-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 41 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 40 41
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An interesting thing... Teal put it that 'insulting a man's religious beliefs is akin to insulting his family'.

I do not question the validity of his statement. I think my experience bears this out. But it does raise a very interesting point: what about those of us who fit into a different category?

I mean as a deist I am getting sent to hell in a hundred different ways! Telling someone that their belief system is evil, or the spawn of The Great Satan, is sure to cause hard feelings. But the funny thing is that no one seems to consider it offensive unless it is directed at another denomination. Occasionally we offer the same courtesy to those of another religion.

I'm not complaining, just musing out loud I guess.

It is very difficult to truly see from another's point of view. Is it any more profane to tell, or imply, that someone is going to hell than to opine that their belief system is superstition? I truly do not know. But I know which one will get you in hot water more quickly.

Ah well, at least now maybe some of you can grasp why religious discussions are forbidden within the confines of a Masonic Lodge that is called to order. Even when one of the prime tenants of the fraternity is tolerance for those of different belief systems, you still have some subjects which are just too hot to handle.

So don't take it too badly. This subject has been causing hard feelings for a few thousand years. We are rich in that tradition. smile

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by fish280
and you proved it by killing the CATC forum ...

i have made many friends - not just acquaintances - here. but i will miss all of you. i simply cannot countenance this move, rick, by continuing here as a member.

the cyber-toasting of the decision is beneath contempt.

i will not look back in here to see if this post is deleted. i have shaken 24campfire's dust from my sandals, just as you have shaken from your sandals the dust of the great Forgiver.

Jesus hung around with scum. But you yourself do not see fit to hang around with fundamentalist scum like myself.

mercy, i almost made to 8,000 posts ... frown

now this site will be removed from my favorites list.

if any of you care to jot it down cyberly, here is my e-mail address: [email protected]

Exactly how Jesus would've responded!

smirk

Ken,
I fail to understand your point here... When would Jesus have left? Would he have accepted the Cathollic bashing and left with fish? The way I see the under-riding commandment it is all about a single litmus belief; Sect, church, cult, orthodoxy be damned.

I suspect Jesus would have left sooner...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve:

I understand completely, and I agree. I didn't come to this conclusion suddenly. I've been resisting calls to nuke the place for over two years specifically because there is so much positve, maybe I should add, so much MORE positive stuff that can happen.

Consider this: 24hourcampfire is my pride and joy, and I am a practicing Catholic. How bad does it suck NOT to have a forum dedicated to Jesus Christ in acknowledgement of the blessings he has bestowed.

Believe me, I've resisted this long and hard. And guess, what, all I have to do is hit a switch and the forum and all its content is still there.

But I will not sponsor anti-Catholic bigotry anymore.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IMO - Ken was being sarcastic. I believe he was trying to point out that Jesus woulda stuck around and made it a better place rather than leave (give up on people). JMO - based on the smirk emoticon.

Me

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Maybe Rick should install an "Abortion" column for those that are going to miss arguing over the net.

Never understood why people need to make a huge announcement they are leaving. Just go, why all the drama? I am sure it is so they can come back and read all the resulting posts looking for an ego boost.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing more needs to be said one way or another. EOD !!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
teal
Yeah, you are probably right... With the morning sun backlighting my monitor the emoticons are only there, not emoting specifically at all. wink
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I understand Rick

Thanks
Steve smile

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I was going to reply to Steelhead's "Where is CATC" thread last night, and decided instead to sleep on it. I saw this thread first thing this morning, and so decided to reply here.

The question in my mind (and, of course, Rick is under no obligation to answer it), is "Why did you nuke the whole forum? Why not just warn (and then expel) the folks who were Catholic-bashing?"

I went to bed last night with a great deal of sadness on my heart. I'll admit to not visiting CATC very often, but I did occasionally go there. I went there when I wanted to find a group of "my people," a group who would understand what I meant when I said that I had seen Christ in someone, a group who would know exactly what I meant when I said that I love the Lord with all my heart and soul, who would nod their heads in agreement when I said that Christ is at the center of Barak's and my marriage.

I'm not saying that those folks aren't sprinkled in at the other forums as well. But there were times I posted God-centered things that I wanted to share, and I felt that they might have been "too much God" in another forum... I don't know.

I always thought that if people misbehaved, then the people responsible were chastised. I wouldn't fail my whole class if a couple of students cheated on an exam.

Right now I am still very sad. In so many places in this world I see Christianity belittled, and non-Christian groups working hard to eliminate us. Now it seems to me that it has happened here at the Campfire... yet the one who did it is indeed a Christian. frown In order to punish a few individuals, we are all to lose. I don't really understand that, and it hurts me. It hurts me a lot.

I understand this is Rick's decision, and I support his right to do anything he wants to here. But I did want to let everyone else know what my feelings are. CATC was often God's way of connecting those of us who are believers with those who are not, but who are seeking. People come there to ask questions they would not dare to ask on another forum. I am sorry to see that go. frown frown

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bush did it to take the heat off of Zumbo.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I didn't see the squabblin' down there,.. but I've noticed that fundies can be knotheaded,...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quit going there a long time ago (Christ at the Campfire) got tired of the Bigotry there and this from a guy that likes to stir the pot a little bit at times when it comes to Religion.

I can remember the times I had years ago when I worked with two Booz, Allen Hamilton Consultants, one was a Jesuit Priest on a years sabbatical from the priesthood and the other one came from a background of his dad being an Orthodox Jew and his mom being an Fundamentalist Baptist and being raised in both religions. Both were brilliant men, but I'd love to bring up a hypothetical religious question and then sit back and watch the fireworks begin.

Case in point those encounters where far more entertaining than the encounters that went on here at Christ at the Campfire. So Congratulations Rick as there are two things that are best to be left alone and that is Religion and Politics, as it's a No Win Situation discussing either Subject. Just go look at this thread and any of the Threads going on concerning Ron Paul. I rest my case......

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by W7ACT
Just go look at this thread and any of the Threads going on concerning Ron Paul. I rest my case......

Oh?,...

I see lots of disagreements in the threads concerning Ron Paul,.. but they're fairly civil, overall.

Stan V blows a little snot a coupla times a day,... but other than that,.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Steelhead
The 'looking' I was referring to was "Where did Christ at the Campfire go"...

Steelhead, 99% of the time I love your humor and am happy to see you joking. But this time, please realize that what has happened has hurt a lot of people... most of them not guilty of Catholic-bashing. Stop trying to make a joke out of this situation. It is not a joke to many... and certainly not to Rick, who I imagine put in a lot of thought on this one.

Let those of us who are hurting hurt in silence without being jabbed, please.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO that was a poweful post Penny. Maybe I use humor to much and it can be taken the wrong way especially on the Internet, but I like this one�..I heard it as a Baptist joke but feel free to insert the domination of you own choosing to be the butt of this one�.

A man had been stranded on a deserted island for many years. When a rescue crew finally showed up one day they were amazed at the skill the man had shown making comfortable shelters for himself. When asked what the main buildings were for he replied...

�Well this one is my home and this one is my church�� When asked what the third structure was he replied, � Oh that one �. that was the Church I had to leave��

We humans sure can mess up a good thing�FWIW YMMV�.

Please don't feed the trolls!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I didn't see the squabblin' down there,.. but I've noticed that fundies can be knotheaded,...
Fundies ain't got that market cornered by a long shot.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In order to punish a few individuals.

Penny:

I share your sadness. Just to clarify, I did NOT nuke CATC to punish any individuals.

I nuked CATC because I was tired of the anti-Catholic theme and no amount of cajoling or suggestions seemed to make a dent in eliminating it.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That is a funny joke, 2ndwind. Unfortunately, it is all too true, which is what makes it funny. frown

I guess it is because Barak and I have for so long (12+ years) been so involved in Kairos that talking about denominational differences just doesn't make any sense to me. It is the individual's relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ that is important... NOT the denomination. The denomination is where a believer feels comfortable... sort of like an old pair of jeans and t-shirt, vs. a suit and tie. Some fit some, some fit others.

I am a Trainer for Kairos Prison Ministries International, and a component of the advanced leader training that I do focuses on what Kairos is... and what it isn't. ALL things (yes, all things) that are denominational aren't part of Kairos. (This is sometimes hard for very dedicated volunteers to understand.) Those are things that divide us. Kairos embraces our "common ground," all things that unite us. That winds up being the blood of Jesus Christ and our relationship with God. We don't do communion or baptism or pray the rosary in Kairos. Those are all good things, wonderful things. They just aren't Kairos' things.

It would be nice to have a forum where the Lord could be lifted up, and we could all celebrate together what we have found in Jesus. People posting should ask themselves, "Does this post unite or divide us?" And then either post or delete accordingly.

No matter which forum I post on, I always ask myself, "Does this post glorify God?" It is a good question to ask, every single time. I admit to having had to bite my tongue (sit on my hands????) a couple of times. But what I would have posted would not have been good.

Just my 2�... YMMV.

Penny

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickBin
I share your sadness. Just to clarify, I did NOT nuke CATC to punish any individuals.

I nuked CATC because I was tired of the anti-Catholic theme and no amount of cajoling or suggestions seemed to make a dent in eliminating it.

I feel a little guilty because I did not go there more. There are probably others who feel the same way. In essence, we left it in the hands of the "bashers" and they defined it.

I still don't understand why the perpetrators couldn't have just been expelled, leaving the forum... But that is your decision, and I know it hurt you to do what you did, and I respect you and am not trying to change your mind or argue with you. Just trying to understand...

Penny

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Penny:

Your PM box is full.

PM incoming.

rb

Page 6 of 41 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (BALLISTIK, 5sdad, Akhutr, Amos63, auk1124, 14 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,871
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.