Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
They're all so doggone cool! Little ones, big ones, red ones, blue ones... Lever actions, single shots, muzzle loaders, bolt actions... Even a few semi-autos...

I've plinked with them, hunted with them, gripped them in life & death situations... I just like rifles! I revere their history. I like the results of forward thinkers. I like handloading for them, shooting in competition with them, hunting with them, and I really liked having one in my hands when the situation was a wee bit tense.

I'm a guy who likes simple solutions. One 4x4 vehicle, one motorcycle, one bicycle... I love the IDEA of one big game rifle... But dang! All those others... Sigh.

I'm not a wealthy guy. I'm not a guy who has hunted the world. But I have some rifles, not a gazillion, just some rifles. And often it bugs me 'cause I know that for what I do, I "need" only one big game rifle.

For centerfire hunting rifles I've got:

Ruger Number One rifles x2
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lever action Marlins x2

Bolt action hunting rifles x3

As well as a few target rifles, a varmint rifle and an AR-15 I keep around just in case bad stuff happens.

7 hunting rifles may not seem like a lot, but dang! It's what I've cut back to after having a dozen different ways of killing a mule deer. Oh, and there's a traditional muzzle loader that's taken a couple of mule deer too. Then there are two hunting bows as well...

Honestly, I could do it all with my 30-06 Remington 700 CDL - it's brought me pronghorn, mule deer, elk, black bear, wolf and grizzly...

But, I LIKE all the other rifles! Dang. Could probably sell most of them, rely just on the 30-06, and easily afford a trip to Africa. But, where would all my rifles be?

Sigh... I think they were referring to this as a "First World Problem" in recent times. Sigh. Such a burden. I'm afraid that I may have to keep them. Unless I get wild & crazy and sell most of them and go to Africa! smile

Who knows? Is there something wrong with liking lever actions, bolt actions, single shots and muzzle loading rifles? Some folks sure seem to get bent out of shape about others who don't share their preference. Me? I like 'em all! smile *Never shot a pump/slide action hunting rifle, but I'd like to!

Regards, Guy

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Loony.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
LOL! Good point.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Cascade]

Ruger Number One rifles x2

*Never shot a pump/slide action hunting rifle, but I'd like to!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wanna trade ?
6mm Rem, 270 Win, 30-06 Spg >> Take your pick !

They do work.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Cascade
Who knows? Is there something wrong with liking lever actions, bolt actions, single shots and muzzle loading rifles? Some folks sure seem to get bent out of shape about others who don't share their preference. Me? I like 'em all! smile *Never shot a pump/slide action hunting rifle, but I'd like to!

Regards, Guy

Nice mulies! I think variety is more interesting. However, I'm boring. I have a semi-auto .22, but the remaining three rifles are bolts. Last year I decided I had too many rifles and sold my Ruger Hawkeye and my .308 pre-64 Win Featherweight. I know it was sacrilege to sell the pre-64 but I didn't hunt much with it, and never cared for the stock. I now have a Kampfeld-modified .30-06 1993 Stainless Rem Mountain Rifle, a 7mm-08 Rem Mtn Guide, and a 7mm-08 Kimber Montana. (I'm currently thinking of selling the Mtn Guide) My passion has always been upland bird hunting so shotguns are where I start drooling. I've got a matching set of Beretta Silver Pigeons (12 ga and 20 ga.), and a couple of Benellis. In '92 I had the chance to buy a 12 ga Beretta 687 EELL for $800. I'm still kicking myself for thinking, "that's too much for a shotgun."

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I buy rifles to prevent me from buying rifles. I $hit you not, it’s a proven strategy that works. I also buy and hunt with rifles for other people even though they are unaware they exist... damn they have nice rifles at my house though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smallfry
I buy rifles to prevent me from buying rifles. I $hit you not, it’s a proven strategy that works. I also buy and hunt with rifles for other people even though they are unaware they exist... damn they have nice rifles at my house though.

laugh laugh

ROF

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Amateur.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I feel ya!

Browning High Grades
M71, 348Win
M1885, 300 H&H
M65, 218 Bee

years in the acquisition, among others!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cascade, Geedub, and elhunternm all on one thread about liking too many rifles....

Who woulda thunk? laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Cascade, Geedub, and elhunternm all on one thread about liking too many rifles....

Who woulda thunk? laugh

Now you. Dang

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by geedubya
I feel ya!

Browning High Grades
M71, 348Win
M1885, 300 H&H
M65, 218 Bee

ya!

GWB
geedubya mind is severely diseased and his many fine knives and rifles are evidence of that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way too many here

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Who woulda thunk? laugh

It's kinda crazy. I average about 1.5 big game animals a year, still wondering where that half a deer went...

So, why do I have 7 (or 12 like it used to be) deer/bear/elk rifles?

I just like them! smile

Guy

C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by geedubya
I feel ya!

Browning High Grades
M71, 348Win
M1885, 300 H&H
M65, 218 Bee

ya!

GWB

Ya, but you've got some fam-dancy rifles! They're purty!

Guy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Who woulda thunk? laugh

Now you. Dang

Hey...Ive whittled my collection down to 8 long guns and 5 handguns! And only one of the rifles is over .224 cal. ( Course the .223 and .223AI get used for most of my bigger game hunting....)

Last edited by ingwe; 05/01/21.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cascade

Who woulda thunk? laugh

It's kinda crazy. I average about 1.5 big game animals a year, still wondering where that half a deer went...

So, why do I have 7 (or 12 like it used to be) deer/bear/elk rifles?

I just like them! smile

Guy

My big game animal kill to big game animal rifle ratio is much further out of whack. About the only thing I kill each year is time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have way more than I need and fewer than I want, but as long as no one in the house is missing any meals, I make no apologies. I do enjoy them.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oh hell I have 40 rifles capable of killing a deer. It gives me comfort to know that if I get the hankering to hunt an Elephant I have 4 rifles capable of getting the job done. I like single shots and have them from the 250 Savage to 405 Winchester BUT my biggest downfall are custom rifles. I've kept my smith busy with a new rifle for the last 6 years and were just waiting on a barrel for this years rifle project. Between the Pre 64 M70's, Ruger #1's one custom High Wall and the custom bolt rifles I use what I have and have what I need......until the next one.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Who woulda thunk? laugh

I think I can help. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 29aholic, 32 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,343
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.