Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I used to see that often, basketball players, football players.

Anyone notice it?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Of course. Why do you ask? That's a tradition that goes way back.

Interestingly, the Eastern Churches cross themselves in the opposite way, and criticize the Western Churches for departing from the ancient tradition of doing it their way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s their version of “hold my beer, watch this!!!”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It goes, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
Personally I don't think it is shown as a display, it should be a personal reminder of faith.
Of course some are obsessed that religion is a competition. Mocking faith shows their hatred and insecurity of true faith. They are jealous, and it shows.
Asking about faith and mouthing about tradition usually shows insecurity in my opinion.
Religion to many is a soap box, the highest box usually belongs to those that lack true faith.
Jesus was condemned to death because he took a whip to those in church that were exploiting religion.
He basically said churches are corrupt, and real church is of the individual commitment, no false organization. Church and all the fakes are exploiters and extortionists should be destroyed.
Power trippy church ushers, pedo pastors, people that think talking/attend a church once a week means they are "good". Thinking you are better than a Baptist, Catholic, Protestant, or an Atheist doing Gods work is the sign of those in peril. Those are the crew that hung Jesus. Easy to see the insecure, and those that have a bad heart for God.

So yes as RH said, it is interesting why this question is asked? To be a better person, or to scorn those that bless themselves in the name of the Trinity. I guess Wabigoon has a good answer.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I have no problem with it, thanks for the replies.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I would hope not.

Don't you have a female leading your flock?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Mirrors are interesting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Vain repetition, Pharisaical public displays:

hey looka me, I’m sanctified and you’re not

not my thing, my Jesus is at the right hand of God, not still hanging on a cross. I don’t need to pervert incel in a wardrobe closet to make intercessory on my behalf

to each, their own

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Anyone notice it?

What does it matter except to a hypocritically so called other Christian of another faith ?

Are you really that stupid that in the name of God you have to demean other Christian practises .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I make the Sign of the Cross several times a day. Spur of the moment usually. For the record, I am Christian, not Catholic.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Flyer01

Anyone notice it?

What does it matter except to a hypocritically so called other Christian of another faith ?

Are you really that stupid that in the name of God you have to demean other Christian practises .

? ?

Pour 3 fingers of good scotch and get back to us.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don’t look at me when I’m doing this!

Hahaha

Mind your own fuggin business.

You put your hand on your heart when you say the Pledge?

You put your hand to yer head to salute someone ‘in command’?

I don’t give a fugg whatchu do, if it means something to you, it might not to me. But don’t you fuggin dare ask me why I do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was a normal part of every day when we were kids and upward. Our city was a true ethnic mixmaster and many of the folks (neighborhoods) were mainly first generation American parents, or maybe grandparents. Many were Irish, Italian, German, Polish, Ukrainian, etc. and most of those families were Roman Catholic.

So, seeing the sign of the cross was common - when a kid went up to bat, before shooting a free throw, when going on stage to play a musical piece, before diving off the high rock into the river, etc. Always seemed sincere, and a normal event.

The Eastern Orthodox kids (Greek, Russian, and some Latvian, Estonian, Lithuanian) rarely made their sign - I did see that when I went to their church activities with them - but they were never very public with their religious gesture.

I didn't have one - but would tap the plate three times with the bat. Hoping for a fastball waist high, or a curve up,

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Anyone notice it?

I think Wabigoon was simply curious.
I grew up Roman Catholic and most people wonder why we look like eastern indians with a dot on our foreheads one day out of the year . The normal response is, don't you know, it's Ash Wednesday. 😏. Come on man.

I have no problem answering questions about my faith as long as its a sincere question. Coming from Wabi, I think you can be sure of that. As for the after ten oclock happy hour crowd, you'll hear all kinds of responses.

I've had fellow Catholic and family ask why I am no longer.
I point them to the brief message in my signature.
The pastor was actually invited to speak to a lot of RC schools like this. Good message IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Anyone notice it?

Don't forget his many posts strutting around announcing on a hunting forum how great he and his church are. I think that tops making the sign of the cross as spectacular attention ploy for narcissist religion. Look at me I an usher and my faith is greater than yours. Let's piss on those other Christians seems pretty straight forward. Pretty easy to map that to the 7 deadly sins.

I don't agree he is just curious, and not disruptive. Just like in the cooking forum where he asks (as a troll) how to boil water, or did anyone ever eat chicken salad. Tons of other posts not to help people, but disrupt. Religious values should build community, not destroy community. Cooking forum section is a fairly positive place where people share love of food. I can really say it is an odd place for a troll. But trolls at their roots are jealous.

Irony and hypocrisy.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Terryk

Don't forget his many posts strutting around announcing on a hunting forum how great he and his church are. I think that tops making the sign of the cross as spectacular attention ploy for narcissist religion. Look at me I an usher and my faith is greater than yours. Let's piss on those other Christians seems pretty straight forward. Pretty easy to map that to the 7 deadly sins.

I don't agree he is just curious, and not disruptive. Just like in the cooking forum where he asks (as a troll) how to boil water, or did anyone ever eat chicken salad. Tons of other posts not to help people, but disrupt. Religious values should build community, not destroy community. Cooking forum section is a fairly positive place where people share love of food. I can really say it is an odd place for a troll. But trolls at their roots are jealous.

Irony and hypocrisy.

I agree, there are plenty of other web sites made for all the religion in the world one would want and maybe that's where it should be taken. It's getting old around here.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You can’t be Catholic and vote Democrat!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I could care less what other folks believe in. Or there particular customs. As long as they simply leave me the hell alone.

I feel it's none of my damn business

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Terryk

Anyone notice it?

Irony and hypocrisy.

Wabigoon is a douche bag prick.

Some figure these things out quicker than most.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
You can’t be Catholic and vote Democrat!

But in the last poll I saw, 52% of the Catholics voted for Biden. Please educate me as to why the Catholic Church hasn't excommunicated Biden.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.