-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I recently rediscovered this 32-40 hiding in a safe. If you lose track of a gun this good, you may have reached your practical limit. LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LOL
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't have that problem... I got rid of all of my guns, so I don't have to worry about that any more...

I destroyed them all before the government takes them and do that to them.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Well today I bought some dies for one rifle and put a layaway on another. It is strangely my first Ruger rifle. Im not in Gedubya's orbit but I figure that I stack up pretty good as a looney to anybody who is my age(52). I will probably retire in a couple of years and then either I will amass more or slow way down. I remember when my father had 1 Mossberg 308 win rifle without a scope and one winchester model 62 22lr. We came to Alaska when I was 10 in 1978 and he told me, don't ever sell a rifle unless you can make a lot of money on it. I have recently deviated from this but I am back in the slow steady march to get what I need.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks, The looneyism isn't quite as strong with rimfires, but I am obsessed thinking a CZ 457 needs to be added - possibly the 22lr/17hmr combo. I don't have any pics of an AR-just a good tool to me.

Bottom one is 22 Mag:
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Am struggling some
Downsized and then ended up inheriting a few.
When not shooting your own stuff enough its kinda hard IMHO to justify more.
Am a user and not a collector.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Am struggling some
Downsized and then ended up inheriting a few.
When not shooting your own stuff enough its kinda hard IMHO to justify more.
Am a user and not a collector.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Whitebird

Someday.... I hope to have a few nice rifles myself.
Until then.. Cheers

I was wondering when you were going to show up.... grin

Jerry Fisher 4-pack... smile.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeeeze... those are just wicked rifles.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

I have a limited number of rifles but they are each “just right” or they move to new homes. I stopped the rifle acquisition madness after I counted parts for around 20 new rifles in addition to the 10-15 which were finished.

I sold all the parts and several rifles. I have continued to attempt to build the perfect light 270. The improvements are at most minor but I enjoy the process. I have been hunting buffalo so I needed a bigger stick. I fiddled with a 416 but lately use a 375 H&H.

I am very familiar with the two that remain. Neither has failed me. I like having less stuff around me.

Last edited by RinB; 05/02/21. Reason: Grammar

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R

PS For me the perfect battery for BG hunting is a very light 270, a slightly heavier 30/06, and a 375 or 416. My recent success causes me to slightly favor the 375.

Last edited by RinB; 05/02/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB

PS For me the perfect battery for BG hunting is a very light 270, a slightly heavier 30/06, and a 375 or 416. My recent success causes me to slightly favor the 375.

Hard to beat that line-up.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RinB

Hard to beat that line-up.

I wished I could just follow that advice!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Until then.. Cheers

yowsir!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by geedubya

Until then.. Cheers

yowsir!

GWB

I know! You fellas put up some mighty nice rifles.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Until then.. Cheers

Do you have any Biesen's for sale. Only trying to help a brother out..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Well today I bought some dies for one rifle and put a layaway on another. It is strangely my first Ruger rifle. Im not in Gedubya's orbit but I figure that I stack up pretty good as a looney to anybody who is my age(52). I will probably retire in a couple of years and then either I will amass more or slow way down. I remember when my father had 1 Mossberg 308 win rifle without a scope and one winchester model 62 22lr. We came to Alaska when I was 10 in 1978 and he told me, don't ever sell a rifle unless you can make a lot of money on it. I have recently deviated from this but I am back in the slow steady march to get what I need.

Hey neighbor, congrats on the upcoming Ruger! They are my favorite. I only have two hunting rifles, a 338 RCM for the mountain hiking and the dog sled scabbard for winter caribou, and a 416 Ruger for anchoring the large bulls on the dry banks on canoe hunts.

The initial cost of setting up a good hunting rifle (dies, brass, scope, bullets) give me a smidgen of anxiety and buyer's remorse. It is expensive when ur homesteading or bush dwelling.

Now I tried a single rifle (browning 95 41 caliber carbine) which was great to anchor the big moose on canoe hunts, but was a bit heavy lugging around in winter on snow shoes with heavy winter clothes.

The scoped 338 RCM shaved 1lb 4 oz off what I used to carry.

A 225 grain bonded boat tail at 2700 fps will reach out and touch some sht. Its flat shooting in bear country.

The 416 Ruger will anchor them 1600-1800 lb, rut charged moose on the dry ground along our Alaskan Rivers.

2 rifles is all I need........
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I passed on a Voere Titan II today. I really wanted it, but sure didn’t need it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I passed on a 7mm 08 Bergara today.
Passed on a new Hoyt compound too

Took the cash out of my pocket and put it back in the gunsafe.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by kaboku68

Hey neighbor, congrats on the upcoming Ruger! They are my favorite. I only have two hunting rifles, a 338 RCM for the mountain hiking and the dog sled scabbard for winter caribou, and a 416 Ruger for anchoring the large bulls on the dry banks on canoe hunts.

The initial cost of setting up a good hunting rifle (dies, brass, scope, bullets) give me a smidgen of anxiety and buyer's remorse. It is expensive when ur homesteading or bush dwelling.

Now I tried a single rifle (browning 95 41 caliber carbine) which was great to anchor the big moose on canoe hunts, but was a bit heavy lugging around in winter on snow shoes with heavy winter clothes.

The scoped 338 RCM shaved 1lb 4 oz off what I used to carry.

A 225 grain bonded boat tail at 2700 fps will reach out and touch some sht. Its flat shooting in bear country.

The 416 Ruger will anchor them 1600-1800 lb, rut charged moose on the dry ground along our Alaskan Rivers.

2 rifles is all I need........
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You would love the gun I found dies for. It is a Model 71 in 348-450 Ackley Improved that was set up with an old Bushnell Scope Chief 4X that is set to the left with a Williams mount that I have never seen before nor likely will see again. God smiles on madmen and rains on the Scotts so I found an older Alaskan friend who had a brother who ran one that was built by Bill Fuller at Harold Cooper's Gun Shop. His brother's widow gave the rifle away to a good family friend but somehow kept the dies so for 200 dollars I have dies for both the 348-450 AI and for a 450 Alaskan.

The Ruger is a Ruger 77/22 in 22 hornet that has been shot 8 times with a 4X compact m8 Leupold scope. I might have to send the barreled action back to CT Precision Chambering who will pin the two piece bolt and then rechamber the barrel to minimum specifications for a decent price. I am in the sprint part of the finish of my urban experience and will be moving back down to Chitina Country in a year or two.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The 348-450 AI is in the center between a 45-70 and a 458 Win Mag. It duplicates the 458 Win Mag.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool rifle. Those big cartridges off the 348 are serious horses.

Last edited by beretzs; 05/02/21.

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 3,106 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,255
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.