout logs. That's a lot of fun. My problem is I keep LOSING weight. Not a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's muscle. I eat well and drink less. Down about 4 pounds of bodyweight in the last year, but about 40 pounds in bench. Pretty frustrating.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Good luck.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Good luck with loosing weight, I can't manage to stick with a diet long enough to see any loss. For 3 weeks I punished myself on a strict diet to lose 2 pounds. Exercising is the best way to lose weight, it's hard to eat and exercise at the same time.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Bad habits die hard.

Bad health and you will die even harder.

I eat more greens, beans, rice, and beets than any normal man should.

Pick up a hobby like laying block or stone maybe.

Drink beer on ice with water added. Hydration is 90% of my problem. Who cares if it tastes like watered-down Budweiser, it was garbage in the first place.

Fundamentally change what you enjoy to what you enjoy as physical hobbies that involve more activity. You said you liked to hunt. Assuming you do not already shoot a bow, pick up archery and practice for an hour twice a day. Walking back and forth to targets is still more exercise than watching TV.

Build a deck, build a shed.

My doctor told me two years ago that I had gallstones and probably would need surgery. She also told me I had super high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I was 56 years old, 6'-5" and about #250.

She told me to try eating beets (gallstones), hydrate more, eat better, and cut way down on the booze.

Last time I checked my blood pressure it was 117 / 68. Gallstones seem to be gone. I usually come out of winter now weighing out 235 and will hit about 210 by summer.

I did the low-carb diet thing years ago when I had an office job. It worked very well, but I lost my joy for meat... because it's about the only thing I ever ate.

Vegetables, beans, beets and rice with added meat and fish are my baseline now.

Good luck to you. You are about to make a fundamental shift in your life...

Or not.
Posted By: Angus1895 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
The calories in alcohol 🍺 is what keeps me portly.

I went gluten free, love grilled meat and spinach.

I gave up alcohol for 20 days. Now at night after dinner I drink decaf lnstead of another cocktail.

I still have a few cocktail s but limiting alcohol calories is gonna be the key 🔑 to getting this lard off me gut.
Posted By: yukon254 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Im the same age as you. Got my wake up call last year. I have always been very active so weight wasnt really a problem. My diet was. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Long long story short, my best advice to you is to start researching low carb, or even zero carb diets. I take no medications of any kind, my RA symptoms are gone, and Ive never felt better. The statins you are on will kill you. So much information out there now. Start by watching some of Dr Nadirs videos. Dr Paul Mason is another one. There are dozens more. I can tell you it works, as can thousands of others. The doctors at Paleomedicina in Hungary have probably done more studies on it than anyone. Check them out. Do it with an open mind and forget everything you have ever been told about nutrition. Believe it or not, this isnt new. A doctor from WW1 era wrote a book about it. Book is called Strongs Medicine. He was helping people way back then, the same way. Good luck and remember, diets never work. Ever. You have to change the way you live and think. Carbs are the biggest killer in north america, and inflammation is at the root of all disease. Science is clear on that now.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Best diet that I know of: Reach for your mate instead of your plate.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
This is not all. This means you have the predisposition. You do not just lose 20 pounds and it's over. This is lifestyle change. As a diabetic I have to keep track of carbs and worry about food and eat when I am not hungry sometimes to keep my sugars where they need to be.

Every time you put something in your mouth its an insulin response.

Best i can offer is lose weight if you can and cut way down on sugar and pasta and bread. Read food labels. Keep an eye on your sugar and if it gets high exercise asap to get it down.

There is also a gene related issue that is not well understood. Its not as simple as "you got fat so you are diabetic."

It's a very long battle.

Until folks understand that everything you put in your mouth has an insulin response, they are just "exercising in circles."

Only one type of diabetes, no pancreatic function

Every body has type II, its just more observable in some folks.

Insulin resistance (it is an allergic response) is created by continually challenging the pancreas----- snacking.

arthritis (pick a variety) is allergic response from wheat and carbs.

Think of exercise as an increase in circulation--- not a way to loose wt.

Exercising increases the basal metabolic rate of the body. so now your eating less energy sources (not going to call them carbs. protein ---- if your body needs energy it will use other pathways to convert what food sources are there. )

without that continued increase of basal metabolic rate , you'll put it right back on, (the gene factor, )

have your thyroid checked, and when they give you bs about TSH, tell them you want it anyway, or find another health care provider.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21

there are two different numbers, one group sad below 7 is good, the other group is a little more agressive. at 6.5
6.2 is good for a diabetic, 10 is the drizzles.
Fasting is essential-- it "resets" the insulin production, and the carrier sites at the cell level do no become allergic to it.

Every 24 hrs. almost half of the world has fasted for an average. of 8 hours. Nobody died from low glucose.
Posted By: GRF Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
As Ribka and Eaglemountain have said try intermittent fasting. There is a good book by Dr. Jason Fung which is worth reading before you start.

With the Intermittent Fasting, reducing high sugar foods and exercise (strength and cardio) your A1C should improve.

I’ve been fighting mine for decades, keeping it in the 6.2 range.
Research says, over half of all American adults are now insulin resistant. The standard American diet, and the 50-year old myth that saturated fat is bad, is the cause. There are cases where even type 1 diabetes was fixed with diet when caught early. My diet consists of meat and fat, and little else. It works, and is healthy. Anyone who thinks otherwise, needs to do some research.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
IPA's & PA's are the debil........

That much I've figured out.
Posted By: JPro Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by Brad
You can't eat a S.A.D diet (Standard American Diet) and be healthy. It's impossible. And working-out can only get you so far, and won't reverse heart disease (everyone that eats an American Diet has heart disease). Drugs can't either - only diet can. Diet is king, exercise is queen. But it takes an entire re-examination of what you've grown up with... most people can't do it and just want another drug or fad diet which will change nothing. If you can make the jump it will be life altering.

That's pretty much a summary of the facts. Diet is indeed King. It's a transition to looking at food as fuel and exercise as maintenance for most days. You can still enjoy some things that aren't great for you, but you have to own up to the prescribed limits and choose to stick to them. Something like 1-2 meals a week that aren't good for you will work for many. The rest of the week is more strict, but can still be made to be rather tasty and enjoyable with some planning. Also, find smaller "treat" items you enjoy. These will satisfy that urge but have a minimal impact on your daily food intake. Much better to have a 150 cal bonus snack than a 800cal big-meal blowout.

As for me, I'm about 25lbs below where I used to be, and should be about 10lbs lighter, but am working on it (Covid pounds). To trim it off, I eat around 300-400 calories a day below my normal workday calorie requirement, and then I work out 3-4 times a week. It's not too bad and I feel a lot better than when I'm overeating. I get most of my calories from protein, eggs, meat, nuts, and vegetables/fruits. Most days I try to keep the carbs dialed back pretty hard unless I am about to go lift weights. I need the energy bump on those days and enjoy that rice/potatoes/bread. And I like knowing I'm going to use it up to get stronger. I grab a 200cal protein bar or shake every afternoon to span the 7hrs between lunch and dinner.

A nice trick for the "I need a big dinner plate" feeling is to swap out those starches for extra vegetables and cut the meat portion back a little bit. It's still a big plate of food, just better stuff. You don't have to feel guilty about it. I often do some dinner carbs for the kids, but pass on them myself or just have a little bit. They think it's odd to have a meal with only one or two vegetable offerings. Those microwave steamer bags of vegetables are great. You can drain them, add a touch of melted bacon grease and salt and pepper to create a pretty good side. Salads with meat are huge at my house. Probably 3 nights a week. Might be venison taco salad, might be steak/feta/tomato salads on spinach, might be grilled chicken over spring mix with fruit and avocado.

I eat lighter fare overall than what I grew up with, and it is a change in mindset. I still like tasty food, but found alternate ways to get there. Plus, those occasional big-boy meals taste better when it's time to enjoy one.

Good luck with your endeavors!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Seek progress not perfection.

You’ll get there.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by Raeford

Have also gotten quite lazy with making my own green tea[controlling sugar], been buying Lipton Citrus which has to end asap
Originally Posted by yukon254
Research says, over half of all American adults are now insulin resistant. The standard American diet, and the 50-year old myth that saturated fat is bad, is the cause. There are cases where even type 1 diabetes was fixed with diet when caught early. My diet consists of meat and fat, and little else. It works, and is healthy. Anyone who thinks otherwise, needs to do some research.

Yup

insulin resistance is the enemy, not carbs, or fats

Mid chain or medium fatty acids, coconut oils, olive oils are good for you

Another myth, --- apples are good for you, ----- fructose is a killer

if you need to snack ie. quick energy --- use citric acid based, or vinegar, acetic acid based snacks.
Posted By: mathman Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21

Any beer worth drinking is bad for you. Any low carb "beer" isn't worth drinking.
Posted By: JGray Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21

...yep, and is my biggest downfall - I do love my IPA's grin

Some have commented above on breakfast ideas - one I do is oatmeal with a couple scoops of protein powder added. Chocolate protein powder with a small scoop of peanut butter in oatmeal makes a decent tasting breakfast that seems to hold me pretty well.
Posted By: jpb Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by Etoh

Yup

if you need to snack ie. quick energy --- use citric acid based, or vinegar, acetic acid based snacks.

Dear Ethanol:

Could you explain why? Apparently I've forgotten some things from my nutrition and physiology courses...

John
Posted By: antlers Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21

Michelob Ultra Pure Gold. Only 85 calories and 2.5 grams of carbs in each frosty ice cold bottle. I love the stuff.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
I was 292lbs. Now 230 and in great shape at 61. Buddy, you need to eat meat and veggies and cut out the pasta, potatoes, and bread. I do 30 minutes on the elliptical machine 3-4 times a week with 20-30 minutes of weights. You won't recognize yourself in the mirror in a year. Hard work will pay off in spades. Good luck!

Ron
Originally Posted by antlers

Michelob Ultra Pure Gold. Only 85 calories and 2.5 grams of carbs in each frosty ice cold bottle. I love the stuff.

Either you have very poor taste in beer or you're baiting me. Or both. grin
Originally Posted by jpb

Yup

Dear Ethanol:

Could you explain why? Apparently I've forgotten some things from my nutrition and physiology courses...

John

Citric acid and acetic acid are taken directly into the Krebs (tricarboxylic acid) to be used as energy, no need for insulin as cell membrane transport, so they do not cause insulin resistance

medium chain fatty acids, eg. olive oil provides as much if not more energy than equal wt, sugar with no insulin stimulus. not immediate, 1-2 hours, but energy lasts for 6-8 hrs. vs. sugar at 30 to 45 mins.
Posted By: deflave Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
https://startingstrength.com/

Or don't.
Originally Posted by mathman

Either you have very poor taste in beer or you're baiting me. Or both. grin
lol

I like steaks cooked medium well too. And I like good bourbon with ice and Diet 7•Up too.
You're a sick puppy, no doubt. laugh
Originally Posted by JGray

...yep, and is my biggest downfall - I do love my IPA's grin

Some have commented above on breakfast ideas - one I do is oatmeal with a couple scoops of protein powder added. Chocolate protein powder with a small scoop of peanut butter in oatmeal makes a decent tasting breakfast that seems to hold me pretty well.

great combo--- the protein powder provides all the essential amino acids for your daily needs, you should add more peanut butter (no sugar of course) it contains more tryptophan which helps the melotonin/circadian rhythm part----- ie. increases cortisol pool, decreases stress, reduces craving for sugar.
I like almonds, cashews, pecans, and walnuts too. They are loaded with energy.
If you are talking about protein powder to actually drink, my crew really likes Met-Rx Natural Whey chocolate, as it uses Stevia instead of Sucralose. The kids will sometimes use it in a shaker bottle for breakfast. Add some powdered peanut butter and it tastes like a Reese cup. There's a lot of terrible tasting protein powders out there, but this isn't one. Can order it from Wal-Mart or Amazon.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
I have a small home gym with a weight set. I now have a 3x/week routine to follow with walking the other two days. Never been much of a sweets guy, but dinner is my downfall. I love a big meal in front of the TV! Great big ribeye with a baked tater and sliced French bread, holy shît. I make a damned good steak.

Grilled elk steaks and a salad tonight. Palomas with diet Squirt. Can’t get too crazy.

P

Medium Rib eye no tater no bread , fresh vegies ,salad Italian dressing lite and large glass cold water and nothing after 8 pm.
Just use half as much real dressing.
Or just dip your fork in the dressing if you want to use the real thing. Wind up using a lot less. I like vinegar anyway, so it doesn't matter much to me.
Nice tip.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Try switching to Macadamia Milk. Before you know it, you'll fit into your wife's clothes.

No problem getting in her pants now.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
I remember my wife and I going hiking at a place that has some hills - it about a 7 mile look and it would kick my but when we we started.

Then I lost 30 pounds or so and I was able to get up those hills without taking a break.

Later on we went on a longer hike with a guide on a tour we were on, we were the only couple in the group that opted for the hike, everyone else decided to shop or whatever, so the hike wasn't bad - it went up 1500 feet or so and was several miles but the trail was clean.

Anyways after it was over I heard the guide telling the tour operator that we finished early because we didn't have to stop for a break. That made me feel pretty good about keeping up the exercise.

I've gained some weight over the pandemic and went back to keto in mid January, dropped about 15 pounds in a month and I'm in range of where I want to be - still not there yet but close. We're hiking GNP in June so we're going to start gearing up for that on the weekends. We'll be going back to that 7 mile loop in the gorge on a regular basis getting ready for GNP.

I think the key is you just gotta keep moving.
Most everything you need to know can be found here. My carb intake is zero most days. When i do eat them, I never go over 30.

https://lowcarbdownunder.com.au/
Posted By: victoro Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by wabigoon
If I had an answer, I would not be overweight!

Good luck with it!

You have all the answers you need. You just don't want to do what you should do.
For a person to make something different happen, they will need legitimate measures of ambition, applications, and accountability. If you are missing any of those three, you're wasting your time. Real ambition and honest accountability are often the toughest ones. Anybody can learn about good applications and methods to make changes, but if the desire/ambition to change isn't substantial, or if you aren't ready to be honest/accountable with yourself about your actions, it's not going to work.
The only exercise I enjoyed was cycling, and that was when I lived in a cycling friendly town thirty years ago.

Running? Just shoot me now.
If you buy a $100 Fitbit you can throw every program you've ever heard of in the trash.

If you input truth it will give you truth.

Adjust accordingly.
Caught my teenager a few years back, lying on the couch and windmilling one arm. She said the Fitbit told her it was time to go exercise. Truth is indeed required.
Posted By: jpb Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Citric acid and acetic acid are taken directly into the Krebs (tricarboxylic acid) to be used as energy, no need for insulin as cell membrane transport, so they do not cause insulin resistance

medium chain fatty acids, eg. olive oil provides as much if not more energy than equal wt, sugar with no insulin stimulus. not immediate, 1-2 hours, but energy lasts for 6-8 hrs. vs. sugar at 30 to 45 mins.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, EToh!

I wasn't thinking at the level of Kreb's cycle.

Much appreciated.

John
Posted By: RGRJN Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
WIfe bought me a early one, was at work one day and started it's congrats you reached your goal of xxxxx1000 steps today. I'm like wtf....we been in the truck all day doing stuff, this thing is whacked. Took a few minutes to realize as we driving around some more which hand was on the steering wheel maneuvering a big truck on a small campus grin
Originally Posted by mathman
The only exercise I enjoyed was cycling, and that was when I lived in a cycling friendly town thirty years ago.

Running? Just shoot me now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by RGRJN
WIfe bought me a early one, was at work one day and started it's congrats you reached your goal of xxxxx1000 steps today. I'm like wtf....we been in the truck all day doing stuff, this thing is whacked. Took a few minutes to realize as we driving around some more which hand was on the steering wheel maneuvering a big truck on a small campus grin

Step counting is for women.

They do far more than that.
I can get a little exercise at the rifle range briskly walking to and from the 300 yard line.
Folks here still thinking of exercise in terms of catabolic, contractions.

its about circulation not compressed sarcomeres.

Think stretching, breathing, yoga, tai chi, martial arts is great and can give motivation. Improves balance, yea I know its for women, mens stuff is being fat and lounging on the couch. (arguing over which beer is best)
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Dump desserts and drinking. Consider sugar your enemy.

Consume all your calories between noon and six pm. and reduce carb intake. Stop snacking completely. Try to drink a gallon of water every day.

Weigh yourself daily and do some jumping jacks naked in front of the mirror.

Set a timer and get up and move for 5 minutes every hour. Use that time to exercise, 10 perfect pushups and 10 crunches 10 times/day is not a bad or difficult thing. The next day do air or goblet squats and lunges. Stretch bands are cheap and effective, mix it up.

Core strength should be your 1st priority.

A home gym is an investment in yourself and slays excuses. It will allow you to achieve both muscular and cardio endurance.

Mobility, agility, balance and muscle mass/strength decrease with age and can be resisted with appropriate effort.

Weak people are generally less useful.

Never give up.Good luck.

mike r
Posted By: Dutch Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
I’ll agree with the consensus that carbs are the devil.

I’ll go a little further and point out that just about EVERYTHING we’ve been taught in the last 50 years about nutrition by “science” and the government was wrong. The food pyramid was actually pretty good, if you turn it upside down.

For those who need energy, there is a perfect food for that: fat. Dump the carbs, and replace them with fat and greens, don’t replace them with lean proteins. Avoid carbs and additives by eating simple foods: if it’s packaged and has a brand label, you probably don’t want to eat it.

As far as animal protein, eggs and fish are the only ones without a longevity penalty. But I’m still going to have heritage breed (high fat) pork chops tonight. With a pound of asparagus, pesto and a sautéed red pepper.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi

No problem getting in her pants now.

LOL!

I'm not even sure which way to take this.........
Posted By: andrews1958 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
Went for my yearly exam at 63 years of age. I left scared.

Blood pressure up/ 140/90 Now 110/62
Sugar level up/ 117 Now 93
Pulse rate up/ 98 Now 62
Cholesterol up/ 225 Now 155
Weight 215/Now190 Goal is 180

12 weeks later on my wife's plant base diet: Walking 15,000 to 25,0000 steps a day: No sugar, soda, sweets, fats: Better manage stress.

Everything is back to normal but still have a ways to go.

I got fat a lazy during Covid!
Posted By: hookeye Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/12/21
My back is fugged. So I dont ride bikes or run anymore.
My job has me walk 1.5 miles a shift and manually handle/ move about 6000 lbs of crap. But thats upper body work.

I dont eat much, but do take in too many carbs.
Bloodwork says Im fine.

But I feel like crap ( noisy at work...proly has a lot to do with it ).

6ft and 190#. Need to get to 180#. Never dieted before. Gotta make some changes, 57 next week
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
I bought a treadmill last August and started out slow and now do three miles a day five days a week. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do push-ups and sit-ups. I have lost 50 lbs now and going for 70 lbs which I should get by the summer.
Posted By: Ruger4Life Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
Originally Posted by Ken_L
I bought a treadmill last August and started out slow and now do three miles a day five days a week. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do push-ups and sit-ups. I have lost 50 lbs now and going for 70 lbs which I should get by the summer.

Nice! Was Richard Simmons your trainer? LOL! Kidding. I’m 52 and u r doing better than I am
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
In 2019 I retired from full time butcher work, spent touch time on the couch and the refrigerator and packed on 60 lbs.
I'm 6'2 and was just over 260, felt like [bleep] most of the time, clothes didn't fit.
I had done the low carb thing before and knew I had to do something again to lose the weight.
The results from a strict low carb diet are incredible.
The key word is "strict".
You have to shock your body by removing carbohydrates so that it shifts over to a fat burning mode.
If you cheat even a little during the induction period, you will fail.
If you really dedicate yourself to living better the results will astound you.
It isn't easy sometimes, you don't really realize how much garbage most people consume on a daily basis until you pay attention to food content.
In a period of 3 months I went from 260 to 207.
Went from a 38" waist to comfortable 34s.
My weight fluctuates a few pounds here and there but averages just a bit over 200 and has remained there for a couple years..I feel great, tons of energy and am in better shape than when I was 45.
Most all of my meals are meat, fish salad or green vegetables.
Snacks are cheese, nuts or Chicarones....you can indulge in hard liquor drinks as long as you stick with zero carb mixers.
You guys that want to do this, I'm happy for you....few things will yield such good rewards than just feeling good.
Everything in your life will improve.
Good luck!
Posted By: Ken_L Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
Originally Posted by Ruger4Life
Originally Posted by Ken_L

Nice! Was Richard Simmons your trainer? LOL! Kidding. I’m 52 and u r doing better than I am

No, Richard Simmons thank God he is creepy [bleep]! Is he even still kicking? Yes, I just turned 52 and decided last year that I am not going to end up on a bunch of meds if I can do something about it. It's hard sometimes to get motivated since the treadmill isn't the most exciting but then I think about the fact that I don't want to lose what I have already accomplished.
Posted By: Bob_H_in_NH Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21

Respect that wake up call! I got mine, high cholesterol, under control for years now, now high BP which I didn't do anything about, now have heart issues - nothing major, thickening of the heart wall, most likely cause: high BP. I'm battling both genetics and work stress. BP was "stroke levels" according to cardiologist, but it's coming down now with meds, diet and excercise changes didnt work. Goal with Dr is to get to retirement in 1 year, reduce stress and get off meds.
Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21

P

Same boat, my friend. Same age, same former profession, same meds, same wake the fugg up from my doc, same - ahem - lack of body svelteness, same talk with my wife. Buried my mom yesterday. Both folks made it to 86. I have to do something now to give me a fighting chance to make it that far. Going to start today. We'll see.

cf
Posted By: antlers Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
Health brings a freedom very few realize, until they no longer have it.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
How true - and as with many freedoms.

Good post.
[quote .......and Gawd I love bread......

Me as well.
[/quote]

I have found that almonds are a great breakfast food for me. Buy a big bag of whole natural almonds (no salt added) or other unsalted nut (or nut mix) to keep in your truck for breakfast and snacks. (Avoid salted nuts!) The protein helps with alertness in the morning and during an afternoon low-energy period, and the fat in the nuts helps satiate your hunger.
Posted By: JPro Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
For breakfast, I generally cook eggs and bacon 3-4 mornings a week. Adding egg whites to a couple of whole eggs to bump up the protein levels. You can even buy the cartons of egg whites.

My crew likes these on days I don't cook. I'll generally have a protein shake instead, not that the egg'wiches aren't tasty.

I eat eggs fried in animal fat every morning. No starch to start the day.
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
Do the Keto thing with your better half and get out and find places to hike. I'm 62 and hike all the time, even here in the boring midwest...........
I've got over 100 miles in so far this year on little 3 or 4 mile hikes.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
I don't eat breakfast. Just black coffee and water until noon.

I get that it is uncomfortable for many to do that. If so, try hard boiled eggs, or if you are really planning, take some muffin tins and make some sausage or bacon, crumble up in tin with some chopped onions and peppers in each one and put some scrambled eggs on top.and bake in oven. Make a dozen and take one or two for breakfast every morning. My kids actually love these.

Just takes planning, and honestly, what doesn't?
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21

Posted By: jaguartx Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
Eat all the cabbage, celery and onions you wish.

Posted By: Etoh Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
All diets work
My neighbor lady has tried every one
she has lost at least a 1000 lbs in the time I have known here
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
Oatmeal is a good breakfast for me, but honestly I have a breakfast sandwich from a drive through most days, and focus on cutting carbs out of lunch and dinner. Too much going in the mornings to make that harder for myself.
All diets work

Diets fail....lifestyle changes dont.
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
, maybe get an extra girlfriend...

That's the spirit.
cool
Posted By: Etoh Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/13/21
Originally Posted by Salmonella
All diets work

glad to see you got my point--- dieting is easy, keeping it off the hard part.
I'm proud of what I've accomplished.
I'm 60 and in better shape than most, hell better than I was in my 40s.
My feet and knees don't hurt anymore, no acid stomach...and getting looks from much younger women feels pretty damn good...🤣😳
Wasn't until I started my dude horseback guiding and had to watch the general public do semi physical tasks like mounting and riding a horse did I realize how absolutely pathetic so much of America is....even the damn kids.
Zero physical fitness or agility...30 to 40 year old men that needed serious help just to climb up on a horse.
Years of nothing but electronic entertainment and sedentary lifestyles has created a horribly unhealthy society.
I like this thread.
The hardest part of being in good physical shape is mental.

Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/14/21
All diets work

YES!

I got the second (!) warning shot by my doctor in Dec. 2019. Long-term sugar value HbA1c at 7.5 and 216 pounds/5ft.10. Way too much. The advice: read and inform yourself about diabetes, change your life stye by changing your diet and move your ass. If it don't work you got to see a diabetes specialist. And that was exactly what I didn't want to do. Sitting in a circle of chairs and talking about food and sports.

First I calculated my daily caloric requirement: 2.500. And I thought it would be a good way to stop at 2.000. The daily requirement of sugar for a healthy man is at 65 grams/1.000 grains, for a woman 45grams/700 grains. According to the nutrition facts table printed on the plastic bucket full of industrial made coleslaw with 400 grams there are also 48 grams of sugar in there! Think of the amount of sugar in a bottle of the sweet drinks I won't call by their name here!

First I chose for breakfast industrial made whole grain bread or bought it at the local bakery. Later on I started again with baking my own bread but changed from all purpose flour to whole meal flour, spelt and wheat. I stopped drinking alcohol which I had consumed before in the shape of beer. and never touched ginger ale and cola again. Mineral water and water right from the tap as well as coffee is my daily beaverage. I still eat pasta and lots of them. I have three to four slices of bread with some butter and a few slices of ham or cheese for breakfast, no lunch but a one pot meal consisting of ground beef, onions, bell pepper, fresh sliced chile, whole-grain pasta or bulgur with some tomato sauce but absolutely no industrial sugar. I never exceed the amount of sugar of 45 grams.

Due to the rise of Covid I didn't see the doctor until last August. A appeared there with just 187 pounds and a few days later I was informed that the sugar value was down to 6.2. I was astonished because in August 2020 I had found a beer case as a left over from my wive's birthday in December the year before, best before end of May 2020 and there were several hot evenings that summer with some ice cold beer I didn't want to waste otherwise.

And no, I didn't start a remake of "The Marathon Man" nor do I hike my as* off in the nearby mountains. During lunch brake I have a half an hour walk and just as before take my bike, not an e-bike, on my way to the railway station at my hometown.

Very interesting is this video on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU0Y6ZaYm_0
The video is from 2017 but as you can see he managed to keep the weight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4QZi8khbIQ
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/14/21
I have a strong family history of diabetes.
When I was 260+ I went to a doctor for a check up.
My A1C was 8.8 placing me deep into the diabetic range.
My blood pressure and cholesterol where very high as well.
I had constant acid reflux and what put on 5 medications for all of this, I was 58 years old and a ticking time bomb.
That was my wake up call.
I buckled down hard, knowing damn well if I didn't, I didn't have much time left.
Fast forward 4 months later.
My A1C dropped to 5.5....well out of the diabetic range, my blood pressure and cholesterol are well within safe numbers, and the acid indigestion is gone without medication, and my doctor was absolutely flabbergasted.
I have to maintain this low carb lifestyle if I want to remain among the living.
Feeling great every day is just a side benefit.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/14/21
61 was the big wake up call. Stroke all most to late. Everything off charts. Lost the right side of body. Been 3 years getting the right side control back so I could walk and somewhat function again. Do it before it is too late.
Posted By: There_Ya_Go Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/14/21
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13816936/1

The above-referenced thread contains a good bit of material that might be helpful. It sort of inspired me to change my eating habits. I was 6'0'' and 135 pounds in college. A couple of yeas ago I had gone to over 200 pounds. Cut out breakfast, ate my big meal for lunch, meat and beans for supper. Not much in between meals. Lost 30 pounds in less than a year. I remain on the same basic routine, except I will have a protein shake about mid-morning along with a handful of nuts; big meal of meat (leftovers from home), fruit, low-fat yogurt, and another handful of nuts at lunch. I have to be careful not to overdo the nuts; they are like potato chips, once I start, it's hard to stop. Supper is still meat and beans. Weight has remained stable at about 170. Before all this, I was on on 2 BP meds and blood sugar was elevated almost to what my doc called pre-diabetes level. Now I'm off all BP meds and BS is where it should be.

The high-fiber diet that many gastroenterologists recommend seems to do more harm than good for many people. It seems to me that high fiber = high carb = not good.
Posted By: JPro Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/14/21
I've heard it said that if you were to lock a fat man in a room for a few months and feed him nothing but meats and vegetables, he'll be ready to kill you with his bare hands..........until you show him a mirror.
Posted By: Etoh Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/14/21
Its the salt, but in a way thats good, cause increased salt intake helps cause weight loss (all things being equal)

some high fiber foods, contain large amounts of fructose (apples) so should be avoided

some high fiber foods, aren't absorbed, and only provide bulk
Posted By: Happy_Camper Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/14/21

P

You've done a humble evaluation.
Good start.
You see that whatever you did to get here did not work and its a path you do not want to take.

If I were you I would do the following.
Take 30 minutes of time with God.
Compared to 57 years, that's a moment of your life that can provide more than you and your wife's careers selling whatever.
Both of you can Watch the two links below individually.
The answers start there.

HC
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/15/21
This guy was 73 at the time, I wonder how he did it?

Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/16/21
I have a strong family history of diabetes.
When I was 260+ I went to a doctor for a check up.
My A1C was 8.8 placing me deep into the diabetic range.
My blood pressure and cholesterol where very high as well.
I had constant acid reflux and what put on 5 medications for all of this, I was 58 years old and a ticking time bomb.
That was my wake up call.
I buckled down hard, knowing damn well if I didn't, I didn't have much time left.
Fast forward 4 months later.
My A1C dropped to 5.5....well out of the diabetic range, my blood pressure and cholesterol are well within safe numbers, and the acid indigestion is gone without medication, and my doctor was absolutely flabbergasted.
I have to maintain this low carb lifestyle if I want to remain among the living.
Feeling great every day is just a side benefit.

If I may ask: what is your daily diet? What exactly do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner? In another post you wrote about green vegetables. What exactly do you mean?
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/16/21
I never used Atkins products and perhaps ate more meat than their diet suggests but this is a good read and very accurate.
The induction period is critical to get your body over to the fat burning mode.
You simply cannot cheat if you truly want success.

https://www.atkins.ca/how-it-works/library/articles/the-rules-of-induction

If you strictly follow the above instructions, there is no doubt you will lose at least 20lbs a month and maybe more.
Maintaining that very same lifestyle will keep you lean for life.
Reading labels and knowing nutritional facts is critical to success.
Understanding the sources of carbohydrates and all sugars (including fruit) will take you far.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/16/21
Friday follow up: the scale doesn’t lie.

I’m weighing every day but the only day I’m recording is Friday. It marks the end of the week. This week it’s week one.

Good news, I’m down three pounds.

Bad news, I could have done better.

Almost no carbs all week but I didn’t move as much as I should have. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Let’s see what next Friday says.
Posted By: WMR Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/16/21
Good start. Changing the habits is the hard part. The numbers will follow. Actually a sustained loss of 5-8 lb per month is doing great as long as it's a plan you can live with long term. Short term result don't mean much. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Develop the exercise as a habit as well and you'll continue it. Proper diet will always be the cornerstone. As others have indicated, you can't outrun the fork! Best wishes.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/16/21
Friday follow up: the scale doesn’t lie.

I’m weighing every day but the only day I’m recording is Friday. It marks the end of the week. This week it’s week one.

Good news, I’m down three pounds.

Bad news, I could have done better.

Almost no carbs all week but I didn’t move as much as I should have. It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

Let’s see what next Friday says.

3 lbs a week is fantastic and from some sources, just about right. cool
Posted By: JPro Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/16/21
If an average-sized person can manage a pound a week after the first week, that's pretty good. A larger person might can manage 1.5 to 2lbs. Keep in mind that it won't always be a linear rate of fat loss, as some days you may hold water differently, and some weeks you'll have a more abrupt drop in weight than others. If you are strength-training, it's much more likely that your losses will come from fat instead of overall bodyweight (which includes muscle). You want to keep all that muscle.
Posted By: 79S Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/16/21
Axe the cable.. you will watch less tv.. we have Hulu and watch a few of our favorite shows but that’s usually Friday and Saturday night. Also we never eat and watch tv.. it’s dinner at the dinner table. Also snack during the day ie apples etc.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/30/21
Tomorrow makes 3 weeks and I’m down almost 10 pounds.

Moving more
Eating less (and better)

Antelope hunt in August then a vacation with the wife.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/30/21
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Eat all the cabbage, celery and onions you wish.

oh holy hell,,,,, Go to Youtube and read the comments section,

I'm fuggin dying here with laughter.

Straight up...My sides hurt.......
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: Wake up call at 57 - 04/30/21
Tomorrow makes 3 weeks and I’m down almost 10 pounds.

Moving more
Eating less (and better)

Antelope hunt in August then a vacation with the wife.

Good job Pharm. Keep it up.

I need to get focused. The muffin top has come back.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Wake up call at 57 - 06/06/21
I’m down 16 pounds after a couple of slip ups. A couple of camping trips and a holiday, tough to eat right around the campfire, but I accept my humanity.

Eight pounds a month ain’t bad but I can do better.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Wake up call at 57 - 06/06/21
It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. It doesn't really matter if you slip up once in a while, as long as you don't let it become more than that. Keep it up, you're doing great.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Wake up call at 57 - 06/06/21
I dont try to eat right just to loose weight . I keep very little carbs in me cause I get so sore if I eat too many carbs. It inflames my bones so bad that I cant even work much. Two yrs ago I was at church and a buddy asked how I was. I said I was so sore. He yells at me and seid " stop eating all that bread and sugar. So I did, and I felt a lot less sore and lost about 12 lbs on its own. I was only 150 lbs then and now back up to 144lbs but I am still ok and only 12 lbs heavier than 34 yrs ago when I got married. You will likely feel a lot less tired and sore too if you get rid of most of your carbs. Soda is completely out.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Wake up call at 57 - 06/06/21
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Buy yourself some quality workout equipment. (You have the money....Grins)

Make a place in your house for it, and start using it 4 days a week.

It’s expensive, maybe look for used, or closeout from a health club. New is nice !

For me, having quality workout equipment has been helpful...I’ve torn up 3 Bowflex machines over the years.

This piece of equipment has kicked my ass.

https://totalbodyexperts.com/spirit...OgjBQvZ38NZkDzj9gTR6Phx_-RxoCsjUQAvD_BwE

🦫

You’re a fat phugk

Posted By: bruinruin Re: Wake up call at 57 - 06/06/21
I need to jump on this train and take a bit of care of myself. Went to a consult with an oral surgeon a couple of weeks ago and my BP was pretty darned high. I know that having my usual 4-6 beers a day makes my BP rise, but it's a hard habit to break. I don't splurge on much of anything else, food or drink-wise. Soda less than once a week, few chips or donuts. Ice cream maybe 2-3 times a month. Fast food in spurts - maybe 3 times a week, then go for 2 weeks with none.

About 10 years ago, a member here named rrroae threw down a weight loss challenge. He wanted to lose weight himself and wanted the motivation of others getting involved, so he offered up some cash. A handful of guys joined, including me. I ended up losing 25 lbs in 3 months just by eating less, especially fewer carbs.

I want to get thinner, but lack the motivation. By the time I get home from work after being gone for 12 hours a day or so, I just don't have the willpower to get off my ass much.

Good on you, Pharmseller, for sticking with it and trying to take care of yourself.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Wake up call at 57 - 06/06/21
I exercise quite a bit. I lift and I run several times a week. Lately, I’ve been swimming laps. I say all that only to state that exercise is almost irrelevant to weight loss. It’s all diet. Eat right, and the weight will come off no matter what you do. Eat bad, and exercise will do nothing more than make you eat MORE of the bad and lots of times, you’ll end up putting more weight on.

In the 19th century, doctors used to send patients to bed and tell them to eat no bread, potatoes, or sweets. It worked. They lost weight laying in bed simply because they quit eating the things that made them fat.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/09/21
Three month update, down 27 lbs and dropping.
Posted By: ribka Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/09/21
Three month update, down 27 lbs and dropping.

congrats
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/09/21
XCLNT !!
Posted By: Tide_Change Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/09/21
Good for you Q-dog! I really need to get back into the regimen and shed quite a few myself.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/09/21
Congrats. What made it stick for me is 16/8 intermittent fasting; make friends with it and shortly hunger is not distressing.
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/09/21
https://www.kettlebellkings.com/adjustable-kettlebells/

These don't take up much room and done right a workout routine will flat whoop your ass. The first time I ever did a kettlebell workout I was sore for 2-3 days.

If you start working out and lower your carbs and sugar intake the weight will probably come off pretty fast.
Posted By: benchman Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/09/21
Still young enough to bounce back. I'm 66 and still pretty strong, not fat, and EVERYTHING HURTS. I still work out, but dang....
Posted By: victoro Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/09/21
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Congrats. What made it stick for me is 16/8 intermittent fasting; make friends with it and shortly hunger is not distressing.

I've been on the 16/8 intermittent fasting diet for 49 days and have never felt better. I started it along with the Keto diet to prevent future health problems. It took me about 3 days to get used to it but I never get hungry between meals now. My weight has stayed the same but the small amount of fat I had around the middle just melted away. I had to buy new jeans jeans with a 2" smaller waist size and some new belts.

I was amazed how easy it was to give up alcohol, caffeine, sugar, pastries, ice cream, cookies, some carbs, processed foods and a few other foods to prevent blood sugar spikes. I don't plan on ever changing back to 3 or more meals a day. I used to get hungry about every 4 hours around the clock. I guess because I have a high metabolism I have never been overweight by more than 5-10 pounds.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/09/21
I didnt know 16/8 was a thing. Pretty much how i eat all the time. Weight stays the same.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/10/21
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Rog,

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Only I have ever seen call a Mad Mick a Ho.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/10/21
Nothing but kill them, and America didn't have the courage for that.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/10/21

P

Good for you for facing that reality. I’m a young guy and never have been heavy, but I’ve seen a lot of people lose weight. From an outsider looking in, it seemed like to lose the weight, you’re going to have to be hungry, a lot. Still eat good, healthy meals, but less quantity. Of course you’ll need to increase your activity level too. Getting started will be the hardest part, but once you get on track and start to see results it will get better. Good luck on your mission! You can do it!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/10/21
You’ve done well, Pharmseller.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/10/21
Stroke when I sixty from not listening. You know invincible. Damn near lost it all. Lost money and retirement. I was lucky. It took 2.5 years to learn how to use the right side of my body. I can walk now. Right hand hasn't recovered yet. So listen to your doc. Lose the weight and anything else you can.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/10/21
I also lost 30 pounds in 3 months a few years ago.
I put on 5 but lost it a couple times. So still at my target weight. I kinda went back to my original diet, but I eat less and limit carbs. I still have beers on Friday supper with pizza or some other horror, but just 2 slices and 2 beers.
I do think I feel better.
I was going to take off another 10 this fall if my total knee replacement heals up.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/10/21
faced similar situation in my early 60's, my weight had ballooned to 311# and it was hard to kep my a1c below 7. My doctor arranged a visit with a dietician, best 60 minutes I've spent in recent memory. I learned the role of controlling carbs in weight loss, once put into practice I lost the first 10# rather quickly. After approximately 18 months watching my carbs I had lost 60#, my weight plateaued a few times sometimes for almost a year. I didn't let that discourage me, I kept eating properly and walking a mile every day working in a 2-3 mile walk a couple times a week. I have managed to keep the weight off and have been working out at the gym 3x/wk. to maintain muscle mass and tone. For me following this plan easily produced the results I was seeking and by sticking to it have maintained them.
Posted By: andrews1958 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/10/21
I had the same scare when I last went to the doctor back in Jan. I am 63. Resting pulse was over 100. Sugar 118. Blood pressure was in the 145/90 range. Cholesterol 180 doctor and my weight was 212 with a height of 5’-10”.

After quitting my habit on sugar, exercising and eating healthy As of this morning my pulse is down to 58. Sugar is 84. Blood pressure is in the 80s. Blood pressure is 96/60 Cholesterol 135 and weight is now 165.

Trust me if I can do it you can do the same.
Posted By: andrews1958 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/11/21
The only bad side is I will have to get all new hunting clothing. I have probably have over $2000s worth of it that no longer fits.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Wake up call at 57 - 07/11/21
I started trying to eat healthy when Pharmseller started this thread. I've only lost 12lbs but I'm not going hungry and still eat to much. I just quit eating ice cream, candy, desserts, potatoes, pasta and breads. Always been really healthy, just played and worked to hard for my body to hold up.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Wake up call at 57 - 09/24/21
Five month update:

Weight is down 42 lbs. BP is 122/77. Fasting glucose is normal. HbA1c is normal. Didn’t do lipids but will in three months.

Feeling better, sleeping better, eating better. Regular exercise is a challenge but I’m improving.

P
Posted By: Dutch Re: Wake up call at 57 - 09/24/21
Attaboy.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Wake up call at 57 - 09/24/21
Like I said, I took of 15% of my weight, but it also felt like taking off 15 years. Congratulations.
Posted By: WFR Re: Wake up call at 57 - 09/24/21
Five month update:

Weight is down 42 lbs. BP is 122/77. Fasting glucose is normal. HbA1c is normal. Didn’t do lipids but will in three months.

Feeling better, sleeping better, eating better. Regular exercise is a challenge but I’m improving.

P

Congrats!
I'm in the same boat.
I'm about 3 weeks into no carbs, no sweets and other dietary changes.
I've only lost about 7 lbs but feel remarkably better already.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wake up call at 57 - 09/24/21
Originally Posted by andrews1958
The only bad side is I will have to get all new hunting clothing. I have probably have over $2000s worth of it that no longer fits.

Have a them taken in?
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Wake up call at 57 - 09/24/21
Five month update:

P

NICE job! Doing what you have done, losing the weight and eating right, is not an easy lifestyle change for most people but it’s of tremendous benefit to you. You should be very proud of yourself for sticking to it. 👍

I don’t have any health issues and my weight is exactly where I want it to be but my “problem” was chewing tobacco. I chewed for decades but finally decided that if I wanted to take full advantage of my good health I would need to quit chewing. My wife and I just celebrated our 24th anniversary and I want at least 36 more anniversaries with my girl so I knew I needed to quit. A few months back I finished my last can and haven’t bought another one since. I don’t have the benefit of tangible improvements in my health like you have by losing so much weight. Instead I just have the satisfaction of knowing that I’ve gotten that monkey off my back and I have improved my chances of NOT getting cancer which is all the incentive I need to continue to not chew. I should however buy stock in Wrigleys gum, specifically Big Red and Juicy Fruit since I’m chewing gum like a kid that robbed the candy store. 😁

Keep up the good work and enjoy the “new you”!
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Wake up call at 57 - 09/24/21

Contact Moochelle Obama for diet advice.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Wake up call at 57 - 09/24/21
Faced the same situation becoming a Type II diabetic at age 59. The doctor made an appointment for me with a dietician. Best 1.5 hours I've ever spent, learned a simple way to control carbs which is the key to weight loss. Since that time I have been able to lose 60# and keep it off. My a1c is always below 7 and several times as low as 6.0, cholesterol, B/P and other measurements always within doctor's expectation. I walk 1 mile every day and the gym 3 days a week. Look and feel great at age 72, it takes a lifestyle change and a commitment to that change. Along the way my weight has plateaued, sometimes for as long as a year. Can't let that interfere with your resolve, I only get on the scale every 90 days at my doctor visits avoiding weighing more frequently than that.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Wake up call at 57 - 09/24/21
6'2" 220 pounds 65 years old. Had knee problem start about 10 years ago.... then fell and broke a vertebra (I was to vain to use a cane when I should have been doing so). I swam 3 to 4 days a week.

I started using an Apple watch to track my progress. I pushed to hard and the injection I'd gotten for the knee stopped working. Went back for another shot. It didn't help. Thought I was looking at knee replacement. Ortho doc did an MRI and said it really didn't look that bad. Tried a different kind of injection that required a series of 3 injections....

New meds seemed to be helping but then the pool closed down due to Covid. My over all pain increase to the point I was not sleeping much. I read about older folks using Nortic walking. Bought some fancy carbon fiber poles and gave it a try. I live in the NC Mountains where everything is challenging terrain for mobility impaired folks.
I set my Apple watch for outdoor walk and started in again.... I was making great progress until I pushed to hard again and my knee started yelling at me. My wife is threating to take my watch away from me when I leave the house now...

It's been a few weeks of rest now and I'm slowly starting with the trekking poles again. I probably need to get the knee injected again I'm giving it a week of slowly trying to work up distance again.

When done properly (and in moderation) it's nearly a good as swimming was for me. It keeps my back straight over uneven ground and takes weight off joints.

Here are a few You Tube clips. The first one is by an 80 year old MD who sounds like an old Jewish doctor from central casting... you can skip ahead to the research results got following people with pain issues if you like. He makes the point that Western medicine sucks at suggesting adaptive exercise

Short version of how to do it

Congratulations to the OP. Getting older while still staying healthy and fit enough to enjoy the "golden years" takes some real determination.
© 24hourcampfire