-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 41 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 40 41
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only thing that seems to make sense to me about religion is the world would be much better off if folks kept their beliefs known but to them and their God. When people try to persuade others to their faith things get ugly. Often bloody. Sometimes they've wound up the main course in places peopled by heathens and savages. I suppose that tests the depth of one's faith, no?

Mebbe a really devout person would sacrifice themselves to their God to further the cause.

That's most of what I know about religion.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
"I thought it was funny � "

Reminds me of the city cop who thought that it was hilarious when a man tried to kidnap my young daughter on her way to school. It was hard to decide which feces-brain should be shot first. Things that hurt or threaten others are funny only to sick minds that aren't hurt or threatened by 'em.

frown

Pretty fair analogy, NOT...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Am I the only one here who sees identical puerile cruelty in all of the above?

frown

No, you're not, Ken. You said what I was trying to convey much more eloquently.

Regardless of how each one of us feels about CATC, Fish280's message expressed pain and hurt and loss. To trivialize that or profess to find humor in it because "humor will make things better" is cruel. At least tell him you are sorry he is hurting (you all ARE sorry, aren't you????) and treat him with the dignity and respect he deserves as a member of the Campfire.

Thanks, Ken.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Funny, I didn't see Fish post on this thread.

But you are correct and I am so sorry he is hurting. I will pray for him and all of you in fact. God Bless us all, each and every person here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Catholic bashing?....

My gosh, did no one think to contact Father Guido Sarducci....? grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Penny don't worry we are everywhere on nearly every thread!

I quit going to CATC because every discussion seemed to either get as deep as advanced nuclear physics or turned to bashing, I am too simple minded and impatient for either. I just know Jesus died for my sins, was buried, resurrected and promised if I believed in him he would be back for me someday....that's enough for megrin

I've lived with him and without him, I prefer with him!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Where did the Bear Hunting Forum go?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I've lived with him and without him, I prefer with him!

Mike

Amen, amen, and amen, Mike! Me, too.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, you're not...again! Bullies and bstards are the same everywhere, and here is no exception.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
i get what your saying Ken, still enjoy talking with ppl about their beliefs. �

To paraphrase Twain's wonderful sentence on "the right word," the difference between the typical layman's opinion (or understanding) and his denomination's doctrines is like the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. Both are interesting in their own right, but they're not to be mistaken one for the other.

A particularly articulate secretary of mine, for example, was a Mormon with Southern Baptist notions that were perpendicularly cross-wise with Mormon doctrine.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Catholic bashing?....

My gosh, did no one think to contact Father Guido Sarducci....? grin

Ok, I admit....that one was funny

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And closer to the real topic, my wife is a big churchbanger, and I have come into close contact with many of the churched through her.

Taken as a whole, I ain't seen much difference in the churched and the unchurched, I'm not talking words, I'm talking actions, which is beliefs personified.

I do recall from my drinking days that the barroom crowd was a lot less critical of other folks in light of their own obvious flaws than was the case with the church crowd.

Got me to thinking that maybe Jesus hung out with who he did in part because he preferred the company.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
� maybe Jesus hung out with who he did in part because he preferred the company.

In Jesus's day, there was a disparate community of ordinary people � the am ha'aretz (עם הארץ), "people of the land" � who could be characterized only by what they weren't. They weren't Pharisees � they weren't Sadducees � they weren't Herodians � etc. When all the identifiable categories were sorted-out and filled-up, what was left � unsorted and unsortable � was a passel of people who weren't like any other � or like each other. I call 'em "the et ceteras."

Jesus most often hob-nobbed with 'em, and some authorities believe that He was an am ha'aretz Himself. (Which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
i get what your saying Ken, still enjoy talking with ppl about their beliefs. �

To paraphrase Twain's wonderful sentence on "the right word," the difference between the typical layman's opinion (or understanding) and his denomination's doctrines is like the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. Both are interesting in their own right, but they're not to be mistaken one for the other.

A particularly articulate secretary of mine, for example, was a Mormon with Southern Baptist notions that were perpendicularly cross-wise with Mormon doctrine.

i guess Ken that ive always just understood i was talking about a persons own beliefs and the generalities of their chosen religion. im an amature student of psychology and human behavior.......tend to find an individual persons beliefs more interesting and informative than the religion itself...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rabble rouser......grin

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shipster
Teal, exactly Stick was banned not a forum.

Hey wait just a damned minute, you saying Stick was banned cuz he was Jewish?

shocked

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everything happens for a reason....it's a function....put in, get out. This place will survive, and morph.

Sucks, though....for those that lost something they enjoyed...cuz of a few A-holes.

HoundGirl

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Pardon me, but where's all the Christian forgiveness. I'm seeing a lot of finger pointing over basically nothing.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Good on you, Rick.

But what are the fellas who posted only at CATC, like Sanlen and the others, gonna do? Hopefully, they are hunting/shooting guys like the rest of us and will join in up here. Or maybe not.

Anyway, you done good. Badnasty cannot go on forever.

Steve

Good question. Anyways the whole thread got me too fired up. It should have been something to make me feel good like the rest of the Campfire forms but often it didn't. Darn shame. Well at least I can still talk smack about those shooting .30-06 over .308. Or worse yet those thinking that Smallmouth are not the world's best fish. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WoodsWalker
Or worse yet those thinking that Smallmouth are not the world's best fish.

Heck, everyone knows Pike are the Worlds Best Fish, to eat and for catching! grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Page 11 of 41 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10Glocks, 1234, 1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 12savage, 60 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,300
Posts18,505,361
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.