Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Are they compatable with Picatinny rails? I know they ought to be, but have any of you tried them? Don't have a set here right now to check.

I know I could go with the XTR's, but would like something lighter and sleeker.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The cross-slot of the rings is sized "Weaver."

Which, as you probably know will fit a Picatinny rail - but with a little slop.

I called Burris and asked the exact same question. I wanted to use the Zee Rings in conjuction with Burris Two Piece Extreme Bases. The bases are cut Picatinny. The Burris tech said yes. No problem with the combination.

I currently have 30mm Zee Rings mated with Burris Two Piece Extreme Bases on two rifles; a Heavy Barrel 223 and a sporter weight 30-06. Both work fine. I torque both rings and bases to factory specs. No slippage - no ring bite - no lapping.

I have used this combination on several set ups - mounting 30mm scopes that weight up to 26 ozs. No issues.

The last two sets of 30mm Zee Rings I purcashed came from SWFA at a substantial savings @ 49.99 each. That was $20 cheaper (per set) than any other source I could find online.

Hope this helps,
GB

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thank you GB, that is what I thought, but confirmation is good.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Actually, the Burris Zee rings are cut for picatinny.
They might be too tight to go on a Weaver.
You can carefully open them a bit w a screwdriver as a lever in the slot that allows for flex.

Note: Weaver bases can vary a bit too.
So once fitted a Burris Zee may still need tweaked open if used on a diff Weaver base.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have run reg and sig Burris Zee on pic rails and Weaver bases. Decades. Dozens of sets.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/06/21.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hookeye
Actually, the Burris Zee rings are cut for picatinny.
They might be too tight to go on a Weaver.
You can carefully open them a bit w a screwdriver as a lever in the slot that allows for flex.

Note: Weaver bases can vary a bit too.
So once fitted a Burris Zee may still need tweaked open if used on a diff Weaver base.

Incorrect. Standard Burris Zee rings as well as the Signature Zee rings are in fact cut for weaver.

Burris does make Signature Rings that are cut Picatinny - but - the standard Zee and Signature Zee rings are Weaver.

You may call Burris to confirm if you wish.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IIRC my zee ring packaging says they are for a Pic rail and there is no distinction between rings for Weaver or Pic on their site.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Picatinny is actually " weaver style " which is a common name for crossbolt ring.

Doesn't mean its cut for specific weaver dim.

They are made for pic dim, and usage on a Weaver often means prying them open a bit.

Hell i did two new sets of Signature Zees on Weaver bases this past month. Had to pry em open some.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
IIRC my zee ring packaging says they are for a Pic rail and there is no distinction between rings for Weaver or Pic on their site.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/signature-rings

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/zee-rings

Website specifically says "Weaver-style." For the Zee Rings and Signature Zee Rings.

The XTR Signature are cut Picatinny.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings.

Not trying to start a war. But the above links are straight from the manufacturer's website. Follow the links - they make a clear distinction which are Picatinny and which are Weaver-Style.

As I stated in my first reply - I called Burris and got the conformation straight from their tech.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
No big deal

The Zees will work on either Pic or Weaver base.

Kinda common knowledge, if used on a Weaver youll have to open em a bit.

Had to tell more than one customer that ( when they came in wondering wtf was wrong ).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah the XTR is for pic.
So are reg Zees.
But for Weaver usage you might have to pry em open.

The XTR ring has an adjustable separate piece clamp.
The Zee ring clamps are integral.

My guess is the XTR ring also has a big tab as a recoil stop and may not work w Weaver bases.

The smaller round crossbolt of the Zee ring works well w the non Pic dim slots of a Weaver base. Not all Weaver bases have a bearing surface in middle of slot. Some are edge only.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Picatinny is actually " weaver style " which is a common name for crossbolt ring.

Doesn't mean its cut for specific weaver dim.

They are made for pic dim, and usage on a Weaver often means prying them open a bit.

Hell i did two new sets of Signature Zees on Weaver bases this past month. Had to pry em open some.

Incorrect. Picatinny and Weaver-Style are not synonymous.

The Picatinny cut was standardized by the military in the 1990s. The cut is more square than the weaver-cut and deeper than the weaver-cut. The spacing between the slots of a Picatinny base is also different from the weaver-style spacing.

Because of this, the general rule of thumb is weaver-style cross slot rings will work with Picatinny bases....but not vise versa. Picatanny cross slot rings are too wide for weaver-style bases.

The reason you had to pry your zee rings open some is because of the way they are designed. They are designed to be held on by the friction of the sides of the ring. That is why there is a cut on one side - the screw head side - of the ring. As you tighten the ring, that side of the ring squzees against the base and is held by friction.

The lug is used to prevent foward movment during recoil. That is why you push the ring foward before tightening them down.

You do not have to "pry them open a bit" if you align the base and ring together during installation. They are machined to a close tolerance for a reason.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
No chit weaver and pic arent the same.
Thrre isnt much grip on either, hence the need for rhe recoil stop.

A zee ring will work on pic or weaver style.
Since pic rings specific have the square tab for the square slot, they proly wont fit most Weaver style bases.

I have run Burris sig and standard Zee rings on Weaver brand bases for 30 yrs and have had to open damn near all of them ( maybe all ) Read: no fuggin way theyd slide on otherwise.

And IIRC the literature w the rings explains that on non Pic rails thats what you might have to do.

Memory hazy but on my Recknagle pic rail I think my Zees slid right on.

Two new sets on 2 new Weaver rails for Contender ( 1 pc base ) and they had to be opened slightly. No go otherwis

Had to open my first set for a 700, 2 pc bases, back in the 90s.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Crossbolt slop is no big deal, since whatever one runs it needs crowded to bear against fwd edge of slot.
The clamping power alone is not enough to maintain position.

What Im talking about is the clamp width of the Burris zee rings.
They are sized for a Pic rail and need opened for a Weaver.
As dozens have proven to me over the years

And IIRC the literature w the Zee rings says ( used to say ) they are sized for Pic rail and may need opened for Weaver.

Hell they used to come w ring paper too ( if one actually opened the blister pack and the cardboard insert to read the instructions. LOL

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have been running Zee Rings for almost as long as you...20+ years. For all but 5 of those years, I ran them on Leupold "Weaver" bases. They were/are a perfect fit.

I've had dozens of that combination - and I have never had to pry them open. And, when I use the Zee Ring - which is a Weaver cut ring - I did not have to spread them open when I paired them with the Burris Extreme two-piece base - which by the way, is a Picatinny cut.

I also remember when friction paper was shipped with the standard Zee Rings. And, I don't have to depend on my memory.

I have two empty packages from the last two sest of Signature Zee rings I used. I have them in my hand.

I am reading the installation instructions as I type:

Step 4. Slide the rings onto the base and align the screw holes to the Weaver-style or Picatinny cross slots which you feel will position the scope best for support and eye relief. Adjust to different slots if needed.

No where in the installation instructions does it say "pry the ring to fit."

The installation instructions I am reading are for Burris 30mm SIGNATURE ZEE RINGS. Burris Part # 420588.

I can only offer you the respect to agree to disagree. I answered the original post correctly. A simple call to Burris will confirm...if needed.

You and I have reached the point where we agree with what each of us are saying for the most part. The rest...are moot points. I would wager that if the two of us were to sit together over a glass of Coke and each of us mount a scope side by side - we would probably come very close to doing it the exact same way.

Respectfully
GB

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Are they compatable with Picatinny rails? I know they ought to be, but have any of you tried them? Don't have a set here right now to check.

While GeorgiaBoy and hookeye are having a pissing contest let me just say that I have used them on both picatinny rails and weaver bases, my favorite rings..........love the offset inserts although they take a bit longer to install properly

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

While GeorgiaBoy and hookeye are having a pissing contest let me just say that I have used them on both picatinny rails and weaver bases, my favorite rings..........love the offset inserts although they take a bit longer to install properly

Dispite your banal comment, the OP has another conformation. I am a big fan of the Signature ZEE Rings as well.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The only difference between Weaver and a Picatinny rail is the slot size. Weaver is smaller, so a ring with a picatinny sized crossbolt won't fit. Weaver fits both.

Just scoot the weaver ring to the front of the slot before tightening. I have several "zee" and "xtr" . The zee is available lower than the xtr.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,536
Posts18,531,054
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.