Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Is there a rule-of-thumb percentage difference between the wholesale and retail price of used firearms? For instance, if one was buying a multi-gun estate I would expect to pay a fair percentage less than the aggregate retail price of the guns. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, RS

GB4

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I was told by the manager at a lgs that buys used guns they pay 20-30% below retail price for used guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No simple answer - many, many of the used guns I see are better than - worth more - than many new models.

The two guys I know that buy such amounts from an estate or from a person getting rid of a collection have stored a lot of value knowledge in their heads. They have a way of arriving at a solid estimate of what the whole kaboodle is worth and offering cash at about 50% of what they think they can get in return. They can go upward with the offer if necessary and they feel it is worthwhile, but their willingness to buy everything - down to the last sling or gun bag - makes their approach more attractive to the seller.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My experience with selling used guns is that dealers will offer no more than 60% of what they expect to sell the gun for and will try to buy it for less. That's why most people selling through a dealer go to a consignment model rather than a straight sale.

Private buyers may pay more, but I'd expect a private buyer making a bulk buy to discount the package significantly from retail unless there is something really special in the stuff for sale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on if it is a proven rifle or not. "Yes, but it's a proven rifle!" was the answer a friend got when he asked a guy at a gun show why his used rifle was priced like a new one.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
A "proven rifle" sounds like a typical gunshow BS reply. How is "proven" defined/determined ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
A "proven rifle" sounds like a typical gunshow BS reply. How is "proven" defined/determined ?
A seller can claim anything he wishes, and they often do such stuff. The term means nothing to the buyer unless the buyer already has used/shot/closely examined the piece. I may like the way it is made, looks and feels - but buying on that basis it is a crap shoot with regard to performance. Much of the time I can work with one to the point where satisfied with performance. If that fails, they go down the road again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If I’m buying a collection, it’ll be at 50% of retail. There is a lot of time and leg work involved in turning a collection into cash. For me, that has a monetary value. It also has a monetary value to a person who “just wants it out of here”. I will also make clear the reason for my seemingly lowball offer.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^^what Greg said, I am upfront with the heir... M'am, rifleX will bring 600 maybe when I sell it, but I am taking all the risk, doing all the appraisal work, cleaning, transporting and paying for the table at a show or advertising...so I am only going to offer you 66% of what I hope to get on the back end, here is the current book, take a look. If you will go for 66%, I'll take the whole Maryann.
I live in a very thinly populated rural area, word of mouth is EVERYTHING. I only have 2 things to offer, hassle reduction for the heir and honesty.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
This jives with what I have seen.

Thanks, RS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lima1seven
I was told by the manager at a lgs that buys used guns they pay 20-30% below retail price for used guns.

We paid 50% of retail new for good used guns and marked them at 75% to 80% of our retail new pricing.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
50%-70% of used guns retail value at favorite firearm honey honey hole. Skewed one end or the other depending on demand/likelihood of turning over quickly.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In a quantity buy (5 or more) The price would be lower. It really depends on what it is that they are selling. Really clean old desirable ones? A mix match? When asked this question I have always said put them on consignment at a good LGS. You might pay 20% of the sale price, but you will get what the market will bare. Auctions are a better deal, for the seller, but they have their costs as well.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In the past year I have bought some pretty nice pieces very fairly priced on consignment locally. The LGS's will turn them for their 10 - 15%, not unlike a realtor.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 70 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.