Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by Brad

Words and math mean something.

Somebody's been watching too much CNN.

Let me fix it for you. Talley LW's break way more often than I (as in me, myself, and I) can tolerate.

Is that acceptable?

Yes.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
and often

BS

There's 27 pics of broken tally's in this thread, and you want to argue the definition of often?

There are 10's of thousands out there in perfect condition including the over 50 between Big Whoop and I mentioned on this thread (among many others). Threads like this bring out those wanting to brag about their 1-off failures so are statistically unimpressive.

So yes, "often" is BS. "Occasionally" would be a far more accurate adjective. Words and math mean something.

Technically you are correct but given how simple rings are and how important their function is their failure rate should be close to zero. The failure rate for the Talley LW is low statistcally but still unacceptably high. I've never heard of any other rings that failed that weren't subject to incorrect assembly or abuse of some sort. I know of a set of Al rings with the 4 screw caps that failed because a screw was lost and a different head type screw was put in it's place - giving an uneven torque down that eventually cracked the ring in service. Talleys just fail, and often enough to not be worth the risk.

For some.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Ringman
and often

BS

There's 27 pics of broken tally's in this thread, and you want to argue the definition of often?

There are 10's of thousands out there in perfect condition including the over 50 between Big Whoop and I mentioned on this thread (among many others). Threads like this bring out those wanting to brag about their 1-off failures so are statistically unimpressive.

So yes, "often" is BS. "Occasionally" would be a far more accurate adjective. Words and math mean something.

Technically you are correct but given how simple rings are and how important their function is their failure rate should be close to zero. The failure rate for the Talley LW is low statistcally but still unacceptably high. I've never heard of any other rings that failed that weren't subject to incorrect assembly or abuse of some sort. I know of a set of Al rings with the 4 screw caps that failed because a screw was lost and a different head type screw was put in it's place - giving an uneven torque down that eventually cracked the ring in service. Talleys just fail, and often enough to not be worth the risk.

For some.

True, but I personnaly now eliminate that risk by not using Talley LW. None of my other brands of rings have failed. I liked the look of the Talleys but never really considered the weight savings as an important factor. They failed on me so they're gone. If others don't mind a porential failure issue then that's their choice.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have Talleys LW on several guns, including my main hunting rig, which is chambered in 300 Ultra. However, with that said Talleys are cheap junk. The design is poorly manufactured and they need to be lapped or they mark the hell out of your scope. The failures IMO are caused by unequal tightening of the 4 screw design in concert with not enough material thickness.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker
The failures IMO are caused by unequal tightening of the 4 screw design in concert with not enough material thickness.

I meant to mention your point Ben. It's important tightening them to go slowly while evenly tightening all 4 screws on each ring "in concert" as you say. I'd think this sort of stuff is obvious, but perhaps not.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well, if anything this thread serves to be aware how you install Talley LWs if you choose to use them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
8 seasons on these lapped and bedded (scope tube and bases to receiver)Talley LW's with a 5.5-22X50 NF NSX. It's 300WSM-based wildcat I call the '300 WWM' for deer and elk whacking

It shoots my hard antimony 150's pretty well. -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Al, with all due respect, its not the ones that don't fail that concern me. Obviously the failure rate is low enough that there are plenty that last. A guy has to determine his own tollerance.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The failures IMO are caused by unequal tightening of the 4 screw design in concert with not enough material thickness.

I meant to mention your point Ben. It's important tightening them to go slowly while evenly tightening all 4 screws on each ring "in concert" as you say. I'd think this sort of stuff is obvious, but perhaps not.

Never under estimate the ability of the general public to screw things up!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3M Vinyl electrical tape - is fool-proof.

Flows/extrudes at the high spots and creates 100% contact on the bases and caps.

Like they were painted on.

GR

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Some people are ham fisted almost beyond belief. In fact a lot of people are.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have broken two sets. It is WELL documented .

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What do people use instead?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’ve had a set break. They were fine for years, then one morning, they were broken. They were fine the day before, then broken the next morning. Not a big deal for me and the way I usually hunt. Just grabbed the back-up rifle from the truck. Talley replaced them and I still use them. That said, if I were going to Alaska or Africa or somewhere that getting a different rifle wasn’t as easy as reaching into the back seat, I probably wouldn’t take that rifle with the Talleys on it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 04/23/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BKinSD
What do people use instead?

I never had ANY Tally's fail, but I have, use and like steel Leupold Dual Dovetail. Steel Talley's are very well made, as some other brands.

That said, I am not sure on the metallurgy of current Leupold product vs. old - I would not expect any to fail, but maybe someone can chime in if Leupold has cheapened their metal quality over time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve never had an issue with them and I’ve owned 20+ sets of them over the years. With that being said any setup I have where I use a 50mm-56mm scope I always use a rail and Seekin rings. For my 40mm-44mm setups I use the Talley Lightweights. Like most folks, I like my scopes to sit as close to the barrel as possible and I just haven’t found a better option for the 40mm-44mm scopes than the Talley Lightweights.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If someone else already asked this, I missed it...

Has anyone had a failure with unmodified (lapped or othewise) LWs torqued to Tallley’s specs? Seems like most of the failures are with ones that have been “improved” or altered to suit the user’s notion of the “right way”, or possibly over-tightened.

And, as an afterthought, has anyone had a scope slip in rings tightened to spec?

An article on wilderness rifles in the new Sports Afield enthusiastically recommends the LWs for their strength. Add that to JB’s extensive experience and my meager half-dozen or so, and something doesn’t seem to add up. Anyway, I’m trending towards using Weaver or pic mounts now for ease in swapping scopes and more mounting latitude, but definitely not because theTalleys have failed to perform or marked my scopes.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/24/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Talley LWs exclusively on all my rifles, including my 300Rum, although it does have a brake on it.

Haven't had one fail.

I do torque to their specs, and make sure the ring screws are evenly torqued, and the gap between both screws and both sides of the rings are as close to being the same as I can eyeball.

That would tend to make sure the stress is as evenly distributed as you can make it. I also torque alternate side screws, like you do car wheels. I work with mechanical engineers, and I know the importance of proper torque techniques. That being said, I've seen mil grade equipment, using mil grade alloys crack due to improper torque and/or over stressing . So the bottom line is even the best alloys can fail ....

Also, after I mount the base part, I place the scope in the bases, and slide it back and forth to make sure it does so freely without binding. Haven't had one that wouldn't allow the scope the easily slide.

But, I do inspect my rifles prior to using them. Schiit happens .....

YMMV

Last edited by hicountry; 04/24/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also, after I mount the base part, I place the scope in the bases, and slide it back and forth to make sure it does so freely without binding. Haven't had one that wouldn't allow the scope the easily slide.

Me too. Just lucky so far, I guess.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Have a set on my 338 Win mag, 280ai, 7x57, etc. So far so good. No issues.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,102
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.