Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Hmmm.....whats a crescent kick?

Sounds Muslim....

Y'know Big Red, it seems like things have arrived at an impasse. You talking sheet and backed up by F lav'R Flav. I don't know [bleep] about cows but know enough to know when the billhillies start start displaying their base camp...

I don’t know what any of that means?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
... blaming "forces of nature"..

Is that a euphemism for poor maintenance, or taking an old boat below it's crush depth?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Imploded, as expected. That Navy chief of staff is blowing smoke to save face of the crew. It had to be either a mechanical failure or crew error and either is as likely as the other.

They claims it's in 3 pieces. Have to wonder if it cracked along the welds, or what?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"torpedo test"

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like an internal explosion.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is Obama still an Indonesian citizen? Or did he give that up after using it to get through university?

I'd imagine the Germans build a decent sub. They've been doing it a long time and have built several.

Bb

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
What do they call it when they have a running torpedo in the tube and cant launch it???

"Hot fish" or something like that ???

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
An implosion is like an explosion, but in reverse. The hull fractures inward and upwards of 3,000 psi water pressure slams into every possible place, rupturing bulkheads, decks, and everything else in its path. It is not a slow leak; it's an extremely violent event. The usual result is multiple large pieces of structure and a large debris field of everything else.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
An implosion is like an explosion, but in reverse. The hull fractures inward and upwards of 3,000 psi water pressure slams into every possible place, rupturing bulkheads, decks, and everything else in its path. It is not a slow leak; it's an extremely violent event. The usual result is multiple large pieces of structure and a large debris field of everything else.

Like squeezing an egg until it bursts all over the place.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
What do they call it when they have a running torpedo in the tube and cant launch it???

"Hot fish" or something like that ???

Hot run

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The sub had a test depth of 800 ft.
If its crush depth was 1500 ft the water pressure would have been about 665 psi.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any bets against that they forgot to batten down the hatch?

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmmm. The online depth/pressure calculator I used gave me an answer in atmospheres, so I multiplied by 14 to get psi. Somehow, my meager math skills let me down again. A different online calculator gives me roughly 875 psi at 600 meters or just under 2,000 feet LINK

Math errors aside, there are a whole damn lotta square inches on a sub, so 875 psi translates to a huge amount of pressure.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find subs fascinating machines and sub warfare intriguing. A lot of my favorite movies have subs starring in them, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to work on one beyond the dock it's tied up to.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm. The online depth/pressure calculator I used gave me an answer in atmospheres, so I multiplied by 14 to get psi. Somehow, my meager math skills let me down again. A different online calculator gives me roughly 875 psi at 600 meters or just under 2,000 feet LINK

Math errors aside, there are a whole damn lotta square inches on a sub, so 875 psi translates to a huge amount of pressure.

Guys used to stash a styrofoam coffee cup in the conning tower before a deep dive. I was told they were much smaller when retrieved.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I find subs fascinating machines and sub warfare intriguing. A lot of my favorite movies have subs starring in them, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to work on one beyond the dock it's tied up to.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

During World War II, the U.S. Navy's submarine service suffered the highest casualty percentage of all the American armed forces, losing one in five submariners. Some 16,000 submariners served during the war, of whom 375 officers and 3,131 enlisted men were killed.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
oh man, i got a chuckle out of quite a few comments on this thread.

truth be told, bumping around indonesia, taking rickety trains, sketchy ferries and dangerous taxi rides with my family might be my best memories in life

indonesia is very diverse culturally. from sharia law in northern sumatra where separatists are fighting the jakarta government, to animist types in western guinea, to hedonistic balinese hindu's to christians occupying timor.

28million christians in the country.. but [bleep], they darkies. lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Originally Posted by stevelyn

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

During World War II, the U.S. Navy's submarine service suffered the highest casualty percentage of all the American armed forces, losing one in five submariners. Some 16,000 submariners served during the war, of whom 375 officers and 3,131 enlisted men were killed.

The USS Grunion was just located off Kiska a couple years ago. The Grunion was lost on its first war patrol. As unfortunate as their loss was, I feel honored that they are resting in our waters. Even though that's still about 850mi W of me from the tip of the AKPEN.

Military.com Aug 2019

Z
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
oh man, i got a chuckle out of quite a few comments on this thread.

truth be told, bumping around indonesia, taking rickety trains, sketchy ferries and dangerous taxi rides with my family might be my best memories in life

indonesia is very diverse culturally. from sharia law in northern sumatra where separatists are fighting the jakarta government, to animist types in western guinea, to hedonistic balinese hindu's to christians occupying timor.

28million christians in the country.. but [bleep], they darkies. lol

I like their coffee and cigar wrappers.

Z
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,811
Posts18,496,425
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.