Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 41 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 40 41
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Most sane bar owners discourage talk about religion for a reason. Booz and god don't mix well. Mixing guns and booz or guns and god is also asking for trouble!

1B

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I can't find the bear hunting forum either.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Follow the spoor. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by dogzapper
Good on you, Rick.

But what are the fellas who posted only at CATC, like Sanlen and the others, gonna do? Hopefully, they are hunting/shooting guys like the rest of us and will join in up here. Or maybe not.

Anyway, you done good. Badnasty cannot go on forever.

Steve

It seems that there is never any change. While there were a few posts on the CATC forum that were hateful, the vast majority were not. In the course of time many groups were drug over coals about their belief system, including the Baptists in a very hateful way. Strange, no one seemed to complain about that too much, including the Baptists. But there was one constant that never changed, and it seems never will. Many, many times I stated that anyone is free to believe what they wish, but that does not mean that everyone else has to agree. My view of the forum was learning what others thought and believed. I never considered it something that might �change my mind� about something I believed, or that I would change others, just that in so doing we could learn about each other.

That kind of communication threatens some people. It seems they are not secure in a world where they can hear people who know and understand what they think, but have the audacity to disagree. Much of what has been said to be Catholic bashing was simply not agreeing with what some Catholics said. There were a couple of people who truly �bashed� Catholics, but others simply wanted a balanced conversation, and I think I fit into that group, though it would seem mine has been the only name that has been mentioned. I guess that being willing to allow others the freedom to believe and practice what they wish, but wanting that contrasted and compared with other ideas and what others believe is �bashing�. Interesting definition.

Dogzapper, there were several times I defended your right to believe and say what you wished, and stated that I enjoyed hearing what you had to say and hoped you continued posting. (And BTW, I have posted on quite a few of the forums, like AR, levers, pistols, etc., but I spend more time on some of the Marlin sites.) Neither you nor I expected me to agree with everything you said, but as I said several times, if all I heard were my opinions repeated how would I learn anything? Did I disagree at times, and say so? Yes, but telling the other side is not bashing. If what I did was �Catholic bashing�, then what you and others did in stating your ideas must also be considered �Baptist bashing�. How many times have I asked that we just agree to disagree and go on to some other topic where we could find more common ground? You will never know how many times I did not reply to pointedly anti-Baptist posts, decidedly slanted pro-Catholic posts, or attacks against me personally, all because they would either not be received in the way I would wish, or would simply cause more strife. I imagine that there were others, including Catholics, who could say the same.

I enjoy a good discussion, complete with evidence for and against ideas. This evidence is considered an argument for or against (not an �argument� in the terms of a fight). This is especially true for me with religion and politics, probably because it is impossible to do for most people. It seems most people can only fight about it and never consider the merits of the other side�s argument. Rick Bin, if you read the last post I made, which was never posted because the forum was already down (I usually entered the forum from favorites, or bookmarks, and from these you can still see the CATC forum, so I didn�t know it was down until I sent the post), I would think you would see that, but I am not sure now.

The reason I say that is because, as Fish280, I see a diabolical side to this. I see a side that simply got tired of being disagreed with, of not having what they said accepted simply because they said it. I don�t call it bigotry, however. To me it is censorship. While I agree it is your site, Rick, and you can do what you wish, I think to say CATC was shut down because of the bigotry there may have been a cheap shot, as is most of the �discussion� I�ve seen on this thread. To go by this would mean that you cannot have any real discussion on the Campfire. Disagree with Rick and he�ll pull the plug on you. By putting a sticker on threads such as the Pope�s views and explanations, which meant it would always be at the top, you actually placed it where people couldn�t avoid it, and incited more comments instead of just letting it die.

It seems that it is impossible for some to separate individuals from an organization. Funny thing is (though I�m sure that some will consider this �bashing�) by this action many simply had their opinions (whether true or false they will never know now) of Catholic individuals and the Catholic Church forever merged. I�ve already had people email me with complaints about how Catholics censor things they don�t like. Again, this is not necessarily what I think, but what has already been said to me. To them this is just another Inquisition with Rick as the Grand Inquisitor. �They don�t accept our beliefs? Turn them on the spic for a few minutes� that will teach them. Don�t agree with Catholic doctrine? Boil them in oil. Dare to post their ideas that don�t agree with Catholic dogma? Cancel the forum�. And, don�t just cancel the forum and say it was for the sake of harmony and simply time to move on to something new, but make sure you vilify those that dared to disagree with you when you do it, and foster the one sided hate that this thread has revealed. Oh yeah, this was a good move, Rick. Sadly, it didn�t have to be this way.

I was looking forward to the Rendezvous next spring. It would have been good to sit around and commune with many of those I�ve shared thoughts with over the last few years and share a big pot of chilli (with or without beans). Now, I don�t think I would enjoy it, or be especially welcome. Besides, some may forget that there are laws concerning this now and decide to burn one more Baptist on the woodpile. We might be in season come spring.

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mac84
There's the rub garry, what makes you right and someone else wrong? How can you respect the right of someone believing differently than you, but in the same breath, tell them they're wrong?

Mac

It's a matter of saying, "I think you're wrong". It's also a matter of being able to rationalize your stand point. That does not have to happen with disrespect attached. As a Baptist I have to have Biblical backing for beliefs.

For example, I saw a program on T. V. in which a Nun was speaking. She said that if someone did not believe in the divinity of Mary or rejected the authority of the Pope they would go to hell. She stated that it was a tenant of the church, yet gave no Biblical foundation. I just caulk it up to unsubstantiated opinion. She certainly has a right to that opinion and I would discuss it with her, and I would tell her I thought she was wrong. I'm sure she would say the same to me. Hopefully we wouldn't attack one another. It's not like we are sunni and shia muslims and will slit each others throats.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the first texts that I studied as a theology student, an encyclopedic guide to church doctrines, made the point that much of traditional church doctrine was hammered-out on the anvil of heresy. IOW, they were formulated specifically to refute specific heresies that had arisen.

Further study revealed the basic flaw in that process � formulating basic doctrine from within the dim caverns of personal understanding rather than from careful study of God's revelations of Himself and His will.

Further study also revealed that many "heresies" were in fact scripturally sound � that the church doctrines that were intended to refute them were in fact contrary to God's revelations of Himself and His will.

Whatever anyone's personal opinion or understanding may be, the only ones that count are God's � and they aren't always automatically obvious to personal meditation or committees' decisions.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken,

I often wonder if it's so simple that all we talk about is frosting on the cake. That the simple belief of Chist as savior is the only thing important, and that the smaller things, and rituals, are just fluff.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by garryc
[quote=Mac84]I saw a program on T. V. in which a Nun was speaking. She said that if someone did not believe in the divinity of Mary...they would go to hell.

In a worldwide organization with +/- a billion members, there is a wide diversity of theological belief. The new Pope has been trying to reel in some of the crackpots. Agree or disagree with authentic Catholic teaching but that nun was one of them.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
reel in some of the crackpots. Agree or disagree with authentic Catholic teaching but that nun was one of them.
Authentic or crackpot?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wuzzagrunt
[quote=Mac84]I saw a program on T. V. in which a Nun was speaking. She said that if someone did not believe in the divinity of Mary...they would go to hell.

In a worldwide organization with +/- a billion members, there is a wide diversity of theological belief. The new Pope has been trying to reel in some of the crackpots. Agree or disagree with authentic Catholic teaching but that nun was one of them.

I have been a member of the Catholic church for about 10 years, I have never once heard in mass or RCIA anything about The Virgin Mary being divine.
I believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, end of story.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ricky,you rabble-rousing troublemaker,stop it right now !

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ken,

I often wonder if it's so simple that all we talk about is frosting on the cake. That the simple belief of Chist as savior is the only thing important, and that the smaller things, and rituals, are just fluff.

You've got it, Garry!!! You've GOT it!

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn

Ken,

You've got it, Garry!!! You've GOT it!

Penny

Exactly.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NOT "exactly" . I see it that way, but some see the rituals as being the essence or at least essential.

And that's the way the "bashings" start.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by gene williams
NOT "exactly" . I see it that way, but some see the rituals as being the essence or at least essential.

And that's the way the "bashings" start.

If folks want to add stuff to what's essential, that's their call. But if we all agree on the essential (Jesus Christ crucified and risen), then we all have something in common to celebrate.

When Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door, I tell them that I am already a believer and a member of a church. But I tell them, "God bless you for going door to door for Him when you could be sitting at home watching TV."

I don't have to be the same denomination as someone to love them in Christ, and support them in their work for God.

What we believers on the Campfire need to do is to go feed the homeless together or do some other work for the Lord... that will bind us together pretty quickly, and no one will want to argue theology.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by gene williams
Ricky,you rabble-rousing troublemaker,stop it right now !

I ain't and I ain't.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ms.Penny;re your post :

EXACTLY!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sanlen the one thing that I always liked about your posts is they always made the reader think.

Steve

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty full of yourself huh?

CATC was dominated by a small group of people who took delight in attacking those that didn't agree. No bashing? Just disagreements?

"The Catholic religion is straight out of the pits of hell."

"How can you have a "church" when heathen people gather in the name of false doctrine?"

"The devil is a master counterfeiter, do you really think he wastes his time hanging out at the Church of Satan?"

"Satan wants God's children to associate with his children in an unholy alliance -Don't do it! Billy Graham has caused millions of people to see no harm in the Catholic religion. I tell you, the Catholic religion is straight from hell."

"The Catholic church is based upon TRADITIONS and not upon the Bible. Even by twisting the Bible out of context, it's still impossible for Catholics to justify their ridiculous religion."

"Look at the creepy picture below of the Great Catholic Whore, notice the scars in her hands..." (in refernce to the Virgin Mary)

Thats the feces that was slung there - and you and others on your side of the fence kept quiet. Sure IIRC there were 2 (wow 2) posts saying it might be a bit strong, no apology came from it tho. That same individual also posted calling Mary a wh**e. Now I call your mother that ans the place here would explode - he could call the mother of CHRIST that and no one said anything. But there was no bashing right ? Just disagreement over beliefs.

I never told anyone they had to renounce their life and become Catholic - simply asked that they live how they claim to be - Christian and treat me (us) with the same respect that we have afforded them.

As to the sticky item - people insulted Rick by their posting - deeply. He placed the stickies there and didn't get in the conversation that followed - simply put them out there as "this is what we believe". Some could not accept that dunno why. I mean how many times do I need to tell someone who never was RC but "knows a guy" that what they think I believe is wrong? No I am wrong - because I don't know my own mind?

Mac - that wasn't the first time I posted on Medjugorje - I hung a thread about it once - back in 03 or very early 04 and my pm box filled up with 2000 ways I was going to hell.

This is what Rick posted down there:

"Gentlemen:

For years, at great discomfort to me, my fellow Catholics, and some other very worthy Protestants and other Christians whose influence and participation on this forum would be greatly beneficial, and because of my distaste for meddling, I have stood by and allowed this forum to evolve into a place that is objectionable to many, dare I say, to the majority.

As a result, the participation of many, many highly qualified and devout Christians has been sorely missing from these pages, for the benefit of a very few whose modus operandi seems to be the exclusion of those whose beliefs do not mirror their own.

Very recently, out-and-out bigoted and hateful anti-Catholic commentary has been posted, explicitly seconded by a regular contributor to this forum, and has been allowed to stand without rebuke by many. That is shameful to those who approve, embarrassing to me as the owner of this site, hurtful to me and my fellow Catholics and our families as Catholics, and demeaning to all of us as a group.

This will not happen on this forum or on 24hourcampfire anymore.

1] I created Christ at the Campfire as a place for Christians of all denominations to fellowship. Lofty as that goal was, and certainly mindful of the controversies that were sure to arise when dealing with issues of faith, I nevertheless was hopeful and anticipated that the quality of membership on the Campfire would allow us to enjoy a respectful, sophisticated, and non-prejudicial level of discourse, for our collective benefit.

I remain absolutely convinced that this is not only possible, but desirable, as I and many others of different Christian denominations have been doing just that via PM.

2] If I must be respectful, tolerant, patient, and decent to members of other denominations with whom I disagree, whether mildly or vehemently, on this forum that I created, then so does everyone else! I cannot see how that is an unreasonable request.

3] Nobody who has been reading this forum over the last week has any doubt about what and of whom I write, but let me lay it on the line:

If you wish to continue posting in an ignorant and bigoted manner about any denomination, then please grace us by taking your bigotry elsewhere, immediately and permanently. It will not be tolerated here any longer.

I will note, for the record, that some of the very individuals who were most vociferous in calling for the banning of Big Stick for his repeated racist comments about lhonda and Asians are the very individuals posting the over-the-top anti-Catholic lies, misrepresentations, and ignorant fabrications now. The sad part is that I and most everyone else believes Larry was half-joking and pushing buttons to get a rise (and he did). The comments posted this week are much more egregious, hateful, offensive, malicious, repressed, and ignorantly bigoted, and thus much more worthy of rebuke.

The silence of some speaks volumes!

NOTE WELL:

The purpose of this post is expressly to open the doors and welcome anew any and all divergent viewpoints on Christianity at CATC which a member feels is worthy of discussion and/or study in an atmosphere and environment in which they can assume basic levels of respect and decency, and intelligent, intellectual discourse in which the ultimate result may be and often will be:

"We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point."

I doubt I'm going to convert anyone to Catholicism via the Internet, and I expect I will not be converted to Protestantism here either.

But that does not mean we have to allow, or I have to tolerate, explicit, willy-nilly, ignorant bigotry in a specific case, nor in general allow a handful of contributors of one denomination to alienate and marginalize those with whom they disagree.

NOBODY has a monopoly on Jesus Christ nor on His salvation!

If I am wrong about the Campfire's ability to meet this standard, and I have been often wrong before, then I will most certainly be changing or eliminating CATC.

I will not sponsor ignorant bigotry, nor support it with my silence any longer!

Call this a line in the sand.

Rick Bin"

Nothing there says we are gonna protect Catholics and burn the rest.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RickBin,

I will say that I am going to miss "Christ at the Campfire". I did enjoy sharing my faith with others and learned a great deal in some of the more "heated" discussions.

As an Orthodox Christian and non-Protestant, I felt many of those barbs that the Roman Catholics felt. My faith saw me through them and I would continue to engage in the conversations. Some of the "sparring" also made me research some view points that were different than mine and helped stregthen my own beliefs.

Thank you for creating CATC and allowing it to go on as long as you did, even though it pained you to do so. It was not all in vain.

God bless you,

Dan

Last edited by Dantheman; 08/14/07.
Page 12 of 41 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (163bc, 320090T, 10Glocks, 3333vl, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,213
Posts18,503,931
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.