Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought an 2018 F-150 Crew Cab with the 2.7 EcoBoost in May of 2019, the truck isn't 2 years old yet and I have close to 80K miles on it (5 hunting trip from NJ to CO/Utah) put and extra 25K on it, I normally drive 25K miles annually. The only problem was the switch to turn off the wipers went at 38K, covered under extended warranty, I got about 20 MPG. The stock Wranglers lasted to 51K and I could have gotten another 4-5K out of them but was heading out west and I wanted new tires. Prior to this vehicle I had a 2014 Crew Cab 3.5 EcoBoost, 115K mostly trouble free miles. The truck did shut off while driving 7 times, after the second trip to the dealer it was from a faulty throttle control valve! It got sporty in the fast lane on the interstate! The Ford is a good truck, maybe not as good as my 2008 Tundra, 166K trouble free miles, the gas mileage sucked (15 MPG)!

GB4

M
MM879 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Hopped up engines never last and always require maintenance. That's why I bought the 5.0 and before they went to more advanced transmissions. Be real surprised if it doesn't go 250k. Getting over 19mpg with heavy duty rear end tow package. Zero problems.

You learn some things when you work on them. This F150 is the Eco-Boost with the electronic transmission. They use a cover over the entire transmission area. It is a molded fiberglass shield that traps the heat inside. The exhaust Y pipe runs under the cover. The transmission has a polymer oil pan on it. The entire gasket edge of the oil pan is covered in foil backed silicone foam tape to protect from radiant and ambient heat. Every connector and hydraulic line have the tape applied. In the material science field this would be called a band-aid for an over temps’ environment.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Higginez
Originally Posted by killerv
No truck is made like it used to be. Buddy had sunroof go out

Oh the irony.

well, when you are big money like him and order a truck with every option. He earned it.

Dang, all these guys on here driving plain jane 1500 work trucks like the county workers have.

Power windows are just the worst! the horror of a truck having something like that.

Last edited by killerv; 04/23/21.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MM879
I am doing some charity work on my daughter in laws F150. The vehicle is a 2018 with a 3.5L Eco boost a/t. The engine looks to be going well despite a long list of recalls. The recalls are optional if you have the problem. I would call them redesigns. The one that concerns me is the PVC oil consumption problem. They replace the valve covers and halve of the fuel delivery system to get to the valve covers.

The OEM tires are Hankook and they are total sheit. 30k and they are rough. The pull and ride terrible. These tires should never be specified for a new vehicle.

The brakes have been replaced on all four corners. It is a big accomplishment to have brakes worst that a Jeep Grand Cherokee!

The shocks are shot. The vehicle handles like a manatee in warm water.

The wheel security locks were different on each wheel! It needed four different socket keys! They were replaced with lug nuts. Standard lug nut small size torqued to 150# Something is wrong here. I've never seen a small lug nut torqued that high.

Summary:
This vehicle is serviceable, but it is going to be an expensive vehicle to own. I would take F150 off my buy list.

I've got the exact same rig - Lariat edition. Brought it in this week for an oil change, tire rotation, and 63 point check up. They said I needed a new air filter and back brakes. GTG on the air filter, but back brakes at 30K? They said the pads were at 2mm and it needed new rotors. Ford mechanic made sure to tell me that changing the brakes is a bit more complicated because of the electronic parking brake. In my experience, the front brakes always go first. Something doesn't sound right to me. Plus, now I'm getting a "clunking" noise when the tranny downshifts and sometimes when I put it into gear. I have 4K miles and 4 months left on the warranty. Sure as I'm sitting here, that trans will go out sometime shortly after one of those deadlines.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My 2011 Duramax never had brakes done in nearly 150,000, and the mechanic still said they looked pretty good regarding pad thickness.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 2018 f150, 3.5 ecoboost 4wd crew cab has only had the center console replaced under a recall, otherwise it's been running strong at 49k miles right now.
I run 2 tracks, mud snow and am happy with it's overall petformance.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The OEM tires are Hankook and they are total sheit.

I bought a couple of F150s for my company that had Hangooks on them and had the same experience.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[

I've got the exact same rig - Lariat edition. Brought it in this week for an oil change, tire rotation, and 63 point check up. They said I needed a new air filter and back brakes. GTG on the air filter, but back brakes at 30K? They said the pads were at 2mm and it needed new rotors. Ford mechanic made sure to tell me that changing the brakes is a bit more complicated because of the electronic parking brake. In my experience, the front brakes always go first. Something doesn't sound right to me. Plus, now I'm getting a "clunking" noise when the tranny downshifts and sometimes when I put it into gear. I have 4K miles and 4 months left on the warranty. Sure as I'm sitting here, that trans will go out sometime shortly after one of those deadlines.[/quote].

You obviously need to go to CA by way of WA, and return through Dallas , Atlanta , NY, and Chicago in the next couple months before the warranty expires.

I'm convinced design engineers with no experience in the application (or maybe highly experienced!) lay awake nights thinking crap like this up, then giggling about it over drinks at their conventions.

Last edited by las; 04/23/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
43k on my 19 5.0 not one problem.Have original Hankooks.I must have maintained mine.375K on my last one .So. Don't try to tell me about them Jap wheelbarrels.lol

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ford is dog s hit.

IC B3

M
MM879 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Stickfight
The OEM tires are Hankook and they are total sheit.

I bought a couple of F150s for my company that had Hangooks on them and had the same experience.

Yes the Hankooks remind me of a set of no name snow tread tires I bought from Pep Boys. They looked great but, were horrid.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
My company truck is a 2019 ford ranger. Granted, it is in the mud and slop everyday. 55.000 miles just got the second set of brakes, front and rear put on.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Every single vehicle made is an absolute POS.

Read it here on the 'Fire.

You nailed it.

My wife has never been easy on her vehicles yet her 2018 F-150 ecoboost has about 15k more miles and has been absolutely flawless. We don’t exactly live in the flats either. Plus, it see’s more towing than most ladies grocery getters.

Amazing what you read on the campfire.

Also, I changed the brakes on my 2012 ecoboost at 100k even though they were fine. Easy to keep up with at 100k. Serpentine belt, plugs, etc.

Last edited by Slim_Jenkins; 04/23/21.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a 2015 f150 with over 100,000 miles and still have the same brake pads.

The plugs are still doing well and i have changed the original tires after around 50,000 miles or so.

The recalls they have sent me are a few of the dumbest things i have ever heard.

I had the doors adjusted around 6000 miles and at the oil change around that time they said that the battery did not look right when hooked up on their scanner.

That's it other than having the right rear quarter panel replaced when i backed into my tractor and having the stripe a 17 year old girl put on the driver's side.

It has the 3.5 eco-boost and it tows good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crazy shiet. Im on my second set of Hancock tires on my F150. Put first set on at 90,000 now have 210,000 still running on the second set. Just replaced steer axle brake pads for the second time averaging about 100,000 on steer axle brakes. She must ride her brakes. F150's are for the most part solid trucks. Sometimes you will run across a bad one.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've been interested in the 2021 hybrid f150 with the built in 7.2 kwatt generator. I haven't owned a Ford since I bought my first car, a mustang, at age 15.

My dad had a 96 or so powersmoke that was a total lemon and then the gave him a 98 exhibition to trade out his lemon truck. The exhibitions were new at the time but it rode and drove terrible. It felt like riding in a bathtub on a skateboard. No one in my family has owned a Ford since until my little brother got an ecoboast this year for a work truck. He likes his new f150.

Bb

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just turned over 100k miles on my 2016 F150 5.0. Oil changes, filters and gas. Got 65k miles on the Goodyear’s that came on it- did have to replace 1 that had a slow leak.

Drives better than my chevys ever did by a large margin.

Only recall was for a seatbelt tensioner.

There is a reason why they outsell everything else almost combined

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have 55,000 miles on my 2017 F-150. It has the 5.0 engine. Overall gas mileage is 19 MPG. I'm still running the tires it came with, Goodyears, and they look to be good for at least another 10,000 miles or so. They have been rotated every 5-10,000 miles.

If the truck in the OP is in that bad of shape, I'd say it's not Ford's fault, but neglect from the owner.

Lady driver so yup

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
MM879 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gregintenn
My work truck is a 2016 F150 with the 5.0 v8. It has 125k on it. Oil changes, one set of tires, and a battery replacement are all that have been done to it. Still runs and drives like a new one.

If she needs brakes at 30k miles, somebody failed to teach her how to drive.

Please explain how you can abuse the rear brakes? The electronic parking brake is interlock protected from use during drive?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had my 2011 F-150 up on the lift at my friend’s garage last night. I thought it had a front wheel bearing going out because it would make a rotor scraping noise when turning right. It was just the backing plate had warped from corrosion.
While it was up in the air we checked the upper and lower ball joints and the tie rods. All four ball joints are starting to show some play, but the tie rod joints are all still good. Pretty dang good service life I would say, 10 years and 170,000 miles.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (300_savage, 3dtestify, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 44automag, 8 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 752 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,134
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.