Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 41 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 40 41
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by RickyD
If it was that important, why didn't anyone notice it had ceased to exist ???????????????????
How did you know they didn't notice and just didn't hang a post about it? I noticed before Steely hung his but I'm kinda shy. smile

A quick count revealed about 300 odd posts about it in 36 hours. Ya'll haven't been that shy smile

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Penguin - I have had these discussions around a real campfire. Then again we all agreed the 30-06 was finer than frog hair! smile

I also realize my cursor can and does move over stuff I do not want to read - others can do the same.

Me

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by Sanlen
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I've studied the origins and history of the Roman Catholic Church � even read Father Chiniquy's hard-to-find autobiographical Fifty Years in the Church of Rome � and its spin-offs. I find it significantly at odds with my understanding of God's great eternal plan for us.

But God, for whatever His reasons may be, lets it continue to operate. So who am I to try to discredit it or to destroy it? I see chinks in its walls, but I'm content to let God work on 'em as He sees fit. One theme of my book In Step with the Master is to let God guide His own Hand in the great spiritual storm that He is even now stirring, which no "wood, hay, or stubble" will survive.

Ken,

Those are my exact feelings as well. I've even said very similar things. Welcome to the ranks of Catholic bashers.

Sanlen - would you say that what I posted by that particular poster - the comments that led Rick to drawing the line in teh sand are Catholic bashing or do you consider them "Spreading the Truth!"?

Nope. Like I said, there were some who went well over any line, and usually many of us either called them on it, or asked them to at the least substantiate what they said. Those kind of statements serve no real purpose. But if someone claims one thing (such as the Catholic Church being the only church ) and some one else states that it wasn't, is that Catholic Bashing, or just a difference of opinion?

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Penguin, your avatar looks to be the fellow from Firefly, do you watch a bit of science fiction ?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I've never seen this many fleas arguing over who owns the dog.

Now there's one worth remembering. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by teal
Penguin - ..... we all agreed the 30-06 was finer than frog hair! smile

You have snatched a stone of Wisdom from the hand of the Master young Grasshopper. smile

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
Originally Posted by RickyD
If it was that important, why didn't anyone notice it had ceased to exist ???????????????????
How did you know they didn't notice and just didn't hang a post about it? I noticed before Steely hung his but I'm kinda shy. smile

A quick count revealed about 300 odd posts about it in 36 hours. Ya'll haven't been that shy smile

Darn! The wife musta been posting on my account again! grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sanlen
� Ken � Welcome to the ranks of Catholic bashers.

That comment is completely beyond my ability to comprehend.

smile

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Penguin, your avatar looks to be the fellow from Firefly, do you watch a bit of science fiction ?

Yes, that was my favorite TV show. Have the entire DVD set and Serenity as well. Old Jayne Cobb was one for the ages. In that picture he actually has more than a passing resemblance to me so I put it up.

Will

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Garry,
We would be on the same side of the debate in the debatable points you mention. There might be a few we wouldn't be on the same side of. That wouldn't bother me and I doubt it would bother you. At the end of the day we would still be Brothers in Christ, I believe.

I don't think Rick shut it down just for Catholic bashing though that was likely the final ironic straw. Some folks down there were genuine equal opportunity bashers. Not many but a few. They routinely targeted any not exactly like themselves of which there were fortunately none. A another or two were great pot stirrers. They would hang a post and watch the fur fly never entering back into the fray. The rest of us could be equal opportunity debaters/arguers/seekers of the truth..........your call. But we would also be quick to lift a brother up and pray for those we didn't know. I think that's significant. Others MMV.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I seldom posted at CATC. I agree there was enough toxic stuff there that it often wasn�t worth the effort to try to filter out the good/uplifting stuff. I did check in after the flap about the Pope writing that the Catholic Church was the only genuine Church due to IIRC a direct linage to Christ�s disciples <or something along those lines> My point is, he knew his words caused great anger and hurt among the Protestant world.
When the other flap occurred over the Pope saying something along the lines of islam has done some mean things back in the 1400s followed by muslims go into a worldwide seething fit, and kill an elderly nun or two the Pope makes a trip to Turkey and says something about he was sorry if his meaning was misunderstood. I will give him credit for not saying islam is peace�. But he threw them some sort of face saving bone.
I made a few very careful posts looking for any insight into the catholic posters views on what the Pope had said and then just backed off. �
Perhaps I missed an explanation of how the Pope was not being disrespectful to those of the Protestant faith�.

Below is what I was refering to. I like to believe there are different Christian bodies that serve the Lord. Over the years I have had only one Catholic friend that was devoted in a deep way. Perhaps there is a Cathloic poster here who would like to explain how the Pope was not "Protestant bashing" when he wrote this:
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,288841,00.html

"The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith said it was issuing the new document on ecumenism because some contemporary theological interpretations of Vatican II's ecumenical intent had been "erroneous or ambiguous" and had prompted confusion and doubt.

The new document -- formulated as five questions and answers -- restates key sections of a 2000 text the pope wrote when he was prefect of the congregation, "Dominus Iesus," which riled Protestant, Lutheran and other Christian denominations because it said they were not true churches but merely ecclesial communities and therefore did not have the "means of salvation."

"Christ 'established here on earth' only one Church," said the document released as the pope vacations at a villa in Lorenzago di Cadore, in Italy's Dolomite mountains.

The other communities "cannot be called 'churches' in the proper sense" because they do not have apostolic succession -- the ability to trace their bishops back to Christ's original apostles -- and therefore their priestly ordinations are not valid, it said."

It's a simple answer.

We had a whole thread on it.

I posted the Pope's ACTUAL STATEMENT, and pointed out how MSNBC had not only mischaracterized what the Pope said, but actually stated the OPPOSITE re Protestant churches and salvation.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Penguin
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Yes, that was my favorite TV show. Have the entire DVD set and Serenity as well. Old Jayne Cobb was one for the ages. In that picture he actually has more than a passing resemblance to me so I put it up.

Will

I have Serenity as well and it is one of the better shows, where did you pick up the entire Television set?
James.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Wouldn't it be kind of weird if the head of the Catholic Church DIDN'T think it's teaching is the correct route to salvation?

Well then Steve do you see the irony of catholics getting all worked up when some MEMBERS of other Churchs say "bashing" things about them while the world wide LEADER of the Catholic Church is saying everybody that isn't catholic is going to Hell? I sure do.

Uhh, excuse me, but that is not what he said. Try again. Tell you what, here's what he said:

"�It follows that these separated churches and Communities, though we believe they suffer from defects, are deprived neither of significance nor importance in the mystery of salvation. In fact the Spirit of Christ has not refrained from using them as instruments of salvation, whose value derives from that fullness of grace and of truth which has been entrusted to the Catholic Church�[12].

That is VERBATIM from his statement.

Get your facts straight.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pithy stuff going on in the Episcopal Church there Steve.....<Psst, which way do you think they are going to go on the Gay/Lesbian ordaniation thing?>

I think the church is going to split. The Archbishop of Canterbury is going to be here next month (in New Orleans, considered neutral turf by the feuding groups). I don't see the poofter priest group backing down, and if they don't the fight over church property if the split occurs will be ugly and public.

The world-wide Anglican church simply cannot do its missionary work where the church's enemies can truthfully say they support buggery and even condone it in the hierarchy. We are in the midst of a search for a new rector, and you'd be amazed how many people act like that's not a significant issue.

First I am not a Catholicism basher but why not after all Pope's has been doing it for dare I say centuries. The cover-ups all for the sake of filling the coffers of the Vatican is just plain reprehensible. Shamefully the molestations of boys has been condoned by the hierarchy of the Catholic Church for hundreds of years. The proof of this abhorrent behavior -- the court system is finally getting this out in the open and the Catholic Church itself is admitting it when forced to do so. Who is the CEO of this money making machine --- the Pope and the buck stops there!

If this happened in any other industry or in Government it would be on the front page everyday and people would be going to jail. Yes in some isolated instances, priests have been incarcerated however, in many of the cases �Management� was aware and even transferred these pedophiles around the country to depredate again. This was done to avoid any potential embarrassment and subsequent financial impact to the coffers. Were they ever prosecuted --- never happen to unpopular to do so and as a result --- The Hypocrisy Lives On.

Sorry to offend some but it is the truth.

NRA Life Member
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry Rick but I gotta laugh. Deja vu?(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
James,

Picked it up at the local mall. I am not sure if it was at Circuit City or the music store. One of the other. It was on the bestseller list at amazon.com for months. I'm sure they would have it. The unaired episodes alone are worth the price.

Will

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss
Pithy stuff going on in the Episcopal Church there Steve.....<Psst, which way do you think they are going to go on the Gay/Lesbian ordaniation thing?>

I think the church is going to split. The Archbishop of Canterbury is going to be here next month (in New Orleans, considered neutral turf by the feuding groups). I don't see the poofter priest group backing down, and if they don't the fight over church property if the split occurs will be ugly and public.

The world-wide Anglican church simply cannot do its missionary work where the church's enemies can truthfully say they support buggery and even condone it in the hierarchy. We are in the midst of a search for a new rector, and you'd be amazed how many people act like that's not a significant issue.

First I am not a Catholicism basher but why not after all Pope's has been doing it for dare I say centuries. The cover-ups all for the sake of filling the coffers of the Vatican is just plain reprehensible. Shamefully the molestations of boys has been condoned by the hierarchy of the Catholic Church for hundreds of years. The proof of this abhorrent behavior -- the court system is finally getting this out in the open and the Catholic Church itself is admitting it when forced to do so. Who is the CEO of this money making machine --- the Pope and the buck stops there!

If this happened in any other industry or in Government it would be on the front page everyday and people would be going to jail. Yes in some isolated instances, priests have been incarcerated however, in many of the cases �Management� was aware and even transferred these pedophiles around the country to depredate again. This was done to avoid any potential embarrassment and subsequent financial impact to the coffers. Were they ever prosecuted --- never happen to unpopular to do so and as a result --- The Hypocrisy Lives On.

Sorry to offend some but it is the truth.

We have had the same rockspiders over here, it is about time the church's were held responsible for allowing these creatures sanctuary.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boss Hoss:

Have you lost your mind?

Are you honestly trying to start a **** throwing argument? You could have stated everything in your post without insulting one single person.... instead you chose to make your opinions known in a way that was calculated to cause hard feelings.

No wonder Rick shut that place down.

Will

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RickBin
Wouldn't it be kind of weird if the head of the Catholic Church DIDN'T think it's teaching is the correct route to salvation?

Well then Steve do you see the irony of catholics getting all worked up when some MEMBERS of other Churchs say "bashing" things about them while the world wide LEADER of the Catholic Church is saying everybody that isn't catholic is going to Hell? I sure do.

Uhh, excuse me, but that is not what he said. Try again. Tell you what, here's what he said:

"�It follows that these separated churches and Communities, though we believe they suffer from defects, are deprived neither of significance nor importance in the mystery of salvation. In fact the Spirit of Christ has not refrained from using them as instruments of salvation, whose value derives from that fullness of grace and of truth which has been entrusted to the Catholic Church�[12].

That is VERBATIM from his statement.

Get your facts straight.
Are you sure that's not a quote of John Paul II?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Okay Will, I am hooked.........you just know it will take me six months to find, I shall also check Ebay.
I was not even aware that the Television episodes were available.
James.

Page 17 of 41 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1234, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,473,018
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.