Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good things only last so long.... I didnt read the entire thread but it sounds like the end of a good (but expensive) thing.

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Looks like ol Bob Beck is tainting the McMillan name........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John Boy on here does a great job of repainting stocks. Highly recomend

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took 3 months to get this one in. Lefthand short action edge classic inlet for a Stiller but changed my mind and the ARC Nucleus drops right in too. Waiting for barrel and then this rig will be done. Not sure how many in a row that makes coming in perfect but double digits for sure. Hawkins DBM inlet was right on the money.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The first stock I ever ordered from mcmillan maybe 12+/- years ago was cracked along the edge of the action area into the barrel channel. I called and explained the problem. I sent it back and they replaced the stock. It took a little while, but it was perfect. I still have the rifle and will likely never get rid of it. Since then I’ve had at least a dozen stocks and they’ve all been as ordered and in or under the time window given. Kelly Mcmillan answered an email I’d responded to our an email mailer. I simply stated I’d like to have a Sako 75 Hunter pattern for a 75 (not the 700 the deal was for) he offered me a 20% discount with my specified colors. It shipped in about 3 months maybe. I thought that was pretty incredible. I do like McMillan stocks, but the direction they’ve headed and the price of their stocks now...I doubt I’ll ever buy another new one. I had a great experience with Tom Manners as well in a similar situation. I really like how stocks too!

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
No Bedding Required.... Why?
At McMillan, our stocks are inletted with extremely tight tolerances, and incorporate aluminum pillars. Our aluminum pillars are installed at the time of machining, being cut at a 1:1 ratio with the action inlet itself, resulting in phenomenal fit!
Benefit of Aluminum Pillars
Our aluminum pillars have a wall thickness of .065". They are locked in place with our inert fill material allowing for repeatable torque. Due to the side wall thickness of the pillars, there is no thermal expansion during firing, therefore no point of impact shifting or torque alterations.

I have to laugh at this email I received from McMillan. No it didn’t need bedding it needed a whole bunch of milling. I just want to thank LPR gunsmithing for fixing my McMillan stock since McMillan couldn’t even make it correctly

Last edited by winchester88; 08/10/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a shame if that's the direction they've decided to take under new management/ownership.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I currently own six McMillan stocks, four purchased in the last 12 months. I can tell you from my experience that customer service was excellent, the stocks were all delivered within eight weeks of ordering. One was a Christensen Arms action and the inletting was just a bit off, I contacted them, they sent me a mailing label, I sent it off and had it back in a couple of weeks. Brown, AG, Manners et all seem very expensive to me but they are all similar in pricing to McMillan. I will order from them again as soon as I get sorted on which stock I need next.

Last edited by 257Bob; 08/11/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Bob Beck is nothing but a freaking clown, a clueless one at that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Bob Beck is nothing but a freaking clown, a clueless one at that.

Agreed, but his wife is such a little hottie!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 7 or 8 mcmillans and have traded away a similar number of them. Im very happy with them, but at today’s price point, I’m done with them. Lots of other good options.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
GOOD:

Mine took just 5 months. Came in Yesterday, It was the first component to show up for my new 6mmBR. It is also a custom marble pattern.

BAD:

it was the WRONG INLET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they made it long action instead of short. They are going hane the new one done in about 3 weeks.

SO, if anyone wants a long action, being returned. Call Them. Get you a deal.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Man, haven’t hung out on the fire much in months. I come back and find McMillan is struggling.
It seems from the comments that their reputation was built on craftsmanship rather than well defined product specs and processes, Those defined specs and processes are absolutely necessary for use in training, quality control etc… as businesses grow and new employees are brought in. Tribal knowledge can only carry it so far.

I’ll watch with interest as I may be looking for a couple of new stocks soon.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is all very interesting. I've only bought one stock from McMillan. I drove up to their plant just north of Phoenix and asked if they had a stock for an M98 FN Mauser I had. There had one a customer had ordered and then cancelled. I tried the fit and it was god so I bought it. The year was 1988. I bought another at a gun show I put on a short action Ruger tang safety M77. Ugly bulky club but I use it as a bad weather gun. I have two Winchester M70s that appear to have McMillan stocks from the Winchester factory. One an XTR and the other a Walmart special. Both extremely accurate and would be some of the last I would ever sell.
I probably would never buy another McMillan stock because one I can't afford the expense and two I'm just about too damned old to do another serious hunt of any kind.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 30 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,354
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.