Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Tired of hearing Republicans DO NOTHING BUT SQUAWK?

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mkt_m...ok-board-upholds-trump-ban_3803542.html?

Democrats cheer board's decision, call for ban to be made permanent

BY ZACHARY STIEBER May 5, 2021 Updated: May 5, 2021

Congressional Republicans on May 5, upset with the decision by Facebook’s Oversight Board to uphold the company’s ban of former President Donald Trump, said they’d work to curb the technology giant’s power.

“Break them up,” Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said in reaction to the decision.

Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) said the decision was “a real-life example of the tyranny of Big Tech” before echoing Jordan.

Republicans have increasingly turned critical of technology giants such as Facebook as more evidence emerges showing bias against conservatives.

“Facebook is more interested in acting like a Democrat Super PAC than a platform for free speech and open debate. If they can ban President Trump, all conservative voices could be next. A House Republican majority will rein in Big Tech power over our speech,” House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) wrote in a tweet on May 5.

Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) called for “aggressive antitrust reform” to end what he described as Facebook’s monopoly.

Republicans lost control of the House of Representatives in early 2019 and ceded the majority in the upper chamber in January. They hope to flip both in the 2022 midterms.

They could have trouble garnering enough votes for their legislative preferences in dealing with Big Tech if they don’t.

Democrats largely praised the upholding of Facebook’s suspension.

“As far as the decision of Facebook goes, I applaud that decision. Facebook is not the public square. We need to remember that it’s not,” said House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) in a Washington Post Live interview.

“There’s no Constitutional protection for using social media to incite an insurrection. Trump is willing to do anything for himself no matter the danger to our country. His big lies have cost America dearly. And until he stops, Facebook must ban him. Which is to say, forever,” House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) wrote on Twitter.

Still, some Democrats signaled that they want to reform laws dealing with Big Tech.

“Facebook is a disinformation-for-profit machine that won’t accept responsibility for its role in the safety of our democracy and people. Trump should be banned for good, but Facebook will continue to fumble with its power until Congress and antitrust regulators rein in Big Tech,” Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) wrote on Twitter.

Big Tech companies have generally resisted major alterations to rules governing them, primarily Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. But they have supported some changes, including stripping of immunity for companies that don’t appropriately remove illegal posts.

Facebook’s Nick Clegg, a vice president, said company officials there were pleased with the board’s decision.

“We’re pleased the board has recognized that the unprecedented circumstances justified the exceptional measure we took,” he said in a statement, adding that the company will consider the board’s criticism of the suspension being indefinite but that Trump’s Facebook and Instagram accounts will remain suspended for now.

Trump, who is mulling another presidential bid, said in a statement that Facebook and other Big Tech companies “must pay a political price, and must never again be allowed to destroy and decimate our Electoral Process.”

“Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway, bigger and stronger than ever before. The People of our Country will not stand for it!” he wrote.

Follow Zachary on Twitter: @zackstieber
Follow Zachary on Parler: @zackstieber

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Reaction from President Trump on Facebook doubling down on ban.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mkt_m...-uphold-account-suspension_3803745.html?

Trump Reacts to Facebook’s Decision to Uphold Account Suspension
BY JACK PHILLIPS May 5, 2021 Updated: May 5, 2021 biggersmaller Print
Former President Donald Trump reacted to Facebook’s move to uphold the suspension of his account, arguing that big tech firms are working to censor Americans.

“What Facebook, Twitter, and Google have done is a total disgrace and an embarrassment to our Country. Free Speech has been taken away from the President of the United States because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway, bigger and stronger than ever before,” Trump said in a statement on May 5 after Facebook’s Oversight Board handed down a decision saying the former president’s account should be suspended.

The board, however, suggested that Trump’s ban shouldn’t be permanent and found Facebook’s indefinite suspension inappropriate. It asked the Menlo Park, California-based company to review the decision and come up with a “proportionate response” aligned with Facebook’s rules.

Facebook’s Oversight Board explained its rationale to keep the suspension in place by alleging that Trump “created an environment where a serious risk of violence was possible.” Facebook and Twitter both banned Trump in the days after the Jan. 6 Capitol breach.

“The People of our Country will not stand for it!” Trump wrote. “These corrupt social media companies must pay a political price, and must never again be allowed to destroy and decimate our Electoral Process.”

On May 4, Twitter CFO Ned Segal said that Twitter—where Trump had amassed about 90 million followers—would keep the former president’s ban in place permanently.

Saying there had been “no changes” in Twitter’s policy regarding Trump, Segal said that “we want to work hard to be consistent.”

“We don’t have an oversight board like that [like Facebook]. Our team is accountable for the decisions that we make. There is no changes to anything we have talked about in the past,” he said.

Trump’s suspension from Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, and Google platforms drew the ire of conservatives, free-speech advocates, and some world leaders, including Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

“I don’t like anybody being censored or taking away from the right to post a message on Twitter or Face(book). I don’t agree with that, I don’t accept that,” López Obrador said in early January. He argued that social media companies have outsized power to control discourse.

“How can you censor someone: ‘Let’s see, I, as the judge of the Holy Inquisition, will punish you because I think what you’re saying is harmful,’” López Obrador said. “Where is the law, where is the regulation, what are the norms? This is an issue of government, this is not an issue for private companies.”

The Epoch Times has contacted Facebook for comment.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
the GOP would first need to regain power. They are happiest though when they can bitch and moan, without any ability to do anything. Then they can blame dhimmicrats and not be held responsible themselves. The GOP could have done this years ago, but of course, did nothing. As usual.

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the GOP would first need to regain power.
Then actually find and USE their BALLS..
They are happiest though when they can bitch and moan, without any ability to do anything. Then they can blame dhimmicrats and not be held responsible themselves. The GOP could have done this years ago, but of course, did nothing. As usual.
Spot on, Sam....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Lost in all the noise is the fact that FaceBook censored all mention of Hunter Biden's criminality, including the 10% to "the big guy," during the election, even after the fourth largest US newspaper (New York Post) reported on it in detail.

A later poll showed that 1/3 of the Biden voters had never heard of these allegations. 14% said they would NOT have voted for Biden had they known.

That would have turned the election to Trump. That, not Dominion voting machines or miscounting ballots, is the real election fraud.

Facebook is Joseph Goebels on steroids. They are the de facto common carrier of communications now. They have no right to censor anything. Imagine if the US Post Office opened all letters and only let those expressing their own political views go through.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the GOP would first need to regain power.
Then actually find and USE their BALLS..
They are happiest though when they can bitch and moan, without any ability to do anything. Then they can blame dhimmicrats and not be held responsible themselves. The GOP could have done this years ago, but of course, did nothing. As usual.
Spot on, Sam....

They're next to useless.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mean while, back at the ranch.

Trump isn't allowing anyone to post their views on his site.

And I support that, it's his right.

I also support the same right for anyone, no matter how big or how small their posting sites may become the content should always be left up to the sites owners and developers.

It'd be pretty nazi like for any governing body to dictate what one might desire to host as content on their web pages.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lots of saying, writing and telling.

Not much action.

Hard to do when you'll never win an election again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope they do put the screws to Facebook, and Yahoo! and Google and Amazon while they are at it.

Amazon announced they would stop selling gun related accessories. On one hand we can say as a private company, they are entitled to market whatever items they want. On the other, Amazon and Barnes and noble are the targets of anti gunners/anti-hunter from within and without. Check this from the Lefty Site Change.Org:

[i]steven 4socialjustice started this petition to Barnes and Noble, District Manager Chris Geith and 3 others

My 9-year-old daughter recently noticed that Barnes and Noble Bookstores sell over 50 different magazines that support guns. They have multiple magazines that promote AR-15 assault rifles, magazines that show you how to build your own AK-47 rifle, how to master alternative shooting positions and so on.
Barnes and Noble Bookstores give everyone, including children, direct access to over 50 magazines that promote guns and violence.
After my daughter complained to our local bookstore with a threat that we would boycott and protest in front of the store, the manager did make one change: All the gun magazines were moved from a middle section to the back top row where children could not readily access them. If they are willing to fold so easily under the pressure of my 9-year-old daughter, maybe they will follow suit and just stop selling those magazines.
We have contacted the upper management of Barnes and Noble but received no response. The national group Women Against Gun Violence did respond and they've joined our fight against Barnes and Noble. My 9-year-old daughter has been asked to be a guest speaker at their 25th anniversary luncheon later this month and they will initiate a "postcard" campaign to encourage a boycott of Barnes and Noble Bookstores until they stop selling gun magazine
es.[/i]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by akasparky

Mean while, back at the ranch.

Trump isn't allowing anyone to post their views on his site.

And I support that, it's his right.

I also support the same right for anyone, no matter how big or how small their posting sites may become the content should always be left up to the sites owners and developers.

It'd be pretty nazi like for any governing body to dictate what one might desire to host as content on their web pages.

True about Donald Trump not allowing post on his site but he isn't doing it with just certain people. It's everyone. The others only ban those that don't further the agenda. They are practicing rule #2 as listed below.

“Communist Rules for Revolution.”
1. Corrupt the young: get them away from religion. Get them interested in sex. Make them superficial; destroy their ruggedness.
2. Get control of all means of publicity. Get peoples’ minds off their government by focusing their attention on athletics, sexy books, plays and other trivialities.
3. Divide people into hostile groups by constantly harping on controversial matters of no importance.
4. Destroy the peoples’ faith in their natural leaders by holding the latter up to contempt, ridicule and . (speak against, condemnatory utterances)
5. Always preach ;true democracy; but seize power as fast and as ruthlessly as possible.
6. By encouraging government extravagance, destroy its credit; produce fear of inflation, rising prices and general discontent.
7. Foment strikes in vital industries; encourage civil disorders and foster a lenient and soft attitude on the part of government toward these disorders.
8. By special argument cause a breakdown of the old moral virtues; honesty, sobriety, continence, faith in the pledged word, ruggedness.
9. Cause the registration of all firearms on some pretext with a view of confiscation of them and leaving the population helpless.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Facebook has been banning all conservatives, not just trump. I got banned...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No one is twisting anyone's arm to force them to log in, view, read or contribute to any social media sites or their content.

If you don't like what's being posted or banned on any site including this one, you're always free to leave.

You can even create your own social media site designed to directly compete with another site.

It's America, we have more freedoms than most any country on earth and I'd oppose any governing body that attempts to change that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where’s the line between a private company and public utility?

How is this any different than “white only” water fountains?

How can a bakery be forced to make a gay wedding cake?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Why wasn't this a priority the day after Trump was elected?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No one is twisting anyone's arm to force them to log in, view, read or contribute to any social media sites or their content.

If you don't like what's being posted or banned on any site including this one, you're always free to leave.

You can even create your own social media site designed to directly compete with another site.

It's America, we have more freedoms than most any country on earth and I'd oppose any governing body that attempts to change that.

^^^^100% dumb fugk. ^^^^

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by deflave

Good question. With a Republican House, Republican Senate, and Trump, there was too much stuff just ignored.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim1611

True about Donald Trump not allowing post on his site but he isn't doing it with just certain people. It's everyone. The others only ban those that don't further the agenda. They are practicing rule #2 as listed below.

“Communist Rules for Revolution.”

2. Get control of all means of publicity.
Get peoples’ minds off their government by focusing their attention on athletics, sexy books, plays and other trivialities.

That's a far reach, key words being, "Get control of all means of publicity", No one is capable of 'gaining control of ALL means.

Unless you are speaking of those opposing bans applied by different social media sites and attempting to create enforceable laws designed to defeat others rights.

#3 on this list is rather funny.
Originally Posted by Jim1611

3.. Divide people into hostile groups by constantly harping on controversial matters of no importance.

Ever pay attention to a election campaign in the United States?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Good question. With a Republican House, Republican Senate, and Trump, there was too much stuff just ignored.

They blew it, and it wasn't by accident.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

^^^^100% dumb fugk. ^^^^

What's dumb fugk is your lack of recognizing what a dictatorship is.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just like when they said if elected, they would repeal Obamacare "On Day One". Yeah....that didn't happen either.

I helped elect them and they lied to me. Takes more than a talking point now to get my support.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 11 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,600
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.