Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Garandimal,

Have you ever read the book OF BENCH AND BEARS: ALASKA'S BEAR HUNTING JUDGE, by Richard Folda. I suspect you might like, since Folda took a lot of bears (black, grizzly and brown) in his life, and guided fellow hunters to quite a few more. He started with a Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington, but eventually started using a Garand, both of which he liked due their quick repeat shots.

Have not, but will look for it, thanks.

Have read accounts of the M1 rifle though, as a truck rifle, used on bears.

A little heavy for the mountains, but hard to argue about the firepower, and it's easy to shoot rapid fire accurately in a pinch.

You think a .30-06/168 gr. TSX at ~ 2800 fps. would do it for a dual purpose load, or something heavier?
(mentioned b/c I don't reload for the .30-06, and have those on hand)

Use'em in the M1 rifle in the thickets, for big hogs, and it works well.

Thanks JB.

GR

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Garandimal,

Have you ever read the book OF BENCH AND BEARS: ALASKA'S BEAR HUNTING JUDGE, by Richard Folda. I suspect you might like, since Folda took a lot of bears (black, grizzly and brown) in his life, and guided fellow hunters to quite a few more. He started with a Remington Model 8 in .35 Remington, but eventually started using a Garand, both of which he liked due their quick repeat shots.

Have not, but will look for it, thanks.

Have read accounts of the M1 rifle though, as a truck rifle, used on bears.

I little heavy for the mountains, but hard to argue about the firepower, and it's easy to shoot rapid fire in a pinch.

You think a .30-06/168 gr. TSX at ~ 2800 fps. would do it for a dual purpose load, or something heavier?
(mentioned b/c I don't reload for the .30-06, and have those on hand)

Thanks JB.

GR

Would work exceptionally well

Thank you.

GR

Y
Yaddio Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Teeder
I've lost track, was it decided what bullet the OP should use out of a .338-06 or is he using something different now because it's not big enough?

Still taking the 338-06 this year.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Y
Yaddio Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by szihn
I owned three 338-06 rifles in the past and I have made a few dozen of them for customers. I like the cartridge a LOT. I sold my last one because the man didn't value $100 bills as much as he valued the rifle and kept laying them down until I said yes. I said I'd make another for myself, but so far I have not. Still, the 338-06 is a shell I have a great deal of respect for. Because I now have a 9.3X62 I have not felt any "need" to replace the 338-06, but I still may just because the shell works so well and is easy to load for, and easy on the shoulder in comparison to the power it give me.

Because I live and hunt in Wyoming and big bears are common I also find much of my deer and elk hunting is done in the bears "back-yard". So I load "Elk/Bear bullets" for my guns and just shoot deer with them if I have a deer tag. Even if a tough bullet that only opened up half-way it still kills deer fine. Some run 20-30 years, but are easy to find with the blood trails they leave. In my 338-06 I found the 210 grain Nosler partitions and the 225 Grain Partitions did an excellent job on all the game I shot with them, and at ranges of 200 and under they opened very well on deer (Antelope too) Yet the ability to break big bones and still go deep and exit elk was common. I never shot a grizzly with one, but I would have if the need was thrust upon me and I carried that ammo with full confidence in it, knowing what I had seen it do on elk and in one case, on a moose. (with a 225 grain Nosler Partition.)

The 180-210 grain ranges are thought of as "light" for the 338 bore size, but the 200 and 220 gain bullets are large in the 30-06 and the honest truth is that the 30-06 was and often still is the most commonly used cartridge for killing grizzlies.

I do not feel under-armed around grizzlies when I carry one of my 30-06s or my 8X57 as long as I have the correct bullets in the ammo. If you carry a gun for defending yourself against a bear you must acknowledge that no bear is dangerous until it can touch you, and the part that comes first is the front of the bear. So the parts that you need to hit are close and also close to the skin of the target. I do like full pentation, but to break the skull, neck, spine or shoulders of an aggressive bear you don't have to make the bullet go through 4 feet of meat and bone first. It hits the part that needs to be hit first. Destroying the vitals and then having the bullet break through the pelvis after the front is his it never a bad thing, but the front of the bear is what you hit first, and if the bullet don't break up on hair, hide muscle and bone, you can kill bears fine with "only" 20-24 inches of penetration. More never hurts, but the largest part of the damage is done up front and it's going to be close, (25 yards and less, sometimes a lot less) or you are not actually defending yourself.

Back in the days when grizzlies were common in the Rockies and big magnums were not, men who understood used bullets that "went deep" because they did not break up. Not just in the Rockies of American either but in Africa and India and Australia too. Look at the use of the 6.5X54 M/S, the 7X57, 8X57, 30-40 Krag, 303 British 35 Winchester, 333 Jeffery, 318 W/R 45-70 and the 30-06 with it's wonderful 220 grain bullets. Extreme velocity was not the focus, but bullet construction was, to all that understood.

Coming back to the 338-06, I see it as an American modern version of the 333 Jeffery and the 318 Westly Richards, both of which were very well received and respected in Africa in the 20s through the 50s, and to be an equal to those old shells is a very good place to be. The 333 was available with 300 grain bullets and was very popular for close shots at game up to 2000 pounds with that bullet. Yet the 250 grain bullets were more popular overall. The 318 W.R. also shot 250s.

Some run 20 to 30 years!!! WOW!!! Well, at least they're easy to find.
Just kidding....

H. Babcock
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
So, did you two get any on your shoes?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It has been awhile, but the last deer hunt I did on Montague Island resulted in four deer and no bears. My rifle was a 30-06 and 165 grain Nosler Partitions, plenty of the "right stuff" for a brown bear and deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yaddio
Originally Posted by Teeder
I've lost track, was it decided what bullet the OP should use out of a .338-06 or is he using something different now because it's not big enough?

Still taking the 338-06 this year.

Excellent.
If the border opens up, I'll be taking mine to Newfoundland again with either 225 or 250 PT's.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I draw an elk tag, I will be using one of my 338-06's.

Arcus Venator
Y
Yaddio Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by CRS
If I draw an elk tag, I will be using one of my 338-06's.

What do you feed your 338-06?

H. Babcock
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned 338-06's off and on for over 20 years.

Have seen/used 180gr NAB, 200gr Hornady Interlock (now discontinued), 200gr NAB, 200gr Ballistic silvertip, 210 gr NPt, 210gr TSX on critters.

My current two rifles are set up for the 200gr NAB and Ballistic silvertip, and 210gr TTSX. Have not killed anything with the TTSX yet.
Have played with a number of different powders, but Varget is my preferred.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Arcus Venator
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dennis,

Good to know you have so much experience stopping charging brown bears. Which is what this thread started out about.

Sorry, but I couldn't help it. But I have the advantage of talking a lot with Phil Shoemaker, who has as much experience in that particular discipline as any Alaskan outfitter I know of today. (Also hunted and fished with him a few years ago, when we encountered many brown bears, one of which was pushed within 15 feet of us by a nitwit fisher-person. Oh, and have also killed a "brown bear" in Alaska, according to the B&C area definitions, though they disagree with B&C's.)

I also happen to be friends will a well-known gun writer who hunted deer on Kodiak some years ago. He used a .300 Weatherby Magnum, just in case a bear came in on him. He used two different loads, a 150 Partition for deer, and a "back-up" load with the 200 Partition in case of an encounter with the brown bear. He killed a deer--and a BIG brown bear did try to claim it. The 150 Partitons did NOT penetrate the bear's shoulder--but the guide's bigger rifle did.

Have shot quite a few bigger animals in both North America and Africa, and there is a real difference between shooting them broadside or angling away, and through the heavier bones in their front ends--which is generally where charging animals have to be shot.

He is going deer hunting, not guiding brown bears. My point is to hunt deer, not bears. Only taking a 458 to Africa in case you bump into a lion is about the same thing.

IF he were trying to STOP brown bears i would suggest a 458 and lots of shooting practice.

I stand by my original recommendation for his 338-06, a 210 either Barnes or Nosler.

My buddy is coming up to hunt this year and in fact is bringing his 338-06- loaded with 210 TSX

Last edited by dennisinaz; 04/29/21.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I seem to recall the whole point of this is the OP will be hunting deer amongst brown bears, and so he wants to equip himself with the ability to "STOP" them in case of a worst case scenario while also not destroying a bunch of meat. Both of these prerequisites yell out for a 250gr partition or A frame. A 250 will dig deeper and ruin less meat.

Yaddio, what island are you hunting?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What Charlle and MD said. In 50 years of hunting in Griz/Brown bear country, I've never shot one, tho there have been times....

Nor do I desire to do so.

I had a less than desirable experience with 210 Partitions- once - on moose (338 WM). I no longer consider anything under 225 gr for my .338 WM - 250's preferred. Well, maybe 210's for alpine/ high arctic tundra for sheep or caribou. But I'm packing something different for that.

Admittedly, I've no experience with th .338-06 (but when has that stopped anyone on the forum? smile. )

250's work well and don't do an excessive amount of meat damage. Premiums if you prefer, tho I've largely gone back to C&C for my purposes.

My current reloads are Hornady 250 gr RN- MOA. I was impressed with the 250 Trophy Bonded factory (Fed Safari?) premiums I once used. Excellent penetration, modest expansion on a moose shot quartering away. Entrance just in front of the right rear ham, exit off-side shoulder blade.

Heavy slow loads tend to do less meat damage than high energy lighter loads - and will likely work better as a bear stopper at close range.

IMO- which is worth what you paid for it. smile

Last edited by las; 04/30/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"I had a less than desirable experience with 210 Partitions- once - on moose (338 WM)."

What happened?

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This has been discussed numerous times on this forum. If you want to stop anything, shot placement is critical.

Arcus Venator
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
CRS, would you tell more about that green/stainless rifle on top? That looks like a thing of beauty with death written all over it. Thanks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by CRS
This has been discussed numerous times on this forum. If you want to stop anything, shot placement is critical.

Yeah, shot placement is critical--but in the case of a charging animal the bullet must be able to penetrate to the vitals, often with less-than-perfect shot placement, because by definition the animal is moving. Phil Shoemaker did this on a big brown bear with a 9mm handgun and 147-grain Buffalo Bore hard-cast bullets--but it took every shot the little handgun held, and even Phil said he would have rather used his .44 Magnum revolver--or better yet his .458 Winchester Magnum. But probably the major point is that Phil has stopped many charging bears, and not only knows where to hit them, but what's required for penetration. He thoroughly tested the 9mm load for penetration before carrying it in the field, instead of guessing how it might perform.

As I mentioned earlier, I have seen the 210-grain Partition stop inside an average whitetail--on a rear-quartering shot at "woods" range. It entered the buck (which weighed about 150 pounds field-dressed) at the rear of the ribcage on one side, and was recovered from under the hide on the front of the chest on the other side. No heavy bone was hit, if deer bones can be called "heavy" compared to an elk's or big bear's.

I also haven't found the 225 .338 Partition to penetrate much deeper than the 210--but the 250 does, the reason it was the Partition I used it on all but one of the animals I've taken with the .338 that weighed over 500 pounds, on up to an eland weighing well over 1000 pounds.

If I was going to carry my .338 to hunt deer in brown bear country (or even Montana's grizzly country, which expands ever year) and a 210-grain bullet it would be the Barnes TTSX--which penetrates deeper than the 210 Partition.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by CRS

Yeah, shot placement it critical--but in the case of a charging animal the bullet must be able to penetrate to the vitals, often with less-than-perfect shot placement, because by definition the animal is moving. Phil Shoemaker did this on a big brown bear with a 9mm handgun and 147-grain Buffalo Bore hard-cast bullets--but it took every shot the little handgun held, and even Phil said he would have rather used his .44 Magnum revolver--or better yet his .458 Winchester Magnum. But probably the major point is that Phil has stopped many charging bears, and not only knows where to hit them, but what's required for penetration. He thoroughly tested the 9mm load for penetration before carrying it in the field, instead of guessing how it might perform.

As I mentioned earlier, I have seen the 210-grain Partition stop inside an average whitetail--on a rear-quartering shot at "woods" range. It entered the buck (which weighed about 150 pounds field-dressed) at the rear of the ribcage on one side, and was recovered from under the hide on the front of the chest on the other side. No heavy bone was hit, if deer bones can be called "heavy" compared to an elk's or big bear's.

I also haven't found the 225 .338 Partition to penetrate much deeper than the 210--but the 250 does, the reason it was the Partition I used it on all but one of the animals I've taken with the .338 that weighed over 500 pounds, on up to an eland weighing well over 1000 pounds.

If I was going to carry my .338 to hunt deer in brown bear country (or even Montana's grizzly country, which expands ever year) and a 210-grain bullet it would be the Barnes TTSX--which penetrates deeper than the 210 Partition.

Wise words^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Y
Yaddio Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I seem to recall the whole point of this is the OP will be hunting deer amongst brown bears, and so he wants to equip himself with the ability to "STOP" them in case of a worst case scenario while also not destroying a bunch of meat. Both of these prerequisites yell out for a 250gr partition or A frame. A 250 will dig deeper and ruin less meat.

Yaddio, what island are you hunting?

Admiralty Island

H. Babcock
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might also mention a brown bear incident that happened on Kodiak Island--though not when I was hunting deer (which I did a year or two later) but when fishing. Eileen and I were fishing out of Zachar Bay Lodge in August, along with a few other guests, and the plan that day was to fish the Zachar River for both Dolly Varden and salmon. The tide was out that morning, so we had to get out of the boat over half a mile from the mouth of the river, then hike the beach to the river.

Our group included the head guide (who was also an experienced bear guide) at the head of the line of about six anglers. He carried a pump 12-gauge with heavy-duty slugs. At the rear of the line was a teenage son of the lodge owners, who was supposed to bring a rifle but forgot to bring it. We were supposed to stay in line, with no wandering.

The beach lay underneath a series of steep ridges, with a sandy "cove" between each ridge-nose. As we rounded one ridge, we saw a couple of brown bear cubs at the base--and mama almost immediately charged us, running down the slope in our direction. One of the clients was a guy with a video camera, and he immediately started walking rapidly toward the bears--in front of the guide with the shotgun. Apparently the video nitwit had no clue about bear charges--but luckily it was a bluff charge, and the shotgun guide was able to push the video guy aside (while using some strong language).

Meanwhile the cubs had headed up the base of the hill to mama, and she stopped. Eventually she turned around and escorted her cubs uphill--and the shotgun guide reamed the video guy out, also giving the rifle-less kid a few words. Then we reorganized into our line and started hiking along the beach again.

This might seem to be one of those singular, random meetings with an angry grown bear--but a couple ridges later almost exactly the same thing happened, once again: Cubs at the base of the hill, and mama charging our group. The difference this time was the video guy did NOT walk toward the bears--and in fact all of us stood very still, except for the shotgun guide, who aimed at her and talked calmly. As a result the excitement ended sooner.

Yes, we were fishing, not deer hunting--but you can run into brown bears almost any time you go wandering around Kodiak--and a few other places in Alaska, such as Phil Shoemaker's country on the Peninsula, which a biologist told him has the highest concentration of bears in the state during the summer/early fall salmon runs.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

329 members (240NMC, 12344mag, 22magnut, 303savage, 10ring1, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,532
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.