Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 41 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 40 41
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

From the first, I've felt that CATC was out of place here like pews and hymnals at Bass Pro Shops.

Ken,
Kind of an odd statement..seeing as how both you an I have posted and listened and taught and been taught-ministerd to on that forum more than once in the past years....

Your experience, humor and relationship with Christ were always appreciated...but I agree, that hymnals & pews at BassPro aren't much edifying..:)

I had not been active on that forum for some months for personal reasons...maybe I had just said my testimony and exhorted often enuf and preferred to not know any more 0of just how sorry some who confess Christ are..at least in cyber world..

I never had any issues with Fish..THO we didn't always agree..and will miss him on the forums and think his exit in this manner was unnecessary.
RickBin,
This is your board..and whatever you do is your decision.
I do agree with a few that found some good on that form..for all the personal or denominational attacks that one occassionally witnessed.

One of my favorite sayings regarding anything that folks endeaver to do AND when they meet trials and opposition:

IF this was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Not everyone will hear nor follow Christ.

Let us hope that from the tone and nature of our postings and replies those who are wanting to follow Christ will see Him in us at times on the regular forums..JIM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Rick, I read though that forum one time. And as a Catholic had nothing to say and no quarrel with anyone. I never even opened it again. But I agree with you 100%.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
From the first, I've felt that CATC was out of place here � like pews and hymnals at Bass Pro Shops.

it was inevitable that the forum was abused....
when the Christ walked the earth in person, He was abused, too...

i need no special forum to be a believer... i try to post with
Christ's way in mind on all forums...

the fire is not a place that i frequent to learn about God and his ways... what i've learned about God and his ways is entirely appropriate to use in my dealings at the fire.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim:

It was not a quick decision.

Ken exhorted me to get rid of CATC over two years ago, due to the vitriol. Others who have my confidence were also pessimistic. I was pretty much the last holdout, for a LONG time. The anti-Catholic stuff really tested my patience, and when I realized it was not going away ... well, I will not sponsor sustained religious bigotry, plain and simple.

My apologies to those who had to endure it when I was ambivalent because it was not directed toward Catholicism. That was a very big error on my part, and I am truly sorry for my lack of empathy and awareness.

I am not Mormon, or a Jehovah's Witness, or Anglican, or Lutheran, or Orthodox, but I don't believe ANYONE has a right to bash any of these folks for what they believe. I have received PMs from representatives of each of these "denominations" in the past 24 hours expressing general approval, and recounting instances when they felt persecuted on CATC.

Again, to all those folks whose angst I missed in my self-centeredness, because I am sure there are more, I apologize. It shouldn't have happened, especially on my watch.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I don't fault you at all Rick. You've shown more tolerance than most. (I was raised Catholic and now am methodist and have taken hits for both).

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Rick,

As with all of the forums, while you may choose to intercede as webmaster,

it is the responsibility of those who come here to manage their own selves and the forum content..

To be civil, tolerant,even when some posts or opinions run against what we believe or the perspectives of others seem foreign to what we have experienced.

I never figgered it was your job to manage me or anyone else..:)
It's OUR job to do that..and young or old, 'tis a good measure of men and women when they can do so..
Best regards, Jim

as a quick edit-postscript:
Daily I and others learn how that last measure of self control is to be better done in this cyber world where thoughts, and emotions travel so fast at the stroke of a finger..Hope we do better..at least that is my own goal here..J

Last edited by jim in Oregon; 08/13/07.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If it's any consolation,.... it ain't gonna run me off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Nothing will run you off...Not even you....

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Bristoe, and yes even you Bart..:)

Hope ya stay around...:)Jim

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by RickBin
Ken is far from a non-believer.

That is what I thought Rick, but after googleing so many words in his posts I become confused grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He confusicates me sometimes too. grin

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

Originally Posted by Steelhead
The 'looking' I was referring to was "Where did Christ at the Campfire go"...

Steelhead, 99% of the time I love your humor and am happy to see you joking. But this time, please realize that what has happened has hurt a lot of people... most of them not guilty of Catholic-bashing. Stop trying to make a joke out of this situation. It is not a joke to many... and certainly not to Rick, who I imagine put in a lot of thought on this one.

Let those of us who are hurting hurt in silence without being jabbed, please.

Penny

I thought it was funny....Humor is good mostly....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How is this for religious tolerance<when you have a government agency with a name like,"the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice" you just have to know really bad stuff is going to happen>:

RIYADH (AFP) - A Bangladeshi man died of fright after being arrested by Saudi Arabia�s controversial religious police for washing a car instead of praying, a local newspaper reported on Sunday.

The unnamed man died last week in the holy city of Medina after being detained by members of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, Al-Jazirah reported.

The Arabic daily said the man �convulsed in fear after he was arrested, leading to a drop in his blood pressure and causing his death.�

The man was arrested by members of the commission, commonly known as the Muttawa, for washing a car during a time of day when he should have been at prayer, the paper said.

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
2ndWind,

What we post here in fast response in cyberworld and how we may personally feel in outrage might be quite different.
I am routinely outraged by many things I see and hear..but few will be changed or redone if I speak angrily on this forum.

Sometimes no response can be good.

Neither you nor I can control what men or women or governments do around this planet.

With a bit of effort, ( and faith with knowlege) we DO have some hope of controlling our own thoughts, actions and words so who we are and what we do and how we live builds rather than breaks stuff..Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just got a PM from POP saying he had shipped my 270 wby dies [already got one set and only use one load - 130 xxx but the price was right ] and brass [ got enough already to last 30 years and I'm 65 ] .Courtesy of the classified forum .

Got to reading about the long barreled 1895 Marlins . I've got a 29 in. 458 douglas [ courtesy of the classifieds some years ago ] so the wheels are turning .Ain't shot the ol' Marlin in a year or two so I REALLY need to juice it up .

Like I told Steve : I started hanging out at the CATC forum because it was the CHEAPEST seat in the house !Never felt the urge to rush out and buy anything after reading on it.

Rick started it .Then he moved it .[ Used to " Top'o'the Heap .Remember?]Now he has knocked it in the head , and that's fine with me .{ Sounds better than ;" No skin off my *** !"}

BUT ; Having learned a thing or two about human nature , I fully expect a thread on the order of " The Pope is the anti-christ " or some such nonsense to pop up on this forum .

Got a " Plan B " Rick ?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you think?

rb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good point Jim.....whenever I read stuff like "the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice" I get an itchy cut and paste finger....I'll try and cut back....some....

Please don't feed the trolls!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Good point Jim.....whenever I read stuff like "the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice" I get an itchy cut and paste finger....I'll try and cut back....some....

Probably the same bullet in the chamber, cocked and locked and ready to rock feelin' I get when I read anything promulgating the 'orfice of homeland security' or the 'pat-idiot act'...:)Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the place belongs to you and you keep it up real nice . I also DON'T think you have to explain or defend your actions.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think that you ought to lock these two PITA threads and start pissing and moaning about Ron Paul or why the Word Association thread won't die....Hell...Lock that one too.... wink

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Page 8 of 41 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (300_savage, 35, Akhutr, 338reddog, 10 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,881
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.